KY KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the visual on this cracked me up. I mean you can’t just stick that under your shirt and slip out the door.

Lol no. You definitely can’t. It’d be pretty hard to keep that hidden. I still don’t know exactly how he did it. I don’t know if he had help from someone in the store or if he just loaded it on those cart things and wheeled them out. From what I’ve heard though, he’s on tape.

I'm guessing this is happening today?? Haven't seen any updates since this was announced. :)

Tuesday, April 23rd:
*Trial set to begin (theft charges) – (@ ET) - KY – Crystal M. Rogers (35) (last seen July 3, 2015 – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys (in ignition) & phone inside on Bluegrass Pkwy. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide). *Brooks Houck () named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made.
**Indicted (7/18/18) & charged & arraigned (8/2/18) on 4 felony theft counts of stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April & 4 misdemeanor theft charges. Plead not guilty. $25K full cash bond. He was also given a dusk to dawn curfew, with the only exceptions to be work, medical appointments or family emergencies.
Trial to start on 4/23/19 for theft. Trial moved from Bardstown, Nelson County to Bowling Green, Warren County.

Wednesday, April 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (theft charges) – (@ ET) - KY – Crystal M. Rogers (35) (last seen July 3, 2015 – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys (in ignition) & phone inside on Bluegrass Pkwy. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide). *Brooks Houck () named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made. Nelson County
**Indicted (7/18/18) & charged & arraigned (8/2/18) on 4 felony theft counts of stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April & 4 misdemeanor theft charges. Plead not guilty. $25K full cash bond. He was also given a dusk to dawn curfew, with the only exceptions to be work, medical appointments or family emergencies.
Trial to start on 4/23/19 for theft. Trial moved from Bardstown, Nelson County to Bowling Green, Warren County.
4/23/19: Jury Selection – Judge denies defense motion to sequester jurors. No other info yet. Trial continues on 4/24.

https://www.kystandard.com/content/jury-problems-bring-late-start-houck-theft-trial

Jury problems snarled the Brooks Houck trial even before prosecutors’ opening statements in Bowling Green Tuesday, casting it into “uncharted waters” as one defense attorney termed it.

Following the first break during jury selection, Houck’s sister, Rhonda McIlvoy, approached the court and reported that she had overheard one of the members of the jury pool discussing Houck, who is on trial for four felony counts of theft, and his connection to another suspected crime.
[.....]
After dismissing the woman over her independent research, Seay asked the remaining 29 pool members, as well as several dozen other alternates, whether anyone had discussed the case in the foyer. No one reported an improper discussion.
[.....]
The complication was enough to push the trial onto a late track early in the process, though. It was after 1 p.m. Central time before a jury of 12 members and three alternates were empaneled.

After an hour lunch break and arguments over a pending motion, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Chip McKay did not get started on his opening arguments until after 2 p.m. Central.
[.....]
Prosecutors presented four of 20 potential witnesses over two hours of testimony. Most of the testimony was succinct and the defense had no questions for some of them.

*Trial continues (Day 2) (theft charges) – (@ ET) - KY – Crystal M. Rogers (35) (last seen July 3, 2015 – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys (in ignition) & phone inside on Bluegrass Pkwy. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide). *Brooks Houck () named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made. Nelson County
Trial to start on 4/24/19 for theft. Trial moved from Bardstown, Nelson County to Bowling Green, Warren County. (12 jurors & 3 alternates).
4/24/19 Day 1 of trial: Jury Selection was Day 2 – Judge denies defense motion to sequester jurors. One juror in the pool of 29 was dismissed for looking up the case. It was after 1 p.m. CT before a jury of 12 members & three alternates were empaneled. After an hour lunch break & arguments over a pending motion, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Chip McKay did not get started on his opening arguments until after 2 p.m. Central. State witnesses: Nelson County PVA Barbara Tichenor testified to Houck’s property holdings. Bardstown Police Officer Andrew Riley was the officer who presented the evidence for indictment to a grand jury and testified briefly about receiving the complaint from Lowes’ loss prevention investigators. Two Bardstown Lowe’s managers also testified, one by pre-recorded video deposition because he was unavailable for the court date. Both described Houck as a frequent customer. Trial continues on 4/25.

Anyone know the break down of jurors - women vs men? TIA! :)

Can't access this article - can someone give a 10% synopsis on this please? TIA!
"He was found not guilty on all counts, according to the Warren County Clerk. Houck was facing felony theft charges after police said he stole thousands of dollars’ worth of shingles from Lowes in 2018."
That's all. Basically nothing other than NG. WTH???
JMO, MOO, etc

I haven't read every post on this thread, so not sure if the following items have been mentioned. My apologies if they have:

Houck owns 129 properties and 11 houses.
Source: Jury acquits Brooks Houck of charges that he stole roofing shingles from Lowe's

He apparently still lives at 113 Glenview Dr. The sales history for that property is interesting:
9/1/2005: $142,000 (seems appropriate for the home & area)
9/15/2005: $26,000 (?!?)
8/6/2008: $64,000
3/23/2018: $750,000 (whaaaaat?)

Seems REALLY weird to me, almost like money laundering of some sort.

Source: 113 Glenview Dr, Bardstown, KY 40004 - 3 Bed, 2 Bath Single-Family Home | Trulia

This article highlights some of the employee testimony from the second day. Unfortunately, his atty did a good job of highlighting the incompetency of the system that’s used at Lowe’s. While there’s no doubt in my mind that he took advantage of the situation, it would be hard to prove that he’s also not just an idiot...especially since there’s no audio to the surveillance footage.

https://www.kystandard.com/content/lowes-employees-lead-second-day-testimony-houck-theft-trial

I haven't read every post on this thread, so not sure if the following items have been mentioned. My apologies if they have:

Houck owns 129 properties and 11 houses.
Source: Jury acquits Brooks Houck of charges that he stole roofing shingles from Lowe's

He apparently still lives at 113 Glenview Dr. The sales history for that property is interesting:
9/1/2005: $142,000 (seems appropriate for the home & area)
9/15/2005: $26,000 (?!?)
8/6/2008: $64,000
3/23/2018: $750,000 (whaaaaat?)

Seems REALLY weird to me, almost like money laundering of some sort.

Source: 113 Glenview Dr, Bardstown, KY 40004 - 3 Bed, 2 Bath Single-Family Home | Trulia

Does it list the buyer? Does he just sell it to his company? Idk how any of that works lol.
I wonder if that last one was to help cover legal costs since he had the custody stuff and shoplifting case.

I haven't looked into it and it's completely my own speculation, but it's amazing what a high-priced attorney can do for a guilty client...
JMO, MOO, etc

Oh FOR SURE. There was definitely some fault with Lowe’s and their whole system but I guess there was also enough reasonable doubt that points to Brooks being an idiot lol

Off topic but no other way to share especially with locals. There is another woman who went missing from Bardstown Kentucky last Wednesday. Leah Nora McRay worked at Colton’s steakhouse and she looks similar to CR. Today is Leah’s 42 birthday! She attended a meeting that day and her sister in law says it’s as if she vanished into thin air. Her father reported her missing although it’s unclear whether that was to Bardstown Police or Nelson County. Nelson County did post on Facebook seeking information but also stated that it was not reported to them. Unfortunately her father didn’t feel like they were much help.
Maybe I can get a mod to share this post on the other related Bardstown threads since at this point we have so little to go on.
She does not own a car but had a prepaid cell phone from Walmart that goes directly to voicemail until recent days where it rings a few times only to go to voicemail afterward.
I’m hoping Leah can have a thread devoted to her once we have more information forthcoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member