CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

We can only hope.
Do you think Ben would have stayed at NR?
It is my opinion (as all posts are) he would have moved on.

Looking through his work history on FB, his jobs over the years have been short term. From a few months to a couple years. I don't know if this is common for people working on ranches but I would say no he didn't plan on staying long.. MOO

I don't think he intended to stay overly long. He strikes me as fairly ethical so I would suggest he would have stayed past calving.
I think he would have stayed for calving, for sure.
Looking through his work history on FB, his jobs over the years have been short term. From a few months to a couple years. I don't know if this is common for people working on ranches but I would say no he didn't plan on staying long.. MOO

At times, a person is hired as a turn around manager, idk if Ben was hired on a short term basis, or not, but Imo, he was hired for a specific purpose.

VCR500529875.jpg

3/19/19

SURREY, B.C. — The case of a rancher who has been missing in B.C. since January is being treated as a suspicious disappearance.

The sudden disappearance of 32-year-old Ben Tyner near Merritt has switched from a missing person case to a criminal investigation.

RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says she can’t share why, but police now believe the manager of the Nicola Ranch could have been a targeted victim.

“After having taken a good look at all the pieces of the puzzle — two months of investigation — pieces are not quite fitting where they should fit.”
[...]
Shoihet says early on, investigators requested assistance from major crime detectives, but until this week police had said their was no indication of foul play.
[...]
Before they left for their home in Wyoming in mid-February, Tyner’s family renewed their plea for any tips that might help the police investigation into his disappearance.

ETA: Hoping his family and friends get answers sooner than later, and BT body recovered.

‘We’re coming for you’: Search on for ‘true American cowboy’ missing in B.C. backcountry

1/31/19

Ben Tyner, who was raised in Wyoming, had taken on a new job about three months ago as ranch manager in Merritt, B.C. He was last seen Saturday afternoon [Jan 26]. He may have ridden into the backcountry along an area called Swakum Ridge.

Kim Robinson, a local tracker and hunting guide, said he found the riderless, saddled horse Monday morning. It was missing a rein but otherwise had “good rigging” on it. The horse was a bit spooked but he managed to calm it down and tie it to a tree. He then went and fetched other local ranchers who later brought it back to town and confirmed it belonged to Tyner.

The weather Wednesday was said to be partly cloudy with a high of 2C and overnight lows of -3C.
[...]
The Nicola Valley Search and Rescue team was leading the operation, which included teams from other parts of B.C., ranchers on horseback, search dogs and drones.

Tyner’s parents, Richard and Jennifer Tyner, and younger brother, Jack, travelled to Merritt from Wyoming to take part in the search.
[...]
The officer manager at Nicola Ranch told Postmedia News it was “totally out of character” for Tyner to leave the ranch without notifying someone.

“None of this is adding up, it’s a flipping mystery,” Tammy Straya said. ...

Straya added that Tyner’s horse returned in good condition with nothing to indicate that it had been attacked.

“Something might have scared it, but there’s no blood, no spur marks, no scratches. It’s his horse, and it’s a gentle horse,” Straya said.

According to Tyner’s Facebook page, his career has taken him to ranches all over the world — from Russia to Idaho. Instagram posts in recent months featured some of his leather work, including custom shotgun leggings made from water buffaflo hide, and a 10-foot bullwhip.
[...]
“He’s a very fine young man, quiet and reserved, very mannerly. A little shy … but takes real pride in what he does.”

DeBerard said Tyner never hesitated to lend a helping hand to neighbours back home.

“Anytime you needed Ben to gather cows, or brand cows, or if you needed him with a horse trailer, he’d drop whatever he was doing to help somebody — a solid, strong guy.” bbm

ETA: reportedly, BT truck and trailer were found at home.

Search resumes for missing Merritt cowboy Ben Tyner

4/10/19

The search for a missing cowboy near Merritt, B.C., has resumed.

Now that the snow in the area has melted, crews are back out looking for clues into the disappearance of Ben Tyner.

The 32-year-old ranch manager was reported missing in January when his riderless horse was discovered on a logging road off Highway 97 [near Winnie Flats in Merritt]. bbm

ETA: BT's parent's returned to Wyoming taking their son's horse and dogs with them. RCMP states BT's disappearance is suspicious, and foul play suspected, but community should not feel at risk.

I believe those words are very telling, and I think searches will now be closer to the ranch. MOO

Last edited:
I believe those words are very telling, and I think searches will now be closer to the ranch. MOO

Exactly. There is no ‘whodunit’ here, imo.
Just my opinion of course.
As we all know, an arrest can come at any moment. Because no one is yet in custody does not mean someone is not under constant surveillance.
The less info released by LE = less they need, because they have their guy/s, is what I think.
Moo

Last edited:
Exactly. There is no ‘whodunit’ here, imo.
Just my opinion of course.
As we all know, an arrest can come at any moment. Because no one is not yet in custody does not mean someone is not under constant surveillance.
The less info released by LE = less they need, because they have their guy/s.
Moo
I agree, I think the focus now is finding Ben.. Maybe they got the tips they needed. MOO

I agree, I think the focus now is finding Ben.. Maybe they got the tips they needed. MOO

Ita. Obviously evidence/tips led LE straight back to NR, road blocks, dive teams, dogs accompanying them.
We don’t know what they found on day one (Monday) after arriving at NR. Again, they could not assume Ben was in the bush. They could & did search, hoping he would be found, in the Swakum area. Police had to start questioning employees, checking Ben’s house/vehicle, his phone, etc., right away. Again, think of a Gunny as a car. What happens when a vehicle is found where it should not be?
Interviews with family/friends/acquaintances, when/where was car owner last seen......what was going on in his life, known enemies, reasons to be “targeted”, and so forth.
Moo

Crime labs are notoriously slow, as we know. Not faulting them, they simply have too much work, as a result of never ending crime.
As we approach 3 months since Ben was killed, imo tech data, forensics, interviews, search warrant execution, & endless hours viewing video/dash cam footage is nearing completion. I hope the tip line was conducive. In my area, a tip line is established if LE believe some ‘in the know’ feel the need to remain confidential. I fully understand anyone afraid for their life, if they have info to bring a man down for murder. All MOO

Agree, I am with you and also curious about who told rcmp he was looking for strays at 2pm and where he was Saturday night..

Do you have a theory as to where Ben was killed?

I think you would go back to where he was known to be last. (which we don't know as LE didn't share that).. I feel he was probably at home..MOO

Moo his last known location was home. Since LE knows where he was Saturday evening, even If he went out for dinner or drinks, they seem unconcerned about Saturday.
The request for dash cam might include narrowing down Ben’s travel, especially if he had a date, or was at a house in town. If someone told LE “he was with me from 6-11:30”, they’d have no proof, but video could show him passing thru Merritt, confirming his whereabouts. Jmo

I am always checking back with hope of something breaking in this case. I now believe Ben is gone, its been too long. I hung onto hope for a long time. His poor family the hurt must be so raw. Now I just want justice for Ben and him to be found so he can be sent home and laid to rest properly. Why? just why? IMHO

I am always checking back with hope of something breaking in this case. I now believe Ben is gone, its been too long. I hung onto hope for a long time. His poor family the hurt must be so raw. Now I just want justice for Ben and him to be found so he can be sent home and laid to rest properly. Why? just why? IMHO

I know. He needs to be in Wyoming. IMO, the next breaking info will be an arrest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back