Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's heartbreaking': Mourners line up to pay respects to Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund

Hundreds attend visitation for 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy

Hundreds of people lined the sidewalk and wound through Davenport Family Funeral Home Friday as a public visitation was held for 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund.

Many mourners dressed in blue, or wore blue pins and ribbons, in honor of the boy. Blue ribbons were wrapped around trees along Route 176/Terra Cotta Avenue and in nearby neighborhoods. Memorial signs bearing AJ’s face were placed around the area.

People of all ages came to pay respects, many crying as they walked away from the funeral home. Visitors expressed shock, hurt and sadness over the situation.

Johnsburg resident and mother of three Jodi Hensley attended the visitation to pay respects to the child whose story she has been following since day one, when his parents, who are now charged with his death, reported him missing, she said.

"I feel like [the story] is part of me, as a mother," Hensley said.

She described her experience at the visitation as "horrible" and said the questions surrounding the boy's short life haunt her.

"How can you do that to your child?" Hensley said. "I have been wondering this whole time what kind of stuff he had been through. Did he ever feel real love?"

Visitors remained steady throughout the day and early evening at the funeral home, 419 E. Terra Cotta Ave./Route 176.

AJ died April 15. His obituary described himas a loving, affectionate and outgoing little boy, whose smile could light up a room.

A Crystal Lake police officer stood watch over the small casket as mourners walked through the building. Some stopped to sign visitor books or pet the Golden retriever support dogs that were present throughout the procession. Others dropped off balloons, cards, flowers and small toys.

Johnsburg resident James Stapleton said he wanted to show AJ the love he had missed out while he was alive.

"If he is looking down, I don't want him to think everyone is like his parents," Stapleton said. "They are monsters."

He added that his youngest daughter died in October, and he has grandchildren that are the same age as AJ was, which made the situation even more difficult to emotionally handle.

~snip

More at link:
'It's heartbreaking': Mourners line up to pay respects to Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund | Northwest Herald

A very young child’s body can only take so much and overtime the wounds were compounded by the repeated attacks. I’m sure the complete autopsy will reveal bone fractures, burns, bruises and cuts in various stages of healing, head injuries, internal injuries. Any one could figure out a human would die after enduring repeated abuse. This wasn’t an accidentally death. He was beaten to death following years of torture.

Again, the autopsy will reveal so much more. Thus far we’ve heard skul/brain injuries as cod. 99.9% of us could see he had skull injuries in the home barber photos, the day JC felt blessed. Bet she did, because he lived thru a massive assault. He was still breathing. Meaning she was not going to jail.

They poured boiling water on him, beat him within in an inch of his life for going potty in his bed, inflicted numerous black eyes and large bodily bruises. All of this in the years leading up to his death, did they “mean” to kill him? Well, they certainly didn’t mean not to. A very young child’s body can only take so much and overtime the wounds were compounded by the repeated attacks. I’m sure the complete autopsy will reveal bone fractures, burns, bruises and cuts in various stages of healing, head injuries, internal injuries. Any one could figure out a human would die after enduring repeated abuse. This wasn’t an accidentally death. He was beaten to death following years of torture.

I understand you want to believe it was an accident in some heat of the moment argument because it’s very hard to understand how parents could hate a sweet little boy this much but they did. They hated him and he was literally their whipping boy who they blamed for all their own failings. They not only beat him to death...they enjoyed it. It made them feel powerful and they truly convinced themselves he deserved it. They probably still think he did.

I am not defending them. I’ve said this several times. It all ended up in death, but when you’re on drugs...you’re not thinking long term damage.

why tell a 3-4 year old that?

P probably heard AJ wailing in pain, the yelling & screaming, and kept asking where AJ was. So she told him AJ had owies. Which was true.
As far as the stairs, maybe she let him out of his room & told him to go down the stairs & he could not, due to mobility or neurological issues, so she shoved him.
Idk how his brain could properly function after 03-04, looking at his skull in haircut photos, there’s a lot of swelling & distortion. His head was not shaped like that in previous photos.

This breaks my heart so much. I’m not sure if I’m having a depressing time or if this is normal for me to hurt so much. I don’t think I’ve hurt so much over a child before and I’m constantly looking for updates and I’ve never done that before either. If this isn’t normal please let me know, I’ve just had a baby within the last year and I’ve had some depression. This is really hitting me hard.
It’s perfectly normal. You have a heart and you love your child. We’re all hurting for AJ. Try to take some time off from reading. Unfortunately this isn’t the last child we’ll be hearing about. It doesn’t get any easier. If you weren’t upset THAT would be abnormal.

Last edited:
I am not defending them. I’ve said this several times. It all ended up in death, but when you’re on drugs...you’re not thinking long term damage.

I think Drew had a better grip on sobriety & might have enjoyed CJ’s struggles & WD. I just see something very perverse with these two. Their entire relationship, aside from the age dif’, that doesn’t bother me, I see many couples with 20-30 year age dif.

If he’s the dad of the unborn baby, he’s gonna want in on custody, just wait.
I hope not, it would be nice for someone to do the right thing for the kids and to keep the remaining little ones together. I've also been concerned about it, especially if he thinks that custody would allow him access to some of the money from the fundraiser. MOO

I think Drew had a better grip on sobriety & might have enjoyed CJ’s struggles & WD. I just see something very perverse with these two. Their entire relationship, aside from the age dif’, that doesn’t bother me, I see many couples with 20-30 year age dif.

I thought I read that he moved into her ex husbands house with her once and they destroyed it. He had his own house, why go to her exes? Also, letting her live at his house still being pregnant with another’s child baby while abusing his son seems so odd to me, she had no control of him and he could’ve kicked her out and if he didn’t harm their son took her to court and got full custody. Letting a house get that disgusting is disturbing as well.

I’ll never understand why people like these two even have children. Did she delude herself into thinking she actually wanted children? Was she too high or too lazy to use birth control? To hold on to a man?
I just don’t get it.

They poured boiling water on him, beat him within in an inch of his life for going potty in his bed, inflicted numerous black eyes and large bodily bruises. All of this in the years leading up to his death, did they “mean” to kill him? Well, they certainly didn’t mean not to. A very young child’s body can only take so much and overtime the wounds were compounded by the repeated attacks. I’m sure the complete autopsy will reveal bone fractures, burns, bruises and cuts in various stages of healing, head injuries, internal injuries. Any one could figure out a human would die after enduring repeated abuse. This wasn’t an accidentally death. He was beaten to death following years of torture.

I understand you want to believe it was an accident in some heat of the moment argument because it’s very hard to understand how parents could hate a sweet little boy this much but they did. They hated him and he was literally their whipping boy who they blamed for all their own failings. They not only beat him to death...they enjoyed it. It made them feel powerful and they truly convinced themselves he deserved it. They probably still think he did.

Well said @RainCheck! I concur.

MOO

'It's heartbreaking': Mourners line up to pay respects to Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund
By BRITTANY KEEPERMAN

Hundreds of people lined the sidewalk and wound through Davenport Family Funeral Home Friday as a public visitation was held for 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund.

Many mourners dressed in blue, or wore blue pins and ribbons, in honor of the boy. Blue ribbons were wrapped around trees along Route 176/Terra Cotta Avenue and in nearby neighborhoods. Memorial signs bearing AJ’s face were placed around the area.

Visitors remained steady throughout the day and early evening at the funeral home, 419 E. Terra Cotta Ave./Route 176.

A Crystal Lake police officer stood watch over the small casket as mourners walked through the building. Some stopped to sign visitor books or pet the Golden retriever support dogs that were present throughout the procession. Others dropped off balloons, cards, flowers and small toys.

Ushers inside handed out a memory cards that showed a picture of AJ in a Chicago Cubs baseball cap and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles T-Shirt.

'It's heartbreaking': Mourners line up to pay respects to Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund | Northwest Herald

I hope not, it would be nice for someone to do the right thing for the kids and to keep the remaining little ones together. I've also been concerned about it, especially if he thinks that custody would allow him access to some of the money from the fundraiser. MOO

I might be the only one who thinks this but for P to be so young and this new baby, adoption might be in their best full interest. Hopefully together, but their lives will be forever traumatized if they know what their parents did.

I’ll never understand why people like these two even have children. Did she delude herself into thinking she actually wanted children? Was she too high or too lazy to use birth control? To hold on to a man?
I just don’t get it.
I imagine they have them because they get government assistance for each one.

'It's heartbreaking': Mourners line up to pay respects to Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund
By BRITTANY KEEPERMAN

Ushers inside handed out a memory cards that showed a picture of AJ in a Chicago Cubs baseball cap and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles T-Shirt.

I had a very hard time today. As did everyone else there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48