Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

I would also add and someone can correct me if wrong the agent's report from what I have seen in court can cover a lot of things from any childhood issues, medical reports, school and any problems, any mental evaluations, any crimes, abuse, etc. On occasion, if perhaps there is a really sad background, I would not say it cuts much leniency most of the time but I suppose in some cases it might. It could also do the opposite I suppose? It would probably also look at the Marines and loss of jobs. Maybe Falcon can confirm if that is right because I do not swear to it that I am :)

That’s a very good explanation about what a pre-sentencing report could include. It’s delivered to the judge in advance of the sentencing date.

Really, why should he bother to cooperate? It is pretty much a given that he is getting LWOP. I doubt any story he tells is going to reduce his sentence.

I’ll say it again. The attorney has a duty to protect his clients interests. What if a new governor came in and announced that he was going to let every lifer out after 20 years? Since he has never been indicted for the crimes committed inside that cabin anything said now could be used in a trial twenty years from now. A good attorney is always looking out for the unexpected whether next week or in fifty years.

I’m glad his attorney told hm not to cooperate. Nothing that could come out of this losers mouth going forward is going to help Jayme. It will only cause more pain and dredge up memories for her, her family and the community. Whatever happened to him as a child or an adult has no bearing, and is no excuse, for what he did. He is a self serving low life, with or without any true mental health diagnosis.

Lots of people have crummy childhoods, suffer abuse, fail out of the military and have mental illness but they don't plan and execute horrendous crimes like he did.

Jayme Closs' Kidnapper Not Cooperating On Pre-Sentence Investigation

A probation and parole agent is trying to gather information on Jake Patterson for a judge to weigh in determining his sentence, but the Wisconsin man says his lawyer has advised him not to talk.
[...]
“Mr. Patterson has wanted to enter a [guilty] plea since the day we met him,” one of Patterson’s defense attorney Richard Jones said at the time. He went on to say “this is his choice. This is what he wants.”

ETA: JP has done one good thing -- entering a guilty plea.

And I don't think he should ever speak again. He's not probation or parole material -- report not necessary -- where's the common sense here.....

A probation and parole agent is trying to gather information on Jake Patterson for a judge to weigh in determining his sentence, but the Wisconsin man says his lawyer has advised him not to talk.
[...]
“Mr. Patterson has wanted to enter a [guilty] plea since the day we met him,” one of Patterson’s defense attorney Richard Jones said at the time. He went on to say “this is his choice. This is what he wants.”

And I don't think he should ever speak again. He's not probation or parole material -- report not necessary -- where's the common sense here.....
Yeah, I really couldn’t care less here.

He’s never getting out, not in a million years.

LWOP is what he’s getting, and nothing could possibly mitigate his sentence.

He confessed, he is going away and no judge in their right mind would give the most major crime this county has seen anything but life, he will be given the appropriate sentence for these heinous crimes, to do otherwise would be political suicide. That is a no brainer. He will be given the appropriate sentence for his crimes and I would bet on it.

This 21 year old made choice after choice. I however would not be surprised to hear from him again and whine later on that he did not know what he was doing when he pled, did not cooperate in presentence investigation and confessed. In fact, I am predicting it. I hope I am wrong. He is playing a game and thinks he is smarter than the average Joe but he is not.

He confessed, he is going away and no judge in their right mind would give the most major crime this county has seen anything but life, he will be given the appropriate sentence for these heinous crimes, to do otherwise would be political suicide. That is a no brainer. He will be given the appropriate sentence for his crimes and I would bet on it.

This 21 year old made choice after choice. I however would not be surprised to hear from him again and whine later on that he did not know what he was doing when he pled, did not cooperate in presentence investigation and confessed. In fact, I am predicting it. I hope I am wrong. He is playing a game and thinks he is smarter than the average Joe but he is not.

ITA And I hate to bring this up, but he will still have opportunities to 'send his love'..... No matter that NO ONE wants to hear anything out of his mouth. Or written words if they pull anymore of those stunts. He will still be talking I'm sure IMO JMO

Really, why should he bother to cooperate? It is pretty much a given that he is getting LWOP. I doubt any story he tells is going to reduce his sentence.

I’ll say it again. The attorney has a duty to protect his clients interests. What if a new governor came in and announced that he was going to let every lifer out after 20 years? Since he has never been indicted for the crimes committed inside that cabin anything said now could be used in a trial twenty years from now. A good attorney is always looking out for the unexpected whether next week or in fifty years.
^^ Good points ^^
The PSI (Pre-sentence Investigation) report is part of the procedural process. PSI is often used for "correctional programming".

A reason for Patterson to not cooperate with the PSI is because the report is "not limited to evidence that is admissible in court" and could be "biased" based on impressions of PSI report writer.

Prior to sentencing, I think Patterson can withdraw his guilty plea (not that he will) and/or he could even decide he is 'crazy' and request a mental health examination. If this were to happen, any statements already made by Patterson and included in the PSI could be unfavorable to him. His attorney is certainly looking out for the best interests of his client.

Reference:
A presentence report, consisting of information concerning the defendant's personality, social circumstances, and general pattern of behavior and a section entitled “Agent's Impressions" contained neither biased nor incompetent material as such reports are not limited to evidence that is admissible in court, and the defendant's report, although recommending imposition of a maximum term, contained material both favorable and unfavorable as to defendant's general pattern of behavior. State v. Jackson,
69 Wis. 2d 266, 230 N.W.2d 832 (1975).

WISCONSIN STATE LEGISLATURE
Wisconsin Legislature: 972.15

972.15  Presentence investigation.
(1)  After a conviction the court may order a presentence investigation, except that the court may order an employee of the department to conduct a presentence investigation only after a conviction for a felony.
(1m) If a person is convicted for a felony that requires him or her to register under s. 301.45 and if the victim was under 18 years of age at the time of the offense, the court may order the department to conduct a presentence investigation report to assess whether the person is at risk for committing another sex offense, as defined in s. 301.45 (1d) (b).
(2) When a presentence investigation report has been received the judge shall disclose the contents of the report to the defendant's attorney and to the district attorney prior to sentencing. When the defendant is not represented by an attorney, the contents shall be disclosed to the defendant.
[...]
(5) The department may use the presentence investigation report for correctional programming, parole consideration or care and treatment of any person sentenced to imprisonment or the intensive sanctions program, placed on probation, released on parole or extended supervision or committed to the department under ch. 51 or 971 or any other person in the custody of the department or for research purposes. The department may make the report available to other agencies or persons to use for purposes related to correctional programming, parole consideration, care and treatment, or research. Any use of the report under this subsection is subject to the following conditions:
(a) If a report is used or made available to use for research purposes and the research involves personal contact with subjects, the department, agency or person conducting the research may use a subject only with the written consent of the subject or the subject's authorized representative.
(b) The department or the agency or person to whom the report is made available shall not disclose the name or any other identifying characteristics of the subject, except for disclosure to appropriate staff members or employees of the department, agency or person as necessary for purposes related to correctional programming, parole consideration, care and treatment, or research.
(6) The presentence investigation report and any information contained in it or upon which it is based may be used by any of the following persons in any evaluation, examination, referral, hearing, trial, postcommitment relief proceeding, appeal, or other proceeding under ch. 980:
(a) The department of corrections.
(b) The department of health services.
(c) The person who is the subject of the presentence investigation report, his or her attorney, or an agent or employee of the attorney.
(d) The attorney representing the state or an agent or employee of the attorney.
(e) A licensed physician, licensed psychologist, or other mental health professional who is examining the subject of the presentence investigation report.
(f) The court and, if applicable, the jury hearing the case.
[...]

ITA And I hate to bring this up, but he will still have opportunities to 'send his love'..... No matter that NO ONE wants to hear anything out of his mouth. Or written words if they pull anymore of those stunts. He will still be talking I'm sure IMO JMO

I totally agree Jim. I think they can add a condition that shuts down talk for profit but I don't think beyond that they can stop it. No expert maybe someone else can weigh in but that is the way I understand it.

I totally agree Jim. I think they can add a condition that shuts down talk for profit but I don't think beyond that they can stop it. No expert maybe someone else can weigh in but that is the way I understand it.
Son Of Sam Laws allow states to seize profits from criminals for their stories and distribute them to their victims and/or families. Don't know if Wisconsin has the law on the books?

Son Of Sam Laws allow states to seize profits from criminals for their stories and distribute them to their victims and/or families. Don't know if Wisconsin has the law on the books?

If not, perhaps the legislature could run this thru next week???

Thinking of YingYing Zhang, certainly hope neighbor Illinois has this!

Elizabeth Smart's documentary on Jayme Closs shares survivor stories, short on new details

USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin received a preliminary version of the documentary to view before it airs at 7 p.m. Saturday.

"Just sharing for public knowledge that the family did NOT approve this documentary to include Jayme or her story," family friend Jennifer Halvorson wrote in the "Light the way home for Jayme" Facebook group earlier this month. "The family is focused on recovery and I hope the media will step back and allow them this."

During her visit to Barron, according to the documentary, Smart met Jayme and her aunt and uncle, who have assumed guardianship for the teenager. The conversation was private, because the state Department of Justice said an on-camera interview could compromise the case against Patterson, who had not yet been convicted at the time.

Smart answered questions from Jayme's aunt and uncle as the teen moved in and out of the room, staying quiet, Smart said in the documentary. She said she also met with Jayme's extended family, and the film appears to show her speaking with a group of relatives, their backs to the camera.

But as her aunt, Jennifer Smith, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune earlier this month, Jayme does not emerge at any point.

“She has not given any interviews," Smith said. "There is no way she is in there."

Smart also interviewed a Barron newspaper reporter and the Gordon neighbors who helped her after her escape. But a key part of the project focuses on conversations with six other women who survived kidnappings:

The women discuss their difficult histories, offering solidarity to Jayme and insights on her experiences. The documentary concludes with a group discussion among Smart and the six other survivors.

More @ link

I'm confused/bewildered at the Closs family reaction to the upcoming Lifetime Smart program about JC. It's obvious to me that Lifetime was there with cameras and microphones. Even the town hall event at the HS gym where Smart talked to the town, after 5 or 10 minutes, only Lifetime was allowed to record the event while other news organizations were dismissed. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think Lifetime spent the money and time to have a crew in Barron and not use their recordings?

I am looking forward to hearing what those other survivors have to say about their recovery. They are the lucky few that survived a brutal childhood experience that so many others did not survive. They also provide hope for families still missing loved ones.

[...]

The report is for the JUDGE. The report helps the judge make his decision re; sentencing.

The report is for the JUDGE. The report helps the judge make his decision re; sentencing.

The man did a premeditated home invasion, killing a young girl's Mother and Father in front of her, and kept Jayme a prisoner in his bed for weeks, a 14 year old girl, until she escaped.

What can he say that justifies any of that behavior? It is so heinous, the fact that the death penalty is not an option is a tragedy.

The man did a premeditated home invasion, killing a young girl's Mother and Father in front of her, and kept Jayme a prisoner in his bed for weeks, a 14 year old girl, until she escaped.

What can he say that justifies any of that behavior? It is so heinous, the fact that the death penalty is not an option is a tragedy.

Who says the report is going to be favorable?

Who says the report is going to be favorable?

That is it. So why should he bother? He is sure that the sentence is a done deal. There isn't going to be any ankle monitor and mental health treatment deal here.

What really bugs me is that none of these survivors experienced anything near what Jayme did. I'm not minimizing their collectives horror stories, but did any of them lose their parents to murder? That happened in front of this MINOR child's eyes?!

Just FYI, Sarah Maynard's story comes pretty close.

Her mom, family friend, brother and dog were stabbed to death, dismembered and placed in a hollow tree.

She at least witnessed her brothers murder and likely his dismemberment too. The women and dog were before the kids got home.

Sarah was held and repeatedly raped in the dudes basement on a bed of leaves. She was rescued and within months was doing interviews with her father. Then within 3 years helped her dad write a book that her mothers family totally opposed.

And THEN shortly after the book came out her father and stepmother were arrested for abusing Sarah.

However, I don't think Sarah and Jayme are the same type of young lady. I don't think they cope the same way.

A Kidnapping Survivor’s Story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back