GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Today has been a very, very important day for our clients a very hard day,” Mr Osborn, who represents the adult Turpin children, said.

“Ultimately our clients are working towards forgiveness.

“For our clients to be in a position of forgiveness, it’s pretty remarkable.”

Inside the court, 27-year-old Joshua Turpin spoke of his new joy in learning to ride a bike.

“I’m hooked,” he said, while noting his pride in attending college.

The children have requested David and Louise be incarcerated nearby so visitation may be granted in coming years.

With time already served, they will be eligible for parole in 2043.
California’s ‘House of Horrors’ couple jailed for life

By bike, I think he means a bicycle. The thing is, he had a bicycle at one point, I believe, but was never allowed to learn how to ride it.

Just wondering about something:

If these two parents had been put in a situation where they were required to send their kids to school, could they have ended up being better parents? If society had put them in a situation that required their kids get out of the home and attend public school regularly, would it have opened their home to more outside influences and made it more difficult to slide down that slippery slope to abusive parenting?

I don't think it makes a difference for all abusive parents, obviously some parents are bad regardless. But these two seemed somewhat intelligent and, at least for the father, well educated. Just wondering if being forced into a situation where kids are socializing with others and where parents are exposed to more positive examples of parenting among their peers makes a difference. With some, I think it does.

I don't know. They had some pretty radical attitudes, IMO, about religion and society. The oldest was isolated and bullied in school because of how she looked and talked, etc.

I used to be a preschool teacher and daycare worker. A couple of times there were those kids who you knew were probably neglected, maybe maltreated. I remember one little girl. She always had super ugly, makeshift clothes. Her hair was hacked into an ugly, short haircut. She was a little different in the way she acted, so the other girls who mostly had that shiny, polished swagger of well cared for kids, shunned her. I know her parents weren't poor because it was a private school. So I gave her a lot of attention. I gave her special gifts of shiny stones and things. Tried to make her feel good about herself. And I made sure the other kids saw that I respected her. It was all I could do for her.

You always wonder what goes on behind closed doors.

“Today has been a very, very important day for our clients a very hard day,” Mr Osborn, who represents the adult Turpin children, said.

“Ultimately our clients are working towards forgiveness.

“For our clients to be in a position of forgiveness, it’s pretty remarkable.”

Inside the court, 27-year-old Joshua Turpin spoke of his new joy in learning to ride a bike.

“I’m hooked,” he said, while noting his pride in attending college.

The children have requested David and Louise be incarcerated nearby so visitation may be granted in coming years.

With time already served, they will be eligible for parole in 2043.
California’s ‘House of Horrors’ couple jailed for life

The oldest two seemed to realize the most what had been done to them. Poor things.

The children who spoke seemed so forgiving of their parents. I wonder if they feel some sort of reversed guilt.... I appreciate their kindness and willingness to forgive and I do believe their wishes should be respected. With that being said... almost Stockholm syndrome ish.

I wish them all the world has to offer. I am not particularly religious, but in their case I am grateful they have God to be a father to them. Seems to give them a truly beautiful strength.

Again... is the gravity of the parents being locked up somehow minimizing the legitimacy of their experience - because what they went through is actual torture.

The adult siblings are probably not in Riverside County anymore
She is also the one who said 25 years was too much. I;m not sure why we bother abbreviating at this point since their names were read in court. It's confusing.
If they don't want their picture taken, maybe they don't want their names out there either.
Court documents identify them as Jane and John Doe #1-#13.

Here is one report of the statements by the siblings, and verifies which ones were speaking:
Turpin children speak publicly for first time: 'I’m taking my life back'

Some of those statements freak me out. But as a retired teacher, some of my past students are on my FB. They go on and on about their fabulous parents

I know some were sexually abused and some were beaten.

One, who I had zero hope for, said he has broken the pattern . I never dreamed of that for him.

I asked my husband why they would say such glowing things about their nasty parents. He said that they are the only parents they have and cannot admit how horrible they are

Thank you!!

Wow. The mom is quite chatty. Lots of interesting eyerolling and sardonic looks as she chats away as grins and smiles at her counsel, waiting for the sentencing to start.

I bet he can't stand her.

And the dad's attorney is chatting at him a lot. What are they talking about?

My guess with the mother is gossip about family and people in jail. She seems to have no grasp of reality. Seems like a borderline to me.

I don't know what the hell the attorney is saying to the dad.

I'm certain they told them what to expect regarding sentencing. So why so unconcerned and nonchalant as they wait for sentencing but then they burst into tears as they're sentenced?

I noticed this. I could read some of her lips....a lot of times she did not move her lips which was impossible to ‘read’ what she said. I will not say what I could read. She seemed to flirt a lot with her attorney which was obvious. Almost like she did not grasp the gravity of what was going on. As far as the dad, he appeared to be reading paperwork. I wonder if he was reading his statement as he had a stubby pencil making notes. His attorney may have been going over points with him. The dad seemed more interested in the legal proceedings.

The tears....for themselves. The loss of their freedom.
They never tried to even mouth ‘hi’ to the siblings, they may have been told not to, but still it was strange like they were just watching a sad story.

Wow Joy's statement was something else. I wonder if her siblings agree with her. She seemed awfully forgiving. I wonder if she didn't get abused as much as the others or was a favorite.

I just don't understand how they did what they did, it seems they truly love each other and the kids. The ultra religious stuff is nuts. Also, that David seems like the patriarch controlling kind, all of this is his fault IMO. He groomed Louise to do what she did. Anyway. I'm glad it's over. What I wouldn't give to read those diaries!

I've been a member since 2004 or 2005. So I am aware. But their names were published in court today. So it is useless to use numbers and abbreviate at this point when it comes to the kids whose names were published. No one is going to exploit them due to a websleuths posting given their actual names were used in court and tweeted.

I agree gitana 1.

Perhaps gitana 1 and SkipperKey3 a mod can be contacted concerning using the names now instead of numbers or initials. Right now I do not see a mod on line, but a message can be left.

Wow Joy's statement was something else. I wonder if her siblings agree with her. She seemed awfully forgiving. I wonder if she didn't get abused as much as the others or was a favorite.

I just don't understand how they did what they did, it seems they truly love each other and the kids. The ultra religious stuff is nuts. Also, that David seems like the patriarch controlling kind, all of this is his fault IMO. He groomed Louise to do what she did. Anyway. I'm glad it's over. What I wouldn't give to read those diaries!
Maybe this is her way of dealing with all of this mess. She lost her parents. That was the life she knew. Sometimes, abusers can do no wrong in the eyes of the abused. Maybe she believes that forgiveness will bring her some peace. Maybe she is just trying to make sense of her parent's terrible actions, thus presenting excuses for said actions. If this is her way of getting some peace of mind and moving on, more power to her. For some people, forgiving is the best option, the only way to really be at peace and move forward. And, for some people, completely removing the people who hurt them from their lives for ever is the only way to go. Everyone is different, those siblings are different and the abuse they went through was not the same either. But all of them seem to understand that what they did was not okay and that's important.

I just saw the Father on tv, making a statement, he still doesn't own what a monster he is. Zero potential for rehabilitation for him. He was actually stating how "proud" he was of his children, with the underlying cause of how great they are was due no doubt, to him. Vomit emoticon!

The Mother was crying, and apologizing for how she treated her children, there may be hope for rehabilitation for her. They both belong in prison for life.

The children who spoke seemed so forgiving of their parents. I wonder if they feel some sort of reversed guilt.... I appreciate their kindness and willingness to forgive and I do believe their wishes should be respected. With that being said... almost Stockholm syndrome ish.

I wish them all the world has to offer. I am not particularly religious, but in their case I am grateful they have God to be a father to them. Seems to give them a truly beautiful strength.

Again... is the gravity of the parents being locked up somehow minimizing the legitimacy of their experience - because what they went through is actual torture.

I don't respect the one girls' wish that they be locked up less than 25 years though!!!

I noticed this. I could read some of her lips....a lot of times she did not move her lips which was impossible to ‘read’ what she said. I will not say what I could read. She seemed to flirt a lot with her attorney which was obvious. Almost like she did not grasp the gravity of what was going on. As far as the dad, he appeared to be reading paperwork. I wonder if he was reading his statement as he had a stubby pencil making notes. His attorney may have been going over points with him. The dad seemed more interested in the legal proceedings.

The tears....for themselves. The loss of their freedom.
They never tried to even mouth ‘hi’ to the siblings, they may have been told not to, but still it was strange like they were just watching a sad story.

Why won't you say what she said? I would like to know. I caught a couple things, like, "she told me" or "I told her".

According to some statements she was the ringleader. No way am I going to accept that she was some poor, abused woman being forced to abuse and torture her kids by her husband. I recognize her type. She seems like a total borderline to me.

They are equally responsible.

I just saw the Father on tv, making a statement, he still doesn't own what a monster he is. Zero potential for rehabilitation for him. He was actually stating how "proud" he was of his children, with the underlying cause of how great they are was due no doubt, to him. Vomit emoticon!

The Mother was crying, and apologizing for how she treated her children, there may be hope for rehabilitation for her. They both belong in prison for life.

Yeah, I was at least grateful that she seemed to truly accept responsibility. Although going form chatty, flirty Cathy, seeming to enjoy her conversation with her lawyer with a lot of gusto, to crying and apologetic pretty quickly, is disconcerting.

But I appreciated her words and hope it helps her kids.

Yeah, I was at least grateful that she seemed to truly accept responsibility. Although going form chatty, flirty Cathy, seeming to enjoy her conversation with her lawyer with a lot of gusto, to crying and apologetic pretty quickly, is disconcerting.

But I appreciated her words and hope it helps her kids.

I didn't see the flirting with her attorney. But the tears at least seemed real. She was probably crying for herself. More than likely.

There is somebody who was in court today that said that it was #6 (Jul), not #1 (Jen) that spoke. Hmmm.
Confusing, because in the playback I clearly heard them mention #1 (Jen). Did they both speak and I just miss it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member