Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

Okay this Lifetime special is really bugging me now.

Elizabeth once said that meeting her husband was amazing because he didn't know her story. He didn't have those preconceived notions or history when they met.

Jayme has been afforded a unique chance here by her perp pleading guilty. Unlike Shasta, Elizabeth and Jaycee all those details don't have to be public! In fact it can simply go away once he's sentenced so she can move on and heal.

WHY on earth would these survivors not want that for Jayme?! It's a chance NONE of them were given!

How is it fair that Jayme cannot go to a friends house, or to a restaurant, or to a medical center without fear of seeing her face and trauma pop up on TV! How is that okay?

Yes I understand that the family probably should have realized this would happen. They are not media savvy or veterans at dealing with TV networks though.

However, the production crew involved SHOULD have respected the families wishes once they were made clear. THEY should have absolutely agreed not to further victimize Jayme.

Yes. I am quite upset about this indeed. I wish I'd found out earlier so we could have really tried to prevent it!

Elizabeth once said that meeting her husband was amazing because he didn't know her story. He didn't have those preconceived notions or history when they met.

Jayme has been afforded a unique chance here by her perp pleading guilty. Unlike Shasta, Elizabeth and Jaycee all those details don't have to be public! In fact it can simply go away once he's sentenced so she can move on and heal.

WHY on earth would these survivors not want that for Jayme?! It's a chance NONE of them were given!

How is it fair that Jayme cannot go to a friends house, or to a restaurant, or to a medical center without fear of seeing her face and trauma pop up on TV! How is that okay?

Yes I understand that the family probably should have realized this would happen. They are not media savvy or veterans at dealing with TV networks though.

However, the production crew involved SHOULD have respected the families wishes once they were made clear. THEY should have absolutely agreed not to further victimize Jayme.

Yes. I am quite upset about this indeed. I wish I'd found out earlier so we could have really tried to prevent it!

I doubt we could do anything to prevent this 'show' from happening. And you are spot on with this poor family.

The worst part, to me, IMO, is that any discussion about Jayme will always remind us (along with JC and her entire family) of WHO she lost. The Lifetime special might, or might not, attempt to avoid discussing JCs parents, but they will always be the biggest part of JCs trauma. And that is unavoidable, and unthinkable, as 'they' try to include JC in any of this.

ITA but on the other hand, probably 95% of people will never see the program, I for one wouldn't even know about it if I hadn't been made aware of it on this site. Also, I wouldn't even know where to find it on TV.
When I am in the middle of knowing about a situation like this, it is hard for me to realize that everyone I am in contact with doesn't know about it also.
JC has a warm, loving, close family who will protect her as she comes to an understanding of what happened and with all the right stuff in place when she learns of this program she will be able to handle it. It occurs to me also that JC could access WS and read all that we have written from the first entry to now.

Exactly!!! I am very disappointed in Ms Smart. She and Lifetime evading the town, hosting a large event at HS and giving the impression this is to help Jayme!!! Its called respect, Ms Smart, we trusted you and you took advantage of Jayme and us.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/eliza...me-closs-lifetime-special-to-be-exploitative/

'The case is mostly contextualized as Smart and six fellow survivors discuss their own experiences — and how they moved on after escaping or being rescued.

Smart’s peers on the special have experiences ranging from being held for nine years (Gina DeJesus) to being held for one night and escaping a serial killer (Kara Robinson). Others include Sarah Maynard, Katie Beers, Denise Huskins and Alicia Kozakiewicz.

“It was about what lies on the road ahead,” Smart says. “We do talk about the investigation but we stay away from speculation of what could have happened to [Jayme].'

Just FYI, Sarah Maynard's story comes pretty close.

Her mom, family friend, brother and dog were stabbed to death, dismembered and placed in a hollow tree.

She at least witnessed her brothers murder and likely his dismemberment too. The women and dog were before the kids got home.

Sarah was held and repeatedly raped in the dudes basement on a bed of leaves. She was rescued and within months was doing interviews with her father. Then within 3 years helped her dad write a book that her mothers family totally opposed.

And THEN shortly after the book came out her father and stepmother were arrested for abusing Sarah.

However, I don't think Sarah and Jayme are the same type of young lady. I don't think they cope the same way.

A Kidnapping Survivor’s Story
That was another tragic case. So very sad to see these young victims become the targets of perverted and delusional minds. The damage done to them extends long after the physical wounds heal.

