CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the most likely reason is DK was using a VPN to make it appear he was somewhere other than his actual location, if he was careless or the VPN was disconnected while he was online his actual IP and location would be exposed such a scenario explains the IP behavior mentioned in your comment.

Considering this one must ask why was he using a VPN? One reason would be he was in Hawaii and wanted to make it appear he was in the San Diego area, but why? The other reason would be he was in the San Diego area but wanted to make it appear he was in Hawaii and with this scenario I think the reason he would do so is quite obvious.

What about the debit card transactions that undeniably occurred in Hawaii?

JM to CM on Jan. 3, 2010:
"Word up....n happy new year....I truly hope its a very. Very good year for us..."

Wonder how DK is feeling when he learned this from the testimony--or possibly he had been able to see that before the family disappeared.

So what? He sent a text? Could have easily been before he found out CM was stealing from the business.

This theory doesn't work because the same IP comes up as San Diego or Hawaii depending on which list service you use to look it up

The problem is that these look ups are not accurate enough to pinpoint one user.

But guess what is accurate! The debit card transactions! No one twisting themselves into pretzels saying they could have happened somewhere else. Nope! Everyone has accepted they occurred in Hawaii, even the defense!

And something else to jog the memory. Merritt also claimed Joseph gave him access to all of his credit cards and would let him use the cards to purchase supplies for fountains and to pay bills. Merritt explained Joseph would give him the credit card number but not the credit card itself.
In his interview with Detective Dugal, Merritt was unsure if he had used any of Joseph's credit cards after the family went missing February 4th., 2010.
Neither Joseph or Summer's wallet or purse were ever located after their disappearance. Their credit cards and other personal effects in their wallet and purse remain outstanding to date.

Last edited:
So what? He sent a text? Could have easily been before he found out CM was stealing from the business.

I hope we get to see more texts. If the defense was smart, they would have selected the texts from Feb 4th where Joey tells CM he is a swell employee and gives the two timed felon felon permission to go ahead and write himself some checks.

Re the IP address locations.......

IMO, those debit card transactions put DK in Hawaii unquestionably. The physical addresses for those transactions do not change. They are all in Hawaii.

Even the computer expert himself said there are no historical logs to indicate what region an IP address was assigned to and he had to use deductive reasoning to determine a historical location for an IP address.

And third, TSA requires ID to board an airplane. DK had airline tickets encompassing the dates of the debit card transactions that took place in Hawaii (that no one is disputing).

IMO MOO etc etc

Exactly

This IP stuff is some seriously shonky nonsense unless you work with the providers to find out how they had allocated the ip4 addresses and which user had it.

I just looked up my mobile address again and it resolves to Belgium

I have never been to Belgium :D

IMO, the most likely reason is DK was using a VPN to make it appear he was somewhere other than his actual location, if he was careless or the VPN was disconnected while he was online his actual IP and location would be exposed such a scenario explains the IP behavior mentioned in your comment.

Considering this one must ask why was he using a VPN? One reason would be he was in Hawaii and wanted to make it appear he was in the San Diego area, but why? The other reason would be he was in the San Diego area but wanted to make it appear he was in Hawaii and with this scenario I think the reason he would do so is quite obvious.

While completely ignoring his debit card transactions in Hawaii.

Just because someone is not officially authorized doesn't mean they didn't have permission to do so. JM had a tendency to operate his business loosely the buyout of DK is a good example of him doing so.

How does him buying out DK prove he operated his business loosely and more importantly that he gave the conman and thief authorization to rip him off?

But guess what is accurate! The debit card transactions! No one twisting themselves into pretzels saying they could have happened somewhere else. Nope! Everyone has accepted they occurred in Hawaii, even the defense!

You know they're gonna start in with the "he could have had someone else use his debit card" line of reasoning.

Even the computer expert himself said there are no historical logs to indicate what region an IP address was assigned to and he had to use deductive reasoning to determine a historical location for an IP address.

He has just done the same thing we are doing - use webservices to look up various lists.

There is no other way to do it unless you approach the ISP and ask them for the token records of how the IP was assigned on that date.

I don't know how long ISPs keep those records but they do have them

So for e.g. if an IP address gets logged accessing kiddie *advertiser censored* or doing some fraud, LE go to the ISP and ask which user had the IP address at that timestamp.

This is one reason why people use VPN - because then the IP address cannot be traced back to them

Karinna, that is the key. There is no way a case against DK could be proved BARD. The only person the entire constellation of evidence points to is Chase Merritt. There are always going to be people on the perimeter of a case -every case- who "fit" into one piece or another: Have no alibi, were in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc. Even if it were proven that DK had been in San Diego at the time, then what? So what

At this point in the case, all the stars align on Chase. We shall see, as things go forward, if that changes. However, I think virtually everyone knows that the entire DT focus on DK is nothing more than throwing out distractions for the jury.

MO.
Yes exactly. I don't think their some other dude, DK did it, will somehow fly with the Jury, IMO.

Yes - and that has nothing to do with VPN

VPN hides the ultimate user.

The fact that the IP comes up with Hawaii results suggests that at least at some time, the IP address was dedicated to Hawaii users
IP addresses change all the time. Companies will own ranges of addresses and will typically split them up by regions. In 2010 it is entirely possible that a range was assigned to Hawaii or Hawaii / West Coast. But with changing demographics Hawaii could have been assigned an entirely new range at some point.

I don't know if the VPN hides the IP address as much as it arranges for an encrypted "tunnel" between a client and host. Technically the client may pick up an ip address associated with the host, but I forget.

The main constant in addressing is something called a MAC Address which is unique among devices that connect to the internet.

Just because someone is not officially authorized doesn't mean they didn't have permission to do so. JM had a tendency to operate his business loosely the buyout of DK is a good example of him doing so.

Defence asserts therefore defence to prove.

Prima facie, only the authorised signatory can sign cheques and therefore Chase committed cheque fraud in the absence of cogent evidence to the contrary.

This is why we have signatures on cheques - as proof to all the world of consent.

Otherwise people can just forge your signature and claim you said it was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken