CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

I know this is difficult to see... The yellow arrow is pointing to a horizontal line. That horizontal line means to me that there's an H there and since this is a will that means Lib is getting a house along with her $25,000. More to come later...

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 43
On page 2 of the letter our guy mentions a "glider". His tent bag mentions "Standard Long Australia" Standard Long is a type of "Glider". In the drawing on the front of the notebook there is something that looks like a cross but it isn't quite right. Inside of the heart are things that our guy loves. He loves cats and of course gliders.

Attachments

• Glider.jpg
    Glider.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 45
Page 3 starts out with "car on the dash" which means that the end of the age before it there must be mention of the car or the person who has it. Our guy always uses apostrophes so we know that word isn't "can't" and must be "want"

Attachments

• car on the dash.jpg
    car on the dash.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 42
The last page to me looks like, from the pictures on NamUs:

? for letters I have no idea on, [] for letters gathered from context,

?ar on the???.
Would you call her [a]nd have it sent to you because I [want] it to
Where

To me, it seems it seem like the UID left some kind of item with another woman (other than Lib), and wants Lib to have it in the event of his death. It seems like he'd saying something like "Would you call her and have it sent to you because I want it to go where it would be appreciates" or "where it belongs" or something.
i
I
any chance the "any" or "ang" are his initials?

To me it looks like "any" Keys or "anything inside" referring to the house he's giving to Lib

The gliders he likes are not powered at all. If they land in the middle of nowhere then it would make sense to have some camping gear inside in case you're not easily found.

There are several sites nearby where he could have gone up in a glider and then crashed/landed in the "Flat Tops".

The world record for one of these glider flights is 900 miles so he's well within range of 3 or 4 places that offer these flights with the closest being Aspen.

I couldn't find any info about a crashed glider or lost pilot though. The glider could have landed and sunk in a body water I suppose.

However I just can't imagine bringing that many packs of smokes on what would have been a routing glider ride for him.

I don't know Colorado and I don't know much about Gliding but there are several Gliding/Sailplane clubs along that immediate area.
A large flat area (Flat Tops) surrounded by mountains would be the ideal place for this kind of thing. The mountains are need to provide lift to the glider.

Even though I don't think that he was in a glider that day it seems unlikely that he wasn't involved with one of those nearby gliding clubs. There's only four or five in the immediate area and I bet one of them has or had a member named Elizabeth that liked to go by "Lib" or "Libbe"

Without having much background in this particular case, I surmise that either this man had been injured and knew that he might not make it out alive "get saved".

OR - that he had some terminal illness and had gone into the wilderness to spend his last days waiting for death.

The way he says, "If my situation here doesn't improve, this may be the end of my journey", could be interpreted a couple of ways. First, he may have been hiking and got injured or snowed in and was in a survival situation, "here" in the wilderness.

Or Second, he may have been referring to his undergoing some sort of medical treatment, and was writing the letter about that "situation" - the "here" meaning the state of Colorado.

Were there any terminally ill persons, or patients who disappeared or stopped going for treatments?

It does not seem like a suicide note, but he does go into detail about his preferences for funeral arrangements.

The fact that he had 20 packs of cigarettes with him would indicate that he planned to be camping there for a while. Most backpackers prefer to travel light and to keep moving rather than sitting on their butt and lighting up a camel.

What other supplies did he have with him? Was he stocked up with food and water? Did he have a heat source? Hiking equipment? Maybe one could draw better conclusions if more is known about him.

The first picture inside the heart reminds me of one of those drawings where some people see an old lady and some people see a young woman. I stared and stared at that mountain/bell for days and never saw that there's clearly a number "12" on the peek of the mountain.

Our guy is simply showing us the things that he loves (that's why they're inside a heart). In my other post I hopefully convinced you that the third picture inside the heart is a glider/sailplane.

Flat Tops John Doe is a big outdoorsman. Serious mountain climbers classify themselves as 12 ers, 13 ers or 14 ers. If you climb a 12,000 ft mountain, you'd be a "12 er". If you climbed a 13,000 ft mountain you'd be a "13 er" etc..

So the first picture is showing us that he loves mountain climbing.......

Here's a link to a website devoted to Colorado 12-ers
Colorado 12ers : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

upload_2019-4-11_18-34-13.jpeg

Attachments

• 12er.png
    12er.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 12c.jpg
    12c.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 52
The second picture inside the heart is fantastic. When I first tell you what it is, you'll think I'm crazy but I'm confident that it's correct.
I originally thought this was a fox and not a cat until a friend pointed out that a fox would likely have more of a snout/muzzle like a dog does.

The important part of the cat is his eyes.....

As tough as it is too see , you can tell that the cats eyes are closed.
Does that mean he's sleeping or even dead ? - No because if he was sleeping or dead he would be laying down.
He's standing up but his eyes are closed because........................He's sleepy!
Our guy was likely hiking toward his favorite nearby mountain which was about 12 hours away on foot or 2 hours away by car.
The name of that mountain..................Sleepy Cat Mountain!

Sleepy Cat Peak : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

Attachments

• sleep3.jpg
    sleep3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 41
  • sleepy cat.png
    sleepy cat.png
    628.4 KB · Views: 40
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 38
The second picture inside the heart is fantastic. When I first tell you what it is, you'll think I'm crazy but I'm confident that it's correct.
I originally thought this was a fox and not a cat until a friend pointed out that a fox would likely have more of a snout/muzzle like a dog does.

The important part of the cat is his eyes.....

As tough as it is too see , you can tell that the cats eyes are closed.
Does that mean he's sleeping or even dead ? - No because if he was sleeping or dead he would be laying down.
He's standing up but his eyes are closed because........................He's sleepy!
Our guy was likely hiking toward his favorite nearby mountain which was about 12 hours away on foot or 2 hours away by car.
The name of that mountain..................Sleepy Cat Mountain!

Sleepy Cat Peak : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

The only problem with this is he wasn't found at the map location you posted, he was found much farther South near No Name Creek. The closest peaks near him would be Baxter or Flatiron mnt. Though Sleepy cat is a location he might have visited previously?

The only problem with this is he wasn't found at the map location you posted, he was found much farther South near No Name Creek. The closest peaks near him would be Baxter or Flatiron mnt. Though Sleepy cat is a location he might have visited previously?

I clicked on the "map" link on the Namus listing. That link shows you where the body was found. I'm showing you in the picture I've attached to this posting. The picture I included earlier is directions from that spot to Sleepy Cat Peak.

Namus also includes a set of GPS coordinates in that posting and that's what you're using to say he was further south. I wasn't aware that they would be two different spots on the map and I'm not sure which is correct.

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14
I clicked on the "map" link on the Namus listing. That link shows you where the body was found. I'm showing you in the picture I've attached to this posting. The picture I included earlier is directions from that spot to Sleepy Cat Peak.

Namus also includes a set of GPS coordinates in that posting and that's what you're using to say he was further south. I wasn't aware that they would be two different spots on the map and I'm not sure which is correct.

The GPS coordinates in the posting is the correct location. if you zoom in to maps you can see the creek next to that location is No Name Creek. There is a rest area where I believe you can follow No Name creek all the way up to this location, but I'm not completely sure since I came from forest rd 602 which will also lead you to this spot.

The GPS coordinates in the posting is the correct location. if you zoom in to maps you can see the creek next to that location is No Name Creek. There is a rest area where I believe you can follow No Name creek all the way up to this location, but I'm not completely sure since I came from forest rd 602 which will also lead you to this spot.
Those GPS coordinates bring you exactly to the Noname Creek Trailhead which isnt where they found him. He would have been found much sooner if he was exactly at the trailhead.
Noname Creek goes further north towards where he was actually found. According to Namus he was found in the "Upper No Name Creek area (Flat tops) " . In that general area and not next a creek at all.

Those GPS coordinates bring you exactly to the Noname Creek Trailhead which isnt where they found him. He would have been found much sooner if he was exactly at the trailhead.
Noname Creek goes further north towards where he was actually found. According to Namus he was found in the "Upper No Name Creek area (Flat tops) " . In that general area and not next a creek at all.
Weird! Where does the link take you (it takes me to Devil's Causeway)? The unlinked GPS coordinates brought me to a camp site in the upper No Name Creek area, not the trailhead. The creek does split off (turns into East No Name Creek), but it goes nowhere near the area the link is, and there's no other No Name Creek in that area that I can find. The No Name Trailhead starts at the base of the Flat Tops and like I said before, I actually don't know if you can reach his camp site from the base of the trail. The Doe Network page states that he was found in an area north of Glenwood Springs and the Colorado.gov site says ~6 miles north of Glenwood as the crow flies.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 9
Regardless of which location he was found at my point was that Sleepy Cat was in his general area and may have been his destination or starting point. As far as hikes go neither of the 3 different sites that have been mentioned are outside of hiking distance for Johnny Doe

My concern is about our guys wallet and identification. This is an educated man who's reasonably well off. His wallet could have been left in a vehicle somewhere or he could have just left it at home. If he "loves sleepy cat" could he actually live close by in Meeker?

I wanted to note that our guy is well spoken and educated. I've seen in a few different sites that he's accused of misspelling "memorial" as "memo-real" but he actually writes "much real" and not mem-oreal. The next word is also understandably thought to be "cremation" but it's actually "ceremony".

My wife said "Ceremony doesn't have an "A" in it and this word does. That "A" is actually a part of an "m" and of course the "Y" on the end means it can't be cremation.

Attachments

• PAGE11.jpg
    PAGE11.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ceremony.jpg
    ceremony.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online