GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane Doe #4 is Jul., born in 1998. She is the 6th sibling.
John Doe #1 is Josh., born in 1995. He is the 2nd sibling.
Jane Doe #4 read her own statement.
John Doe #1 read his own statement and his sister's, who was Jess., born in 1993. She is the 3rd sibling.
The other statement read was J. (can't really abbreviate this one), born in 1997. She is the 5th sibling and the one who asked for the no contact order to be lifted so she could call her parents and talk to them.

The hearing for anyone who missed it:

Thank you!!

Wow. The mom is quite chatty. Lots of interesting eyerolling and sardonic looks as she chats away as grins and smiles at her counsel, waiting for the sentencing to start.

I bet he can't stand her.

And the dad's attorney is chatting at him a lot. What are they talking about?

My guess with the mother is gossip about family and people in jail. She seems to have no grasp of reality. Seems like a borderline to me.

I don't know what the hell the attorney is saying to the dad.

I'm certain they told them what to expect regarding sentencing. So why so unconcerned and nonchalant as they wait for sentencing but then they burst into tears as they're sentenced?

Sibling #1 - Jenn.; born in 1988; female.
Sibling #2 - Josh.; born in 1992; male.
Sibling #3 - Jess.; born in 1993; female.
Sibling #4 - Jon.; born in 1995; male.
Sibling #5 - Jo.; born in 1997; female.
Sibling #6 - Juli.; born in 1998; female.
Sibling #7 - Jea.; born in 1999; female.
Sibling #8 - Jor.; born in 2000; female.
Sibling #9 - Jam.; born in 2002; male.
Sibling #10 - Joan.; born in 2003; female.
Sibling #11 - Jol.; born in 2004; female.
Sibling #12 - Jul.; born in 2005; female.
Sibling #13 - Jan.; born in 2015; female.

Actually, they probably didn't ruin that. Just like in prisoner of war situations, people who go through traumatic times together tend to form a very strong bond. From what we have been told so far, these siblings all look out for each other.

Well, familial abuse is different than being a pow. When it's your parent, it's not the same. Just speaking from experience in working with abused children. When one child watches another receive favor while they are being abused...that can really mess up the psyche and feelings for your family. I don't know that this happened in the home. It's just not uncommon for some to be more abused than others and some to be more favored. I obviously cannot say what happened in the home, how they feel now, and what their relationships are like. As I said, I don't want to know that much about them. I want them to continue to have their privacy. But, yes...hierarchy in abusive families can absolutely ruin sibling relationships.

Like I said, I hope they didn't. They will need each other as long as they are alive.

Well, familial abuse is different than being a pow. When it's your parent, it's not the same. Just speaking from experience in working with abused children. When one child watches another receive favor while they are being abused...that can really mess up the psyche and feelings for your family. I don't know that this happened in the home. It's just not uncommon for some to be more abused than others and some to be more favored. I obviously cannot say what happened in the home, how they feel now, and what their relationships are like. As I said, I don't want to know that much about them. I want them to continue to have their privacy. But, yes...hierarchy in abusive families can absolutely ruin sibling relationships.

Like I said, I hope they didn't. They will need each other as long as they are alive.
Yes. I read about the Eddie Lee Sexton case, and the parents did exactly that, pitting the children against other so teach hat they "informed" on each other for better treatment. I've often wondered how life was for those children after their parents were jailed.

A couple things Osborn (the adult siblings attorney) said, per Ryan Hagen:

Jack Osborn, attorney for adult Turpin children, says they’re satisfied with the outcome and he’s confident they will thrive in independent lives.

Osborn: The Turpins all love their parents, but they don’t want to speak to them now. Some don’t want to speak to them for a long, long time.

Osborn: Our clients are most of all survivors, not victims.

Osborn: Some are living in apartments now, some with other siblings. They’re all moving toward independence, and many are hiking, going to class, following basketball and baseball. One attended a LAFC game.

Osborn: All have gained strength and weight.

Osborn: They’re very humbled that so many people care about them, but at the same time, they value their privacy and want to go to baseball games or Target without being recognized.

One of the kids said they felt 25 years was too much. So it's odd that the attorney says they're satisfied with the sentences.

I'm concerned with the minimization and justifications some of the kids stated in their letters for the way they were treated. I realize it's always a complex situation and most abused kids still love their abusers. It's also hard to accept that their own parents did that to them.

And it's a slow process to accept and understand what happened, especially for kids who were so terribly deprived and stunted.

I hope their thinking evolves with regard to this. Because if not, and any of them have children or are responsible for caring for kids in the future, they may not understand what abuse and neglect are, and confuse it with love.

Regardless, these are very sweet and charitable kids. I think having each other is what made them into the wonderful adults we see today.

John Doe #1 read his own statement and his sister's, who was Jess., born in 1993. She is the 3rd sibling.
The other statement read was J. (can't really abbreviate this one), born in 1997. She is the 5th sibling and the one who asked for the no contact order to be lifted so she could call her parents and talk to them.

She is also the one who said 25 years was too much. I;m not sure why we bother abbreviating at this point since their names were read in court. It's confusing.

