GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what kind of towels they used? Could they have been kitchen towels? Was there a bathroom right off the garage?
All we know is that the towels were taken from a bathroom that was near the kitchen and the garage. We don’t know if this bathroom contained a shower and so there were larger towels, or if it was just a plethora of hand towels. But they did come from the Dermond home according to SS.

I have to gently disagree with those of you throwing the Dermond kids under the bus for not checking on their parents. My parents are in their upper 70s and they are constantly zipping around the world, golfing, dinnering with friends etc. I don’t check on them. Granted they are a bit younger than the Ds, but still. Also, we don’t know if perhaps Leslie or the boys maybe called the cell phones or the home phone and just didn’t stress when no one answered. Sometimes older folk don’t answer if they’re napping or watching Judge Judy or gardening or whatever. If one of the kids called on Sunday and go no response, and maybe called again on Monday, it’s possible they thought they’d try one more time on Tuesday before becoming alarmed.

RSBM

I have to gently disagree with those of you throwing the Dermond kids under the bus for not checking on their parents. My parents are in their upper 70s and they are constantly zipping around the world, golfing, dinnering with friends etc. I don’t check on them. Granted they are a bit younger than the Ds, but still. Also, we don’t know if perhaps Leslie or the boys maybe called the cell phones or the home phone and just didn’t stress when no one answered. Sometimes older folk don’t answer if they’re napping or watching Judge Judy or gardening or whatever. If one of the kids called on Sunday and go no response, and maybe called again on Monday, it’s possible they thought they’d try one more time on Tuesday before becoming alarmed.
I don't think people are necessarily throwing them under the bus for not checking daily on them (although they were nearing NINETY!), but I think it has more to do with one of the kids proclaiming that he spoke to his dad everyday, or nearly, and then to not have spoken to him from the Thursday before (same day he was seen at the grocery/pharmacy/bank)... and yet it would've become the following Wed if not having been contacted by LE to inform of their deaths sometime later in the day on the Tuesday.. that is 6 days in reality, and no indication that a well-being check was going to be requested (ie we never heard from any of them that they'd been concerned and were on the verge of contacting someone to go and pay a personal visit).. seems a long time to not talk without becoming concerned, when you are self-proclaiming that you talk every day. jmo.

I think one of two things happened, it's the only way I can come up with for the two different ways the bodies were disposed of. The perpetrators determined their DNA could be linked to both victims due to something that happened during the crime. Then they either:
1) Tried to move both bodies to water to hide evidence, but didn't realize how hard it was to move a dead body. So they took her and beheaded him.
2) They tried to behead both bodies but didn't realize how much work and how messy it was. So they disposed of her in another way.
I don't think they planned to have to have to behead or sink either one, but something went wrong and they felt evidence would point back to them. I do suspect they went there with the intention to murder, but there's always a really off chance they intended to rob an empty house and entered the wrong one from the lake and ended up murdering the D's and making a panicked exit without taking anything.

Do we know what kind of towels they used? Could they have been kitchen towels? Was there a bathroom right off the garage?
yes, I think one of the PC said they came from the bathroom and that there was one between garage and kitchen, assuming larger (you know what they say about *advertiser censored* u me lol, but since there was so much blood, I think there's a laundry room possibly adjoining the bathroom ? Dont quote me on that part

so they must have gotten the towels before the beheading otherwise there would be bloody footprints but the house was spotless
depends on WHO entered and which direction they went around the cars to the door, there was no bloody footprints anywhere, that we know of anyway, which suprised me too........

I think one of two things happened, it's the only way I can come up with for the two different ways the bodies were disposed of. The perpetrators determined their DNA could be linked to both victims due to something that happened during the crime. Then they either:
1) Tried to move both bodies to water to hide evidence, but didn't realize how hard it was to move a dead body. So they took her and beheaded him.
2) They tried to behead both bodies but didn't realize how much work and how messy it was. So they disposed of her in another way.
I don't think they planned to have to have to behead or sink either one, but something went wrong and they felt evidence would point back to them. I do suspect they went there with the intention to murder, but there's always a really off chance they intended to rob an empty house and entered the wrong one from the lake and ended up murdering the D's and making a panicked exit without taking anything.
Would there be a reason to take his head if they had planned to just dispose of them both in the lake?

But I think like you, something went wrong, thats why they had to find towels and I am of the notion that she had too much evidence on her to be able to leave behind like kay74 said,,,,,,,,,but if his mouth was full of the perps dna, if he bit him, they had to take the head, even sinking him, maybe they just couldnt carry him so easily so just beheaded but I think it had to be done due to some mishap

when nothing is missing from the home.............usually someone close and people dont just disappear.

ANd you dont need to be worth 5 million dollars to be knocked off by someone......thougth a rough estimate of the D's would probably be 2-3 million?

and this reminds me..........they were SO PRIVATE the family said, so no one outside of the children would know what they were worth

Poor brad could only stutter he was so upset about the televised interview.........FOUR YEARS after their death, their first "plea" so to speak

PSSSH

[/QUOTE]
Agree. As earlier discussion pointed out, 5 days for a wellness check is just crazy when you have elderly parents. I speak to my mom, who is only 73, daily and if I don’t hear from her within 24 hours and I fail to reach her other ways and still no response, I have a neighbor go check on her.

Of course we don’t have the Dermonds phone records, that at least would indicate that one or more of the kids were calling on a regular basis, with increasing frequency perhaps as worry set in.

Life goes on, Dad was beheaded and Mom dumped in a lake, oh well, la-di-da.

Wonder if the Dermond kids are related to the Bob Harrod’s kids.

Last edited:
They weren't busy traveling, the family claimed they spoke daily or often to them................my kids dont contact me daily but if they cant reach me, they question their siblings.......and Im not elderly

BUT, fwiw, SS says they passed poly's........so there's that

for now anyway

All we know is that the towels were taken from a bathroom that was near the kitchen and the garage. We don’t know if this bathroom contained a shower and so there were larger towels, or if it was just a plethora of hand towels. But they did come from the Dermond home according to SS.

I guess all families do whatever feels right for them at the time, and based on the deceased's wishes, etc. But given that this couple was so elderly (so for them, one might presume a service would have been something they would have expected to take place for them upon their deaths), and the nature of their previous businesses, throughout the course of their lives they would have made SO many acquaintances and connections and friends, employees, biz associates, etc..

I'd say maybe they didn't *have* a lot of 'friends' left, given their elderly ages.. but in the Ds' case, there were probably many people who may have wished to extend their condolences to 'one another', if not also to the family themselves.. and if not also to 'pay their last respects' during a memorial service.

It seems like funeral services aren't *just* for the family, but also for those that knew them.. I am having trouble articulating what my point is here!! Say the fam was super private and didn't care about receiving the condolences of anyone connected with their parents, outside of their immediate fam.. that's fine and understandable.. but sometimes in life we have to do things that we don't personally necessarily relish doing, in consideration of others, perhaps.

So we have a church who holds some kind of a service.. but it's not attended by the family.. and then the family, whatever they happened to do (nothing perhaps?) was completely private. The Ds would have had friends, associates, aquaintences, etc., from different areas, such as perhaps NJ, Atlanta, Putnam County, etc.. seems odd that all of those people would not have been able to express their condolences, or chat about their memories, 'the good old days, touch base with one another, or whatever.. (celebration of life, type of thing?)..

Also, don't police often utilize the funeral/memorial service to kind of have a look around at who attends, etc... it almost seems like perhaps there may have been another potential tool that was missed by police (not by choice), since there was no real opportunity for police to observe certain aspects..

All jmo.

Well said, deugirtni!

A podcast about Bob Harrod

It's remarkable the parallels in this case compared to the D's!!

I would have suspected the children first, the crazy lady who borrowed 86k from him just so she didnt have to pay it back, as he begun requesting so but it doestn sound like much but she was a suspect too and some people will do anything. She was later cleared

THe new wife was suspect but I realized that her name was not on anything, even though a wife usually automatically gets half, in this case, the children won their fight to keep her out of the inheritance...........she did it too early if that was her plan though, nothing had been transferred as was his plan

Yeah the son in law was there doing repairs, hmmm? So between him saying he had to go to lowes or something, everyone was gone before the maid showed up within a few hours max. Door locked so she couldnt gain entry as Im sure they knew she was to be arriving before they returned........was there time for son in law to clean up? He arrived home alone but no Bob........Did the maid get to clean up at all? IDK....

So as Hockeyguy has been saying, nothing to trace because all those family prints are already there anyway

Nothing disturbed in house, nothing stolen, no appearances of forced entry or struggle, he walked out with his keys and wallet...........he got in the car with someone, probably the son in law, upon the daughters request is how it looks

The daughter sounded so nice, who would suspect HER? Yeah con artists and psychos are nice too, thats how they roll.

And odd it happened the day after the family discussion in regards to his money and new wife

There was a trust..........who gets the trust?

Hmm, if its family that's why nothing suspicious was seen

I didnt remember all the details of this case

THis is astounding, thanks whoever brought this up!!

Last edited:

Anyone else familiar with Statement analysis? Im no expert but I try

I noticed here, the daughter said "we're ho...anticipating, he'll show up"

she stopped and didnt say HOPING instead used anticipating............

did she NOT HOPE he'd show up?

SHe did use the word hopefully but it seemed to distance HER from personally hoping he showed up......???IDK

Lots of unusual things were said in the D's case by son KD and on top of the odd things said...................NOTHING was said or done to plea for their missing mother before she was discovered, ......KD said he hoped she was dead so she wouldnt suffer, but as an analyst told me, no one knew for sure she was suffering, she could have been just distraught and missing. To add insult to injury, KD said she wouldnt have wanted to live without RD anyway.........

Was justice served in this case?

But they passed the polygraph,............

Last edited:
They weren't busy traveling, the family claimed they spoke daily or often to them................my kids dont contact me daily but if they cant reach me, they question their siblings.......and Im not elderly

BUT, fwiw, SS says they passed poly's........so there's that

for now anyway

Could a person be hypnotized so he/she could pass a polygraph?

Just wondering...

I would totally agree with you, as I think many would, if it weren’t for the fact that SS is certain, he has said repeatedly, that the murder of Shirley (and probably RD, as well) did not go down in the house. Her skull was not only shattered, but breached, and she was bludgeoned multiple times (at least two). This kind of blow would have caused major blood spatter, and none was found whatsoever. There’s always the chance that SS is lying about this, but it seem very unlikely to me. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288