Mom unable to register daughter because she (mom) did not follow the dress code.

I think he should have said no head coverings unless mandated by religious beliefs or something along those lines. It’s like he is picking on certain head gear he is annoyed with.

They blew it. They had a chance to show the world they are inclusive and gracious vs. petty or something much worse. Fail!

*Amateur opinion and speculation only*

https://www.essence.com/news/new-dress-code-policy-for-houston-parents-being-called-racist/

According to Brown, the policy is needed to “prepare children and let them know daily, the appropriate attire they are supposed to wear when entering a building, going somewhere, applying for a job, or visiting someone outside of the home setting.” Brown, in her letter, said that parents who did not follow the rules, would not be permitted inside of the building.

Although the Houston educator and Madison High School grad, who is Black, insists that the policy is designed to prepare students for the future, many are saying the decision has racial undertones. Others are calling it classist and elitist.

Although I understand the uproar, I do believe Mrs. Brown had good intentions. Madison High School has been a low-performing high school for several years, and Mrs. Brown was brought in to replace a principal who quit after less than a year. I think she is trying to change the culture of the school and, as a former graduate of this very school, I think she understands the clientele better than anyone. JMO

It's obviously not a dress but a night shirt. It's too short and she looks like she just rolled out of bed. Her daughter must be so proud..

At least her Mother was taking her to school, instead of laying in front of the tv, ignoring her child. The fact that the Mother doesn't know what is appropriate to take her daughter to school isn't the fault of the child.

This reminds me of a church I used to attend, the people made fun of a young woman who wore old pants to church. She didn't have money for fancy clothes. I decided that day that I hated that church and never went back.

Madison HS principal responds to adult dress code controversy

"I felt a need to enact a dress code because it's an educational environment, a place of learning," Brown said. "And when anyone walks in, we have impressionable children and we have to model what we want them to know."

Brown said some parents have arrived at school in inappropriate clothes. "One instance, a mother came in with a see-through shirt and you could see her breast and nipples."

Madison HS principal responds to adult dress code controversy

Last edited:
At least her Mother was taking her to school, instead of laying in front of the tv, ignoring her child. The fact that the Mother doesn't know what is appropriate to take her daughter to school isn't the fault of the child.

This reminds me of a church I used to attend, the people made fun of a young woman who wore old pants to church. She didn't have money for fancy clothes. I decided that day that I hated that church and never went back.

No one in church should EVER mock anyone for wearing old clothes that's disgusting.

In this case, the child wasn't with her mother nor was the child enrolled in the school. The mother claimed she was trying to enroll her child in the school but we don't know if that is true.

JMO

In this case, the child wasn't with her mother nor was the child enrolled in the school. The mother claimed she was trying to enroll her child in the school but we don't know if that is true.

JMO

Now you are suggesting the mother was there for some reason other than enrolling her? She just showed up at a random highschool for no good reason and decided to make up the story about enrollment when asked to leave?

You seem rather invested in a negative view of this woman.

Now you are suggesting the mother was there for some reason other than enrolling her? She just showed up at a random highschool for no good reason and decided to make up the story about enrollment when asked to leave?

There has been a lot of not so subtle judgmental attitudes towards this woman. Now to accuse her of showing up at a random school to stir up trouble for no reason? Very sad.

I do form negative views of people with obvious agendas.

The woman wanted to create an uproar over student dress codes and received a parental dress code as a result.

I give kudos to the new principal rather than to the stranger who was asked to leave.

JMO

I have never heard of a parental dress code.

As a teacher, we were concerned with parental involvement. We wanted parents as partners with their children’s education.

That means forming bridges. Welcoming.

So so sad

What's sad is the need for a parental dress code. The school has dismal graduation rates and dismal performance overall. That's the problem the new administration is attempting to address by asking parents to serve as role models for their own children.

What is sad is the lack of parental priorities.

JMO

The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Math is 51% (which is lower than the Texas state average of 75%) for the 2015-16 school year.

The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Reading/Language Arts is 41% (which is lower than the Texas state average of 71%) for the 2015-16 school year.

Madison High School Profile (2018-19) | Houston, TX

What's sad is the need for a parental dress code. The school has dismal graduation rates and dismal performance overall. That's the problem the new administration is attempting to address by asking parents to serve as role models for their own children.

What is sad is the lack of parental priorities.

JMO

The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Math is 51% (which is lower than the Texas state average of 75%) for the 2015-16 school year.

The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Reading/Language Arts is 41% (which is lower than the Texas state average of 71%) for the 2015-16 school year.

Madison High School Profile (2018-19) | Houston, TX

Having parents involved is a key. Treating parents like that does not inspire partnerships.

This approach is one of the most foolish things I have heard. You do not get people who are already feeling negative about school involved by shaming them.

At least she has clothes on which is more than I can point to for many present day successful women

I don't think this school was being unreasonable at all. They have dress codes for a reason...some kids need guidance as to what is appropriate. And I can understand them wanting to enforce the code for all who enter the school, including parents, it makes sense.

I share your support of the core concepts, but think the school went too far.

At the end of the day, the school is a public school and not a private school. As a result, they need to balance the need for basic standards for discipline with the realization that members of the public wear a wide variety clothes when entering their buildings.

If a parent can't even bother to get dressed for the day, but rolls up in the school in her night shirt, then she deserves to be sent home and told to dress properly. And so she's having a bad hair day. Don't we all sometimes? What's wrong with wearing a baseball cap over it? I know of several women who do that on a bad hair day. Some are white, some are African American, but the difference is, they show some pride in how they look.

If a parent can't even bother to get dressed for the day, but rolls up in the school in her night shirt, then she deserves to be sent home and told to dress properly. And so she's having a bad hair day. Don't we all sometimes? What's wrong with wearing a baseball cap over it? I know of several women who do that on a bad hair day. Some are white, some are African American, but the difference is, they show some pride in how they look.

A baseball cap? I think her scarf is far more appropriate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back