GUILTY CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this -- it has info about a "Rule 35c " which is not an appeal, but similar --

Triple-Murderer Chris Watts Wishes He Would Have 'Handled Things Differently': Family Friend
By Steve Helling May 03, 2019 03:03 PM
Chris Watts, the Colorado man who murdered his pregnant wife and two young daughters, sits in a Wisconsin prison on 23-hour lockdown.

For one hour a day, he gets out of his cell for showers and exercise. For the past 40 days, his time out was staggered so that he didn’t interact with other prisoners. He remains in the evaluation unit of the prison.
[...]

There is a chance that Watts could challenge his case under a very specific law known as Rule 35c.
In the Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure, Rule 35c provides defendants with an opportunity to challenge their conviction and sentence. Because a 35c challenge is slightly different than an appeal, a defendant can raise questions about his conviction even if he has pleaded guilty.

Under Rule 35c, Watts must either prove that there is new evidence, or that his conviction was somehow unconstitutional.
[...]
Triple-Murderer Chris Watts Wishes He Would Have 'Handled Things Differently': Family Friend

colored red by me

Last edited:
Just saw this -- it has info about a "Rule 35c " which is not an appeal, but similar --

Chris Watts, the Colorado man who murdered his pregnant wife and two young daughters, sits in a Wisconsin prison on 23-hour lockdown.

For one hour a day, he gets out of his cell for showers and exercise. For the past 40 days, his time out was staggered so that he didn’t interact with other prisoners. He remains in the evaluation unit of the prison.
[...]

There is a chance that Watts could challenge his case under a very specific law known as Rule 35c.
In the Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure, Rule 35c provides defendants with an opportunity to challenge their conviction and sentence. Because a 35c challenge is slightly different than an appeal, a defendant can raise questions about his conviction even if he has pleaded guilty.

Under Rule 35c, Watts must either prove that there is new evidence, or that his conviction was somehow unconstitutional.
[...]

colored red by me

How strange. He does not like 23 hours in a cell. Bummer!

Here's a bit more about Colorado's Rule 35c --
Getting "Post-conviction Relief" in Denver, Colorado
Colorado Rule of Criminal Procedure 35(c)

People convicted of crimes in Colorado can pursue post-conviction relief in an attempt to vacate their verdicts or sentences. Also called 35(c) motions, petitions for post-conviction relief spell out to the court all the ways that the defendant was denied his/her constitutional rights to a fair trial and sentence.
After a conviction, the defendant has a limited time to file a post-conviction relief motion in Colorado. The time bar depends on the type of offense he/she was adjudged guilty of.

If the court grants a defendant's 35(c) motion, the judgment may be set aside and/or the sentence may be lessened or lifted altogether.

---------------------------------
"Post-conviction Relief" in Colorado criminal cases (Rule 35c)

FYI --- Colorado 1st Degree Murder is a "Class 1 felony," which is mentioned above.

[...]

[...]

colored red by me
I dont get how someone that pleaded guilty could claim "new evidence". Scott Reisch said the only avenue would be "ineffective counsel" . but that all attorney client privilege is erased in that case, between cw and his previous attorneys, they could be compelled to testify about the 100 times they asked him if he was sure he wanted to plead guilty, he said he told his previous attorneys all about the murders. Oh yeah, "Kim". Lol, busy little bee.

Last edited:
Poor guy -- he deserves better treatment -- I mean he is a Narcissist, after all, and they must be treated better than anyone else because they are, ya know.
We can't believe a word he says, but he did say that his attorneys said they would take it all the way for him, it was he who decided not to.

Here is a bit more detail on the grounds for a Rule35:

2. What are the grounds for post-conviction relief?

Seven common grounds for post-conviction relief under 35(c) include

1. The defendant was illegally convicted or sentenced;
  2. The law under which the defendant was convicted is illegal;
  3. The defendant's conduct was legal;
  4. The court did not have authority ("jurisdiction") over the case;
  5. There is new evidence of "material facts" that could not have been reasonably discovered prior to the conviction;
  6. The sentenced has already been fully served, or there has been an unlawful revocation of parole, probation, and/or conditional release; and/or
  7. Other grounds (called "collateral attacks") such as ineffective assistance of counsel or prosecutorial misconduct.
-------------------------------------​
I guess it's the only piece of fruit left hanging from the tree. Ya grab whatcha can.

Last edited:
T
Here is a bit more detail on the grounds for a Rule35:

2. What are the grounds for post-conviction relief?

Seven common grounds for post-conviction relief under 35(c) include

1. The defendant was illegally convicted or sentenced;
  2. The law under which the defendant was convicted is illegal;
  3. The defendant's conduct was legal;
  4. The court did not have authority ("jurisdiction") over the case;
  5. There is new evidence of "material facts" that could not have been reasonably discovered prior to the conviction;
  6. The sentenced has already been fully served, or there has been an unlawful revocation of parole, probation, and/or conditional release; and/or
  7. Other grounds (called "collateral attacks") such as ineffective assistance of counsel or prosecutorial misconduct.
I guess it's the only piece of fruit left hanging from the tree. Ya grab whatcha can.
Thanks for looking up all of that. It has given me a sick stomach. Didn't we hear before that there was an actual time limit for those claims and that time had expired?

I guess gazing creepily at photos of his family on the wall is just part of the facade.

Seems to me that when you've got a "know it all" guy in the room -- a guy willing to talk-talk-talk, a reprehensible crime that is definitely a DP offense, you make damm sure you are double-covering all the bases, making sure his words are not muffled and the volume is solid, you probably ask him the same questions in different ways just to be sure he understands the questions, etc., etc., etc. These guys have seen it all, and they know what they're doing, and, believe it or not, they are indeed smarter that he is by miles.
And when he confessed, they certainly were aware of Rule35, and they made sure they could back it all up with proper procedure.

IMHO, Mr. I-don't-like-it-here is ******.

So if the judge gives him "post conviction relief" he will probably qualify for new public defenders? He would just need someone like Reisch +150k to get the ball rolling, from then on if it gets by the judge it would all be paid for through tax dollars of the ppl of CO?

IIRC he brought it up himself, trying to put out an alternate way she could have escaped or that someone took her. He mentioned it would have been possible since there were no cameras there. (In one of the porch interviews).
Also interesting that he told them that he knew there were no cameras there -- could this suggest prior planning perhaps? That little statement would certainly prick up my ears -- "no cameras there," huh? Hmmmm.
Idiot.

It sounds to me like one of his relatives is throwing out bait for a lawyer, maybe an effort towards a modern "go fund the murderer" social media campaign. Are there enough in the cw cult to dig up 150k to get the ball rolling, or some CO attorney willing to go just for fame?

Anyway if he does get a trial poor miss "they're so leeeetle" will be rounded up.

It sounds to me like one of his relatives is throwing out bait for a lawyer, maybe a modern effort to get the initial push crowd funded by the cw cult. Are there enough of them to dig up 150k to get the ball rolling, or some CO attorney willing to go just for fame?

Anyway if he does get a trial poor miss "they're so leeeetle" will be rounded up.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on, He will never ever get in front of a judge.....doesn't matter MOO

denied.....denied ......denied

Don't have an exact time frame but more discovery is due to be released.

I saw this mentioned
This would be pretty big news and I'm not seeing it anywhere. Do you have a link? TIA, MOO
I saw it on a you tube video several times but now I can't find it.

Tonight a channel on you tube said the authorities have tons of information that has not come out.

JMO but wasn't CW complaining at his last interview that he hadn't had a chance to talk to NK?!? He said his lawyers tried to contact her and he keeps checking his mail hoping she is trying to contact him using an assumed name. I think this is a way for the to get NK to contact him. NK is still all he cares about! Maybe he thinks/hopes that she will because she might be worried about what he will say about her. I still think he took the plea deal so quickly, so he could protect her! But then again, it just could be that the just wants more of the attention he craves!!

It sounds to me like one of his relatives is throwing out bait for a lawyer, maybe an effort towards a modern "go fund the murderer" social media campaign. Are there enough in the cw cult to dig up 150k to get the ball rolling, or some CO attorney willing to go just for fame?

Your last sentence put a smile on my face. I would actually enjoy listening to her getting grilled and not being able to say anything but yes, or no. Unfortunately, I don't think she'd be any kind of asset for the prosecution, and I don't want to see him ever get out of prison. He needs to pay for his crimes, and society also needs to be protected from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak