GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new to this case.
1) LE will have one or more prime suspects
2) they don't have enough evidence to make an arrest
3) the only thing they are looking for is a specific link or piece of evidence or a slip up to arrest these individuals
4) they will keep one or two pieces of evidence that they will never release
5) unless someone comes on here who knows these individuals, there is nothing we can give them to help them.
Jimmy

Jmho

Last edited:
'I remember it all quite vividly:' Putnam County sheriff speaks on 2014 unsolved murder of elderly Lake Oconee couple

'I remember it all quite vividly:' Putnam County sheriff speaks on 2014 unsolved murder of elderly Lake Oconee couple
Investigators found Russell Dermond decapitated in his garage and his wife's body in the lake.

Author: Chelsea Beimfohr
Published: 11:42 PM EDT May 3, 2019
Updated: 11:42 PM EDT May 3, 2019
PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — For the last 1,800 days of his life, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says there's one thing he's thought about every day -- the brutal and gruesome murders of an elderly couple at Lake Oconee.

RELATED: The Dermond murders: Sheriff, community still searching for answers 4 years later

Q: "Does it feel like it's been almost 5 years now?

A: (Sheriff Sills) "No, it doesn't. It doesn't."

In May 2014, someone beheaded Russell Dermond and dumped his wife's body in the lake outside their million-dollar Great Waters home.

Sheriff Sills says when he heard the disturbing 911 call, he rushed to the Great Waters neighborhood. "I remember all of it quite vividly," says Sills.

When Sills entered the garage, he found a body, decapitated. It was Mr. Dermond. For more than a week, crews searched for Shirley, assuming she'd been abducted by her husband's killer.

10 days later, investigators found her body 6 miles from her home, weighed down in Lake Oconee by cinder blocks. "People think I just say this, but it literally is the first thing I think of every morning," says Sills.

In the years that have followed, Sills says his department has followed dozens of leads, interviewed hundreds of people, even called in the FBI. As law enforcement investigated, the media attention grew. People began creating their own theories, websites, and podcasts about the case online. "We examined their financial records, their phone records, their tax records," says Sills.

Over the years, Sills released more details, like that a neighbor saw "someone" at the house just a few days before the murder, and that no weapons or blood splatters were found in the residence.

PHOTOS: Sheriff, community still searching for answers in Dermond murders 4 years later

548917929_1140x641.jpg

01 / 07
Russell Dermond was found beheaded inside his water-front home, his wife Shirley's body was recovered from Lake Oconee.

02 / 07
Russell Dermond was found beheaded inside his water-front home, his wife Shirley's body was recovered from Lake Oconee.

03 / 07

04 / 07

05 / 07

06 / 07

07 / 07

Five years later, we asked if there were any other details he'd share. "Let's just say there is tangible evidence that I just can't talk about. We've told as much as we can," says Sills.

RELATED: 3 years later: Dermonds' murder unsolved

Boxes labeled with the couple's last name still line Sheriff Sills' office, serving as a reminder that no matter how much time passes or how many cases go unsolved in Central Georgia, he's got unfinished business.

"These are the only two I have, and it bothers me a great deal," says Sills.

If you have any information about what happened to the Dermonds, you can call the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at 706-485-8557.

Investigators found Russell Dermond decapitated in his garage and his wife's body in the lake.

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — For the last 1,800 days of his life, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says there's one thing he's thought about every day -- the brutal and gruesome murders of an elderly couple at Lake Oconee.

RELATED: The Dermond murders: Sheriff, community still searching for answers 4 years later

In May 2014, someone beheaded Russell Dermond and dumped his wife's body in the lake outside their million-dollar Great Waters home.

Sheriff Sills says when he heard the disturbing 911 call, he rushed to the Great Waters neighborhood. "I remember all of it quite vividly," says Sills.

When Sills entered the garage, he found a body, decapitated. It was Mr. Dermond. For more than a week, crews searched for Shirley, assuming she'd been abducted by her husband's killer.

10 days later, investigators found her body 6 miles from her home, weighed down in Lake Oconee by cinder blocks. "People think I just say this, but it literally is the first thing I think of every morning," says Sills.

In the years that have followed, Sills says his department has followed dozens of leads, interviewed hundreds of people, even called in the FBI. As law enforcement investigated, the media attention grew. People began creating their own theories, websites, and podcasts about the case online. "We examined their financial records, their phone records, their tax records," says Sills.

Over the years, Sills released more details, like that a neighbor saw "someone" at the house just a few days before the murder, and that no weapons or blood splatters were found in the residence.

PHOTOS: Sheriff, community still searching for answers in Dermond murders 4 years later

548917929_1140x641.jpg

01 / 07

02 / 07

03 / 07

04 / 07

05 / 07

06 / 07

07 / 07

Five years later, we asked if there were any other details he'd share. "Let's just say there is tangible evidence that I just can't talk about. We've told as much as we can," says Sills.

Boxes labeled with the couple's last name still line Sheriff Sills' office, serving as a reminder that no matter how much time passes or how many cases go unsolved in Central Georgia, he's got unfinished business.

If you have any information about what happened to the Dermonds, you can call the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at 706-485-8557.

...."even called in the FBI..."

Sills -- isn't this the man that refused to let any agency help his department?

Sorry for the family -- they live with this everyday also.

MO

MO
No - just the GBI. And he still used their labs and MEs. Sills doesn’t trust the GBI (thinks they’re too politicized) and has confidence in his own abilities to solve the case (FBI trained), but he has also consulted cold case detectives, FBI, state’s attorneys etc. Apparently there is some local skepticism about the competency of the GBI after it emerged that they basically had the Tara Grinstead perps under their noses and failed to make the connection.

MO
He refused to call on the GBI

When there is a missing person/kidnapping I think the FBI automatically gets involved? I thought I remembered this from the early stages of this case

However, SS has stated, the FBI info was of no real value in this GA case

I dont remember that a witness "saw someone at the residence a few days before the murders"

Last edited:
No - just the GBI. And he still used their labs and MEs. Sills doesn’t trust the GBI (thinks they’re too politicized) and has confidence in his own abilities to solve the case (FBI trained), but he has also consulted cold case detectives, FBI, state’s attorneys etc. Apparently there is some local skepticism about the competency of the GBI after it emerged that they basically had the Tara Grinstead perps under their noses and failed to make the connection.
They allegedly wanted to try or blame SS during the Nuwabian case inPutnam, the reason for his distrust of the agency when these guys were child molestors to say the least with a huge compound under several difference names masquerading as something they were not

SS contacted a cold case detective in Jacksonville FL before the case was cold, citing he was an old college buddy

I thing he GA crime lab is THE GA crime lab, no way around it

Last edited:
SHORT and SWEET.....

Thanks for sharing

oh snap I read that like the “man on the lawn” tip. Great catch Dancin! That’s our new tip for the year. The man on the lawn was probably actually a few day earlier. Must be one of the two suspects that won’t take Polygraphs.

The GBI in Georgia has botched multiple investigations. They seem more interested in standing outside the Mercedes Benz Dome with Camo on with Machine guns making the public feel unsafe.

I dont remember that a witness "saw someone at the residence a few days before the murders"[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
GBI botched Tara Grinstead case and Wideman Murders. Same agents. They actually had one of their own agents (retired) testify against them in the Bo Dukes Trial.

I wonder if it's a new tip or if it's a misquote in regards to the man on the lawn........

I was thinking, since the writer of this article could be referring to the date of discovery of RD being the 6th, which was ultimately his official TOD, yet the man on the lawn, was actually seen a few days before THAT date, on Saturday the 2nd

Cant always trust these articles

But if it's new, would like to know more!
oh snap I read that like the “man on the lawn” hint. Great catch Dancin that’s our new tip for the year. The man on the lawn was probably actually a few day earlier. Must be one of the two suspects that won’t take Polygraphs.

The GBI in Georgia has botched multiple investigations. They seem more interested in standing outside the Mercedes Benz Dome with Camo on with Machine guns making the public feel unsafe.

I dont remember that a witness "saw someone at the residence a few days before the murders"
[/QUOTE]

GBI botched Tara Grinstead case and Wideman Murders. Same agents. They actually had one of their own agents (retired) testify against them in the Bo Dukes Trial.
Yes , they really did, sad it went on for 10 years when it had already been confessed within weeks of her death, GBI and friends of Tara did nothing to find her or her killer

If you read back about the Nuwabian case in PUtnam county you can find information about the GBI trying to investigate SS , which really got his ire up, the leader of this cult is in prison today due to SS consistent and persistent investigation of these people

WOW, just realized, KD initially suggested a CULT might be responsible for the Dermonds death, the Nuwabian cult leaders were known molesters and killers and Foxfire, RIP, former WS'er, was adamant they had something to do with the Dermonds deaths to get revenge on SS

I wonder if it's a new tip or if it's a misquote in regards to the man on the lawn........

I was thinking, since the writer of this article could be referring to the date of discovery of RD being the 6th, which was ultimately his official TOD, yet the man on the lawn, was actually seen a few days before THAT date, on Saturday the 2nd

Cant always trust these articles

But if it's new, would like to know more!
Media is notorious for getting details wrong, so for myself, I'm attributing it to 'misquote', as suggested in post above.. we've not heard SS ever say such a thing, but rather, we've heard him say someone was seen on the Sat, which would be a few days before the 'discovery' of RD's body.. which some inept reporter turned into 'a few days before the murders'.

Disappointing if this coverage is 'it' for renewing interest for the 5th anniversary. imo.

My guess is this was the yearly update and of course not much revealed once again. Sad this case hasn't been solved yet but it seems like SS knows who the killers are now he's just playing the waiting game until someone comes forward or 1 of the killers slips up

Agreed, and add that evn sometimes SS own words are meant to be just Generalizations instead and others may read it as exact factual info instead, easily misunderstanding him
IM disappointed about this too short update as well DG and Hockeyguy33
Media is notorious for getting details wrong, so for myself, I'm attributing it to 'misquote', as suggested in post above.. we've not heard SS ever say such a thing, but rather, we've heard him say someone was seen on the Sat, which would be a few days before the 'discovery' of RD's body.. which some inept reporter turned into 'a few days before the murders'.

Disappointing if this coverage is 'it' for renewing interest for the 5th anniversary. imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member