Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official press release:

City News and Updates | Crystal Lake, IL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 24, 2019
100 West Woodstock Street
Crystal Lake, Illinois, 60014
(815) 356-3730

It is with a heavy heart that the Crystal Lake Police Department reports they have located what they believe to be the body of Andrew “AJ” Freund early this morning. During the overnight hours, Investigators with the Crystal Lake Police Department and the FBI interviewed both Joann Cunningham and Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. after information was obtained through a forensic analysis of cell phone data.

Once presented with evidence obtained by investigators, both Joann and Andrew Sr. provided information that ultimately led to the recovery of the deceased subject. Investigators located what they believe to be AJ’s body buried in a shallow grave in a remote area in Woodstock, IL. The McHenry County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene to assist with the recovery and identification of the body.

The cause of death is unknown at this time and will be determined by the McHenry County Coroner’s Office.
Based on current information and evidence, both JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund are being charged with the death and disappearance of AJ.

Joann Cunningham has been charged with:

• (5) Counts of First Degree Murder
  • (4) Counts Aggravated Battery
  • (2) Counts of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report a Missing or Child Death
Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. has been charged with:

• (2) Counts of Aggravated Battery
  • (1) Count of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (2) Counts of Concealment of Homicidal Death
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report Missing or Child Death
Both Joann and Drew are currently in police custody and will eventually be transported to McHenry County Jail where they will await a bond hearing.

On behalf of the Crystal Lake Police Department, we would like to thank the FBI, the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office and the other local, state, and county law enforcement and fire department and emergency management entities. Their assistance was instrumental in bringing closure to this investigation.

To AJ’s family, it is our hope that you may have some solace in knowing that AJ is no longer suffering and his killers have been brought to justice. We would also like to thank the community for their support and assistance during this difficult time. To AJ, we know you are at peace playing in heaven’s playground and are happy you no longer have to suffer.

The outcome of this case is a result of the extraordinary efforts of all of the Investigators directly involved in the case. Because the charges resulting from this investigation are based largely on evidence recovered, we will not be providing any further details in an effort to protect the integrity of the criminal prosecution.

###

She looks pretty rough. I hope they go thru agony withdrawing in jail. It’s not fun. Just had a nephew go thru heroin withdrawal in jail. He said it was hell and no one gave a damn.

While I agree it would be great if they had an agonizing withdrawal, I don't necessarily wish that for the mother SOLELY because she has a child inside of her that I don't think should suffer withdrawal because an idiot is carrying her/him.

She looks pretty rough. I hope they go thru agony withdrawing in jail. It’s not fun. Just had a nephew go thru heroin withdrawal in jail. He said it was hell and no one gave a damn.
She's pregnant so I would like to think they will give her stuff to help with withdrawal symptoms. It would be cruel and unethical to the unborn baby if they didn't.

I keep wondering about the ridiculous description of him. I know people thought the parents were neglectful because they didn't even know how much he weighs. I actually think it was more sinister. I think they probably knew darn well he was malnourished, but they wanted it it to appear that he was a healthy size, so they just made up a large number. It's clear that access to food was an issue in the home. Just heartbreaking.

From the charges, I think maybe they were having a pretty rough fight and Andrew tried to separate them or just keep screaming in fear. She has 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery - one against AJ and the other against Senior, no?

The search for 5-year-old AJ Freund ends in heartbreak. How could this happen?

AJ was born with opiates in his system. DCFS had contact with the family since then, most recently in December. Police reports depict a home unsafe for small children: filthy with dog feces and in poor repair, with hazards like exposed and jagged subflooring and broken windows letting in winter air. AJ’s 3-year-old brother was placed in DCFS care after AJ was reported missing.

DCFS, which has had six leaders since 2015, is under scrutiny after the recent deaths of two toddlers, in separate cases, where it had previous contact with families. Less than two weeks ago, we asked for stronger action by DCFS caseworkers and accountability on leadership as we mourned Ja’hir Gibbon, 2. He was beaten to death, allegedly by his mother’s boyfriend, two days after a social worker had visited the home. DCFS had had repeated contact with the family.

We now await what will surely be disturbing answers to the question of how AJ died. Along with the sorrow, there will be an investigation, time to reflect and to apportion blame.

The fact that alarms were sounded about possible abuse and neglect of the Freund boys, in a household unfit for living, should be of great concern to Gov. J.B. Pritzker and newly appointed DCFS Director Marc D. Smith.

While I agree it would be great if they had an agonizing withdrawal, I don't necessarily wish that for the mother SOLELY because she has a child inside of her that I don't think should suffer withdrawal because an idiot is carrying her/him.

She's pregnant so I would like to think they will give her stuff to help with withdrawal symptoms. It would be cruel and unethical to the unborn baby if they didn't.
I didn’t know she’s pregnant. OMG!! No words.

58375562_1409758529172413_2476165503614189568_n.jpg

58381359_1409758489172417_3937286778980925440_n.jpg

Pure evil monsters.
Not just them. Judges,lawyers. DCFS. Who sponsored this, by allowing this to happen.
MOO

Why would there be 5 counts of murder when one person was killed?

Official press release:

City News and Updates | Crystal Lake, IL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 24, 2019
100 West Woodstock Street
Crystal Lake, Illinois, 60014
(815) 356-3730

It is with a heavy heart that the Crystal Lake Police Department reports they have located what they believe to be the body of Andrew “AJ” Freund early this morning. During the overnight hours, Investigators with the Crystal Lake Police Department and the FBI interviewed both Joann Cunningham and Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. after information was obtained through a forensic analysis of cell phone data.

Once presented with evidence obtained by investigators, both Joann and Andrew Sr. provided information that ultimately led to the recovery of the deceased subject. Investigators located what they believe to be AJ’s body buried in a shallow grave in a remote area in Woodstock, IL. The McHenry County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene to assist with the recovery and identification of the body.

The cause of death is unknown at this time and will be determined by the McHenry County Coroner’s Office.
Based on current information and evidence, both JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund are being charged with the death and disappearance of AJ.

Joann Cunningham has been charged with:

• (4) Counts Aggravated Battery
  • (2) Counts of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report a Missing or Child Death
Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. has been charged with:

• (2) Counts of Aggravated Battery
  • (1) Count of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (2) Counts of Concealment of Homicidal Death
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report Missing or Child Death
Both Joann and Drew are currently in police custody and will eventually be transported to McHenry County Jail where they will await a bond hearing.

On behalf of the Crystal Lake Police Department, we would like to thank the FBI, the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office and the other local, state, and county law enforcement and fire department and emergency management entities. Their assistance was instrumental in bringing closure to this investigation.

To AJ’s family, it is our hope that you may have some solace in knowing that AJ is no longer suffering and his killers have been brought to justice. We would also like to thank the community for their support and assistance during this difficult time. To AJ, we know you are at peace playing in heaven’s playground and are happy you no longer have to suffer.

The outcome of this case is a result of the extraordinary efforts of all of the Investigators directly involved in the case. Because the charges resulting from this investigation are based largely on evidence recovered, we will not be providing any further details in an effort to protect the integrity of the criminal prosecution.

###

I have the same question as Greyhound - Why are they both charged with 5 counts of first degree murder when only one person was killed? I’m also assuming since it is 1st degree murder they believe they can show the parents had premeditated this crime?

Sorry for the questions. I’m just ignorant on this aspect of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen