OH OH - Tyler Davis, 29, Columbus, 24 February 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
How decomposed would a body be at this point though? To even have to test to confirm human remains seems like they would need to be deceased much longer?
If a body was not immersed in water at this time the body would be in what is known as the “dry stage” of decomp. The final stage of decomposition results in the remains consisting primarily of bones, some dried skin, and cartilage. There is also little odor of decay at this point for a human nose, but enough a cadaver dog could easily detect it.

If the body is in water or a very moist environment it may be preserved longer due to the formation of adipocere (corpse wax or grave wax), Adipocere is a grey or light brown waxy material primarily composed of saturated fatty acids, typically formed within approximately one month of death (but has been known to form within up to 6 months). Once formed, this insoluble, waxy material can remain for decades before breaking down.

Whoa. Never even considered that.

But you don't get life insurance if someone just goes missing right? He would have to be found dead, or I think at least 7 years before "declared" dead. So if life insurance is the motive, you obviously would want him somewhere that he can be found without it being too obvious. if the last place he was said to be is the woods, it would make sense for him to be found in the woods if it was "accidental" and neither BD or the friend were involved...

But you don't get life insurance if someone just goes missing right? He would have to be found dead, or I think at least 7 years before "declared" dead. So if life insurance is the motive, you obviously would want him somewhere that he can be found without it being too obvious. if the last place he was said to be is the woods, it would make sense for him to be found in the woods if it was "accidental" and neither BD or the friend were involved...
Great point!

People are different as to how they handle a crisis of this magnitude. Some people are naturally shy and are not easily led to make public pleas. Some people are more outgoing and will make noise until everyone is listening. I'm not inclined to judge Brittany on her silence early on and her more active in involvement now.

What is clear is that this was a night of bar hopping and heavy drinking etc, and all three together that night were probably pretty wasted. Brittany gets selectively vague when recounting the last 90 minutes that Tyler was in contact with them. I see this potentially as not wanting to disclose all details of that time, possibly for fear of being judged (ie the judgement of her for going to the strip club, which was not immediately revealed). Fighting, drug use, jealousy, or something else that casts her in a potentially bad light? If Brittany had nothing to do with Tyler's disappearance, but she disclosed they had a nasty fight that night; this would immediately have social media painting her as the obvious murderer...

Not everything in Brittany's story adds up but I see no reason to suspect her or the friend in premeditated murder. The police will certainly have verified the many details in her story- cell calls, location services, times, bar tabs, Uber driver etc.

Thoughts-

It is unlikely that they/he would choose to commit murder in the vicinity of the Hilton, when Tyler is vulnerable and an easier target coming home alone at night from work.
I don't see a motive in eliminating Tyler.
I don't see evidence of an extramarital interest for Brittany.
The friend is Tyler's good friend as well as Brittany's.
There is no body found that implicates foul play.

I can't make enough assumptions to come remotely close to implicating Brittany in Tyler's disappearance. And I see no reason that Tyler's friend would be involved in premeditated murder, or get angry enough for a spontaneous murder.

Random mugging and effective disposal of body- extremely rare.
Drug deal gone bad and disposal of body- no evidence suggesting a drug deal.
Hypothermia/accident and death, body not found. Decent chance, I haven't had reason to believe LE has conducted a fool proof search of the area.
Overdose- no evidence that Tyler was taking hard drugs and it is insulting to insinuate this. Sorry, but I will say it is a possibility and may be part of Brittany's vagueness of that time of night. An OD victim is unlikely to be well hidden though; so his body would have to have been removed by someone that had an interest not to be implicated.

But then again, this case is so strange that we will probably find that it is something else entirely...

I feel like most of the missing person cases in my area end up being drug related. Most bodies found are overdoses. It seems like both the wife and friend would have a lot to lose if implicated with drugs. It might have been easier to make him disappear and push the investigation towards him being taken

I’m currently parked across the street from the Hilton waiting to go into an appointment. Driving by the wooded area between the Hilton and 270, I had such an urge to walk through that wooded area. There’s a small pond in there, too. I would never do so alone, of course. With the spring growth coming in, it looks like it would be easy for a body to go unseen, but not in the winter...as long as there was a thorough search.
(Nothing helpful, just thinking a lot about Tyler as I sit here.)

On the 2nd episode on TCG, around 14 minutes the captain asks BD about seeing the friend on video footage from the hotel that they originally thought may be Tyler. All of a sudden she isn't sure how that is if the friend was with her. maybe I misunderstood, but did this raise questions for anyone else?

On the 2nd episode on TCG, around 14 minutes the captain asks BD about seeing the friend on video footage from the hotel that they originally thought may be Tyler. All of a sudden she isn't sure how that is if the friend was with her. maybe I misunderstood, but did this raise questions for anyone else?
Yes. She says they walked out to look for Tyler (after he called to say he was coming back to the hotel) and said they separated to find him and that's why only the friend was caught on camera. I had to listen to that part 3 times before I understand it.

Yes. She says they walked out to look for Tyler (after he called to say he was coming back to the hotel) and said they separated to find him and that's why only the friend was caught on camera. I had to listen to that part 3 times before I understand it.

surely this huge hotel has more than one camera though, right? And based on pictures, were they directly in front of the entrance when the friend was on camera? or were they at the side passed the sports bar? or on the opposite side where that building seems to attach?? im not familiar with the area at all so im confused as to where this whole thing started.

People are different as to how they handle a crisis of this magnitude. Some people are naturally shy and are not easily led to make public pleas. Some people are more outgoing and will make noise until everyone is listening. I'm not inclined to judge Brittany on her silence early on and her more active in involvement now.

What is clear is that this was a night of bar hopping and heavy drinking etc, and all three together that night were probably pretty wasted. Brittany gets selectively vague when recounting the last 90 minutes that Tyler was in contact with them. I see this potentially as not wanting to disclose all details of that time, possibly for fear of being judged (ie the judgement of her for going to the strip club, which was not immediately revealed). Fighting, drug use, jealousy, or something else that casts her in a potentially bad light? If Brittany had nothing to do with Tyler's disappearance, but she disclosed they had a nasty fight that night; this would immediately have social media painting her as the obvious murderer...

Not everything in Brittany's story adds up but I see no reason to suspect her or the friend in premeditated murder. The police will certainly have verified the many details in her story- cell calls, location services, times, bar tabs, Uber driver etc.

Thoughts-

It is unlikely that they/he would choose to commit murder in the vicinity of the Hilton, when Tyler is vulnerable and an easier target coming home alone at night from work.

I can't make enough assumptions to come remotely close to implicating Brittany in Tyler's disappearance. And I see no reason that Tyler's friend would be involved in premeditated murder, or get angry enough for a spontaneous murder.

Hypothermia/accident and death, body not found. Decent chance, I haven't had reason to believe LE has conducted a fool proof search of the area.
Overdose- no evidence that Tyler was taking hard drugs and it is insulting to insinuate this. Sorry, but I will say it is a possibility and may be part of Brittany's vagueness of that time of night. An OD victim is unlikely to be well hidden though; so his body would have to have been removed by someone that had an interest not to be implicated.

But then again, this case is so strange that we will probably find that it is something else entirely...

I agree with you that this case is probably totally different than what we’ve all been told. I wouldn’t go as far as saying BD or the friend did it for sure, but suspects, yes. Anyone with him at the time of his disappearance would be. There’s a lot of weirdness about the stories that you could maybe say ‘people are different’ or ‘deal with stuff different’ about once or twice, but this much?? It’s definitely a possibility they aren’t involved in any way, but it’s definitely a possibility that they are. That could be as little as lying about what actually transpired that night, arguments that were had, drugs that were taken or sold, or as big as being involved in his premeditated or accidental death.

If I’ve learned anything following Websleuths and in my career it’s that people kill people for the most stupid or small reasons. And angry or drunk people do dumb things not realizing someone could die. I can speculate on many reasons that having him out of the picture would benefit her. Perhaps it is about life insurance (which I doubt since it’s such a long game), but my guess would be if she was involved, it’s about custody and Tyler or her wanting to leave the relationship in some way. Statistically, partner death cases stem from financial trouble, custody issues, someone wanting to leave the partnership, or cheating.

Other posters have commented how there’s little about each other on their FB pages, and how BD called herself a single mom. No support publicly for BD from Tyler’s family or an appeal to find him makes me think they don’t believe he will be found alive and that they might suspect or not like her. It was also mentioned somewhere in this thread that his parents had hired a PI. Why do that if you don’t suspect something is not right with the story?

Perhaps they weren’t getting along so great. Maybe the weekend was an attempt to rekindle and it wasn’t working? Whose to say BD wasn’t afraid because Tyler had threatened he would fight her on custody or knew something that would make that easy for him, so she decided to make sure that didn’t happen? Or that BD decided she wasn’t happy and wanted to leave him but was afraid of a custody battle? We have no proof from cameras (by her own admission) that BD was at the hotel, maybe they were talking about it and something happened accidentally that resulted in Tyler’s death which BD decided was best to cover up? Or maybe the friend tried to talk Tyler down after an altercation with BD about their relationship and the friend and Tyler drunkenly fought resulting in an accident that was covered up? All plausible and statistically sound options in the death of a partner.

There’s a million things that could have happened. In my opinion, there is something she, the friend, or both of them, know that was a contributing factor to his disappearance. Now wether that’s as malicious as them being involved, or just an omission of a fact they are afraid to put out there, we're just gonna have to wait and see on that one.

I agree with you that this case is probably totally different than what we’ve all been told. I wouldn’t go as far as saying BD or the friend did it for sure, but suspects, yes. Anyone with him at the time of his disappearance would be. There’s a lot of weirdness about the stories that you could maybe say ‘people are different’ or ‘deal with stuff different’ about once or twice, but this much?? It’s definitely a possibility they aren’t involved in any way, but it’s definitely a possibility that they are. That could be as little as lying about what actually transpired that night, arguments that were had, drugs that were taken or sold, or as big as being involved in his premeditated or accidental death.

If I’ve learned anything following Websleuths and in my career it’s that people kill people for the most stupid or small reasons. And angry or drunk people do dumb things not realizing someone could die. I can speculate on many reasons that having him out of the picture would benefit her. Perhaps it is about life insurance (which I doubt since it’s such a long game), but my guess would be if she was involved, it’s about custody and Tyler or her wanting to leave the relationship in some way. Statistically, partner death cases stem from financial trouble, custody issues, someone wanting to leave the partnership, or cheating.

Other posters have commented how there’s little about each other on their FB pages, and how BD called herself a single mom. No support publicly for BD from Tyler’s family or an appeal to find him makes me think they don’t believe he will be found alive and that they might suspect or not like her. It was also mentioned somewhere in this thread that his parents had hired a PI. Why do that if you don’t suspect something is not right with the story?

Perhaps they weren’t getting along so great. Maybe the weekend was an attempt to rekindle and it wasn’t working? Whose to say BD wasn’t afraid because Tyler had threatened he would fight her on custody or knew something that would make that easy for him, so she decided to make sure that didn’t happen? Or that BD decided she wasn’t happy and wanted to leave him but was afraid of a custody battle? We have no proof from cameras (by her own admission) that BD was at the hotel, maybe they were talking about it and something happened accidentally that resulted in Tyler’s death which BD decided was best to cover up? Or maybe the friend tried to talk Tyler down after an altercation with BD about their relationship and the friend and Tyler drunkenly fought resulting in an accident that was covered up? All plausible and statistically sound options in the death of a partner.

There’s a million things that could have happened. In my opinion, there is something she, the friend, or both of them, know that was a contributing factor to his disappearance. Now wether that’s as malicious as them being involved, or just an omission of a fact they are afraid to put out there, we're just gonna have to wait and see on that one.

Nice post.

Lots of possibilities and not enough information to go down any one path IMO.

Tyler's case is very interesting in a very unfortunate way.

RBBM
Love this post. Excellent summary and analysis of the situation. (I totally agree.)

surely this huge hotel has more than one camera though, right? And based on pictures, were they directly in front of the entrance when the friend was on camera? or were they at the side passed the sports bar? or on the opposite side where that building seems to attach?? im not familiar with the area at all so im confused as to where this whole thing started.
From my understanding, it was a camera at the shopping center. I will have to listen one more time to be sure. I've read here that there are 300 cameras.
She is really unclear about the hotel lobby cam capturing their comings of goings for the night.
I keep reading that they were standing next to the side entrance.
I keep checking 2 things.
1. For info on the body found yesterday in Pike Co.
2. To see if Tyler's picture is still on the missing page on the OH AG website.

Last edited:

I almost tend to think it's something like, the altercation lead to a shove or punch where he hit his head. Started bleeding, they got scared.
I don't think this was anything premeditated.
Unless of course we are going with the serial killer lurking around Easton at 4 am in 29° weather for a man walking alone in a location where he wouldn't be caught being abducted theory.

• People are different as to how they handle a crisis of this magnitude. Some people are naturally shy and are not easily led to make public pleas. Some people are more outgoing and will make noise until everyone is listening. I'm not inclined to judge Brittany on her silence early on and her more active in involvement no

Thoughts-

Who picked Easton for the getaway? There were a lot of caneras out because of construction...someone who was familiar with the area would have known...espically a tecky...
She made a point of saying no one knew where they were going, but the friend and other friends that did not show would have known...so why stress that no one knew?
The post is correct that bodies don’t disappear. There must be a reason that there haven’t been active PD searches in the area...like is it known he is not there?
And finally if someone was to leave a message about not giving up would that speak to the other persons mindset?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member