I get that. But both Brian Rokos and Ryan Hagen then said differently. Here is from Ryan:
The male Turpin child who spoke in court today was 27 and the female child was 30, according to Osborn.

Brian Rokos says the same thing in his tweet, but I won't quote it because it contains the names. Basically he said that #1 and #2 spoke in court, and statements were read for #3 and #5.

She is also the one who said 25 years was too much. I;m not sure why we bother abbreviating at this point since their names were read in court. It's confusing.
We abbreviate because we are victim-friendly. But of course their names are out there. In cases like this, it would be easier to use names, especially since generally we use abbreviations but in this case that isn't very helpful. (I don't even know the middle initials of the younger kids., so they would all end up being JT.)

The hearing for anyone who missed it:

Thanks for posting, I missed it. Relieved it's over and I hope the kids are able to go on to heal and have happy, productive lives. They still have a long road ahead of them. The damage from the kind of abuse they lived with will take a long time to heal. Great comments and insights from Gitana1, too.

We abbreviate because we are victim-friendly. But of course their names are out there. In cases like this, it would be easier to use names, especially since generally we use abbreviations but in this case that isn't very helpful. (I don't even know the middle initials of the younger kids., so they would all end up being JT.)

I've been a member since 2004 or 2005. So I am aware. But their names were published in court today. So it is useless to use numbers and abbreviate at this point when it comes to the kids whose names were published. No one is going to exploit them due to a websleuths posting given their actual names were used in court and tweeted.

Thanks for posting, I missed it. Relieved it's over and I hope the kids are able to go on to heal and have happy, productive lives. They still have a long road ahead of them. The damage from the kind of abuse they lived with will take a long time to heal. Great comments and insights from Gitana1, too.

I wish I had paid attention so I could have gone today. I'm very interested in seeing how they look. Have they grown at all? (Growth plates probably closed though). Gained weight we know. How is their style? I would love to see how their individuality has developed.

I'm impressed with how much they've accomplished so far. Under the circumstances, its pretty impressive. Navigating the bus system, making friends, going to college!!! Wow. They're pretty remarkable and they've gotten some good help it seems. I wonder when they will be able to drive or if they will be. Does the conservatorship prevent that right now?

As much as I'd love to see their progress, I'm so happy cameras weren't allowed though and happy to see how respectful the media seemed to be (whispering to each other "cameras down!").

Hopefully they can go on to live full and anonymous lives. They deserve the best.

I've been a member since 2004 or 2005. So I am aware. But their names were published in court today. So it is useless to use numbers and abbreviate at this point when it comes to the kids whose names were published. No one is going to exploit them due to a websleuths posting given their actual names were used in court and tweeted.
I actually don't disagree with you. However, TOS may still prevent that.

Just wondering about something:

If these two parents had been put in a situation where they were required to send their kids to school, could they have ended up being better parents? If society had put them in a situation that required their kids get out of the home and attend public school regularly, would it have opened their home to more outside influences and made it more difficult to slide down that slippery slope to abusive parenting?

I don't think it makes a difference for all abusive parents, obviously some parents are bad regardless. But these two seemed somewhat intelligent and, at least for the father, well educated. Just wondering if being forced into a situation where kids are socializing with others and where parents are exposed to more positive examples of parenting among their peers makes a difference. With some, I think it does.

I get that. But both Brian Rokos and Ryan Hagen then said differently. Here is from Ryan:
The male Turpin child who spoke in court today was 27 and the female child was 30, according to Osborn.

Brian Rokos says the same thing in his tweet, but I won't quote it because it contains the names. Basically he said that #1 and #2 spoke in court, and statements were read for #3 and #5.
Just watched it. When the girl took the stand, another person was whispering instructions to her, and several times addressed her by name. It was definitely #1, not #6, even though they referred to her as "Jane Doe #4".

David Turpin, 57, and wife Louise Turpin, 50, appeared on Friday in California’s Riverside County Court, in the US for sentencing after pleading guilty in February to 14 charges of torture, adult abuse, child endangerment, false imprisonment and more.

Judge Bernard J. Schwartz handed the couple life sentences with the possibility of parole after 25 years.

“You have severed the ability to interact and raise your children that you have created and brought into this world,” he said.

“The selfish, cruel and inhumane treatment has deprived them, family, friends and society, and especially you, (these children as) gifts.

“It will be not because of you both (that they lead fulfilling lives) but in spite of you both.”

Judge Schwartz said the “only reason” the couple’s punishment was less than the maximum of life without parole was because they “spared (their) children having to relive the humiliation” by accepting a guilty plea deal.

‘House of horrors’: ‘My parents took my whole life from me’

“Today has been a very, very important day for our clients a very hard day,” Mr Osborn, who represents the adult Turpin children, said.

“Ultimately our clients are working towards forgiveness.

“For our clients to be in a position of forgiveness, it’s pretty remarkable.”

Inside the court, 27-year-old Joshua Turpin spoke of his new joy in learning to ride a bike.

“I’m hooked,” he said, while noting his pride in attending college.

The children have requested David and Louise be incarcerated nearby so visitation may be granted in coming years.

With time already served, they will be eligible for parole in 2043.
California’s ‘House of Horrors’ couple jailed for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member