Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
per the court site:

Event
Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
ORDER APPOINTING COURT INTERPRETER YATES JOEL D 04/04/2019 04/04/2019 04/04/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO INTERPRETER

ORDER APPROVING WITHDRAWAL OF COUNSEL YATES JOEL D
04/03/2019 04/03/2019 04/03/2019

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL ROAN LAURA 04/03/2019
04/03/2019 04/03/2019

ORDER ON INTERPRETER OR TRANSLATOR FEE ITEMIZATION GAMON LUCY 03/28/2019 03/29/2019 03/29/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO S RHODES

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
I believe I figured it out: Laura Roan and Joel Yates worked for the prosecution, -- it looks like they've moved on.

"We need to know what it is that the prosecutor intends to produce as evidence. That’s something that we’re entitled to under Iowa law," she said.

Assistant Iowa Attorney General Laura Roan said prosecutors intend to resist the defense's motion. She said there are deadlines in place for when prosecutors must provide evidence and they intend to comply with them.

Police have said Bahena Rivera told them he pursued Tibbetts in his car while she was jogging that night, before parking, getting out of the car and running behind and alongside her.

Mollie Tibbetts slaying suspect's lawyers say state must provide more detail about his charge

Am I reading this correctly that there was a motion and an approval to withdraw counsel yesterday? This would be the second time for CR.
I believe withdrawal was granted -- but these are not his lawyers. Laura Roan was reportedly prosecuting this case.....

"The filing of this motion is premature," Scott Brown and Laura Roan, the Iowa assistant attorneys general prosecuting the case, said in court records. bbm

More: Mollie Tibbetts: Complete coverage of Iowa woman's disappearance, death

A report from the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation will be finalized and delivered to Bahena Rivera's attorneys Friday. Further forensic testing was expected to be done in November, prosecutors said.

'That's my car': Prosecutors reveal new detail of suspect's murder charge in Mollie Tibbetts killing

In the article above #142 - says this:

Bahena Rivera's trial has been set for April 16, 2019. If convicted, he would be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Not true - trial starts 9/3/19. I have his next hearing on 6/25. If anyone hears of one before then - please post! TIA!

In the article above #142 - says this:

Bahena Rivera's trial has been set for April 16, 2019. If convicted, he would be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Not true - trial starts 9/3/19. I have his next hearing on 6/25. If anyone hears of one before then - please post! TIA!
Yes that's right here's an linked article that explained the reschedule from April 16 to Sept 3.
An Iowa judge on Friday set a September trial date for the man accused of killing University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts.

Judge Joel Yates set Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial to begin at 9 a.m. Sept. 3 at Poweshiek County courthouse, court records show.

Iowa judge sets September trial for man accused of murdering Mollie Tibbetts

I believe I figured it out: Laura Roan and Joel Yates worked for the prosecution, -- it looks like they've moved on.

"We need to know what it is that the prosecutor intends to produce as evidence. That’s something that we’re entitled to under Iowa law," she said.

Assistant Iowa Attorney General Laura Roan said prosecutors intend to resist the defense's motion. She said there are deadlines in place for when prosecutors must provide evidence and they intend to comply with them.

Police have said Bahena Rivera told them he pursued Tibbetts in his car while she was jogging that night, before parking, getting out of the car and running behind and alongside her.

Mollie Tibbetts slaying suspect's lawyers say state must provide more detail about his charge
Joel Yates is/was the Judge in this case.

Judge Joel Yates set Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial to begin at 9 a.m. Sept. 3 at Poweshiek County courthouse, court records show.

I still think of Mollie and her family often. Like all of you I’m hoping and praying for swift justice.

What would "justice" look like here? Nothing will bring Mollie Tibbets back, and the safety of women being able to just be safe doing ordinary things feels more and more unsafe. I don't like to be an alarmist, but is it safe for a young woman to go running alone? Go traveling to a foreign country? Grab an Uber for a ride home?

I don't want to live in fear of bad things happening, or scare my daughters...but it feels to me as though our society has changed. Rape culture mentality and male entitlement is rampant. I don't know why that is...or if my perception is skewed.

I bought my daughter a treadmill. I don't want her running outside alone.

What would "justice" look like here? Nothing will bring Mollie Tibbets back, and the safety of women being able to just be safe doing ordinary things feels more and more unsafe. I don't like to be an alarmist, but is it safe for a young woman to go running alone? Go traveling to a foreign country? Grab an Uber for a ride home?

I don't want to live in fear of bad things happening, or scare my daughters...but it feels to me as though our society has changed. Rape culture mentality and male entitlement is rampant. I don't know why that is...or if my perception is skewed.

I've had these same feelings Mickey! I am a runner and this made me a little fearful and definitely upped my safety game. Running is an escape for me, not just exercise and I refuse to give it up. I am smarter now because of Mollie. I found this gadget called Tiger Lady, it's a retractable 'claw' basically that you hold in your hand comfortably while running. All you have to do is squeeze it and the claws come out and watch out. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of those things!

It's sad to think these horrible things happen to innocent people all the time, every day across the world. We can only better educate, prepare and defend ourselves. IMO

We are probably more cognizant of these things happening because we do follow cases here on WS.

@girlhasnoname That is really false security. I am sorry to say. A man who attacks a woman, is going to bring her down. My daughter has bear spray, and an item similar to what you have.

Probably the best defense I have in my favor is my size, at 6'0", 175, not a lot of men would find that size of woman worth messing with.

@girlhasnoname That is really false security. I am sorry to say. A man who attacks a woman, is going to bring her down. My daughter has bear spray, and an item similar to what you have.

Probably the best defense I have in my favor is my size, at 6'0", 175, not a lot of men would find that size of woman worth messing with.

You're right about size! And very fortunate to have size on your side. I'm constantly noticing how petite almost all of the victims are in the cases I read about--both the victims of unknown attackers, and most of the victims of partners/former partners. I believe it is a sad reality that male predators as well as domineering and entitled males intentionally target or seek smaller women; therefore, smaller women have to be even more cautious than medium size or larger size women. MOO.

I also think our society has changed in regard to women's safety, and I believe it has to do with women feeling empowered to live their lives with the same human rights as men. By that, I mean women have increasingly become more independent and refuse to limit their activities. Unfortunately, doing so puts women at risk. For example, I don't remember my mother going out alone after dark, traveling alone, or doing many things alone, and she was 5'9"--taller than many men of her generation--and a strong farm girl. Women of that generation were socialized to be dependent--stay in groups, be accompanied by a male, or stay safe at home. She simply wasn't comfortable doing many things alone because it was not acceptable for women of her generation. Today's generation of women are socialized differently, and feel entitled to go where they want when they want, and rightly so, but the reality is that it makes women more vulnerable to gender-based violence and femicide, which is on the rise worldwide.

Posters on another thread were saying that "statistics" show "people" are safer today than in the past. I would be very interested in seeing those "statistics" broken down by gender. I believe they would show that females are not safer. MOO.

Below is a link to an article about female solo travel that I posted in Carla Stefaniak's thread because it mentions her murder in Costa Rica. It includes some interesting information on gender violence in general.

Adventurous. Alone. Attacked.
“We have evidence that shows that women face risks that men don’t face in public spaces, at home, wherever they may be,” said Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, executive director of UN Women, an organization that promotes female equality. Increasingly, “wherever they may be” includes alone in foreign countries. But she said that violence against female tourists was a thread in the broader fabric of violence against women around the world. And violent episodes are just as likely to occur, experts note, in rich Western nations such as France, Italy and Germany as in the developing world.

"The root cause of this kind of violence against women in communities and in public and private spaces has a lot to do with the underlying gender stereotypes, social norms, entitlement and patriarchy,” Ms. Mlambo-Ngcuka said.

On May 8, 2019, we will celebrating Mollie's 21st birthday," Tibbetts' mother, Laura Calderwood, said in a news release. "It is only fitting that on this day, we recognize the fundraising efforts of the Brooklyn Opera House. ... It is also a building where Mollie's grandmother, grandfather, mother, aunt, and uncle spent countless hours volunteering time and energy.”...

One anonymous person has pledged to match the first $500,000 in donations, according to a news release from Mollie's Movement, a community service organization helping with the event. The total amount of money raised will be announced at a public event Wednesday at the Michael J. Manatt Community Center.
Mollie Tibbetts family honors slain woman's birthday with fundraiser for opera house

Mollie should be alive getting ready to celebrate her 21st birthday. What a milestone it would have been for such a caring, compassionate, giving level headed young woman.

Instead she's buried, her family grieves her loss and the killer is going to face justice in September. CR took away a bright and shining star and I hope he spends the rest of his days behind bars.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN HEAVEN MOLLIE!

Last edited:
Mollie Tibbetts' mother breaks her silence | Daily Mail Online

• Mollie Tibbetts' mom Laura Calderwood gave her first TV interview Wednesday
  • Wednesday would have been Mollie's 21st birthday if she weren't murdered
  • Iowa college student was jogging last July when she was snatched and stabbed
  • Was missing for weeks before illegal immigrant Cristhian Rivera led cops to body
  • Now Calderwood hopes to shift coverage of case away from immigration
  • Has invited a friend of her daughter's accused killer to live with her family
  • Urges performing acts of kindness in honor of 'Mollie's Movement'
13243414-7006009-image-a-12_1557323218029.jpg

[...]
'I don't want to feel anger, so I just don't spend a lot of time thinking about it at all,' Calderwood said of her daughter's abduction and stabbing death.

She and her friends have started 'Mollie's Movement', a group dedicated to urging others to perform acts of kindness.

On Wednesday, which would have been Mollie's birthday, the group is urging people to perform 21 acts of kindness.

They are also encouraging others to donate $21 toward rebuilding the Brooklyn Opera House in their small city of 1,500.

'Mollie was very dedicated to theater arts,' said Calderwood, adding that she hopes 'it will start people thinking about paying kindness forward.'

One anonymous person has pledged to match the first $500,000 in donations, according to a news release from Mollie's Movement, a community service organization helping with the event. The total amount of money raised will be announced at a public event Wednesday at the Michael J. Manatt Community Center.

“Brooklyn Community Development, the non-profit restoring the Brooklyn Opera House is honored that Mollie's Movement and the Tibbetts Family thought of us for Mollie's birthday celebration," the release states. "She lived an art-filled life with a dedication to her community, and we hope to fulfill everything she would have loved about this project.”
Mollie Tibbetts family honors slain woman's birthday with fundraiser for opera house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