Presumed Located OH - Kevin James Cassetty, 21, Hartville, 23 July 1982

Welcome to Websleuths, @Forsakenfoe.
I'm alerting a mod to this new thread in case it needs more information in the title
-and-
to provide a link to verified insider status, since you are family to this missing person.
Thank you for joining!

Kevin James Cassetty – The Charley Project

Kevin James Cassetty
  • cassetty_kevin.jpg
Cassetty, circa 1982

• Missing Since07/23/1982
  • Missing FromHartville, Ohio
  • ClassificationMissing
  • Age21 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'7, 135 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Cassetty has an eagle tattoo on his lower right arm and a tattoo of an anchor with the words "Death Before Dishonor" below it on his upper left arm. He wears eyeglasses.
Details of Disappearance
Cassetty was arrested in Hartville, Ohio on July 23, 1982 and transported to Virginia where he served a jail sentence. When he was released pending a court appearance, he never showed up for it and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
  • Hartville Police Department 330-877-2500
Source Information
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 19, 2019; casefile added.

RSBM from NamUs (link ^)
Circumstances of Disappearance
Kevin was arrested in 1982 in Hartville, OH and transported to Virginia where he served time. When he was released to appear in court he was never seen or heard from again.

Where in Hartville was your stepfather "reportedly" last seen?
And by whom?
I'm confused if he was actually seen back in Hartville or truly went missing in Virginia ... (edited for clarification)

RSBM from NamUs (link ^)
Circumstances of Disappearance
Kevin was arrested in 1982 in Hartville, OH and transported to Virginia where he served time. When he was released to appear in court he was never seen or heard from again.

Where in Hartville was your stepfather "reportedly" last seen?
And by whom?
I'm confused if he was actually seen back in Hartville or truly went missing in Virginia ... (edited for clarification)[/QUOTE

From talking with my mother, she had a miscarriage. He came back to Ohio, was listed as AWOL, picked up by Hartville on a fluke, held until MPs took him away. He was last seen in the custody of the Military Police sent to transfer him to Virgina. They thought he just up and left, but his SS# went cold, license never renewed, never contacted his mother or my mother or my sister (his daughter). He disappeared. Rumors of prisoner abuse at Norfolk around '82-'84 have circulated but I haven't seen any documentation myself as of yet. Still searching John Does.

Oh my .. so your family doesn't even know WHEN (before during or after transport to Virginia) or WHERE (Hartville, Virginia or somewhere along the way) he disappeared! Can I assume that he didn't write letters or call home from MP custody?

Hi Forsakenfoe, welcome. What is Norfolf brig. ? Was your stepdad in the military, navy (tattoos sound like military ones)? And of course MP's probably meaning military police?

Were the glasses in the picture he wore permanent, and from the time he went missing, as far as you know?

Are there any identifiers in Namus? Dentals, DNA?

Last edited:
Stupid question and you probably already did: Did you contacted his family. Cassetty is not a very common name (just one in Namus with that name). I found just one Kevin J. Cassetty on the white pages, but it can't be him because this one is in his 40's.

He looks to be wearing something like this
s-l1600.jpg

It's like the uniform for a Fireman Apprentice, Boiler Technician Striker

Thumbnail

And it looks like there is something above it, but it might as well be a button.

My sister has been in contact with his family. His mother, his brother, as well as other members throughout the years. I'm not sure what his rank was. I spoke with my mother. She said when she had a miscarriage (my half brother), he came home. He was listed as AWOL and Hartville PD ended up with him somehow. The MP's picked him up and they were supposed to take him to Norfolk. He was never seen or heard from again. They claim he was released, but my mother said that she was told several inmates there were abused and there were even some incidents resulting in death. He was allegedly there at the 'beginning' of the occurrences and may have been victim to foul play. They listed him as released pending court date but he never wrote or called her or my sister, or came back home. His trail went cold the moment he was transferred into custody of the Military Police.

My sister has been in contact with his family. His mother, his brother, as well as other members throughout the years. I'm not sure what his rank was. I spoke with my mother. She said when she had a miscarriage (my half brother), he came home. He was listed as AWOL and Hartville PD ended up with him somehow. The MP's picked him up and they were supposed to take him to Norfolk. He was never seen or heard from again. They claim he was released, but my mother said that she was told several inmates there were abused and there were even some incidents resulting in death. He was allegedly there at the 'beginning' of the occurrences and may have been victim to foul play. They listed him as released pending court date but he never wrote or called her or my sister, or came back home. His trail went cold the moment he was transferred into custody of the Military Police.

Thank you for your answer. That does sound sketchy and sad. Did any of you ever physical saw the military or police records?

So your stepfather had the best intentions returning home for your mother.. such a sad story everything went wrong from there.

Just trying to get some insights

As a federal warrant is issued for your arrest once you are AWOL more than 30 days, you could be arrested at any time. If this occurs, you will be held in a local jail until you are transferred to a military jail, where you will remain until you have a military court date, which could take some time. After a certain period of time (30-day rule), the AWOL status turns to a desertion status.

Was you stepfather already AWOL for 30 days?

If so it's seems plausible that he was held by the Hartville PD (Ohio). After that was picked up by the MP to bring him to Norfolk Brig in VA, one of the navy correctional facilities those days, closed in -I think 2011-, when staff and inmates moved to the Consolidated Navy Brig in Chesapeake Virginia.

Was he arrested by the Hartville PD on 7/23/1982 or was he taken to VA on that date? From your story I understand you have record of at least his release from the Hartville prison. Is that correct? Or is this just what they told you?

Do you know if there is DNA in Namus for him? I ask this because it's helpful to know if you search for a match with an unidentified body. If both have DNA in the Namus system it will check possible matches automatically or rule out by default. Sadly enough not everybody missing or unidentified is in the Namus system.

Last edited:
I will be at my mother's this weekend. I'll try to put together a report of solely her words. I'll also contact my sister and see if she has been contacted for DNA or offered it at any point.

I will be at my mother's this weekend. I'll try to put together a report of solely her words. I'll also contact my sister and see if she has been contacted for DNA or offered it at any point.

Good luck, must be hard bringing this issues up. I would think his family would have given the DNA (if they are still around)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back