CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Exactly. There is no ‘whodunit’ here, imo.
Just my opinion of course.
As we all know, an arrest can come at any moment. Because no one is yet in custody does not mean someone is not under constant surveillance.
The less info released by LE = less they need, because they have their guy/s, is what I think.
Moo

I agree, completely. I've laid low on this thread but I have been sleuthing on my own. I am 1000% convinced LE is fully aware of who and are now trying to find his body. IMHO

I agree, completely. I've laid low on this thread but I have been sleuthing on my own. I am 1000% convinced LE is fully aware of who and are now trying to find his body. IMHO

I can’t add enough 00000s to my conviction.
They can’t wait forever to make an arrest, even with no body.
Do you think Ben will be found?

No, I don't think he will be found. Or if he is, it will be years from now when someone stumbles onto the remains accidentally.

Very sad to see LE searching feed yard/compost areas.
They didn’t throw a dart at a map to select a search site.
IMO, the first dogs at NR (IMO, Monday 01/28) alerted in a few spots that simply could not be searched at that time.

No, I don't think he will be found. Or if he is, it will be years from now when someone stumbles onto the remains accidentally.
I have a sickening feeling that this is most likely the case. Those who may have murdered Ben have gone to great lengths to get away with this crime. Number one important on that list would be to hide or dispose of his body where it would be difficult to recover. IMO

I have a sickening feeling that this is most likely the case. Those who may have murdered Ben have gone to great lengths to get away with this crime. Number one important on that list would be to hide or dispose of his body where it would be difficult to recover. IMO

I fear the murderer has broad knowledge of disposing of deceased animals, applying his know how in concealing (to be tactful) Ben.

In your present theory, there is nothing at all related to anything going on/happening at the NR Ranch. What in the LE investigation has led you to believe everything happened in the backcountry?

This is the basis of my theory:

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance
Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.

As the search continues, Merritt RCMP have narrowed down the timeline of how long he has been out for, but are still trying to determine how Tyner made his way out to where he was riding, and where he was headed.”

As for NR, I’ve not noticed anything indicating it was believed to be a crime scene. A thorough search of the home area of any missing person can also be a matter of investigative routine.

Last edited:
Today was first Holiday without Ben and Holidays are the hardest. I really hope that they will get the answers they need to bring closure soon and I don't believe that will happen until they get justice. MOO

I’m sure every day is hard. Just think, every morning they are probably greeted by Sue (Ben’s house dog), at the barn they see Ben’s horse’s, plus they have his work dog. Constant reminders that Ben is missing. I hope Ben’s dogs & horses bring comfort to them.

This is the basis of my theory:

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance
Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.

As the search continues, Merritt RCMP have narrowed down the timeline of how long he has been out for, but are still trying to determine how Tyner made his way out to where he was riding, and where he was headed.”

As for NR, I’ve not noticed anything indicating it was believed to be a crime scene. A thorough search of the home area of any missing person can also be a matter of investigative routine.

Things have evolved a bit since your Jan 30th article. Perhaps you missed recent articles with police searching other areas at the ranch?

I’m sure every day is hard. Just think, every morning they are probably greeted by Sue (Ben’s house dog), at the barn they see Ben’s horse’s, plus they have his work dog. Constant reminders that Ben is missing. I hope Ben’s dogs & horses bring comfort to them.

There were things right from the beginng that just didn't work as a simple lost in the bush thing and the dogs were one of the very first things that just didn't sit right with me.

The official story was that he was looking for strays and I keep coming back to an old saying, 'one good dog is worth two good cowboys.' In my opinion, if he was going out to try and gather cattle in the bush, those dogs would have been working with him, yet they were at the house.

Things have evolved a bit since your Jan 30th article. Perhaps you missed recent articles with police searching other areas at the ranch?

As LE believe Ben’s disappearance was suspicious, any hope of prosecution in the future requires they conduct a thorough search of the area where he worked and lived. This is standard in any missing persons case. Did it appear to you the results of the search led to a crime scene and if so, why?

What else has evolved that I missed?

The comments after the search concluded didn’t give me a lot of optimism. If the RCMP were certain they knew exactly what occurred there’d be no need to go over other investigative avenues not covered IMO.

Another search could commence in the future, Shoihet added, but it depends on what investigators decide.

“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”...”

Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald

There were things right from the beginng that just didn't work as a simple lost in the bush thing and the dogs were one of the very first things that just didn't sit right with me.

The official story was that he was looking for strays and I keep coming back to an old saying, 'one good dog is worth two good cowboys.' In my opinion, if he was going out to try and gather cattle in the bush, those dogs would have been working with him, yet they were at the house.
Phone, Time of Day, Horse location and Dogs all didn't sit right with me... MOO

As LE believe Ben’s disappearance was suspicious, any hope of prosecution in the future requires they conduct a thorough search of the area where he worked and lived. This is standard in any missing persons case. Did it appear to you the results of the search led to a crime scene and if so, why?

The comments after the search concluded didn’t give me a lot of optimism. If the RCMP were certain they knew exactly what occurred there’d be no need to go over other investigative avenues not covered IMO.

Another search could commence in the future, Shoihet added, but it depends on what investigators decide.

“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”...”

Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald

The comments after the search didn't concern me but police don't often share their findings with the public, except by way of requests for certain things, lest they tip off a suspect.

The comments after the search didn't concern me but police don't often share their findings with the public, except by way of requests for certain things, lest they tip off a suspect.

You’re right they don’t share their findings but anything productive brings other team members on site, creating a bit of excitement for the media. Nothing noted about that. I also thought it disappointing the spokesperson announced they’d be finished the 3rd day, before the 3rd day was even over, not a good sign IMO.

Often, the most important searches are those that the public is not aware of. That way any suspect is sure not to be tipped off. I recall a story about a search in a wilderness area near a river. When LE first parked near the road, to anyone passing by, they appeared to be groups of fisherman and that way they didn’t attract any attention.

JMO

Last edited:
You’re right they don’t share their findings but anything productive brings other team members on site, creating a bit of excitement for the media. Nothing noted about that. I also thought it disappointing the spokesperson announced they’d be finished the 3rd day, before the 3rd day was even over, not a good sign IMO.

Often, the most important searches are those that the public is not aware of.

JMO

Labs take time and I think they're looking for something very specific, besides dashcam video.

Labs take time and I think they're looking for something very specific, besides dashcam video.

Sure, nothing wrong with hoping. What kind of evidence do you think was sent to a lab that would prove valuable?

Sure, nothing wrong with hoping. What kind of evidence do you think was sent to a lab that would prove valuable?

I wouldn't claim to know. I'm a rancher not a forensic expert but it's my understanding that murder cases are generally built on forensic evidence.

I wouldn't claim to know. I'm a rancher not a forensic expert but it's my understanding that murder cases are generally built on forensic evidence.

Yes that’s true. I’d have been delighted had a forensics team set up camp but nobody reported them arriving. And it would’ve been reported I think because it’s the indication a search was successful. It seemed the officers, the dogs, the helicopter were all out there looking but then the search was soon over.

Merritt Herald Facebook - This week’s search of Nicola Ranch uncovered no answers to the mystery of Merritt’s missing cowboy.
Merritt Herald

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998