Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I suppose this link is in order then for reference:

Jessica Ridgeway: Killer’s ‘awareness space’ may lead to clues
https://www.boulderweekly.com/news/jessica-ridgeway-killerrsquos-lsquoawareness-spacersquo-may-lead-to-clues/

Good find and a great article. I've never heard that term before. It makes total sense though when you read through it and think about it for a bit. It will definitely help me when thinking about this case that's for sure. I've become super confused trying to keep up with what's happened in this case over the last few days.

BBM:

Thanks, Matt!

If/as you're able to check back in here, would be really interested to get your rationale r/t your belief that BG hasn't committed any major crime either before or after the murders...is it b/c he hasn't been identified through DNA matches in the system, no evidence of similar crimes being committed, etc., or are there other reasons you're thinking this crime was a one-off?

Followup question: do you believe him to be capable of committing murders like these once and then completely stopping, i.e., never committing another major crime? Do you see him as someone who would kill themselves vs. risk being identified/caught?

I don't think BG has the internal controls to stop himself from further violence now that he's killed twice.
I think it's only a matter of time before BG acts out on his evil impulses again, but I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about that.

Final Question: is your sense that LE does or does not have the killer's DNA in this case?

All of the Above: JMO.
——————————————————————-

I must stress, this is all just my opinions. I have only read articles etc and watched media. I’m just trying to point you to what I believe is important in police messages.

My answers below and previously are based on my theory. Time will tell if correct.

1st question/
Major crime element, I believe it was opportunistic killing.
If rape, violence, stalking was in his background. A large probability he would be easily linked through DNA/fingerprints/witness etc.
Generally a pattern trending towards murder is present if they planned a murder like this.

2nd question/
Hard to say, it may have been 20years of anger that made him snap. He would be feeling very powerful that he hasn’t been caught, watching all this media attention etc.
I guess if he does get away with it, he could kill again after a large gap. (BTK)
Won’t kill himself, doing it for the notoriety and would prefer jail.

(This relates to my theory he is a ‘loser’ in life, not someone prominent.)

3rd question:
Very hard to say, I think 1 of these 3 scenarios.
- No DNA at crime scene, but witness has identified man in/leaving car. DNA in car.

- DNA at crime scene and in car, match, still unknown suspect. Seeking witness for man in car, once placed in car, then show photo of car to public for further help identifying.

- DNA in car, not at crime scene, suspect known, need a witness to place him with car.

I’ll stress again; these are only my opinions.

Thanks again, Matt!

I really appreciate you taking the time to field these questions as an experienced LEO.
What you've said in this post provides great food for thought and points for discussion.

So, it sounds like in your own opinion, the following is true:
  • This was an opportunistic killing.
  • Feelings of anger and powerlessness are likely triggers to the murder.
  • BG is feeling powerful that he hasn't been caught. He does have the potential to kill again after a long gap. He won't suicide. Wants attention.
  • DNA may have been recovered at crime scene and/or in vehicle, but you think there was DNA recovered somewhere.
Is that a fair summary?

One point of clarification: I don't think we know if LE has recovered a vehicle, but I'm not sure. Can anyone else speak to that???

All of the Above: JMO.

Last edited:
I don’t understand. Geo caching is a sport, it is like discussing soccer
The threads on this case go back over 2 years. Things have happened in the past that have caused the moderators to ask that geo caching not be discussed on this thread. Honestly, I don't recall what the issue was but that's not important. What is important is that it's not to be discussed. You can always take the discussion to private message if you like. :)

Went back and read the transcript, and I read a lot less into it than others than have suggested it means LE knows who the killer is, or that LE believes the killer is a clergyman or a father with girls. To me, most of what they said indicates that they they're back a few spots along the board and need help moving forward, and trying to use the odds in their favor. I hope I'm wrong and they're close to getting the killer, or that even if I'm not wrong, that the PC works magic and it prompts someone to provide information that leads to the killer.

We're seeking the public's help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi that was abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North next to the Hoosier Heartland highway between the hours of noon to 5:00 on February 14th 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi city building.

IMO, they are asking for help that is geared toward figuring out who the suspect is because they don't know who it is.

We are releasing additional portions of the audio recorded from that day. Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is not two different people speaking. Please listen to it very, very carefully. We are also releasing video recovered from Libby's phone. This video has never before been previously released. The video shows a suspect walking on the bridge. When you see the video watch the watch the person's mannerisms as they walk. Watch the mannerisms as he walks. Do you recognize the mannerisms as being someone that you might know? Remember he is walking on a former railroad bridge. Because of the deteriorated condition of the bridge the suspect is not walking naturally due to the spacing between the ties.

IMO, they are asking for help identifying the suspect because they don't know who it is.

During the course of this investigation we have concluded the first sketch released will become secondary as of today. The result of the new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe the sketch which you will see shortly is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls.

They've said the second sketch was created way back when in February 2017. IMO, they must have had some reason back then to run with the first and keep the second under wraps back then, and since then either (i) forgot about the second until something reminded someone of it, (ii) had something come out that raised doubts about the validity of the first sketch, or (iii) learned something that favored the second sketch over the first, or (iv) some combination of those three.

We also believe this person is from Delphi. Currently or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis or works here.

IMO, this isn't really all that noteworthy. How likely would it have been for someone wasn't from or was unfamiliar with the area to be there, kill the girls, and disappear?

We believe this person is currently between the age range of 18 and 40 but might appear younger than its true age.

For me, this is the most interesting thing they said because it's not clear what led them to this conclusion - is it the sketch? Something else?

Directly to the killer who may be in this room. We believe you are hiding in plain sight.

I don't really see much significance in this. Most murderers do hide in plain sight! And often times, murderers are want to know the impact they're having and find out what LE knows and doesn't know, so the in this room thing doesn't mean much to me.

For more than two years you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy but we have.

For me, this is more damning about the investigation than anything to do with the killer. He's basically admitting that they were on the wrong path for two years, and assuming the killer had started to believe that LE would never get on the right path.

We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you.

IMO, this is just the odds. They've interviewed a lot of people. The odds are good that one of them is the killer or someone close to the killer.

We know that this is about power to you and you want to know what we know. And one day you will.

IMO, this is just stating the obvious - of course the killer wants to know what LE knows.

The question to you: what will those closest to you think of they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls, two children? Only a coward would do such a thing.

IMO, I think he's just taking a shot at the guy and trying to upset him or piss him off so he makes a mistake.

We are confident that you have told someone what you have done or at the very least they know because how different you are since the murders.

Again, IMO, this is just stating something for which the odds are high to try to make the guy nervous and make a mistake. It's also a message to others to think about people they know who might fit the description and who have seemingly acted differently since the murders. It could signal that they think the person is a first timer, but the odds are good that it is a first time killer - or at least a first time child killer.

We try so hard to understand how a person could do something like this to to two chil to two children. I recently watched a movie called The Shack and there's also a book that talks so well about evil, about death and about eternity. To the murderer I believe you have just a little bit of a conscience left and I can assure you that how you left them in that woods is not, is not what they are experiencing today.

If they're from the local area, odds are they have a Christian background and upbringing, and IMO, this part is trying to have it both ways - appealing to someone who may have some guilt or conscience to do the right thing or to hit at someone who has pride in feeling he exercised some sort of power over the girls or the girls' family by pointing out that he failed, as he didn't end their lives because they live on in Heaven.

The threads on this case go back over 2 years. Things have happened in the past that have caused the moderators to ask that geo caching not be discussed on this thread. Honestly, I don't recall what the issue was but that's not important. What is important is that it's not to be discussed. You can always take the discussion to private message if you like. :)
Ok, where can I find a list of things not to mention?

Please contact a moderator if you do not understand. I don’t know how to make it clearer that discussion about geocaching is not allowed and the thread will get locked for everybody because people are not willing to follow the rules.

Several posters have tried to warn folks here, myself included, obviously. I actually was nicely reprimanded once by a mod for trying to warn a poster about another forbidden topic here - I was asked/instructed not to try to police the thread, just use the report button and let the mods, admins, Tricia, etc. handle it.

So, as an FYI, that is what I just did regarding all this chatter tonight about geo-caching.

ETA: I just nicely asked if someone could step in and formally address the issue.

Last edited:
On Monday I was 100% sure we would see an arrest within the two weeks LE talked about.
On Tuesday I was 87% sure we would see that arrest in that time frame.
Tonight, I think there is a 3% chance we see anything that even looks like progress.
I still believe all this is taking place because police dismissed someone as a suspect early on that they realize now is the killer and they dismissed him only because he was known in the community. Now they have to go back and build a case from scratch that is two years old.
I’ve certainly been wrong before and I sure hope I’m wrong this time.

Is the reason for increasing uncertainty perhaps because we’re all still quite theory-less given the new information?

A huge amount of the last 90 or so threads was based (wasted) on ideas pertaining to the first sketch. I can’t begin to imagine how all the people of Delphi feel, considering all the many ways this crime has touched each one of them directly.

Several posters have tried to warn folks here, me included, obviously. I actually was nicely reprimanded once by a mod for trying to warn a poster about another forbidden topic here - I was asked not to try to police the thread, just use the report button and let the mods, admins, Tricia, etc. handle it. So, as an FYI, that is what I just did regarding all this chatter tonight about geo-caching.

I apologise I am not a moderator I just really don’t want this thread locked at this critical time. Can you imagine if an arrest is made soon and the thread is locked and we cannot discuss it it would be terrible.

I apologise I am not a moderator I just really don’t want this thread locked at this critical time. Can you imagine if an arrest is made soon and the thread is locked and we cannot discuss it it would be terrible.
I understand totally. I think the fact that we AREN'T mods is why the discussions continue. I guess people think we are just picking on them, so we are ignored. I assume, too, this is why the powers that be here at WS just ask that we report problems and let them deal with it. That's part of their job/why they are here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member