Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoAnn Cunningham Criminal Complaint

Her documents are up and it does list the charges for 3/4/19. Looks like she physically abused him then as well. So heart breaking!! Unless they discovered something during the investigation that indicated she beat him on the 4th, someone did not do their job in protecting this poor boy and, I'm sure, his younger brother.

I do think she lied to her attorney and once he realized that and the truth, he was out. It would be hard to represent someone like that. I'm sure there is some awful evidence involved as well. I agree with the person who posted that she'll probably play the victim card; probably will blame AJ Sr stating he threatened her and made her do it. I don't know if she could get away with saying he beat her because of the body search they did on her.

Definitely said prayers for P this morning as he probably witnessed all of this. My heart hurts for him.

Judging by the older brothers custody battle documents, it seemed all they fed these kids was marshmallows...having a meal 4/7 days per week. And that was 5 years ago. It's possible conditions were even worse for them, now. One of the videos posted on the birth mother's facebook page showed a video of either AJ or his younger brother eating marshmallows. Telling that marshmallows were likely still the primary food for these kids. And I'm sure all of the things mentioned in the custody battle by the grandmother and confirmed by the older son happened to AJ in exactly the same way, if not worse.

Here’s the video from JoAnn Cunningham’s Facebook with the marshmallows.
She said it was Thanksgiving.
JoAnn Cunningham

Going to say this and then I am really going to try not to waste anymore time on thoughts of the parents. They don't deserve the focus and this last upsetting thought will hopefully be the last I allow myself. The father will pay a price by losing his right to live a free life but the TV drama (life with Bubba) everyone dreams of is not usually a reality. Having witnessed certain professionals who serve long sentences; if AF plays his cards right his professional skills will make him popular to other inmates and he will settle quite nicely. This is one of the reasons punishment or talking about it does not make me feel better. Nor does the thought of going beyond what the justice system allows as it puts guards and other innocents at risk. It also opens the door for huge money making lawsuits where we pay the winnings. Apologies for the long, rambling, vented opinion but had to get it off my chest. JMO
ETA: The only comfort we should find is what we do to bring change.

Last edited:
I’m sorry... sr looks like he doesn’t give a F he buried his son in a shallow grave, and mama hell looks like she is throwing a pity party for herself because she can’t get high... :)I’m smiling inside knowing these 2 are going to pay the price!

Illinois abolished the death penalty July 1, 2011.
The maximum sentence a Judge can impose is life without the possibility of parole.

Her documents are up and it does list the charges for 3/4/19. Looks like she physically abused him then as well. So heart breaking!! Unless they discovered something during the investigation that indicated she beat him on the 4th, someone did not do their job in protecting this poor boy and, I'm sure, his younger brother.

I do think she lied to her attorney and once he realized that and the truth, he was out. It would be hard to represent someone like that. I'm sure there is some awful evidence involved as well. I agree with the person who posted that she'll probably play the victim card; probably will blame AJ Sr stating he threatened her and made her do it. I don't know if she could get away with saying he beat her because of the body search they did on her.

Definitely said prayers for P this morning as he probably witnessed all of this. My heart hurts for him.

Her divorce attorney (AF) fell for her, I wonder if this one was as well.
BARF!!

Thank you for posting the link. I couldn't find it before.

I wonder if the phone data revealed texts between the parents about beating the children. MOO.

There are two episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit that deal with failures of social service agencies. Worthwhile viewing if you can access on demand.

Careless (2004)
After a young boy dies during a church vigil, Tutuola and Munch investigate the boy's foster parents and social worker for neglect.

Institutional Fail (2015)
SVU goes after Social Services after a pattern of falsified reports leads to the death of a young girl, but Benson is receiving a lot of political pressure to let it go and not open up a can of worms.

A look into Illinois boy's short life reveals a series of injustices

The welfare worker did not go out to the home because the cause of the bruise was undetermined. The house was so bad that the police also called a building inspector who was denied entry into the home. This usually means someone thought the home was unsafe for occupancy or in bad enough condition to be condemned. This was another missed chance to get him out of the home.

But months later, authorities were called to the family's home again. This time, they saw more signs of neglect.

One officer found dog feces and urine scattered in the home in December, according to a police report.

During that visit, the officer reported a suspicious bruise on one of the children. But a welfare worker couldn't determine whether it was the result of abuse, the report said. Someone at the house said it may have been caused by a dog.

Police described broken windows and a strong smell of feces in the area where AJ and his younger brother slept.

One officer contacted Crystal Lake Building and Zoning to inspect the home.

"Upon arrival B&Z was denied entry into the residence," the officer wrote.

Last edited:
Question for those of you who have maybe seen situations like this before...

I know that animal control took the dog yesterday. What do they do with the dog? I really hope they re-home him or her. I'm sorry, this has just bothered me a bit since I really don't know and I hope they don't just put the dog down.
The dog did nothing wrong. I too hope loving family is allowed to adopt the dog

Just thinking - the sentencing - If AF snr should get sentenced with a chance of parole he will surely be in his 80's when eligible...
She, on the other hand, will still be young enough if she were to get parole...
Hope this does not happen.

It shouldn’t unless he is willing to take most of the blame knowing that she would have to spend a much longer time in prison because of their age difference.

I’m surprised by the attorney’s reaction. Yesterday I was furious with him but now it looks like he actually believed the mother. I’d love to know what she told him.

Or maybe he's never dealt with a manipulative chronic methhead/doper before.

Can he have failed to know her mother had succeeded in getting parental rights over her older son, the missing son had been in foster care for 2 years, and there had been multiple child welfare and LE visits to the home because of reports of squalor and child abuse?

Wouldn't he have at least researched her priors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd