Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, there was a information reported that he had walked around the home in a uniform waving a weapon--possibly in relation to the custody case of the older child. I would guess that he has not been as on the straight and narrow before meeting this woman. Even if she was the most mesmerizing woman in the world, I can't see a fully functioning adult sliding into drug use, child abuse, hoarding and general dysfunction so easily. My thinking is that he was marginally functioning before with possible alcohol and substance abuse issues and meeting her exacerbated his dysfunction.

People who get together through drug abuse or alcohol abuse do not usually have normal functioning relationships.
I’m at work right now so can’t look for it but there’s was a news article that said he had a cocaine and opiate addiction before he represented her in her divorce. His law firm where he practiced tried to help him even pay for the rehab. It was well known he had a drug addiction problem in the local area. He represented JC in lieu of money as long as she would get him his pills in a different city im sorry I can’t remember the name of the city.

My guess is the CPS caseworkers in the majority of cases in the US do not do competent work!

They know how difficult it is to remove a child from a family. They go thru everything possible when they first begin their job. After so many defeats, a person becomes callous and accepts the fact the judge hearing these cases won’t remove children.

So, their work begins to slip, their calls are falsely reported, and no one catches on or cares until a tragedy like AJ happens.

The supervisor, department manager, whatever the head is called is interested in making the number of calls / contacts they have been given. Forget the quality of the calls! JMO

Also, they set an appointment with the family they are calling on. Therefore, many times things look A-okay.
Of course we have all seen the reports.....the child away from the home but interview with mom was productive........
This will continue, its going on right now. We hear of few cases.

*now we have Carfentanil in our area, one of the most potent opioids ever.
What next?

I’m at work right now so can’t look for it but there’s was a news article that said he had a cocaine and opiated addiction before he represented her in her divorce. His law firm where he practiced tried to help him even pay for the rehab. It was well known he had a drug addiction problem in the local area. He represented JC in lieu of money as long as she would get him his pills im sorry I can’t remember the name of the city.

I read the same thing it was way back in thread, before they found AJ.

Also, they set an appointment with the family they are calling on. Therefore, many times things look A-okay.
Of course we have all seen the reports.....the child away from the home but interview with mom was productive........
This will continue, its going on right now. We hear of few cases.

*now we have Carfentanil in our area, one of the most potent opioids ever.
What next?

Five Quick Facts: Carfentanil | Just Think Twice

I've read about the massive ODs in public, but didn't know the drug.

OMG..

Elephant tranquilizer
10,000 more potent than morphine

My guess is the CPS caseworkers in the majority of cases in the US do not do competent work!

They know how difficult it is to remove a child from a family. They go thru everything possible when they first begin their job. After so many defeats, a person becomes callous and accepts the fact the judge hearing these cases won’t remove children.

So, their work begins to slip, their calls are falsely reported, and no one catches on or cares until a tragedy like AJ happens.

The supervisor, department manager, whatever the head is called is interested in making the number of calls / contacts they have been given. Forget the quality of the calls! JMO

A Judge removed AJ for 18 months and I seriously doubt a Judge would have refused a request to remove him again. Unfortunately, the Court wasn't involved and that's on the shoulders of DCFS.

JMO

A Judge removed AJ for 18 months and I seriously doubt a Judge would have refused a request to remove him again. Unfortunately, the Court wasn't involved and that's on the shoulders of DCFS.

JMO

Also, had AJ not been brutally murdered, after the woman gave birth to an addicted child, perhaps a thorough investigation might have taken place? Idk.
If she had prenatal care her OB was aware of her problems, I would think. I wish more had been done to get her help, maybe an inpatient treatment plan during her pregnancy.
Too late now.

Last edited:
I realize that but, if LE is not following the rules, complaints against LE are filed and investigated by the State Police.
I filed against an officer that looked the other way on child abuse. He was reprimanded and later quit. Heck, we had to get a LE supervisor on a child that was beaten. Patrol officers do not want to deal with this kinda stuff.

Police in my south suburban Cook County community do deal with child abuse very directly and take it very seriously. I've seen nothing that suggests LE did something wrong in this case. Illinois DCFS is the agency that dropped the ball.

JMO

Police in my south suburban Cook County community do deal with child abuse very directly and take it very seriously. I've seen nothing that suggests LE did something wrong in this case. Illinois DCFS is the agency that dropped the ball.

JMO

Glad to hear this.
Lately, in my area, they are quicker to remove children from filthy homes. I do see (too) many reports on the nightly news of kids being removed due to lack of hygiene, edible food, heat, etc. Cases used to be referred to CPS.

Also, had AJ not been brutally murdered, after the woman gave birth to an addicted child, perhaps a thorough investigation might have taken place? Idk.
If she had prenatal care her OB was aware of her problems, I would think. I wish more had been done to get her help, maybe an inpatient treatment plan during her pregnancy.
Too late now.
The "investigations" had been going on long before AJ was born yet he was returned to her. I question how thorough those investigations really were.

JMO

The "investigations" had been going on long before AJ was born yet he was returned to her. I question how thorough those investigations really were.

JMO
I know this link has been posted multiple times, it is a good timeline. So, she did receive unscheduled as well as scheduled visits, as well as off/on participation in a drug program. Idk why AJ was returned. I don’t think she wanted him.....
Murdered boy's mom was former foster parent

I have said this before because I have had family work for Illinois DCFS - as long as the child's basic needs seem to be taken care of (they have a spot to sleep, they are being fed at least to the point of not totally starving), the children are considered okay. Kids are rarely taken away from the parents, "reconciliation" (trying to get parents to be better parents) is always the #1 priority, even in cases that may seem "extreme" to the rest of us common folk.

Does anyone know if it's possible that DCFS has a system in place that would reward the ratio of or % of cases that a worker has that end with the family staying intact/case being closed? I ask because DCFS's stated mission is to preserve the family, first and foremost. Given that this is their mission, could some supervisors be incentivizing (bonus, raise, other things) this type of behavior in order to make it look like they themselves and their case workers are indeed succeeding in meeting the stated mission of the organization?

I ask this in the context of how extremely poorly (and suspiciously) AJ's case had been handled by DCFS/CPS, especially given that this type of behavior has been found in the past in the organization (e.g. DCFS investigators competed for $100 gift cards for closing most cases).

Same here Triple P. Keep the family together, at any cost, is pretty much the norm.
I posted a few days ago, the procedure is similar to reporting animal abuse. The reply I usually get is “We couldn’t see the starved horse from the road & can’t enter the property, we will drive by again tomorrow or next day.”
Idk what makes anyone think an addict is capable of raising children?

I have said this before because I have had family work for Illinois DCFS - as long as the child's basic needs seem to be taken care of (they have a spot to sleep, they are being fed at least to the point of not totally starving), the children are considered okay. Kids are rarely taken away from the parents, "reconciliation" (trying to get parents to be better parents) is always the #1 priority, even in cases that may seem "extreme" to the rest of us common folk.

Yes, the "reconciliation" goal is what was so strongly questioned at the the hearing the other day. Instead of reconciliation, the goal should be the child's "best interest." It is never in a child's best interest to live in deplorable, unsanitary conditions.

JMO

Yes, the "reconciliation" goal is what was so strongly questioned at the the hearing the other day. Instead of reconciliation, the goal should be the child's "best interest." It is never in a child's best interest to live in deplorable, unsanitary conditions.

JMO
Exactly, otherwise they might as well change their name to the Department of Family and Children Services. With "Children" preceding "Family", one would think that Children would come before Family, which we all know not to be the case.

June, 2015: Judge orders Andrew returned to the custody of his mother. Youth Service Bureau worker makes 17 unannounced visits to the parents’ home on 6/24/15, 7/1/15, 7/8/15, 7/22/15, 8/5/15, 8/9/15, 8/27/15, 9/1/15, 9/29/15, 10/4/15, 10/26/15, 12/17/15, 1/13/16, 1/21/16, 2/2/16, 2/25/16, and 3/11/16. The worker does not observe any signs of abuse or neglect.

Youth Service Bureau worker makes nine scheduled visits to the parents’ home on 6/13/15, 6/17/15, 7/7/15, 7/20/15, 9/9/15, 11/12/15, 12/3/15, 3/24/16 and 4/13/16. The worker does not observe any signs of abuse or neglect.

8/28/15: Worker is informed the father’s drug test was invalid.

April, 2016: Andrew’s juvenile court case is closed.

Murdered boy's mom was former foster parent
Are we to assume from June 2015 - April 2016 she was not using? I don’t buy it.
Later she’s allegedly found passed out in her car, enters some type of drug treatment program. Did her counselor not drug test her?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member