IA - Micalla Rettinger, 25, shot while driving home from work, Waterloo, 28 April 2019

PastTense

Reaction score
Waterloo Police say the victims in a deadly shooting over the weekend were returning home from work and weren't doing anything that would have caused them to be targeted.

Authorities say at 2:30 Sunday morning Micalla Rettinger, 25, was driving south on Highway 218 in Waterloo with two passengers, when a bullet hit the driver's window and struck her in the neck. She later died from her injuries. A passenger in the car, Adam Kimball, 32, was injured as well and is recovering at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The third person in the vehicle was not hurt.
Waterloo PD: Shooting victims driving home from work
550deb113e2e5.image.jpg

Steven Rettinger wasn't sure what pulled him out of his sleep about 3:34 a.m. Eastern time Sunday. He was in Florida, visiting his cancer-stricken father, with his family back in the Midwest.

Rettinger believes a disturbance in a bond 25 years in the making disrupted his rest. His daughter, Micalla, was shot at about that same time, near 2:30 a.m. Central time, 1,400 miles away in Waterloo, Iowa. "I must’ve woke up right when it was happening," he said Monday.
'So random and senseless': Father, university mourn woman killed while driving home

She was picking up her boyfriend from his job at a Cedar Falls bar.

I’m not sure that I can get on board with the stray bullet by a hunter theory.

1. They were traveling in the southbound lane and the bullet came into her driver’s side window. Which would mean the bullet would have had to come from her left, completely crossing the northbound lane of 218.

2. They were driving on an overpass which is elevated. The ground isnt level with the highway.

So, if both of those things are true, the bullet would have had to come from the ground up, travel across a three lane interstate to the other three lanes and still have enough force to go through her window, through her neck, and into another person’s face.

I don’t know much of anything about guns, but it doesn’t seem realistic to me

Last edited:
This is local to me....I drive this exact same road several times a month, if not more often. Seriously....this is just so crazy! How did this even happen?????

I grew up there, still have family there, and visit often. I've traveled that highway many, many times. This is terrifying! I follow a lot of local media and have been trying to understand what happened.

An interview with her boyfriend:
Kimball told NBC News it was just a “regular night coming from work.” “I'm laughing with my friend, you know, turning around in the back seat, petting the dog and then all of a sudden it was, felt like, chaos,” he said.

Kimball said he had no sense it was a bullet that flew through the car window. “I just remember like all of a sudden feeling something and looking down and I was covered in blood,” he said. Despite being injured, Kimball called 911. Turning to Rettinger after making the call, “It wasn't very long after that that I knew that that was probably the last time I would ever see her again,” he said.
Boyfriend recalls 'chaos' as apparently random bullet killed Iowa woman, then struck him

So, if both of those things are true, the bullet would have had to come from the ground up, travel across a three lane interstate to the other three lanes and still have enough force to go through her window, through her neck, and into another person’s face.

I don’t know much of anything about guns, but it doesn’t seem realistic to me

Rifles can shoot bullets a long way. Look at this Iowa story about a young boy picking apples in an apple orchard who was hit by a stray bullet from a gun range--Look at the map.
Officials: 8-year-old boy shot from gun range at apple orchard near Nashua

OT.. sorry, but this reminds me of the crazy, supposedly random shootings where I live. I’ve been getting really scared/anxious, especially sitting at traffic lights. These have been at all times of the day/night, in light & heavy traffic, driving on the interstate & stopped various places, good & bad parts of town, etc. No leads whatsoever!

Victim of random shooting asks for answers, Birmingham Police Chief responds

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back