KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 Apr 2014

Nelson County Coroner Field Houghlin talks about how they died. It's very interesting.

Disappearance of Crystal Rogers Bonus 105: Field Houghlin

I can´t watch the video from outside USA. Can someone make a good summary of it? Thanks.

Thanks for chiming in and I hope you’re well! I promise to be the first to let you know if and when any new info is made available to us!

Have you made any progress in the case that is near and dear to your heart?!

Nothing, sorry.

I can´t watch the video from outside USA. Can someone make a good summary of it? Thanks.

Nothing, sorry.

Basically:

Mr Houghlin is a funeral home owner/director/embalmer, and is also the Nelson County coroner.

Mom was shot multiple times. Samantha was bludgeoned with some type of object on/about the head. Both victims throats were slit. There was no evidence of sexual assault to either victim. Mr Houghlin adds that he heard there was no forced entry to the home.

I would guess caregivers and medical folks were in and out of the house while the family cared for the father during his terminal illness. I hope they have identified and interviewed those agencies.

I’m not sure. I do know that Kathy cared for him that summer he passed away but idk if he had hospice or anyone else in and out. That’s a really interesting point.

I’m not sure. I do know that Kathy cared for him that summer he passed away but idk if he had hospice or anyone else in and out. That’s a really interesting point.
I have often wondered if these murders were committed by someone looking for opioids. Although it has been decades since I experienced the loss of someone at home who was in hospice care (thankfully) I recall that when the coroner came, all pain medication was accounted for and confiscated. I have no idea what the protocol is now but would assume it’s even more stringent. I can’t explain the trauma and torture these ladies endured without thinking it must be drug related.
@jULIA_bEE what do you make of the other man who suffered a similar torture years before as revealed in the oxygen bonus? Mr. Duckett I believe. Tied to a chair in his bathroom and tortured. IMO perhaps that perp was also looking for drugs. TIA.

I believe the best of most agencies, but they may have had a bad seed that was later fired, or there was an unsavory character that lived with an unsuspecting caregiver, or had acquired a key at some point. Yes, opioid abuse has lead even good people to very dark places.

Also, it’s been said that Samantha bore the most brutal wounds, and was maybe the target. I tend to think that the killers were using Samantha’s pain to elicit something from Kathy. Of course, we know so little about the scene, so I’m simply tossing ideas around.

Last edited:
I have often wondered if these murders were committed by someone looking for opioids. Although it has been decades since I experienced the loss of someone at home who was in hospice care (thankfully) I recall that when the coroner came, all pain medication was accounted for and confiscated. I have no idea what the protocol is now but would assume it’s even more stringent. I can’t explain the trauma and torture these ladies endured without thinking it must be drug related.
@jULIA_bEE what do you make of the other man who suffered a similar torture years before as revealed in the oxygen bonus? Mr. Duckett I believe. Tied to a chair in his bathroom and tortured. IMO perhaps that perp was also looking for drugs. TIA.

I still think the Netherland's were completely separate from the incidents in the county, prior or since. I forgot all about Jim Duckett. He was actually living in Shelby Co at the time, which is about the same size as Nelson Co. and right outside of Louisville. They just recently came up on his 10 year anniversary and his sister still thinks it was some type of revenge, but I agree, I think it could have easily had to have been drug related. The Netherland's are the saddest to me because I really don't understand why anyone felt the need to brutally murder a mother and daughter. From all outside appearances, they seemed like a pretty quiet family and seemingly normal. I don't get it...

I believe the best of most agencies, but they may have had a bad seed that was later fired, or there was an unsavory character that lived with an unsuspecting caregiver, or had acquired a key at some point. Yes, opioid abuse has lead even good people to very dark places.

Also, it’s been said that Samantha bore the most brutal wounds, and was maybe the target. I tend to think that the killers were using Samantha’s pain to elicit something from Kathy. Of course, we know so little about the scene, so I’m simply tossing ideas around.

Opioid abuse is especially bad in this state. After reading a ton of articles and comments in the past few years, I don't think anyone had ever brought up what you brought up. It's refreshing to see something that hasn't been thought of yet.

I just read this article again. Two paragraphs in it REALLY stand out to me. Due to TOS, I will leave it at that.

I think I know what you’re referring to...i read something that stood out to me too. It was the part about KSP telling the family something different than what was reported on the oxygen series.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back