MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

I don't think anyone else does either. Barnette is still employed there.
<snip>
Sgt. Barnett’s testimony concerned us a lot. Her general demeanor during the trial. She had told (Homicide Lt. Rick Zimmerman) that Justine was probably a drunk or a drug addict or crackhead or something along those lines. To make that comment about something where you don’t know what happened. And the whole drama with the public safety statement. Did she take it or did she not take it? She said she got it from Harrity, and then Harrity said he never talked to her after the initial conversation that was caught on body cam. There was just a whole bunch of mess on that end. We were concerned about that. <snip>
Juror reflects on Noor verdict
She REALLY needs to go (for starters) IMO.

Just saw that council announced this...wow...fast but this speaks to how they need to get this out of the news. Good for the family and I hope life gets easier for this impressive family.

$20 million would be so meaningless to me, if my daughter had been killed. I would give it away, set up scholarships.

If money can solve all of your issues, you really don't have any problems at all.

But the large amount, and speed of settlement, says that the city doesn't want ANY further investigation. <modnsipped unnecessary comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
$20 million would be so meaningless to me, if my daughter had been killed. I would give it away, set up scholarships.

If money can solve all of your issues, you really don't have any problems at all.

But the large amount, and speed of settlement, says that the city doesn't want ANY further investigation. Which makes me wonder about any other Somalian police officers currently on the force...

In wrongful death cases like this one, of course all the money in the world won't bring that person back, but it does send a message and it is the only way, in our society to try and right a wrong that has been done to a loved one.

The MPD is corrupt thru and thru IMO with that witch Barnette being one of the worst; she should be fired pronto: she is the reason the police got a warrant to go
thru Justine's apartment with her comments that Justine, who was laying in the alley, dying, that she was probably a druggie or crackhead. I think she is also the person who said that there was a slap on the police vehicle and released the police vehicle without a thorough examination of it. she is vile.

Just saw that council announced this...wow...fast but this speaks to how they need to get this out of the news. Good for the family and I hope life gets easier for this impressive family.

Now a precedence has been set and hopefully this will bring reform and it should never ever happen again to an innocence person.
All the money won’t bring their Justine back.

The city of Minneapolis will pay more than $28 million ($20 million USD) to the family of an unarmed woman fatally shot by a police officer when she approached his squad car after calling 911 to report a possible crime.

Mayor Jacob Frey and City Council members detailed the settlement just three days after a jury convicted Mohamed Noor of murder and manslaughter in the death of Justine Ruszczyk.
Record payout for family of slain Aussie

"This is not a victory for anyone, but rather a way for our city to move forward," he said.

"I do believe that we will move forward together, united in the shared belief that such a tragedy should never occur in our city."

Bob Bennett, the attorney for Ruszczyk's family, called the settlement amount "transformational" and said it "serves as a marker for future transgressions."

He rejected the suggestion that Noor's conviction sped up a settlement, but he noted that Noor's testimony appeared to strengthen the civil claim.

"He didn't see a threat," Bennett said.
Record payout for family of slain Aussie

So, part of the terms of the settlement are to donate $2,000,000 towards addressing gun violence. Something I feel sure that Justine's family would have readily agreed to, and something they may have instigated.

This is just hitting all the Aussie MSM now, as we awake to start the day.

The settlement — believed to be the largest stemming from police violence in the state of Minnesota, and roughly four to five times as large as any settlement paid out in recent years — calls for Damond Ruszczyk's family to donate $2 million to a local foundation's fund aimed at addressing gun violence.
Minneapolis pays $US20m to family of Australian woman murdered by cop

Last edited:
This settlement may quash any thought of an appeal on Noor's conviction, don't you think?
The city has basically admitted culpability ... on his behalf. imo

BBM
Ms Ruszczyk’s family had originally sued the city for $US50m alleging a raft of failings by the Minneapolis Police Department and by the former policemen Mr Noor and his partner on that night, Matthew Harrity.

The civil suit, which required a lesser standard of proof than a criminal trial, claimed Mr Noor and his partner conspired to cover up evidence by not turning on their body-worn cameras and later hiding behind a “blue wall of silence.”

It alleged the police department failed to properly train officers Mr Noor and Mr Harrity, giving them only one psychological test and putting them onto the streets when they were just ‘inexperienced officers who appear, by their conduct, unfit for duty.’

Others named in the civil complaint include former police chief Janet Harteau the then assistant police chief Medaria Arrandondo as well as the City of Minneapolis.

NoCookies | The Australian

Last edited:
Ms Damond's father, John Ruszczyk, and brother Jason are satisfied with the payment because it would be "transformational" in forcing change to policing in the US city, the family's lawyer says.

"Quiet satisfaction," the family's Minneapolis lawyer Bob Bennett said in describing the Ruszczyks' reaction to the settlement.
"I think they achieved the goals of both getting an amount that is undeniably significant and undeniably transformational."
Justine Damond's family gets record multi-million dollar payout

So, part of the terms of the settlement are to donate $2,000,000 towards addressing gun violence. Something I feel sure that Justine's family would have readily agreed to, and something they may have instigated.

This is just hitting all the Aussie MSM now, as we awake to start the day.

The settlement — believed to be the largest stemming from police violence in the state of Minnesota, and roughly four to five times as large as any settlement paid out in recent years — calls for Damond Ruszczyk's family to donate $2 million to a local foundation's fund aimed at addressing gun violence.
Minneapolis pays $US20m to family of Australian woman murdered by cop

Actually, it almost seems like a slap in the face. Like a backhanded blackmail. If the city wants to donate money to the foundation, they should do so, not hamstring a grieving family to donate to a charity stipulated by the city whose policies indirectly killed Justine.

More about the foundation...
Discover the Networks | Minneapolis Foundation (MF)

Actually, it almost seems like a slap in the face. Like a backhanded blackmail. If the city wants to donate money to the foundation, they should do so, not hamstring a grieving family to donate to a charity stipulated by the city whose policies indirectly killed Justine.

I was thinking that perhaps Justine's family put that clause in the lawsuit. Perhaps 10% of the lawsuit was to go towards steps to quell gun violence. US gun violence is a frustrating issue for most Aussies, as we watch and hear about more and more victims - especially children - losing their lives to it.
(Not going to get onto that topic, just wanted to provide a reason for my thinking.)

To let everyone know, publicly and upfront, that they want something done about the gun violence and are willing to throw the city's money at the problem .... as the city does not appear to be doing it themselves.

Last edited:
I was thinking that perhaps Justine's family put that clause in the lawsuit. Perhaps 10% of the lawsuit was to go towards steps to quell gun violence. US gun violence is a frustrating issue for most Aussies, as we watch and hear about more and more victims - especially children - losing their lives to it.
(Not going to get onto that topic, just wanted to provide a reason for my thinking.)

To let everyone know, publicly and upfront, that they want something done about the gun violence and are willing to throw the city's money at the problem .... as the city does not appear to be doing it themselves.

But if you read about the foundation, it is actually not about reducing gun violence. That is one small part...

I think you are right about the city throwing that clause in there and how the money may be used ... on reading further I have noticed this. The Star Tribune seems to tell it how it is, in most of their articles.

City Council Member Jeremiah Ellison said the donation to the Minneapolis Foundation was a priority for the city, and the charity will take direct input from other victims of police violence on how to use that money.
Minneapolis agrees to pay $20 million in death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond

Also ...

The next morning, city officials began two days of mediation with the Ruszczyk family over the lawsuit. Though none involved would discuss those negotiations, Bennett characterized the meetings as "protracted, long days." They agreed on the dollar figure Thursday around 8 p.m., Bennett said.
"It was a struggle to arrive at, but people exhibited some compromise and some courage," he said.

Last edited:
If the good things we have heard about Justine aren't enough .....

When a close friend struggled to fall pregnant, Jay Peterson said Damond donated some of her own eggs to help. "That's just the kind of person Justine was," he said.
"She Didn't Deserve This To Happen"

RIP dear lady. Maybe your beautiful genes will carry on in a child.

Pretty sure that the answer to how many shots were fired is behind that blue wall of silence.

Maybe one day we will find out. But for now, the city needs to calm the situation right down. The police still have to do their jobs and maintain law and order the best they can. Let's just hope that a big lesson has been learned to proceed with great caution in the future.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that the answer to how many shots were fired is behind that blue wall of silence.

Maybe one day we will find out. But for now, the city needs to calm the situation right down. The police still have to do their jobs and maintain law and order the best they can. Let's just hope that a big lesson has been learned to proceed with great caution in the future.

I’ll bet the farm that a high majority of cops totally object to what happen. The good cops outweigh the bad ones, unfortunately you only hear of the wrong doings.
What would we do without our police force.

I’ll bet the farm that a high majority of cops totally object to what happen. The good cops outweigh the bad ones, unfortunately you only hear of the wrong doings.
What would we do without our police force.

I agree with you: most police officers are good, decent, and went into law enforcement for a noble purpose. However, there are always bad apples in the barrel and they can infect an otherwise good police force. i am sure the good officers knew that Noor was not fit for the job but if they complained or went to his supervisors, there would be hell to pay - the blue wall lives---- so Noor was allowed to continue to be a cop - it was probably a matter of time before some innocent person paid for his incompetence--

then you have the really bad cops like Barnette- to me she is just evil---she probably won't lose her job- though she should. She is the one, IMO who choregraphed the cover up right from the get go- along with a few others, like the cop who told Noor to shut up and don't say anything.

The MPD has lots of work to do to become respectable-right now they are in chaos.

But the large amount, and speed of settlement, says that the city doesn't want ANY further investigation. <modnsipped unnecessary comment>
In this particular case I don't think the family ever expected the money to "solve" any problems...but that is a nice chunk of change to put toward some projects that Justine was interested in. Only have an limited idea about her but they will not have any problem finding such investments in humanity. Also this entire 2 year ordeal and trips back and forth from Australia etc. and loss of income at home...well the money is very justly deserved and the speed is such a statement on Minneapolis Police etc. They knew this was on the horizon and are just hoping this all fades into the quiet night...I hope it will not.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back