IL IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of this is going to find him. He had to be transported somehow away from the home.
SABBM

Well yes--- since there's no scent of him outside the home.

LE needs to look at the cell phones of the parents and also security cams of any neighboring homes.
Except the dad claims his phone is missing.

Which could mean he hasn't been observed outside for a while. B/c AJ's scent should be all over that yard, garage, etc. Kids love to play outside.

So, he's been missing for some time ?

When was he last seen by people other than family ? He's not in school, so that can be ruled out.

At first it sounded from vids and posts here that the reason the dad doesn't have a phone is due to it being in LE's possession.
But maybe AF Sr. threw it away ?

I can't get past him (the dad) saying "Lets' get him home..." Get who home ? If it's AJ, why didn't he say his name ?

Last edited:
The police must feel very strongly that they're going to find out where AJ is at since they haven't said much if anything about searches, nor asked the public to search. The area around Crystal Lake has an almost infinite number of places to search, lots of parks and nature areas, trails, farm fields, marshes and waterways, gravel pits, etc etc. I really thought they'd call for volunteers today.

Ok just a thought...

What if there was something else going on besides the parents? The mom is 8 months pregnant. If she is receiving prenatal care, there is a good chance she is clean... as they most likely test her every dr apt. She is said to hang out at the CL AA club, working on her sobriety. I live in the neighborhood and have first hand knowledge that a lot of convicted sex offenders attend meetings there and may possibly be bearing witness to her struggles. I also know the night he disappeared, it was very windy and stormy.. thus making it hard for sniffer dogs to pick up a scent. Over on the Facebook, so many people are assuming they did something to him. No offense to AA, but meetings especially at that club are full of sketchy criminals... just because someone struggles with addiction doesn’t mean they abuse their children

Friday, police said canine units only picked up AJ's scent within the residence, indicating Andrew had not walked away on foot. Police said there is no indication that an abduction took place.

Police have called Freund's home a crime scene. The home sits quiet, empty and in disrepair with several windows missing. Shortly before 5 p.m. a large police presence was once again seen in and around the home, though authorities didn't say why so many officers were there.

Missing Crystal Lake boy Andrew 'AJ' Freund: 5-year-old did not leave home on foot, police say

AJ's mother, Joanne Cunningham, appeared outside the home with her attorney George Kililis Friday afternoon for a brief press conference. Cunningham did not speak, but Kililis asserted her innocence and said she was not involved in AJ's disappearance. He said evidence of the search in the house was distressing for her, so she would be staying with a friend for a couple days.

Kililis said Cunningham cooperated fully with police Thursday following the initial report of her son's disappearance until he got the impression she was considered a suspect, at which time he said he advised her to exercise her right to remain silent.

Cunningham left the home with her attorney and a plastic bag that appeared to be filled with items including photos of her missing son.

Kililis said he was not representing Freund's father.

Missing Crystal Lake boy Andrew 'AJ' Freund: 5-year-old did not leave home on foot, police say

I think it's because the neighbors have said they reported abuse,and neglect to them before.
Can't put that cat back in the bag.
SABBM
True.

Every person struggling with addiction doesn't abuse their kids-- but this pair had been reported to CPS before this.
So they have a record for how the children were being treated.
Very sad that CPS returned them to the home.

Eta : Cps has been known to have failed children before.

They have returned children back to parent(s) who have not completed the steps they were supposed to have taken. One family comes into mind ; but the case of Adrian Jones is a horrible example.

We don't know what rehab steps were or weren't taken, but the fact that CPS (or DFCS) made public the domestic violence and drug addictions of the parents is telling.

Along with LE declaring the home a 'crime scene' so swiftly !

Last edited:
It’s not that cps just gave up and said “here take him back”

In order for her to have gotten him back it would have taken many hoops... a crap ton of treatment (rehabilitation) and several court dates. She had to prove she could be a fit mom and it took two years. She had to have many things in place.. a job, a home. She obviously gave a damn at one point

Ok just a thought...

What if there was something else going on besides the parents? The mom is 8 months pregnant. If she is receiving prenatal care, there is a good chance she is clean... as they most likely test her every dr apt. She is said to hang out at the CL AA club, working on her sobriety. I live in the neighborhood and have first hand knowledge that a lot of convicted sex offenders attend meetings there and may possibly be bearing witness to her struggles. I also know the night he disappeared, it was very windy and stormy.. thus making it hard for sniffer dogs to pick up a scent. Over on the Facebook, so many people are assuming they did something to him. No offense to AA, but meetings especially at that club are full of sketchy criminals... just because someone struggles with addiction doesn’t mean they abuse their children

I'm not calling you out. I think I understand your intent, but adults who are addicted and using whatever their drug of choice is are abusing their children. It may not be physical, but it is certainly abuse. I've seen it first-hand in my own family. The parents did get clean, but the effects of that year and a half are still evident four years later :(

Closest water and park are only a couple minutes drive. See the map for landmarks. Its about 8 to 10 minutes for someone walking. No bridges, like in Kansas. But plenty of isolated fields and brush along North Shore Drive, only minutes away. No houses or businesses along this road. See screenshot of the road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190419-225330.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419-225330.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20190419-231212.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419-231212.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20190419-231347.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419-231347.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm not calling you out. I think I understand your intent, but adults who are addicted and using whatever their drug of choice is are abusing their children. It may not be physical, but it is certainly abuse. I've seen it first-hand in my own family. The parents did get clean, but the effects of that year and a half are still evident four years later :(
I see what you are saying. It’s neglect. But there’s neglect because of drug abuse... and then there is murder.

There is also a huge park that I can only get as close as W. Crystal Lake Ave. Which is minutes away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190419-232810.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419-232810.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20190419-232730.jpg
    Screenshot_20190419-232730.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 12
Maybe the
Police already know something... but if they don’t, it would be a shame to stop searching. Not one helicopter today.

This is the county of the cop who orchestrated his own death to look as if he went down a hero. After all the money spent honoring the guy and all the kind words, and remembrances... it was discovered WAY TO LATE that he was a complete fraud who nearly bankrupted the entire department. He wasn’t killed. He committed suicide. He sent everyone on a witch-hunt to hunt his killers... two made up people he radio-ed in before shooting himself. Also we have a man sitting in jail for the disappearance of Brian carrick... and there is no evidence. Kathleen Zelner is his atty. That should speak for something. It’s hard not to at least wonder about tunnel vision here.

"... Please come home. You're not in trouble..." (Freund Sr.)
What an odd message.

Why would this child think he was in trouble ?
Had they disciplined him ?

And the description of what he was last wearing sounds like day clothing, including that AJ was wearing shoes.
Did he normally wear shoes to bed ?
I'm getting some vibes of Haleigh Cummings.
This reminds me of Caliyah McNabb's mother calling out "Caliyah? Caliyyaaah!" on the 911 call - to a 15 day old infant, as if she was hiding somewhere to play a trick.

Andrew is only 5 and wouldn't have gotten very far if he took off on his own. And what 5 year old would do so at night?

Then mom lawyers up. I've seen that most often in cases where the parent ends up being named a POI or suspect (Semaj Crosby for example). To me it says LE isn't convinced that mom is being completely transparent and she knows it. JMO though.

Poor little guy never had a chance...
UPDATE: Brother Of Missing Crystal Lake Boy Andrew ‘A.J.’ Freund Placed In DCFS Custody; Cops Raid Home

Mom of Missing 5-Year-Old Not Talking to Cops: Attorney

Sigh.

The mother of a missing Crystal Lake boy is no longer speaking to police, her recently acquired defense attorney said Friday, after her lawyer said authorities might be considering her a suspect in the child’s disappearance.

Joann Cunningham was cooperating with cops until her defense attorney, George Kililis, got the impression she was being treated as a suspect, he told reporters outside the home of Andrew Freund Jr., who was reported missing Thursday. He said he is not representing the boy’s father Andrew Freund Sr.

If LE consider their home a crime scene and with all that would entail; then of course they're going to look closely at the adults in the residence.
Curious as to what showed evidence of a crime scene ? Blood ? Was his bed upended and his toys flung about ?
What made LE believe something bad had happened to AJ ?

Were the windows broken out that night or had they been missing for some time ? And if so-- why hadn't they been repaired ?
It'd make it easy for a perp to sneak into an open window -- but LE have said there was no abduction.

LE have never said JC was a suspect or even a person of interest.
So why would she think that ?

Innocent parents do lawyer up, there's nothing wrong with that. But they don't stop cooperating.

Maybe the
Police already know something... but if they don’t, it would be a shame to stop searching. Not one helicopter today.

This is the county of the cop who orchestrated his own death to look as if he went down a hero. After all the money spent honoring the guy and all the kind words, and remembrances... it was discovered WAY TO LATE that he was a complete fraud who nearly bankrupted the entire department. He wasn’t killed. He committed suicide. He sent everyone on a witch-hunt to hunt his killers... two made up people he radio-ed in before shooting himself. Also we have a man sitting in jail for the disappearance of Brian carrick... and there is no evidence. Kathleen Zelner is his atty. That should speak for something. It’s hard not to at least wonder about tunnel vision here.
That was Lake County (Fox Lake) and this is McHenry County (Crystal Lake). They brought the FBI in almost right away here, but I do wonder why there were no searches today in any area. I know many people who would have gone to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member