CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

And Ben from WY knew this all too well.
Even a foot of snow or less is treacherous. Especially if snow fell over ice. Dangerous to the nth degree. Another reason Ben did not ride alone, imo.

I have same theory today as I did he day I heard about it, so no haven't deviated on it..

I’m the same on the other 3 cases I follow.
How is Merritt weather today?
Tysm

Perhaps his information came from ranch records. There should have been some records on how many head went into a pasture and how many pairs came back to the ranch.

Another option would be that he was present for the late fall gather and be aware that they missed a few or it's not unusual for someone to call a ranch and simply tell them they spotted cattle with their brand in a certain area.

If those strays were simply cattle still on crown land, it could put the ranch in default of the terms of their lease and the ranch would risk losing their grazing lease.

Yes those are good possibilities. And I’m speculating if bovine TB was an issue at NR and if all cattle herds within Nicola Valley were placed under quarantine for the early duration of the outbreak, regardless of the specific ranch it was found on, the CFIA would likely require that the actual head count agree with NRs inventory. This could be another reason for searching for stray cattle, particularly if that was also the same task of ranch employees during their work week.

Remember, Ben was GM, not cow boss.
I posted want ad for cow boss, his responsibility is to work from horseback, oversee the cowboys. IMO, GM would oversee every aspect of the ranch. He would have calls, emails, schedules, vet appointments, sales, logging, possibly home renovations , vehicle & equipment mtc., to oversee. As time permitted, or if his help was needed, the GM would be on horseback.
With the cash flow issue we've read about, my theory is Ben had his hands full getting up to speed with the goings on at NR.
Moo

GM as in General Manager? Do you have a source for this? And who then was the Ranch Manager, the person with primary responsibility over the cattle herd?

I’m the same on the other 3 cases I follow.
How is Merritt weather today?
Tysm
Sunny and windy (nothing new there) Snow should be melting fast on mt. if these type of days continue.

And Ben from WY knew this all too well.
Even a foot of snow or less is treacherous. Especially if snow fell over ice. Dangerous to the nth degree. Another reason Ben did not ride alone, imo.

Just curious, what types of activities do you think Ben did on his days off? And do experienced cowboys place a lot of significance on a buddy system? They don’t ever go riding alone? I’d have a hard time believing Ben never rode alone as he seemed a guy with a strong independent streak, given his travels. However I am very certain Ben was not out riding on an ice topped rocky mountain and I don’t know where you got that impression. Much of the snowfall occurred on the Sunday after his disappearance iirc.

Yes those are good possibilities. And I’m speculating if bovine TB was an issue at NR and if all cattle herds within Nicola Valley were placed under quarantine for the early duration of the outbreak, regardless of the specific ranch it was found on, the CFIA would likely require that the actual head count agree with NRs inventory. This could be another reason for searching for stray cattle, particularly if that was also the same task of ranch employees during their work week.

I don't believe that all herds in the valley were quarantined and can't find any articles indicating that to be fact. I can find that 4 animals from that area were found to be infected and it's a new strain. If the whole valley was under quarrantine, it would be well documented.

The simple fact is that if 20 pairs were left behind, the ranch is missing $30,000+ in inventory and eve 5 is enough money to warrant looking for them. Cattle can't forage like horses can and to leave them behind would be a poor management decision.

I don't believe that all herds in the valley were quarantined and can't find any articles indicating that to be fact. I can find that 4 animals from that area were found to be infected and it's a new strain. If the whole valley was under quarrantine, it would be well documented.

The simple fact is that if 20 pairs were left behind, the ranch is missing $30,000+ in inventory and eve 5 is enough money to warrant looking for them. Cattle can't forage like horses can and to leave them behind would be a poor management decision.
You seem to have some knowledge about cow (myself not to much), what is the chances of predators getting the cows or dying from conditions if on top of mountain? Is it likely by then they would still be alive? There was a pretty good snowfall earlier in Jan up higher, so assuming mountain top was covered..

Just curious, what types of activities do you think Ben did on his days off? And do experienced cowboys place a lot of significance on a buddy system? They don’t ever go riding alone? I’d have a hard time believing Ben never rode alone as he seemed a guy with a strong independent streak, given his travels. However I am very certain Ben was not out riding on an ice topped rocky mountain and I don’t know where you got that impression. Much of the snowfall occurred on the Sunday after his disappearance iirc.

I believe they were commenting on my statement that in winter, a rider would be more inclined to stick to cleared roads than snow covered trails to avoid laming a horse.

I highly doubt there where any cows up high. They would all be down in the lower meadows being hayed. Ben never went to "gather strays" at 2:00 on a winters day, hogwash and I doubt he went for a pleasure ride either that late in the day. JMO from experience.

I believe they were commenting on my statement that in winter, a rider would be more inclined to stick to cleared roads than snow covered trails to avoid laming a horse.

Yes maybe. I’ve not noticed anyone insisting Ben was riding in high snow covered elevations nor have I. The search proved he wasn’t found in the immediate area of where his horse was found and it appears he had no reason to be in the logging road anyway. However horses are capable of travel without a rider. My question would be (not directly to you) what’s the point of staging a horse where the rider was unlikely to be, intentionally creating immediate suspicion?

It’s a mystery why it was reported Ben was seen riding Saturday and then again Sunday, including where he might’ve been headed.
“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.”

You seem to have some knowledge about cow (myself not to much), what is the chances of predators getting the cows or dying from conditions if on top of mountain? Is it likely by then they would still be alive? There was a pretty good snowfall earlier in Jan up higher, so assuming mountain top was covered..

If they were mine, I would have gone back before then. Bear should have been denned by then but cats would still be a threat. In theory, the cattle should have drifted to lower lying areas, in search of feed, when it started to snow higher up.

Yes maybe. I’ve not noticed anyone insisting Ben was riding in high snow covered elevations nor have I. The search proved he wasn’t found in the immediate area of where his horse was found and it appears he had no reason to be in the logging road anyway. However horses are capable of travel without a rider. My question would be (not directly to you) what’s the point of staging a horse where the rider was unlikely to be, intentionally creating immediate suspicion?

It’s a mystery why it was reported Ben was seen riding Saturday and then again Sunday, including where he might’ve been headed.
“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.”

It's going to take a long time to find cause of death if everybody is searching Swakum Mountain and the body is 10 or 15 miles in another direction.

If they were mine, I would have gone back before then. Bear should have been denned by then but cats would still be a threat. In theory, the cattle should have drifted to lower lying areas, in search of feed, when it started to snow higher up.
Thank you very much.. I was told by a local no one goes searching that time of year for cows on swakum...

IIRC it was Swakum Ridge were it was said he might’ve went to look for stray cattle, not the logging road off Hwy 97c near Winnie Flats on Swakum Mtn.

What’s the distance and terrain between the two, I don’t think we know. But if Ben was indeed riding the Sunday, headed in the Swakum Ridge direction and was ambushed/attacked, could’ve the riderless horse ended up on the logging road by the next morning? Why I’m curious - when the horse was located why did other ranchers rationalize it by the comment that Ben might’ve been searching for stray cattle at Swakum Ridge if the distance made it impossible. I’d assume they’d be fully familiar with the lay of the land to have stated that possibility.

It's going to take a long time to find cause of death if everybody is searching Swakum Mountain and the body is 10 or 15 miles in another direction.

Yeah or the remains on NR

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back