GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe whoever did this, went through the trouble of putting SD in the lake because their DNA was all over her. It's the only thing that makes sense.
And his head or mouth had their DNA........

Was it determined whose blood was on RD's bruised hands?

Wondered if it was Shirleys since her hair was in his hands, maybe they had hit her when he was trying to get ahold of her to stop them.

I know they drug his body a few feet, he was on his back, maybe it was that blood, his own blood? IDK

Thinking out loud

It was said somewhere along the way by SS that SD could no longer do the stairs, nor go to the waterfront (likely due to perhaps uneven ground, and the property's decline towards the water?).. I forget the word that SS used to describe her (suffered frailties?).. something that he said he had discovered after the fact. I'm thinking she had to have been dead before she was put on the boat.

Even if a boat had to have been used to dispose of SD's body, I believe she (and RD's head) were taken by road-vehicle, perhaps to a boat waiting somewhere(?). To me, it was way riskier to arrive by water, since virtually anyone could have happened to go by in a boat and notice the killer's boat parked there for some time, versus arriving at a heavily treed property on a dead end, with empty lots on either side, and the only neighbor two doors down apparently away in Asia.

I'm still really confused about the difference in hair color between the 'grey' which was found in both of RD's hands, versus the 'blonde' that SD had at the time, and both descriptions reported by same person at same time... but yet obviously DNA testing would have been done to confirm the hair in RD's hands belonged to SD.. it almost makes me wonder if the killer(s) took some hair from SD, perhaps from a hairbrush in a bathroom, and put it in RD's hands, to make it appear to be something different than it actually was. (ie a LOT of planning, whether long-term or at the time).

How did the killers know that the cameras were 'out' at the guard shack entrance, and that the D's security system was also not functioning?

Why were no phonecalls from the kids to police made between Thursday night and Tues evening (that is 5 full days) to do a wellness check, if the son reportedly spoke to the dad almost daily? We already know none of the kids called a neighbor to check (otherwise the neighbor *would* have checked, or at least informed police of said request, and also would've had the contact info to give to police instead of police having to track it down in the hours after RD's body was found).
I believe what SS said was that Shirley had “physical infirmities.” If you read the autopsy she had had a lot of surgeries and body parts (knees, hips) redone.
Which also begs the question, how was she cleaning the whole house herself? It’s two levels, right? I’ve been assuming the MBR is on the main level. Am I sexist to think that Russell prob wasn’t scrubbing the lavatories?

I believe what SS said was that Shirley had “physical infirmities.” If you read the autopsy she had had a lot of surgeries and body parts (knees, hips) redone.
Which also begs the question, how was she cleaning the whole house herself? It’s two levels, right? I’ve been assuming the MBR is on the main level. Am I sexist to think that Russell prob wasn’t scrubbing the lavatories?
ask the kids, its been told they had no lawn maintenance or maid service IIRC..........the woman could walk though, she was not in a wheel chair, she couldnt do stairs and steep inclines is what I gathered

The house was virtually empty, something to that affect, minimal furnishings.

What is required to clean with 2 old people with no hobbies but sitting around and maybe doing crossword puzzles. SHe did Bridge and he walked

With nothing in the house and only the 2 of them..........could they?

My aunt has a maid bi weekly who mops and cleans... clean toilets and tubs LOL

I remember it being said by SS they had a very big house but only used 3 room the kitchen, living room and 1 bedroom. I'm sure Mr D had no problem cleaning the bathroom and Mrs D probably kept the kitchen and living room cleaned

Anyone have links? Refresh my memory? Shirley Dermonds Purse and keys were left behind...............

Was her wallet opened? Was her wallet in her purse? Where was her purse located in the home upon arrival of LE? Was it on kitchen island/counter? Where were the car keys? Was her purse opened?

Besides nothing DISTURBED, we know the perps DID go inside the home briefly at least, to get the towels used for the blood in garage so they DID go inside and possibly entered in kitchen door from screened porch making their way to the garage.

Nothing in the home was disturbed

This has to be quite telling. They obviously just came to kill

Anyone have links? Refresh my memory? Shirley Dermonds Purse and keys were left behind...............

Was her wallet opened? Was her wallet in her purse? Where was her purse located in the home upon arrival of LE? Was it on kitchen island/counter? Where were the car keys? Was her purse opened?

Besides nothing DISTURBED, we know the perps DID go inside the home briefly at least, to get the towels used for the blood in garage so they DID go inside and possibly entered in kitchen door from screened porch making their way to the garage.

One of the early articles (which I can no longer find) specifically stated that Shirley’s two handbags were located on the vanity in the bedroom. Cell phone as well. I don’t recall actual mention of the wallet.
As for whether/how much the perps were in the house: I almost feel like they sneaked up on the D’s, possibly even slipping in through an unlocked slider or screened porch door. RD does not seem like the type who would be comfortable greeting people who stopped by in his boxer shorts and robe. I just get the feeling he and SD were set upon totally unawares, sometime on Saturday morning. Whatever happened in the garage was maybe to contain the mess or simply bc the garage has few windows (pix show it maybe has one set of windows on one side) and could be done discreetly.

One of the early articles (which I can no longer find) specifically stated that Shirley’s two handbags were located on the vanity in the bedroom. Cell phone as well. I don’t recall actual mention of the wallet.
As for whether/how much the perps were in the house: I almost feel like they sneaked up on the D’s, possibly even slipping in through an unlocked slider or screened porch door. RD does not seem like the type who would be comfortable greeting people who stopped by in his boxer shorts and robe. I just get the feeling he and SD were set upon totally unawares, sometime on Saturday morning. Whatever happened in the garage was maybe to contain the mess or simply bc the garage has few windows (pix show it maybe has one set of windows on one side) and could be done discreetly.

