Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Loughlin/Giannulli legal team has a former prosecutor (Asst. U. S. Dist. Attorney for Massachussetts). With that experience, I don't think Attorney Trach would not be so cavalier as to see "how this plays out" just based on the evidence. He is experienced in prosecuting white collar crimes including fraud. I would imagine he was advocating for a deal as he knows this is not going away. I am sure he knew more charges were coming. With phone call transcript from Singer and the financial documents mentioned in the court papers, the extent of the legal issues has to be clear. For the Loughlin/Giannulli family, it is not simple mistake as they participated in the scheme 2x, took/submitted photos, and on. Time for a legal team meeting with this couple for some real talk and reminder that who you are is based on facts in evidence not your resume in television.

Last edited:
The standardized test-taking savant who was paid off to pose as high school students and ace SATs and ACTs is expected to plead guilty this afternoon.

Mark Riddell, 36, will plead guilty in Boston to two charges: one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

He agreed to the terms in a plea deal signed last month in exchange for his cooperation with investigators and a reduced sentence.

Prosecutors want Riddell to serve 36 months of supervised release and a pay $239,449.42 fine, which is about what he earned from his crimes, his plea agreement states. He had faced 20 years in prison.

Mark Riddell, the college admissions scam's test-taking guru, is set to plead guilty Friday - CNN

Interesting. No jail time. Just goes to show that it is important to get the deal first or as close to first as possible.

Mr. Wonderful is exactly right- he has good core values and wants his kids to have those as well. In other words, they have to earn their way through life, not inherit it, or cheat their way through life.

I love this:

“We were getting on a flight to Geneva, it’s a long flight, and Trevor said to me, ‘Dad, why is it every time we get on this flight, I have to take a left and go sit in the back of the plane, and you take a right and go to the front? [You] sit in a big chair and they roll roast beef on a trolley by you, and I’m back in 69D.’”

O’Leary says he has a simple answer: “I say, ‘Trevor, you don’t have any money.’”

“My son is making the connection between money and personal freedom,” O’Leary wrote. “I think that’s the greatest gift I’ve ever given him: to help him see that connection. And I constantly reinforce it by doing Mean Dad things like making him sit in those crappy economy seats.”

Kevin O'Leary flies first class, but makes his kids fly coach — here's why

“My son is making the connection between money and personal freedom,” O’Leary wrote. “I think that’s the greatest gift I’ve ever given him: to help him see that connection. And I constantly reinforce it by doing Mean Dad things like making him sit in those crappy economy seats.”
Snipped

Hmm....I don't know. I don't think it's all about money. I don't deny the freedom that money can buy (ask any woman stuck in an abusive marriage who thinks she can't survive on her own), but you can also have personal freedom without a big bank account. Maybe even more - the freedom not to be concerned about thinking economy seats are the "crappy" ones and instead enjoy the ride.

The emphasis on MONEY is the whole problem, imo.

But, yeah, good to remind your kid that if he wants to fly first-class, he needs his own money, not dad's.

jmo

Snipped

Hmm....I don't know. I don't think it's all about money.

The emphasis on MONEY is the whole problem, imo.

But, yeah, good to remind your kid that if he wants to fly first-class, he needs his own money, not dad's.

I agree.

The issue should not be motivating the kid to fly in First Class rather than Coach.

The issue should be to motivate the kid to fly MORE and see and experience MORE of life. And know that Coach is a perfectly decent way to experience life in all it’s own richness.

The Loughlin/Giannulli legal team has a former prosecutor (Asst. U. S. Dist. Attorney for Massachussetts). With that experience, I don't think Attorney Trach would not be so cavalier as to see "how this plays out" just based on the evidence. He is experienced in prosecuting white collar crimes including fraud. I would imagine he was advocating for a deal as he knows this is not going away. I am sure he knew more charges were coming. With phone call transcript from Singer and the financial documents mentioned in the court papers, the extent of the legal issues has to be clear. For the Loughlin/Giannulli family, it is not simple mistake as they participated in the scheme 2x, took/submitted photos, and on. Time for a legal team meeting with this couple for some real talk and reminder that who you are is based on facts in evidence not your resume in television.

Excellent comment.

They have the best advice money can buy. What they chose to do with that advice will tell us so much about their character.

So far, it’s showing an awful lot of denial and outrage over loss of the special privilege that being rich can provide.

I also disagree that there isn’t any story there.

There’s an amazing story: Aunt Becky: The Felony Years

It’s just that they can’t control the narrative, nor can they make any money off of the eventual cheesy TV movie that comes out of this

Lori Loughin doesn't believe she did anything 'any mother wouldn't have done' | Daily Mail Online

This is not going to work as a defense.

This comes across as “It isnt a crime because we’re rich”

• This will resonate very poorly with the court. All the prosecution has to do is put OJ on the stand make it very apparent that it wasn’t her deepest desire to go to USC to earn a degree, and that she only went along with it to please her mother. That OJ knowingly agreed to the scheme and LL will be receiving an even longer sentence in prison.
Lori is 54, Does she really want to spend her next 10+ birthdays in prison?
She's saying here that it's ok to cheat to get your child into college, a specific college she has chosen because she doesn't think the others are good enough . To LL this is all about status and what she wants, it has nothing to do with what's best for her children.
So if cheating is acceptable would she also think it ok for someone to rob a bank if that's the only way they could afford their child's tuition ? Didn't she rob another student out of their spot at USC ?
I wonder if she taught her children it was ok to cheat their way through school.
What a warped and distorted sense of reality she has.

Whoever it is releasing these statements to the press couldn't possibly be her friend, at least IMO.

Last edited:
According to Lor... err.... a source:

She is very concerned about what a guilty plea would do to her daughters, who may not have grasped everything that was going on,” the source says.

“Yes, she can think about the public perception of her, but that’s nothing compared to what her daughters think of her. So that is something that has understandably made her less likely to enter a plea.

“It’s just taking some time for it to sink in that what she was allegedly doing could be considered illegal,” says the source. “To her, it wasn’t egregious behavior. Was it entitled and perhaps selfish? Perhaps. But she didn’t see it as being a legal violation.”

“From the beginning, she didn’t want to take a deal, because she felt that she hadn’t done anything that any mom wouldn’t have done, if they had the means to do so,” the source continues. “So this wasn’t her being obstinate; this was her truly not understanding the seriousness of the allegations.”

Lori Loughlin 'Is Very Concerned What A Guilty Plea Would Do to Her Daughters': Source

She has had multiple high powered lawyers since day 1, and she is still saying she does not understand the seriousness???!!?

Lori Loughlin doesn’t yet accept that it was against the law for her and her husband Mossimo Giannulli to pay $500,000 to have their two daughters admitted to the University of Southern California posing as crew athletes.

“To her, it wasn’t egregious behavior. Was it entitled and perhaps selfish? Perhaps. But she didn’t see it as being a legal violation.” The source added that it was “taking some time for it to sink in.”

Loughlin thought she was being a good parent getting her daughters into the prestigious private university, the insider said.

“From the beginning, she didn’t want to take a deal, because she felt that she hadn’t done anything that any mom wouldn’t have done, if they had the means to do so,” People quoted the person as saying.

Loughlin and Giannulli are delaying a plea deal because “they are hoping to just let this play out in the judicial system,” citing an insider close to the pair.

They are innocent until proven guilty,” the source added.

Lori Loughlin Felt She Did What Any Mother Would Do, Report Says | HuffPost

Lori needs to stop talking through her "sources". She sounds ridiculous.

I find it humorous that she feels "she did what any mother would do". Ok Lori, here is what this mother did. We had our high school age children assessed by a tutor to determine which test, ACT/SAT would be best for them to take. We then had them take the test to determine where they needed assistance. We then hired a tutor to assist them in these areas. Each and every time they improved their scores! They took the tests themselves and they earned their own scores. Could we have paid $500,000 to have our child be admitted into a college they were not qualified for? No! Could we have paid to cheat? Yes we could have! Would that have ever crossed our minds? I can say with confidence, Absolutely Not! You have got to be delusional to think that "any mother would do the same".

Last edited:
Lori Loughlin doesn’t yet accept that it was against the law for her and her husband Mossimo Giannulli to pay $500,000 to have their two daughters admitted to the University of Southern California posing as crew athletes.

“To her, it wasn’t egregious behavior. Was it entitled and perhaps selfish? Perhaps. But she didn’t see it as being a legal violation.” The source added that it was “taking some time for it to sink in.”

Loughlin thought she was being a good parent getting her daughters into the prestigious private university, the insider said.

“From the beginning, she didn’t want to take a deal, because she felt that she hadn’t done anything that any mom wouldn’t have done, if they had the means to do so,” People quoted the person as saying.

Loughlin and Giannulli are delaying a plea deal because “they are hoping to just let this play out in the judicial system,” citing an insider close to the pair.

They are innocent until proven guilty,” the source added.

Lori Loughlin Felt She Did What Any Mother Would Do, Report Says | HuffPost

Lori needs to stop talking through her "sources". She sounds ridiculous.
Well, I certainly believe that she did not think this was a big deal! It seems like in her bubble world, this is just what you do to get what you want. The very wealthy are used to buying whatever it is what they want - and when getting "access" is a bigger obstacle than price, you just pay for that too. They don't even think it's big deal. Like, oh you want to jump the line for an exclusive Birkin bag - I got a person who can take care of that. You need Super Bowl tickets - okay cool, got an in from this guy to purchase, meet you later for the handoff. Oh you want the girls to go to USC? I got a guy who takes care of that.

And then it's all great, cool, thanks, you're the best yay! Write the check and done! I really don't think she thought of this as being criminal. Just find a person who can "make it happen" - in their insular world, that's what they do. In her little elite world, apparently she thinks this is the norm of what alpha moms do. Now she wants a lawyer and a crisis publicist who can "make this go away." I hope she gets a cold, harsh dose of reality.

I find it humorous that she feels "she did what any mother would do". Ok Lori, here is what this mother did. We had our high school age children assessed by a tutor to determine which test, ACT/SAT would be best for them to take. We then had them take the test to determine where they needed assistance. We then hired a tutor to assist them in these areas. Each and every time they improved their scores! They looked the tests themselves and they earned their own scores. Could we have paid $500,000 to have our child be admitted into a college they were not qualified for? No! Could we have paid to cheat? Yes we could have! Would that have ever crossed our minds? I can say with confidence, Absolutely Not! You have got to be delusional to think that "any mother would do the same".

Yes, why did we waste all of that time, yes, actual TIME, spent with teens, at the kitchen table working out calculus problems.

It would have been so much easier to just write a check. Why didn't I think of that?

Well, I certainly believe that she did not think this was a big deal! It seems like in her bubble world, this is just what you do to get what you want. The very wealthy are used to buying whatever it is what they want - and when getting "access" is a bigger obstacle than price, you just pay for that too. They don't even think it's big deal. Like, oh you want to jump the line for an exclusive Birkin bag - I got a person who can take care of that. You need Super Bowl tickets - okay cool, got an in from this guy to purchase, meet you later for the handoff. Oh you want the girls to go to USC? I got a guy who takes care of that.

And then it's all great, cool, thanks, you're the best yay! Write the check and done! I really don't think she thought of this as being criminal. Just find a person who can "make it happen" - in their insular world, that's what they do. In her little elite world, apparently she thinks this is the norm of what alpha moms do. Now she wants a lawyer and a crisis publicist who can "make this go away." I hope she gets a cold, harsh dose of reality.
I would maybe believe she thought writing the check was no big deal, but it was more than writing a check. She posed her kids in photos to make it look like they were on the crew team. Her husband yelled at the high school counselor who questioned the crew thing. When told the IRS would be calling, she agreed to say the money was for charity.

She did more than write a check to a guy who takes care of college admissions.

However, I think the defense will be that she intended just to write a check for the services of Rick handling the admissions process for the family, but that the family got caught up in HIS lies, etc.

jmo

Yes, why did we waste all of that time, yes, actual TIME, spent with teens, at the kitchen table working out calculus problems.

It would have been so much easier to just write a check. Why didn't I think of that?

Why even bother writing a check?

Do what the Isackson’s did and transfer some of your Facebook stock. *Just don’t tell the IRS about it

I know!!!!! Some of the absolute most painful times as a parent were spent on homework and preparing for exams. That being said.... Some of the most beautiful times were spent sharing in the victory and success of hard work. Shame on her!

"'Olivia is devastated and completely embarrassed. She feels like she’s lost nearly all of her friends because of this. She’s barely speaking to her parents,' a friend who has been in touch with the 19-year-old told CNN."

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/12/oliv...56.2002926879.1552927834-383419253.1550162351

Normally when I follow a case, I want information about everything - the more, the better.

In this case, with the Loughlin/Giannulli family.....STOP! Enough. Be quiet.

jmo

^^ I'm getting tired of their 'sources'. If they really are 'sources', Lori & co need to stop talking to whomever they are speaking to until they find the leak. But somehow I am doubting this is a leak. Nobody's leaking anything about the other families. We still don't even know who the $6.5 million man or woman is. Nothing's coming out - unless you want it to. IMO

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member