CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local news has now jumped on the "death penalty is evil" bandwagon we seem to have going on here, and published a news story calling the entire DNA process into question. They stated that "a study had found DNA had an 83% failure rate" and that since the police looked at a different family member before zeroing in on DeAngelo, that meant that the entire DNA process was flawed.

It oddly read like they were trying to defend his innocence--not sure where they plan to go with that, or what, if anything, it does to his case--or eventual jury selection.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Why is he so skinny now? Is he on a hunger strike? Is he severely ill? Why doesn't the media look into this? If they have, why don't they report any answers or results?

Not even a 'No comment' from any side??
Don't worry, slimming down at his age is good for longevity.... A good thing since he deserves a long wait for the legal process go through all the evidence, to prove or disprove his guilt :)

Thankyou @Hatfield :-D)
Indeed the GSK, a fascinating yet utterly grotesque case. Shocking one man could cause decades of the destruction he did...a monster if ever we saw one. I agree the DNA was critical in that case, shame the database took so long. I believe one of the victim's brother donated millions to the implementation of the database.

I found this early profile on GSK before they knew who he was insightful.- Wayback Machine
Hi @Enquirer-2019 , just wonder if you think DNA may have got the wrong man in this case?

(I have quoted you here on this thread, hope it's ok)

Hi @Enquirer-2019 , just wonder if you think DNA may have got the wrong man in this case?

(I have quoted you here on this thread, hope it's ok)
Hi,

I don't understand which man you refer to, do you mean Joseph James DeAngelo?

If so 100% I believe they have the correct person known as the GSK. I need to read this particular case (this thread intro), I will look back now.

Hi,

I don't understand which man you refer to, do you mean Joseph James DeAngelo?

If so 100% I believe they have the correct person known as the GSK. I need to read this particular case (this thread intro), I will look back now.
Yes, the suspect in custody now.

No need to look back very far, for alternative opinions:
Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect? (with clip)

April 3, 2019

"SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The technique that led to the arrest of the alleged Golden State Killer has now helped police in Alabama crack a decades-old double murder. The suspect in court Wednesday claims he’s innocent, but as this type of crime fighting becomes more common, some are wondering if genealogy DNA can link to the wrong suspect.

CBS13 investigator Julie Watts found that yes, DNA can get it wrong, and it has. In fact, genealogy DNA led to a different suspect in the Golden State Killer case before police arrested Joseph DeAngelo....

Parabon has helped solve nearly 50 cold cases. Moore said the company’s work generates leads.

“We’re providing a highly scientific tip, but no one’s going to be arrested based on what we say alone. Law enforcement has to take that tip and then go and build their traditional forensic case against this person,” Moore said.

The technique has faced criticism from privacy advocates, and a 2014 British study on familial DNA searches reportedly found an 83 percent failure rate.

Investigators in the Golden State Killer case even misidentified a 73-year-old Oregon man as their suspect before finding DeAngelo, because the two men had the same rare genetic marker....

...It is important to note that this type of evidence has not been used in trial yet. The Golden State Killer case will likely be the first to use it."

Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect?

I need to post this because I feel I am morally obliged too and I have to live with myself. As mentioned in the article posted above there have been misidentifications using DNA genealogy and I believe Mr DeAngelo is an innocent elderly man and the actual Golden State Killer was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson who was from Virginia but served ten years in the military and was stationed in California during the 1970s. Here is a video of the rally where I believe the Orange County DA is trying to seek the death penalty on the innocent Mr DeAngelo. It must be remembered the innocent Mr DeAngelo has been incorrectly identified to the victims in these cases for almost a year now:

Golden State Killer victims' family, families of other crime victims criticize Newsom at victims' rights rally

Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect?

The local news has now jumped on the "death penalty is evil" bandwagon we seem to have going on here, and published a news story calling the entire DNA process into question. They stated that "a study had found DNA had an 83% failure rate" and that since the police looked at a different family member before zeroing in on DeAngelo, that meant that the entire DNA process was flawed.

It oddly read like they were trying to defend his innocence--not sure where they plan to go with that, or what, if anything, it does to his case--or eventual jury selection.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

All speculation in the posts above. LE won't depend on one source of evidence in this internationally infamous case. IMO this case will be solved using DeAngelo personal DNA and matches from the crime scene/victims combined with circumstantial evidence (plenty) and profile (perfect match), dates and witness statements also (I hope the Ex will disclose some very valuable info also.)

The question is not is he a killer, its how many did he kill.
All my own logical opinions. Thanks, @Via Marple for letting me know about this thread.

The posts quoted seem to misunderstand the process. The genetic genealogy process did NOT ‘misidentify’ a suspect. It indicated a possible suspect, whose DNA was tested in the traditional way, and who was cleared. Then the investigators looked at another suspect, tested his DNA in the traditional way, and it matched.

All that the genetic genealogy process is ever doing is pointing to possible suspects, (or victims.) They are then checked in more traditional ways.

