OR - Public health emergency declared over measles anti-vax hotspot near Portland and NY, Jan 2019

This is serious:

"A flight attendant for Israel’s national airline is in a coma after contracting measles, which she may have picked up in the Big Apple, a report said.

Israeli health officials told CNN that the 43-year-old El Al flight attendant now has encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain and complication of the potentially fatal virus — which she may have contracted in New York, Israel or on a flight between the two locations."

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/flight-attendant-from-israel-in-coma-after-contracting-measles/

This is serious:

"A flight attendant for Israel’s national airline is in a coma after contracting measles, which she may have picked up in the Big Apple, a report said.

Israeli health officials told CNN that the 43-year-old El Al flight attendant now has encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain and complication of the potentially fatal virus — which she may have contracted in New York, Israel or on a flight between the two locations."

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/flight-attendant-from-israel-in-coma-after-contracting-measles/
I'm sure she thought she was safe:

"The woman was vaccinated as a child but received only one dose, which is only about 93% effective."

This is from 2015, but it's crazy

The Sickeningly Low Vaccination Rates at Silicon Valley Day Cares

A WIRED investigation shows that some children attending day care facilities affiliated with prominent Silicon Valley companies have not been completely vaccinated against preventable infectious diseases. At least, that’s according to a giant database from the California Department of Public Health, which tracks the vaccination rates at day care facilities and preschools in the state. We selected more than 20 large technology and health companies in the Bay Area and researched their day care offerings. Of 12 day care facilities affiliated with tech companies, six—that's half—have below-average vaccination rates, according to the state’s data.

A WIRED investigation shows that some children attending day care facilities affiliated with prominent Silicon Valley companies have not been completely vaccinated against preventable infectious diseases. At least, that’s according to a giant database from the California Department of Public Health, which tracks the vaccination rates at day care facilities and preschools in the state. We selected more than 20 large technology and health companies in the Bay Area and researched their day care offerings. Of 12 day care facilities affiliated with tech companies, six—that's half—have below-average vaccination rates, according to the state’s data.
Non-compliance with vaccinations sometimes clusters in Waldorf schools, which tend to be more lenient when it comes to vaccination requirements for the students. I wonder if there are Waldorf schools in the Silicon Valley?

jmo

Non-compliance with vaccinations sometimes clusters in Waldorf schools, which tend to be more lenient when it comes to vaccination requirements for the students. I wonder if there are Waldorf schools in the Silicon Valley?

jmo
Absolutely. Waldorf Schools are in Mountain View and Los Altos, the birthplace of Silicon Valley

Absolutely. Waldorf Schools are in Mountain View and Los Altos, the birthplace of Silicon Valley
Thanks for the place names. I am finding info about low vaccination rates at the schools, but nothing for the current year so I'm not posting. It's out there, though. And articles that Waldorf is popular with some Silicon Valley tech types.

Just a hunch that any outbreak in Silicon Valley will be around these schools....but that is my hunch only.

jmo

This is serious:

This is also what Roald Dahl's daughter died from. When I posted about Olivia Dahl on my social media I got an anti-vaxxer response. "Encephalitis is also a side effect of the MMR vaccine."

Whatever. :rolleyes:

“MEASLES: A Dangerous Illness”

Roald Dahl on Olivia, writing in 1986.

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it.

Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy,” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.

That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

November 1962 - death of Roald Dahl's daughter Olivia

*scratches head*, isn't that 6 out of 12 exactly the same as the average then?

"Of 12 day care facilities affiliated with tech companies, six—that's half—have below-average vaccination rates, according to the state’s data."

This is also what Roald Dahl's daughter died from. When I posted about Olivia Dahl on my social media I got an anti-vaxxer response. "Encephalitis is also a side effect of the MMR vaccine."

Whatever. :rolleyes:

“MEASLES: A Dangerous Illness”

Roald Dahl on Olivia, writing in 1986.

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it.

Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy,” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.

That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

November 1962 - death of Roald Dahl's daughter Olivia
I did not know this! I love, love Roald Dahl and so sorry to learn he lost a child to measles. That last sentence is powerful and scary.

jmo

I have never heard of medical staff scoffing at people coming in to do the right thing in terms of healthcare. These people feels shame because they know they did the wrong thing.

Surely your world view isn’t so narrow as to believe that if you haven’t personally seen, experienced, or heard of something occurring, it must not exist. I work in health care, and I’ve seen it first hand time and again over non-compliance with various recommendations.

I’m sure there is at least some merit to your last statement that some people feel ashamed (along with worried, embarrassed, etc) for not vaccinating sooner when they show up during a crisis to do so. However, I believe there is a lot of truth to the idea that vaccination rates might be higher if medical personnel focused less on shaming these folks and more on getting the job done.

Yes.

I mentioned upthread that I knew moms in my "playground crowd" who were anti-vax or delay vaxers, but when they changed their minds or when they wanted to get their kids up-to-date, they worried about being ridiculed by medical staff. This was a concern (whether it's warranted or not, I don't know).

Scoffing at and judging parents will only push them away or delay compliance more. If they could go to a drug store and get up-to-date with no questions asked, I think that would be great. Everyone would benefit.

jmo

Most medial professional welcome children and parents to be vaccinated!!!! They know the risk and health complications from all these diseases. They see these kids in ICU fighting for their life.

The blame is not on the medical community but with the parents. All states provide vaccinations for FREE thru local health depts, cost is not a valid reason.

We have a group of anti vaccinated in my community. Two years ago we had a whopping cough out break. As several infants were in ICU and a few were transferred to larger medical center in critical condition.

The local health dept set up a special clinic, on these parents terms to vaccinate their children.

Folks in the medical profession care, we put up with a lot, keep our mouths shut, take abuse from parents and patients. Its NOT our fault kids aren't vaccinated. JMHO

Folks in the medical profession care, we put up with a lot, keep our mouths shut, take abuse from parents and patients. Its NOT our fault kids aren't vaccinated. JMHO

Snipped

I'll kindly point out that nobody said it was the medical professionals' fault that kids are not vaccinated. There is no value in a blame game anyway. That is not the goal.

The goal is to get the un-vax kids vaccinated.

If there is a barrier to that - like parental fear of shame at the doctor's office - let's remove the barrier. Not sure why there would be resistance to making parents feel comfortable. And yes, I know many/most medical staff do this (of course they do! I like my own doctor), but the fact is, SOME parents are afraid to go to the doctor to catch up with vaccinations. Seems like a problem that could be rather easily fixed. And being defensive about it really doesn't move the barrier, imo.

jmo

Edited to add forgotten word.

Last edited:
Snipped

I'll kindly point out that nobody said it was the medical professionals' fault that kids are not vaccinated. There is no value in a blame game anyway. That is not the goal.

The goal is to get the un-vax kids vaccinated.

If there is a barrier to that - like parental fear of shame at the doctor's office - let's remove the barrier. Not sure why there would be resistance to making parents feel comfortable. And yes, I know many/most medical staff do this (of course they do! I like my own doctor), but the fact is, SOME parents are afraid to go to the doctor to catch up with vaccinations. Seems like a problem that could be rather easily fixed. And being defensive about it really doesn't move the barrier, imo.

jmo

Edited to add forgotten word.
@Inthedetails
You are so right and I do apologize!!!! Being defensive will not solve the problem. I tend to get carried away when it comes to kids, especially when it can have long term medical problems.

The moms I know that are anti vaccination, do so because of potential health risk and "the goverment isn't gonna tell me want to do". They are proud and do not miss the opportunity to imply they are better mothers for it.
Then we have the group that just won't take the kids, and we are scrambling the first day of school, setting up clinics to give the vaccinations.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do feel strongly parents that do not vaccinate and children die or have irreversible medical complications should be held accountable. Yes, we are a free country and it is a right, but who protects the children?

@Inthedetails
You are so right and I do apologize!!!! Being defensive will not solve the problem. I tend to get carried away when it comes to kids, especially when it can have long term medical problems.

The moms I know that are anti vaccination, do so because of potential health risk and "the goverment isn't gonna tell me want to do". They are proud and do not miss the opportunity to imply they are better mothers for it.
Then we have the group that just won't take the kids, and we are scrambling the first day of school, setting up clinics to give the vaccinations.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do feel strongly parents that do not vaccinate and children die or have irreversible medical complications should be held accountable. Yes, we are a free country and it is a right, but who protects the children?

The people that I know and then their friends think that we who believe in vaccination are “sheeple”. We are stupid. We believe the lies of big pharma.

There are those that do not vaccinate because they are procrastinators or life gets in the way.

But for those people who think they are superior to the rest of us ignoramuses, maybe the only thing that will work is when their friends get sick

Most medial professional welcome children and parents to be vaccinated!!!! They know the risk and health complications from all these diseases. They see these kids in ICU fighting for their life.

The blame is not on the medical community but with the parents. All states provide vaccinations for FREE thru local health depts, cost is not a valid reason.

I don't believe this is actually true unless it's changed recently. Low cost vaccines are offered, yes. However $15 can still be too much for some parents.

However we actually GO to the health department for our vaccinations. We do this so that the kids don't associate the Pediatrician with pain, they love going to see her. They've never been free when we've done that.

If the children are on Medicaid or equivalent then the vaccinations are free, yes. I've found since I got more involved in the system that often the "low cost" options aren't as helpful as they seem.

Example: Summer camps offer discounts for low income families. Recently had a friend apply who has zero income, zero assets and relies completely on food stamps/Medicaid and SSI disability to survive. They were only able to offer her 60% off the cost of camp.

I was amazed, I figured her situation was about as low income as it got. (We paid the 40% to send her child to camp with my daughter, but she would not have been able to on her own.)

I know the vast majority of parents are not skipping vaccinations due to cost. I just wanted to clarify that there generally IS a cost.

I don't believe this is actually true unless it's changed recently. Low cost vaccines are offered, yes. However $15 can still be too much for some parents.

However we actually GO to the health department for our vaccinations. We do this so that the kids don't associate the Pediatrician with pain, they love going to see her. They've never been free when we've done that.

If the children are on Medicaid or equivalent then the vaccinations are free, yes. I've found since I got more involved in the system that often the "low cost" options aren't as helpful as they seem.

Example: Summer camps offer discounts for low income families. Recently had a friend apply who has zero income, zero assets and relies completely on food stamps/Medicaid and SSI disability to survive. They were only able to offer her 60% off the cost of camp.

I was amazed, I figured her situation was about as low income as it got. (We paid the 40% to send her child to camp with my daughter, but she would not have been able to on her own.)

I know the vast majority of parents are not skipping vaccinations due to cost. I just wanted to clarify that there generally IS a cost.

Yes, Medicaid does cover in all states, health departments will vaccinated for free for low income (and these folks need to apply for Medicaid). Many states require (w/exception to religious) kids to be vaccinated in order to obtain food stamps and TANF. Without this requirement I think more kids would go unvaccinated.

You are a wonderful person to pay for camp for your daughters friend. They are going to have a wonderful time!!! My grandkids attend a wonderful summer camp for a month on the NC coast each year. They love it and have made many long lasting friendships. They offer the 60% scholarships, as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back