Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
College coaches indicted in admissions bribery case

Boston – College coaches and others have been charged in a sweeping admissions bribery case unsealed in federal court.

The racketeering conspiracy charges unveiled Tuesday were brought against the coaches at schools including Wake Forest University, Georgetown and the University of Southern California.

Authorities say the coaches accepted bribes in exchange for admitting students as athletes, regardless of their ability...

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawyers for Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, filed new court documents on Monday, asking the court to suspend all motions by the government until their scheduled hearing on June 3.

According to the documents, Loughlin and Giannulli -- along with 15 other defendants -- have not received any evidence in their case and have been told by the government that it is "extremely voluminous." The defendants would like an opportunity to review the evidence before any motions are filed in court.

Lori Loughlin and Husband Ask Courts to Turn Over All Evidence

And they were too slothful or unmotivated to even do it for themselves, but had to pay others to do it for them
Did Olivia Jade ever take an SAT on her own? I guess we don't know. If not, she knew perfectly well it had been done for her. I'm beginning to change my mind about whether some of these kids should also be charged.

Did Olivia Jade ever take an SAT on her own? I guess we don't know. If not, she knew perfectly well it had been done for her. I'm beginning to change my mind about whether some of these kids should also be charged.

We might never know for sure, but judging from some of the comments by alleged schoolmates in high school, it's doubtful she even took any high school exams.

My guess is that if the "crew team" bit failed, the next thing Lori & Mossimo would do is go the fraulent SAT route.

The interesting thing is that all these families are depriving their children of a hugely valuable skill in life, no matter what your financial status.

Perseverance in the face of failure.

The "helicopter parent" attempt to assure overwhelming success for their offspring by continually greasing the wheels of their tasks in maturing. Yet, one of the most important skills, in my opinion, is having to deal with failure and having to apply yourself to something you truly do want.

In my life and the lives of friends of mine, huge initial "failures" or "disappointments" have resulted in taking a different route that requires personal fortitude and discipline and being open to new avenues. I thought I was going to get a position in my job because I was the obvious successor, but I didn't. I left the company basically because my feelings were so hurt, but I realized a different route to accomplish a similar goal. It required risk on my part, and I did not do it perfectly. I had to learn many things along the way because I didn't have mentors, or a trust fund, or anything backing me up. I ended up doing something that no one in my family thought I could do, and I earned my own self-respect for it.

I don't know if the OJ stories are at all true, but if she really wants to continue on her career as a successful vlogger, whatever that really entails, I do hope she will learn some personal resources and persevere for her goal. Not her parent's goal, but her goal. And I hope it earns her self-respect

This is my question - is cheating on the SAT illegal?

I know it will get you disqualified on your college app, but is it a crime?

Not rhetorical question - I really don't know and am asking.

I know bribery is a crime, but the kids weren't the ones making a bribe.

jmo

I have always thought they should be charged for something. Just not sure what it would be? Is there a statute for this?

We might never know for sure, but judging from some of the comments by alleged schoolmates in high school, it's doubtful she even took any high school exams.

My guess is that if the "crew team" bit failed, the next thing Lori & Mossimo would do is go the fraulent SAT route.

Since Olivia was found living it up on Rick Caruso's yacht in the Bahamas, (he's Chairman of USC's Board of Directors}, I wonder if was a "friend" before or after she started at USC and if he had any influence in both sisters getting admitted to USC.

I actually didn't realize that the first time I had read the complaint, but that's exactly what Singer had done. Created his own testing centers. That's why it was so easy to have hired proctors give the students answers or just change answers after. For some reason, I thought they had managed to get an inside person to do these things. I hadn't even realized the whole testing center itself was an inside thing!

Yes, he had his own testing enters in the Los Angeles, CA and Houston, TX area.

Here's how the college admissions scam allegedly worked

Igor Dvorskiy, who administered SAT and ACT tests in Los Angeles, and Lisa "Niki" Williams, who administered the tests at a public high school in Houston, are both accused of accepting bribes to allow Riddell to take the tests.

I have always thought they should be charged for something. Just not sure what it would be? Is there a statute for this?

Most of the kids taking the SAT/ACT or applying to college were under 18 years old.

Laura Janke, a former assistant coach at USC who allegedly helped facilitate Lori Loughlin‘s daughter’s entry into college has agreed to plead guilty. If Janke is found guilty, she faces a maximum prison sentence of 20 years, three years of supervised release, a hefty fine, and restitution.

Janke allegedly received an email from Singer in July 2017 asking to create a crew profile for Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli‘s youngest daughter, Olivia Jade. “Ok sounds good,” Janke responded. “Please send me the pertinent information and I will get started.”

Coach to Plead Guilty for Helping Lori Loughlin's Daughter Olivia Jade Pretend She Was on Rowing Team

Gotta wonder who these 4 students are...... maybe more indictments to come since Janke is pleading guilty and cooperating?

"In addition, prosecutors said Janke and Ali Khosroshahin, the head coach of USC women's soccer, designated four students as recruits to the team to facilitate their entrance even though the students did not play competitive soccer. In exchange, Singer directed payments totaling about $350,000 to a private soccer club controlled by Janke and Khosroshahin, according to the indictment." USC coach who made fake crew profile for Lori Loughlin's daughter agrees to plead guilty

Gotta wonder who these 4 students are...... maybe more indictments to come since Janke is pleading guilty and cooperating?

"In addition, prosecutors said Janke and Ali Khosroshahin, the head coach of USC women's soccer, designated four students as recruits to the team to facilitate their entrance even though the students did not play competitive soccer. In exchange, Singer directed payments totaling about $350,000 to a private soccer club controlled by Janke and Khosroshahin, according to the indictment." USC coach who made fake crew profile for Lori Loughlin's daughter agrees to plead guilty

One is Toby MacFarlane's daughter: MacFarlane’s daughter was included on an email between her father and CW-1 containing a bogus essay about her aggression on the soccer field. After she started school, her academic counselor emailed her about changing her Friday class schedule to accommodate games. She forwarded this email to her dad, asking if she should answer it. MacFarlane’s daughter graduated in 2018 and, despite being admitted as a purported soccer recruit, never played soccer at USC.

more info here: What Every Kid in the College Admissions Scandal Knew About the Scam

Are they going to try to argue that they thought Singer's company was actually benefiting other students?

Wouldn't that make them look incredibly careless with their $500,000? I know I always had to have sound proof of cash charitable donations at my meager level. I have to think a one page note "Thank you for your generous $500,000 donation this year to my charity" is not going to be the least bit credible, especially when the IRS looks at their prior history of charitable donations.

They have what sounds like a very high-level (and therefor very expensive) legal team. I expect an awful lot of improbable bleats of innocence. I guess she's thinking this can be a Hallmark movie about unjustly charged devoted and concerned parents.

Are they going to try to argue that they thought Singer's company was actually benefiting other students?

Wouldn't that make them look incredibly careless with their $500,000? I know I always had to have sound proof of cash charitable donations at my meager level. I have to think a one page note "Thank you for your generous $500,000 donation this year to my charity" is not going to be the least bit credible, especially when the IRS looks at their prior history of charitable donations.

They have what sounds like a very high-level (and therefor very expensive) legal team. I expect an awful lot of improbable bleats of innocence. I guess she's thinking this can be a Hallmark movie about unjustly charged devoted and concerned parents.

Get ready.
It’s a chess move of a Narcissist, IMO
Hey, It was someone else’s fault!
So...
I’m a victim also!

Lol. JMO but hey.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online