I think that one window was not in the garage but in the bathroom and/or laundry room that was there. If you look in the hallway from kitchen, that leads to the garage interior/exterior door, there was another door between kitchen and that one on the end which is according to the podcast a bathroom atleast, if not both, with laundry too.......and the podcast said towels were removed from he laundry room by kitchen

I had thought that too though, the garage was under the guise of privacy I guess..SOOO many windows in the house. Someone outside could go on any porch or deck and see inside........nowhere for someone to hide and commit this heinous crime insdie except in a bedroom or closet I guess........what a mess.......why would they care though except to not feel like prisoners in the home themselves during this horrific act

AND, not as easy to escape maybe if someone came to the door

Well on that not, didnt they feel trapped in the garage too? They had to know or assume NO ONE was coming inside the house.

Someone would have to hit the garage door button inside or have the code if someone came inside had the perps been there at that same time

SO MUCH could have happened

BUt it didnt and they got off scott free............why I think they knew the family and neighborhood and the D's routine and about the derby party

THanks, I couldnt recall but I remember that now........so no one plundered through her wallet for cash or credit cards, that we know of except that the wallet wasnt mentioned and had it been plundered thru, it would have probalby been left open and on the floor or dresser outside of purse

IF they came to extort, youd think they would have atleast taken something of value or rummaged thru the purse or D's wallet for cash..............doesnt appear they even LOOKED for any cash

Extortion may not have been the deal here..........so they get so mad, they risk everything by hauling her off and by cutting his head off, spending way too much time getting rid of them........hmmmm, not really buying that

Doesnt make sense still.........IMO

SS believes this was extortion and I have to disagree unless he knows something we don't and maybe he has a reason to believe that but extortion turned into a homicide is rare. Robbery turned into murder is common but nothing of value was stolen that we know of. To bash in the head of a frail 87 year old lady and only shoot an 88 year old man to death ( single gunshot to the head = very quick death usually) tells me this was personal . Also if this was over real estate murder would be far fetched

There's no reason to believe that the two died at different times from each other, so who exactly would the killer be extorting? There was no ransom request or anything..

There's also really nothing to suggest that RD was shot in the head, other than SS's say-so that a bit of GSR was found on RD's shirt, which was not mentioned in the autopsy report in the description of the clothing. I know from following another case that GSR can linger sometimes, even after laundering.

I wonder why it doesn't seem to occur to SS that the killer(s) may have deliberately staged something other than how it really was, JUST to keep him off track, ie by decapitating, by taking one, by supposedly trying to make SD disappear, by making it seem like it was a spur of the moment thing, using whatever items were found around. Leave him thinking, who would DO that, when meanwhile, maybe it's the most common reason, simply staged to trick him into believing something different.

Their children not going to their funeral, would that show anger toward the parents? I can't imagine children not going to their parents funeral or was there someone going to that funeral they suspected and did not want to see. Did all of their children skip the funeral, can't remember.

New thoughts!!

It just occurred to me... It's interesting that since nothing was disturbed in the house, the immediate thoughts of SS or LE was that a family member, in this case, the wife, might be guilty of this crime

I have always been of the notion or it seems, it's typically a family member involvement of a crime when nothing is dusturbed or stolen from the home

I guess his immediate assumption was the wife

Another new thought...

The shock factor of BOTH victims, intentional or not intentional

Why.. if intentional

We know the perps knew RD would eventually be Disciverd and because of towels damping the blood flow out the garage into driveway, it's also apparent they didn't want him found right away

IRONICALLY,, SD was not found right Away either

I STILL have to ask, was this intentional? ?

I DO NOT KNOW Why, just posting my analytical thoughts

Another newbie....

SS says they, should have found the bullet, there should have been blood splatter if shot inside the garage... There was neither, leading LE to think he was killed elsewhere, even outside it carted back in to garage

But, I have read GSR lingers.... What if RD was simply hit with butt of the gun, that could leave very little GSR, and as PH said to me, GSR doesn't mean he was shot

What If.... What if during the struggle RD Did BITE the perp and was subsequently hit in the neck or back or back of head with butt of gun .. Which could have left "very little gsr on his collar " as it's been told

They would have had to take his head due to their DNA all in his mouth

Let's get me some new thoughts on this case it's bound to take us somewhere, we are spinning our wheels!

Happy Passover ya'll

Their children not going to their funeral, would that show anger toward the parents? I can't imagine children not going to their parents funeral or was there someone going to that funeral they suspected and did not want to see. Did all of their children skip the funeral, can't remember.
I hadn't heard that one?? Do you have a link for that?? I think I recall reading that the fam did not attend a 'vigil' or something.. but the funeral????

Hey Kay......I know they didnt attend the Vigil, seemed like it was the week the Dermonds kids were in town but not sure

I know they waited to have any kind of service for HIM, until they found HER......which i also thought was odd, but I've never been in that position......I know SS didnt have high hopes she'd be found alive

KD had said the D's had wanted their ashes scattered in Lake Oconee, but he said "ALMOST didnt feel like that was appropriate any more
.........I would have said, heck no, not now, not ALMOST, that struck me as odd

I still feel like they know something

Russell Joseph Dermond
BIRTH 6 Jun 1925
Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA
DEATH 6 May 2014 (aged 88)
Putnam County, Georgia, USA
BURIAL
Eatonton Memorial Park
Eatonton, Putnam County, Georgia, USA
MEMORIAL ID 129350580 · View Source

SUGGEST EDITS
United States Navy veteran

Funeral Services for Mr. Russell J. Dermond, age 88, will be private.
from: William Funeral Home webpage, Eatonton, GA, @http://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Russell-Dermond/#!/Obituary:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv