WA WA - Tyler Christensen, 16, Mukilteo, 19 April 2016

Tyler's case is heartbreaking. The family has suffered so much. I very much hope he's alive and well somewhere, and will contact his family or LE to let his family know he's ok. They desperately need closure.

Let me get this right...
Tyler went missing and most likely took his own life.
Emily (Tyler's sister) died shortly after Tyler's 19th birthday and it's assumed she took her own life too.

<modsnip - not victim friendly> Is there any other missing children or deaths related to this religious church group they're involved in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this right...
Tyler went missing and most likely took his own life.
Emily (Tyler's sister) died shortly after Tyler's 19th birthday and it's assumed she took her own life too.

<modsnip - not victim friendly >. Is there any other missing children or deaths related to this religious church group they're involved in?

<modsnip - references info in quoted post which is now snipped > There have been rumors about why he left, and if he jumped off that bridge near where his pack was found or if he wanted to start over somewhere fresh, but nothing concrete. I know he was very close to his sisters, especially Emily. I haven't seen any direct public comments about her COD but like you said it's been implied suicide, and I'm assuming at least partly from grief over Tyler. He is the only boy with 4 sisters so his absence must leave a huge gulf.

<modsnip - referencing snipped info>

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought at some point it was possible Tyler walked away to start a new life. But with the death of his sister, Emily, I no longer believe that. IMHOO, I think if he were alive, he would've surfaced for the funeral. How painful it must've been to Emily to lose her brother, and how heartwrenching that the family has lost two so young :(

I had thought at some point it was possible Tyler walked away to start a new life. But with the death of his sister, Emily, I no longer believe that. IMHOO, I think if he were alive, he would've surfaced for the funeral. How painful it must've been to Emily to lose her brother, and how heartwrenching that the family has lost two so young :(

I've been feeling the opposite. If Tyler was alive and well and found out about his sister's death, speculating that it was at least in part over grief from his disappearance, the guilt might keep him from ever coming back. He might not have known how to show up at the funeral or face his family. I just hope if he's out there he finds a way to get in touch to let them know he's alive.

That's a great video. It's a long distance away from Mukilteo, though. If he wanted to jump off a bridge, there are certainly closer bridges to choose from. Hmm...

Deception Pass comes to mind. It has a pretty high frequency of jumpers. He may have thought that taking the ferry and traveling the peninsula would give him more time, more cover, less likelihood of being thwarted by LE. If he were to hop a bus or hitch up I-5, it would have been much easier to track him quickly. But I think that looking at teenage boy's plan for suicide from a logical or practical perspective is a futile effort. Whether he left to start a new life or to end it, I think there was some specific reason he wanted to get to the Olympic National Forest - maybe it had meaning for him.

Deception Pass comes to mind. It has a pretty high frequency of jumpers. He may have thought that taking the ferry and traveling the peninsula would give him more time, more cover, less likelihood of being thwarted by LE. If he were to hop a bus or hitch up I-5, it would have been much easier to track him quickly. But I think that looking at teenage boy's plan for suicide from a logical or practical perspective is a futile effort. Whether he left to start a new life or to end it, I think there was some specific reason he wanted to get to the Olympic National Forest - maybe it had meaning for him.
When Tyler's backpack was located and the fact that he kept his ferry and food receipts told me that he wanted his family to know where his life ended. MOO

2019 marked 5 fatalities at or near the High Steel Bridge above the South Fork of the Skokomish River near Shelton --forcing the Mason County Sheriff’s Office to heighten enforcement of trespassing laws. Perhaps it's a coincidence but I'm
recalling that April represents many deaths there.

Sheriff's Office says it will crack down on High Steel Bridge trespassing

August 6, 2019

High Steel Bridge sits at 365 feet, making it the highest railway arch bridge built in the United States.

"At the bottom of the 400-foot canyon is a swift river," which endangers hikers and later puts rescue crews at risk, Severance said. “It puts everyone in harm's way."

The sheriff’s office has also spent federal dollars to deploy air support in several rescue missions.

"Now, we're trying to be proactive," Severance said.

42f7174a-ca5a-4932-ade4-9b5f0c4107b1-navy_copter.png

A Navy helicopter works a search mission for a hiker missing near the High Steel Bridge. (Photo: Contributed/ Mason County Sheriff)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back