The posts quoted seem to misunderstand the process. The genetic genealogy process did NOT ‘misidentify’ a suspect. It indicated a possible suspect, whose DNA was tested in the traditional way, and who was cleared. Then the investigators looked at another suspect, tested his DNA in the traditional way, and it matched.

All that the genetic genealogy process is ever doing is pointing to possible suspects, (or victims.) They are then checked in more traditional ways.
Exactly, well explained.

Here is a link to Paul Holes and Billy Jensen's new Podcast where there is discussion of another possible Golden State Killer Crime:

The Golden State Killer - The Murder Squad

hey jaejae I thought this was the best GSK interview so far. I know you think DeAngelo's being framed so I thought maybe you'd be interested in reading this: “Go Home, Joe” I did a little digging into Auburn around the time DeAngelo was fired.

hey jaejae I thought this was the best GSK interview so far. I know you think DeAngelo's being framed so I thought maybe you'd be interested in reading this: “Go Home, Joe” I did a little digging into Auburn around the time DeAngelo was fired.

Thanks for the link. I do not think he is being framed as such but in my mind I know he is not the right offender. It was an interesting interview and it is definitely a possibility it was an EAR/ONS crime and of course stating the obvious any attack on a victim like this which leaves many scars is terrible.

Thanks for the link. I do not think he is being framed as such but in my mind I know he is not the right offender. It was an interesting interview and it is definitely a possibility it was an EAR/ONS crime and of course stating the obvious any attack on a victim like this which leaves many scars is terrible.

Yes it's too bad no one else is looking hard enough for all his other crimes like the kidnapping in Auburn 3 days after he was fired.

Keep looking at the crimes but to me the only crime he is guilty of is shoplifting and that was many years ago. The crime in the Podcast might be EAR/ONS though and it is interesting with the shoulder length blood hair and military style boots. I have actually spend years looking at other possible EAR/ONS cases throughout the US and even Canada. Cheers

Keep looking at the crimes but to me the only crime he is guilty of is shoplifting and that was many years ago. The crime in the Podcast might be EAR/ONS though and it is interesting with the shoulder length blood hair and military style boots. I have actually spend years looking at other possible EAR/ONS cases throughout the US and even Canada. Cheers

Take a look at the murder in his mother's apartment in Whittier in 1985.
sep-8-85-anna-cruz.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at the murder in his mother's apartment in Whittier in 1985.
sep-8-85-anna-cruz.jpg

Thanks I did not know that. Keep up the good work but as people may realise there is nothing that is going to stop me believing that another man was EAR/ONS. Good work though and I will look it up.

What we know about the Golden State Killer case, one year after a suspect was arrested (with clip)

April 24, 2019

"(CNN)Forty-two years.

That's how long it took police to have a breakthrough in the case of the Golden State Killer, the masked gunman who terrorized California in the 1970s and '80s with a series of killings, rapes and assaults....

Catch up on the Golden State Killer case one year after the arrest:..."

Golden State Killer: Where the case stands one year after suspect's arrest - CNN
---

The possible crimes linked to the alleged Golden State Killer (with clip)

April 30, 2018

"(CNN)At a news conference Wednesday, authorities expressed belief that former police officer Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, committed 12 killings and at least 50 rapes across California in the 1970s and 1980s....

During the news conference held by the Sacramento district attorney, officials handed out a long list of crimes that prosecutors said they believe were committed by the East Area Rapist between June 1976 and July 1979, and the Golden State Killer between October 1979 and May 1986:..."

The possible crimes linked to the alleged Golden State Killer - CNN

gsk-victims.jpg

Murder Victims
Brian Maggiore [2/2/1978]
Katie Maggiore [2/2/1978]
Dr. Robert Offerman, 44 [12/30/1979]
Dr. Debra Alexandra Manning, 35 [12/30/1979]
Charlene Smith, 33 [[3/13/1980]
Lyman Smith, 43 [3/13/1980]
Keith Harrington, 24 [8/19/1980]
Patrice Harrington, 27 [8/19/1980]
Manuela Witthuhn, 28 [2/6/1981]
Cheri Domingo, 35 [7/27/1981] (aka Cheryl Grace “Cheri” Smith)
Gregory Sanchez, 27 [7/27/1981]
Janelle Lisa Cruz, 18 [5/4/1986]
Rhonda Wicht, 24 [11/11/1978] possible victim
Ronald Wicht, 4 [11/11/1978] possible victim

7869567658381d977aef5031a2a11b51.png

55898-eight.jpg

Dbn_WVMVwAAaXCS.jpg

I wonder why Claude Snelling's murder isn't attributed to DeAngelo, and three names I've never heard of before are? I guess I have some catching up to do.

Even on last night's one year anniversary program on OWN, it was mentioned DeAngelo murdered 12 people in four counties throughout California. I thought the official tally was 13 people in five counties. As O.J. Simpson expert witness Henry Lee would say, "something not right".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne