GUILTY IA - Ackley couple arrested for locking 9 year old child under stairs & deprived food, July 2018

I can't access this article:

High-profile kidnapping case moves forward in Dickinson County

Hoping someone can give a 10% synopsis on this - and if there is a court date in there? TIA! :)
From your link

District Court Judge James Ellesfson moved the Alex Shadlow trial out of Eldora — and to the Dickinson County Courthouse in Spirit Lake — in an effort to find a jury that might be unfamiliar with the case and its details. Shadlow is now scheduled to stand trial at 9:30 a.m. Monday, Sept. 30.

A March 15 court order also instructs the Hardin County Sheriff's Office to transport Shadlow in street clothes to Spirit Lake as jury selection begins at the end of September.
[...]
Prosecutors and Tyler's attorney submitted written versions of their closing arguments at the end of February. The judge is still reviewing the post-trial briefs and has yet to render a verdic

Thank you ikulia!
Unfortunately, nothing "new" to me, at least in there! :D

I'll go look at the court site...

The only court date coming for Shadlow is final pretrial hearing on 9/27, with trial starting 9/30 with jury selection. I'll keep an eye just in case there is a court date before then. :)

Thank you ikulia!
Unfortunately, nothing "new" to me, at least in there! :D

I'll go look at the court site...
Yes, nothing new there, the same info as the article posted last week by JerseyGirl.

I can't access this article - looks like the Judge finally made his decision - at least I can read the headline... sentenced to??

Judge: Tyler guilty of false imprisonment, not kidnapping

If someone can give a 10% synopsis of this - it would be appreciated! TIA! :)
I'm not sure if I am seeing the whole article, I am only able to see 2 phrases, basically saying the same thing, that Tyler was found guilty of false imprisonment, and not the first or third degree kidnapping charges.

ETA - spelling

Darn - I wonder "how much time" she will be sentenced for. Maybe.... I'll go look in the court site.

Tyler:

Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
CASH BOND POSTED 04/10/2019 04/10/2019 04/10/2019
Comments: DEFT CITED INTO COURT 4/26/19 @ 2:00 P.M.

CRIMINAL VERDICT ELLEFSON JAMES C 04/10/2019 04/10/2019 04/10/2019
Comments: AND ORDERS AND SET SENTENCING FOR 4/26/2019 @ 2:00 P.M.

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

the only thing new for Shadlow:

OTHER APPLICATION SANDY JOHN LAWRENCE 04/08/2019 04/08/2019 04/08/2019
Comments: FOR STATE EXPENSE VOUCHER FOR EXPERT WITNESS

Iowa woman convicted of lesser charge after 'locking her boyfriend's son in a basement' | Daily Mail Online

An Iowa woman who locked her boyfriend's eight-year-old son in a tiny room under basement stairs has been spared a kidnapping charge.

Traci Tyler, 40, was found guilty of the lesser charge of misdemeanor false imprisonment by judge on Wednesday.

Prosecutors say she and the boy's father, Alex Shadlow, locked the boy in the basement of their Ackley home for at least nine hours a day in the summer of 2017.

The boy told authorities he had to sleep on concrete and to pee on the floor where he slept.

But Hardin County District Court records show that Judge James Ellefson didn't find that Tyler meant to inflict serious injury on the boy, a key component for a kidnapping conviction.

Her sentencing is scheduled for April 26 and she faces up to a year in jail.

Ellefson oversaw Tyler's nonjury trial in Eldora. Shadlow's trial is set to begin September 30.

[...]

Iowa woman convicted of lesser charge after 'locking her boyfriend's son in a basement' | Daily Mail Online

An Iowa woman who locked her boyfriend's eight-year-old son in a tiny room under basement stairs has been spared a kidnapping charge.

Traci Tyler, 40, was found guilty of the lesser charge of misdemeanor false imprisonment by judge on Wednesday.

Prosecutors say she and the boy's father, Alex Shadlow, locked the boy in the basement of their Ackley home for at least nine hours a day in the summer of 2017.

The boy told authorities he had to sleep on concrete and to pee on the floor where he slept.

But Hardin County District Court records show that Judge James Ellefson didn't find that Tyler meant to inflict serious injury on the boy, a key component for a kidnapping conviction.

Her sentencing is scheduled for April 26 and she faces up to a year in jail.

Ellefson oversaw Tyler's nonjury trial in Eldora. Shadlow's trial is set to begin September 30.

[...]

What about child abuse? Neglect? Outrageous. Doesn't surprise me though, our society has degenerated to the point that people don't even acknowledge this as criminal activity. I am sure she was locking him up for his own safety. Where is the "puke" emoji?

animated-smileys-sick-134.gif

How can that boy ever trust the system again, with these adults just getting wrist-slapped?
What'll happen to him now?

Nice, the child is too traumatized by the abuse to testify in court, the therapist would prefer CCTV.

But, that denies the rights of the accused to face their accuser in open court. The Father of the child states.

Apparently, the Father has been allowed visits with his son, who is in foster care.

My take on this, is that the kid thinks that he will end up with the Father anyway, and doesn't want to antagonize him further, for fear of more abuse. The Father has probably done the classic abuser manipulation.

These kids are smart, even by age 9, they know how the system works. He knows he will be back. And he is probably right.

How can that boy ever trust the system again, with these adults just getting wrist-slapped?
What'll happen to him now?

The kid already knew what would happen, and sadly, I am quoting myself even before the trial, I knew what would happen too.

This is why I could never work in Child Protection. The system is rigged away from the rights of children. The system protects criminals. I have seen it over and over.

for Shadlow:

EXHIBIT ELLEFSON JAMES C 04/19/2019 04/19/2019 04/19/2019
Comments: 103
Comments: 102
Comments: 101

ORDER SETTING HEARING ELLEFSON JAMES C 04/19/2019 04/19/2019 04/19/2019
Comments: HEARING SET FOR 4/26/19 @ 10:00 A.M.
FAXED TO HC JAIL 4/19/19
ADDITIONAL MINUTES OF TESTIMONY BULLER TYLER 04/19/2019 04/19/2019 04/19/2019
MOTION TO AMEND TRIAL INFO BULLER TYLER 04/19/2019 04/19/2019 04/19/2019
AMENDED TRIAL INFORMATION ELLEFSON JAMES C 04/19/2019 04/19/2019 04/19/2019

OTHER EVENT SANDY JOHN LAWRENCE 04/18/2019 04/18/2019 04/18/2019
Comments: WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL
OTHER EVENT SANDY JOHN LAWRENCE 04/18/2019 04/18/2019 04/18/2019
Comments: DEMAND FOR SPEEDY TRIAL

OTHER ORDER ELLEFSON JAMES C 04/12/2019 04/12/2019 04/12/2019
Comments: ORDER APPROVE EXPENSE VOUCHER FOR EXPERT WITNESS

OTHER APPLICATION SANDY JOHN LAWRENCE 04/08/2019 04/08/2019
04/08/2019
Comments: FOR STATE EXPENSE VOUCHER FOR EXPERT WITNESS

APPEARANCE OLSON NICOLE LEE 04/02/2019 04/02/2019 04/02/2019
Comments: APPEARANCE BY AAG NICOLE LEONARD

In the above that I just posted - I noticed he waived jury trial. Does that mean he wants the Judge to make the decision?

TIA!

In the above that I just posted - I noticed he waived jury trial. Does that mean he wants the Judge to make the decision?

TIA!

The Ackley father accused of locking his son behind basement steps wants only a judge to rule in his case.

Iowa man accused of locking son in basement requests bench trial

His Fiancée, 40-year-old Traci Tyler, faces up to a year in jail on her conviction for false imprisionment. Her sentencing is later this month.

Friday, April 26th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 2pm CT) – IA – E.S. (boy, 8/9 yrs) (July 17, 2018, Ackley) – only for *Traci Lynn Tyler (39) arrested & charged (7/17/18) with 1st degree kidnapping & torture. Plead not guilty. $500K cash only bond.
Hardin County moved to Cerro Gordo County
Trial started 2/5/19. If convicted of first-degree kidnapping, a class A felony, Tyler would face a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. She declined a discussed deal from prosecutors in which she would have pleaded guilty to child endangerment and third-degree kidnapping, which would have carried a 50-year sentence.

Reference Trial days 1 thru 5 - see post #85 - here: IA - Ackley couple arrested for locking 9 year old child under stairs & deprived food, July 2018
2/13/19 Day 6: Closing arguments. She waived her right to a jury trial, instead allowing District Court Judge James Ellefson to deliver a verdict. Judge Ellefson took the case under advisement at the close of Wednesday’s proceedings and allowed the parties until Feb. 27 to file briefs and further written arguments. He will issue a ruling at a later date. The defense waived a reading of the verdict in court.
4/5/19 Update: Pros & defense attys have submitted written version of their closing arguments @ the end of Feb. Judge still reviewing. No verdict yet.

4/10/19 Update: Tyler was found guilty of false imprisonment, and not the first or third degree kidnapping charges. Sentencing on 4/26. Bond was reduced to $1500. Cash bond posted on 4/10/19.

ALSO:
*Motions Hearing (@ 10am CT) - *Alex Craig Shadlow (30) “dad” arrested & charged (7/17/18) with 1st degree kidnapping & torture. Plead not guilty. $500K cash only or surety bond.
Hardin County moved to Dickson County
Bench trial starts 9/30
Court hearings from 7/30/18 thru 3/8/19 reference post #96 here:
IA - Ackley couple arrested for locking 9 year old child under stairs & deprived food, July 2018
3/12/19 Update: Next Scheduling Conference hearing on 3/15.
3/15/19 Update: Trial has been set for 9/30, final pretrial hearing on 9/27.

4/18/19 Update: Demand for speedy trial & waives jury trial. 4/19/19: Motion to amend trial info on 4/26.
Arrest affidavit says abuse occurred from July-Sept., 2017; was locked in 6’x6’ area under stairs & deprived of food & bathroom for 9 hrs a day where he slept on concrete with no bedding (pillow or blanket). Tyler urged her dog to attack the boy, which left scars on his back & limbs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back