MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

After Noor shot, Harrity said he checked himself to see if he'd been shot, looked in his peripheral vision at Noor and then saw the figure step back. He got out of his squad and helped her to the ground because he "didn't want her to hurt herself more."

Harrity said he thought of her as a threat until the shot was fired, then he saw she wasn't a threat.
Noor trial: Officer's partner testifies he heard a thump before shot

Gosh, maybe they should have made sure she was or wasn't a threat BEFORE they fired, not after. :-/

Here's the thing: it is clear that Harrity is conveying the message to the jury that they thought she was a threat and because they thought she was a threat Noor shot her---the question of course is was it reasonable for these cops to see her as a threat?-- Harrity is trying to convey they only had a split second to make that decision because they felt their lives were in danger, and that is why Noor shot her. I think he is full of it, but I am not on the jury

Testimony: Noor's former partner feared for his life when Damond approached squad, but considered deadly force premature

Asked if the use of deadly force would've been premature, officer Matthew Harrity responded yes.

Toward the end of his roughly five-hour testimony, Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Amy Sweasy asked Matthew Harrity whether he’d been able to make out the silhouette’s features or see if he or she were armed before Mohamed Noor shot.

“I didn’t analyze the threat fully yet,” he said. Neither did Noor shout out any warning before firing, Harrity added.

“So the use of deadly force (from your perspective) would’ve been premature?” Sweasy asked.

“Yes, from what I had,” Harrity responded.

My Aussie brother was visiting your beautiful country approx. 30 years and was travelling down the freeway in a hire car when a cop pulled him over. Imagine his absolute horror when the cop came to his window with gun drawn and asked for ID.
It was in the days when our drivers license was a slip of paper. My brother tried to tell the cop that was his licence. The cop then realised from his accent and license he was from Australia and his attitude changed to very apologetic and they had a great old chat together about kangaroos.

Here the cops are more relaxed because there are less guns especially in a affluent area, I’m sure it’s different in a known crime area but Justine might have expected grateful cops because she was being a good citizen as I would.

Dammit I find the shooting of Justine so heart wrenching.
If ever a gun was put in my face I would have a heart attack right there on the spot & Mohamed would not have to pull the trigger to kill me.

Partner of Minneapolis officer who killed woman says he feared ambush

Harrity testified in his police uniform: I think that is important because it conveys a sense of authority to the jury---- He testified he heard a thump on the squad car right before the shooting and
feared it was an ambush (as we know this testimony Is being disputed as untruthful by the prosecution). Harrity testified
"I hear something hit the car and and I also hear some sort
of murmur". He said he drew his gun and held it to his ribs
pointing downwards". He was asked whether he always
pulls his gun when startled and he answered "it depends".

He went on to testify " in this situation with the thump and being startled - I went straight to "this could be an ambush"
"my first thought is that I am going to make sure whatever it was , was not a threat to me".

Their body cams were not on.

As I said before, I think the jury will give this witness a great deal of weight and if he comes across as credible, his testimony could get this defendant acquitted if the jury believes that these officers feared for their lives-

There is a reason so many officers on trial for police shootings get acquitted: the jurors apparently give them the benefit of the doubt in a situation where the jury believe the officer acted reasonably if they feared for their life.

The case that always comes to my mind in these situations is that of Amadou
Diallo. the shooting by police and killing of this man occurred in 1999 in New York. He was a 23 year old immigrant- four officers fired 41 shots, 19 of which struck Diallo. They mistook him for a rape suspect from one year earlier. All four officers were charged with 2nd degree murder and acquitted. You can google the incident for further details

Last edited:
Yep. Short, specific answers. Stay to the script.

I just don't get it. Does anyone really want to work with Noor again? If he is found "Not Guilty" that potentially paves the way for him to be re-hired...

If Harrity squeals against his partner he too would be shunned. Poor Harrity is in a no win position.

If Harrity squeals against his partner he too would be shunned. Poor Harrity is in a no win position.

Really. Noor shot across him, he could have easily been killed.

I don't see how those officers felt credible fear of bodily harm while sitting in a car, being approached by a woman in pajamas. I doubt Noor will testify. It would be laughable.

Partner of Minneapolis officer who killed woman says he feared ambush

Harrity testified in his police uniform: I think that is important because it conveys a sense of authority to the jury---- He testified he heard a thump on the squad car right before the shooting and
feared it was an ambush (as we know this testimony Is being disputed as untruthful by the prosecution). Harrity testified
"I hear something hit the car and and I also hear some sort
of murmur". He said he drew his gun and held it to his ribs
pointing downwards". He was asked whether he always
pulls his gun when startled and he answered "it depends".

He went on to testify " in this situation with the thump and being startled - I went straight to "this could be an ambush"
"my first thought is that I am going to make sure whatever it was , was not a threat to me".

Their body cams were not on.

As I said before, I think the jury will give this witness a great deal of weight and if he comes across as credible, his testimony could get this defendant acquitted if the jury believes that these officers feared for their lives-

There is a reason so many officers on trial for police shootings get acquitted: the jurors apparently give them the benefit of the doubt in a situation where the jury believe the officer acted reasonably if they feared for their life.

The case that always comes to my mind in these situations is that of Amadou
Diallo. the shooting by police and killing of this man occurred in 1999 in New York. He was a 23 year old immigrant- four officers fired 41 shots, 19 of which struck Diallo. They mistook him for a rape suspect from one year earlier. All four officers were charged with 2nd degree murder and acquitted. You can google the incident for further details

SPOOKED is an understatement to have your partner shoot across you would spook anyone. IMO.
The difference between Harrity and Noor is that Harrity held his cool and didn’t shoot haphazardly whereas Noor reached over the driver and shot.
I feel for Harrity as he’s a far better cop in that respect.

This is bloody shocking.

Really. Noor shot across him, he could have easily been killed.

I don't see how those officers felt credible fear of bodily harm while sitting in a car, being approached by a woman in pajamas. I doubt Noor will testify. It would be laughable.

I agree 100% mickey. What I was saying is Harrity is in an unwinnable position because if he squeals against Noor he will be shunned within the police force and IMO if he lies then he’ll have to live with knowing that loose cannon Noor could kill another.

Harrity was around a year and Noor was 21 months.
Hmmm Defence better shows some evidence of how the two of them had received life-threatening threats during this short duration as officers. Otherwise I find it very hard to believe they could have become so jumpy since being hired.

They should also show how Justine looked as a silhouette figure at that time, to convince me and the jurors that she looked like a threat standing by their car. Otherwise I can't imagine it.

Yep. Short, specific answers. Stay to the script.

I just don't get it. Does anyone really want to work with Noor again? If he is found "Not Guilty" that potentially paves the way for him to be re-hired...
I think Noor was fired for failing to cooperate with the investigation. That is required. So even if he is acquitted, the grounds for firing from the MPD still stands. I believe the union is challenging that firing on his behalf.

Hmmm Defence better shows some evidence of how the two of them had received life-threatening threats during this short duration as officers. Otherwise I find it very hard to believe they could have become so jumpy since being hired.

They should also show how Justine looked as a silhouette figure at that time, to convince me and the jurors that she looked like a threat standing by their car. Otherwise I can't imagine it.
I just don't think the fear of ambush defense is all that credible. If they were so afraid, why were they continuing down the ally instead of backing off and calling for backup? And, even is you are startled or afraid, you still are not justified to just shoot an innocent person. You HAVE to identify the target first and Noor didn't do that. Most police shootings we see here are instances where the officers clearly see the "suspect" and think that person is reaching for a gun or something along those lines. Thats not the case here. An innocent person walks up to the car and is just shot down before the officer even sees who it is.

Last edited:
Well officer Harrity could tell the truth and do the right thing and deal with the consequences_-he has a choice -tell the truth or lie and make his buddies on the police force happy

Not so easy to decide, really. We don't know if this guy has a mortgage, a wife who needs healthcare insurance, a new baby...a police officer salary with Overtime and benefits is not easily matched if he doesn't have other skills or education.

Not so easy to decide, really. We don't know if this guy has a mortgage, a wife who needs healthcare insurance, a new baby...a police officer salary with Overtime and benefits is not easily matched if he doesn't have other skills or education.

I don't mean to sound cavalier- I know it is not an easy decision but it is a choice-- to commit possible perjury to save Noor and keep his job and the support of his fellow officers or tell the truth (which I believe could convict Noor), do the right thing, but risk a lot.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back