I hope Jayme is as well as she can be. I know she has a loving, protective support system around her and I believe they will help ensure she gets all the mental health counseling she needs. She's strong and she's proven to the world and herself, that above all else, she is a survivor!

Exactly!!! I am very disappointed in Ms Smart. She and Lifetime evading the town, hosting a large event at HS and giving the impression this is to help Jayme!!! Its called respect, Ms Smart, we trusted you and you took advantage of Jayme and us.

Yes this is what I meant by trying to prevent it from airing. If we'd learned about it soon enough we could have started a petition. I learned about the show on here but when I started expressing my outrage to others they had seen commercials for it. So I think it might be more well known than people think.

4/26/19

Elizabeth Smart, America’s most famous kidnapping survivor, is now an advocate for child safety.

Even so, she was reluctant to host her new Lifetime special “Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case.”

“I was hesitant about doing her story,” says Smart, who was 14 when she was kidnapped from her home in Salt Lake City in 2002 and held captive for nine months until she was rescued.

“I had been in [Jayme’s] situation and I never wanted it to come out as exploitative,” says Smart, now 31. “I wanted to be respectful and protective of her family. I told Lifetime, ‘If I was to consider doing this, I would in no way want to go into her story because if she ever decides to share it, that is completely up to her. That’s not what it is at all.’ ”

(Members of the Closs family cooperated with the show’s producers but were advised by the Department of Justice to decline interviews, according to Lifetime.)
[...]
Smart emphasizes that she wants this special to help guide people on making the jump from victim to survivor. “Once a case has resolution as far as finding the survivor, you take for granted, ‘They’ve been found, everything is good now,’ ” she says. “But so many people who have been through traumatic events . . . can’t make that jump to survivor. For a victim, even if the trauma may have ended, it’s still actively traumatizing them. A survivor — yes you have bad days, but you’ve made that decision to reclaim your life and no matter what the struggle is, you keep moving forward.”

Smart goes to see Jayme and her aunt and uncle (who are now raising her), but the actual visit was not filmed. “All the meetings I have with survivors I keep confidential,” she says. “I’m always happy to talk, to listen. I’m a phone call away. They have my number.”

bbm

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/eliza...me-closs-lifetime-special-to-be-exploitative/

Yes this is what I meant by trying to prevent it from airing. If we'd learned about it soon enough we could have started a petition. I learned about the show on here but when I started expressing my outrage to others they had seen commercials for it. So I think it might be more well known than people think.
Members of the Closs family cooperated with the show’s producers but were advised by the Department of Justice to decline interviews, according to Lifetime.

Why are you fighting what Jayme's family cooperated with?

Understandably, they are not doing interviews and not promoting the special but they obviously don't want this "stopped."

I trust the guardians know what's best for Jayme. What am I missing?

MOO

Last edited:

Understandably, they are not doing interviews and not promoting the special but they obviously don't want this "stopped."

MOO

I am so glad to the article clarifying Ms. Smarts intention. Knowing that she had the cooperation makes a big difference in my opinion of her.

Do you think Ms. Smart released this information due to backlash?

I'm confused/bewildered at the Closs family reaction to the upcoming Lifetime Smart program about JC. It's obvious to me that Lifetime was there with cameras and microphones. Even the town hall event at the HS gym where Smart talked to the town, after 5 or 10 minutes, only Lifetime was allowed to record the event while other news organizations were dismissed. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think Lifetime spent the money and time to have a crew in Barron and not use their recordings?

I am looking forward to hearing what those other survivors have to say about their recovery. They are the lucky few that survived a brutal childhood experience that so many others did not survive. They also provide hope for families still missing loved ones.

I agree. I don't believe the family was ever opposed to this.

I believe it's the timing of the airing of the program that Closs family is reacting to-- believing it better if aired after the sentencing of JP.

I don't know that even ES has control over the timing and not fair to blame her.

MOO

4/26/19

Elizabeth Smart, America’s most famous kidnapping survivor, is now an advocate for child safety.

Even so, she was reluctant to host her new Lifetime special “Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case.”

“I was hesitant about doing her story,” says Smart, who was 14 when she was kidnapped from her home in Salt Lake City in 2002 and held captive for nine months until she was rescued.

“I had been in [Jayme’s] situation and I never wanted it to come out as exploitative,” says Smart, now 31. “I wanted to be respectful and protective of her family. I told Lifetime, ‘If I was to consider doing this, I would in no way want to go into her story because if she ever decides to share it, that is completely up to her. That’s not what it is at all.’ ”

(Members of the Closs family cooperated with the show’s producers but were advised by the Department of Justice to decline interviews, according to Lifetime.)
[...]
Smart emphasizes that she wants this special to help guide people on making the jump from victim to survivor. “Once a case has resolution as far as finding the survivor, you take for granted, ‘They’ve been found, everything is good now,’ ” she says. “But so many people who have been through traumatic events . . . can’t make that jump to survivor. For a victim, even if the trauma may have ended, it’s still actively traumatizing them. A survivor — yes you have bad days, but you’ve made that decision to reclaim your life and no matter what the struggle is, you keep moving forward.”

Smart goes to see Jayme and her aunt and uncle (who are now raising her), but the actual visit was not filmed. “All the meetings I have with survivors I keep confidential,” she says. “I’m always happy to talk, to listen. I’m a phone call away. They have my number.”

bbm

It's nice to see Smart address this and it makes perfect sense. I had a hard time believing she intentionally deceived the Closs family.

I love the idea that they are focusing on the story of these women's survival.

MOO

"Just sharing for public knowledge that the family did NOT approve this documentary to include Jayme or her story," family friend Jennifer Halvorson wrote in the "Light the way home for Jayme" Facebook group earlier this month. "The family is focused on recovery and I hope the media will step back and allow them this."

Elizabeth Smart's documentary on Jayme Closs shares survivor stories, short on new details

MOO
I think the first reports were that the family didn’t cooperate.

"Just sharing for public knowledge that the family did NOT approve this documentary to include Jayme or her story," family friend Jennifer Halvorson wrote in the "Light the way home for Jayme" Facebook group earlier this month. "The family is focused on recovery and I hope the media will step back and allow them this."

Elizabeth Smart's documentary on Jayme Closs shares survivor stories, short on new details

I agree. Most of us saw this and read the family did not want this. The upset or disagreement over the special has been in support of Jayme and her family/the victims. On my part at least; I am not speaking for others but I would suspect in most cases, the reason is the same.

If Jayme or her family do not or did not want it, then I am against it.

I doubt they can do much to stop stories or those shows who wish to do a story, however, one certainly does not have to agree with it or endorse it.

There may now after some length of time be an attempt to temper it and explain it or smooth it over (perhaps even edit) because there has been backlash. I think Elizabeth Smart is a terrific example of overcoming what she suffered, however, disagreeing with this does not mean I still do not think what she has done with her life is anything less than admirable.

However, until something of substance changes my mind, it seems to me the family and Jayme preferred her story not be included and I have heard nothing to date to change my mind.

If the victim is against something then I am going to support the victim in most cases.

I also think they darned well could have waited until after sentencing.

just my opinion though and opinions are going to vary.

I agree. Most of us saw this and read the family did not want this. The upset or disagreement over the special has been in support of Jayme and her family/the victims. On my part at least; I am not speaking for others but I would suspect in most cases, the reason is the same.

If Jayme or her family do not or did not want it, then I am against it.

I doubt they can do much to stop stories or those shows who wish to do a story, however, one certainly does not have to agree with it or endorse it.

There may now after some length of time be an attempt to temper it and explain it or smooth it over (perhaps even edit) because there has been backlash. I think Elizabeth Smart is a terrific example of overcoming what she suffered, however, disagreeing with this does not mean I still do not think what she has done with her life is anything less than admirable.

However, until something of substance changes my mind, it seems to me the family and Jayme preferred her story not be included and I have heard nothing to date to change my mind.

If the victim is against something then I am going to support the victim in most cases.

I also think they darned well could have waited until after sentencing.

just my opinion though and opinions are going to vary.
I wholeheartedly agree with your opinions here.

Smart Justice: The Jamey Closs Case
Premieres tonight (Saturday) on Lifetime at 8:00PM (EDT). Repeated at 9:30.

Elizabeth Smart brings together fellow kidnapping victims to share survival stories

Six other kidnapping survivors joined Smart in a new Lifetime special where they shared advice to help fellow survivor Jayme Closs heal.
It appears that they fixed the naming in the title.

"Smart shares advice about moving forward, along with insight from six other kidnapping survivors who provide incredible examples of resilience, in the new Lifetime special, "Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case."

I realize this is a goofy question, but if they are all concerned with helping JC face her future, could they have just done this in private? Why the need for a Lifetime special?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back