Found Deceased Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Good to know. But, they would have to refill the tank in the car before returning it to the airport. Were they looking for an open gas station? I hope they can get the information off the computer in the car.
There are always open gas stations very close to an airport. Or, the car rental company will be happy to charge you for the fill up, at a higher rate than you'd pay at the pump.

Alcohol, Car Speed Factors in Couple's Caribbean Death: Cops

Police in the Dominican Republic say alcohol, high speed and dark roads may have been factors in the deaths of a couple from Mount Vernon who apparently crashed their rental car on their way to the airport after a romantic getaway in the Caribbean.

[...]

Police on Friday said they believe the Moore and Ravenelle were on their way to the airport when Moore, who was driving, lost control of their rental car and crashed into the Caribbean Sea.

Dominican Republic National Police Col. Frank Felix Duran Mejia told News 4 Moore — who had been seen drinking before the two left for the airport — was last seen on surveillance video at tolls minutes from the airport.

The two were running late and may have been speeding on a dark road when they lost control of the car, he said.

Police believe the two had made a wrong turn and had reversed course when the crash happened.

Investigators believe Ravenelle was able to get out just as the car careened into the sea. Dominican police do not believe foul play was involved.

[...]

RE: the picture of the iphone, it looks like it was put in a blender!
I am getting more and more blown away by this case by the minute...

This is so strange. So he washes up on shore miles away. She is on the highway with no ID. She is in the hospital 8 days unidentified. The car cannot be retrieved for days until it settles down due to the "blender" and turbulent water. The car is pretty much destroyed. The car even falls from being lifted and it hits the rocks on the way up. Yet they find a phone?? Where? Was it lodged in the car somewhere so hard that those churning waters did not break it free? Possible I guess but how odd... Like everything else...

It was this article where it said Portia escaped the car as it went into the water.

“Ravenelle was found badly injured on the side of a road on March 27, the day she and Orlando Moore were due to fly home.

According to the Dominican Authorities, Ravanelle managed to escape the car crash as the automobile went under water. She was admitted to a hospital with no documents and was unidentified when she was pronounced dead there April 4.”

Mount Vernon couple dies after car plunges into sea in Dominican Republic

I'd say first, this source doesn't say she climbed out of the water, it makes a dramatic statement about 'escaping the car crash', which, since she died, is patently untrue.

Secondly, how would a reporter in Mount Vernon know more about this case than police authorities in the DR? Do they cite any previously unknown witnesses? Have they flown to the DR to indepently interview sources themselves? Or did they just pick up the same story on the internet that the rest of us did, and embellish it with some drama?

This is so strange. So he washes up on shore miles away. She is on the highway with no ID. She is in the hospital 8 days unidentified. The car cannot be retrieved for days until it settles down due to the "blender" and turbulent water. The car is pretty much destroyed. The car even falls from being lifted and it hits the rocks on the way up. Yet they find a phone?? Where? Was it lodged in the car somewhere so hard that those churning waters did not break it free? Possible I guess but how odd... Like everything else...

sorry, I am missing something- where is there information about finding a phone?... (if she had it in her hand, maybe it was the first thing out of the car, and landed in vegetation?)

It was this article where it said Portia was able to escape the car as it went under water.

“Ravenelle was found badly injured on the side of a road on March 27, the day she and Orlando Moore were due to fly home.

According to the Dominican Authorities, Ravanelle managed to escape the car crash as the automobile went under water. She was admitted to a hospital with no documents and was unidentified when she was pronounced dead there April 4.”

Mount Vernon couple dies after car plunges into sea in Dominican Republic
I think the Spanish text says:

Los investigadores creen que Ravenelle pudo haber salido del vehículo justo cuando el automóvil se precipitó hacia el mar...

Meaning:

Investigators believe that Ravenelle may have left the vehicle just as the car rushed toward the sea...

Here, ”left“ doesn’t mean she actively left / managed to leave but her body (forcefully) ”left“ (was removed from) the car, and certainly she was not leaving the car when it was in the water IMO. Maybe someone who speaks native Spanish can chime in.

I'd say first, this source doesn't say she climbed out of the water, it makes a dramatic statement about 'escaping the car crash', which, since she died, is patently untrue.

Secondly, how would a reporter in Mount Vernon know more about this case than police authorities in the DR? Do they cite any previously unknown witnesses? Have they flown to the DR to indepently interview sources themselves? Or did they just pick up the same story on the internet that the rest of us did, and embellish it with some drama?
I spent the afternoon looking up and reading DR’s local newspapers in Spanish. None of them stated she climbed out of the car in the water or up the mountain. They all stated that she was found near the roadway with major head and other types of trauma.

I think the Spanish text says:

Los investigadores creen que Ravenelle pudo haber salido del vehículo justo cuando el automóvil se precipitó hacia el mar...

Meaning:

Investigators believe that Ravenelle may have left the vehicle just as the car rushed toward the sea...

Here, ”left“ doesn’t mean she actively left / managed to leave but her body (forcefully) ”left“ (was removed from) the car, and certainly she was not leaving the car when it was in the water IMO. Maybe someone who speaks native Spanish can chime in.
Exactly what you said. It means her body may have left the car as it careened into the sea.

I had a friend and his spouse who were driving on a snow covered road in a rear wheel drive vehicle. They began to descend a hill and he was losing control of the car. He told his spouse to bail out of the car, which she did. She rolled onto the edge of the road and eventually down an embankment. Thank goodness she was unhurt and not killed by other cars or rocks. I do wonder if Portia did bail.

Do we have a set time for them leaving Semana?
It seems odd that they are suspecting alcohol without evidence besides the report of drinking earlier in the night.
Where were they from the time they left the disco until the 1:30 crash sounds the fishermen heard?

I spent the afternoon looking up and reading DR’s local newspapers in Spanish. None of them stated she climbed out of the car in the water or up the mountain. They all stated that she was found near the roadway with major head and other types of trauma.

If you watch the video clip above, NEWS4 did send a reporter to DR to interview people and there is a clip of local police showing what they say is damage to a tree and a path through vegetation, where they say the car went off the cliff

Last edited:

Police in the Dominican Republic say alcohol, high speed and dark roads may have been factors in the deaths of a couple from Mount Vernon who apparently crashed their rental car on their way to the airport after a romantic getaway in the Caribbean.

[...]

Police on Friday said they believe the Moore and Ravenelle were on their way to the airport when Moore, who was driving, lost control of their rental car and crashed into the Caribbean Sea.

Dominican Republic National Police Col. Frank Felix Duran Mejia told News 4 Moore — who had been seen drinking before the two left for the airport — was last seen on surveillance video at tolls minutes from the airport.

The two were running late and may have been speeding on a dark road when they lost control of the car, he said.

Police believe the two had made a wrong turn and had reversed course when the crash happened.

Investigators believe Ravenelle was able to get out just as the car careened into the sea. Dominican police do not believe foul play was involved.

[...]
Ok...so they are spelling it out but am I understanding this right?

He had been drinking, was speeding to get to the airport and made a wrong turn on a dark road...

Did they 'reverse course' and go over the cliff in reverse?

Last edited:

[...]

[...]

So we have a high rate of speed and a downhill oceanbound car but at the last split second she manages to get out of the car. Wow. Okay. We have went from on the road to in the water to now at the last split second getting out. Four days in the hospital to eight with no idea by LE of any accident or investigation? I even know the difference between quatro and ocho dias, I do not see that getting lost in translation.

Let's see some video starting with the hotel, then the toll booth and anything else. I would also like to see their check-out time at the front desk. Thank goodness for those fishermen who apparently never talked to LE about a woman or seeing a car in the ocean until pressure came on about a missing couple? So they heard a crash up on the highway per an article, they found a woman on the highway and they saw a car in the ocean. Did they see the car come down the "slope"?

If this or I am incorrect then there is a real problem with providing actual facts.

And I will still stick with the fact that I do not believe it was unknown that there was a flight that left the country missing two tourists and that a rental car was not returned by a couple of which the woman called expressing her concerns that very day.

jmo. so far.

From that same article

“Detectives spoke to fishermen who said they heard a loud noise coming from 19 kilometers (about 11.8 miles) away from the freeway of Las Americas, Santo Domingo Este early that morning, the National Police said.

The fishermen said they found a woman who was seriously injured and not carrying any identification, police said.

She was taken by ambulance to the hospital with severe trauma and contusions to the head, hospital spokesman Dario Mañon said.

Ravenelle died April 4, before she was in a condition in which hospital officials could take her photo and share it with the media, he said. Mañon told CNN that no family or friends had called the hospital looking for Ravenelle.
So was what they heard the car crashing off the cliff to the surf below? Or a bump and rob?

So we have a high rate of speed and a downhill oceanbound car but at the last split second she manages to get out of the car. Wow. Okay. We have went from on the road to in the water to now at the last split second getting out. Four days in the hospital to eight with no idea by LE of any accident or investigation? I even know the difference between quatro and ocho dias, I do not see that getting lost in translation.

Let's see some video starting with the hotel, then the toll booth and anything else. I would also like to see their check-out time at the front desk. Thank goodness for those fishermen who apparently never talked to LE about a woman or seeing a car in the ocean until pressure came on about a missing couple? So they heard a crash up on the highway per an article, they found a woman on the highway and they saw a car in the ocean. Did they see the car come down the "slope"?

If this or I am incorrect then there is a real problem with providing actual facts.

And I will still stick with the fact that I do not believe it was unknown that there was a flight that left the country missing two tourists and that a rental car was not returned by a couple of which the woman called expressing her concerns that very day.

jmo. so far.
I assume the ”she was able“ to get out of the car is another translation problem. As @Suglo said, this is not what local news reported.

Ok...so they are spelling it out but am I understanding this right?

He had been drinking, was speeding to get to the airport and made a wrong turn...

Did they 'reverse course' and go over the cliff in reverse?

I am wondering if they made a crazy U or K turn when they were still going a bit fast for such a maneuver. Maybe the GPS said to turn around.

I am also wondering if the currents are such that it is reasonable that his body went to Sans Souci or if that seems unusual. It seems odd that both bodies were out of the car and were so far apart. IMO.

I had a friend and his spouse who were driving on a snow covered road in a rear wheel drive vehicle. They began to descend a hill and he was losing control of the car. He told his spouse to bail out of the car, which she did. She rolled onto the edge of the road and eventually down an embankment. Thank goodness she was unhurt and not killed by other cars or rocks. I do wonder if Portia did bail.

Do we have a set time for them leaving Semana?
It seems odd that they are suspecting alcohol without evidence besides the report of drinking earlier in the night.
Where were they from the time they left the disco until the 1:30 crash sounds the fishermen heard?

Yes I don't think much of the headline alcohol and speed MAY have been factors. If you dont know, do not say it. That is rag talk without backup. If they knew this as fact, they would back it up.

In one article, they had dinner and watched a movie with another woman. They left or went to pack and check out about 9:30 to 10:00.

So now the fishermen heard a crash at 1:30? They went through the toll booth at 1:41 so that makes no sense either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back