FL FL - Jacqueline Dunmire, 73, diving, Atlantic Ocean south of Summerland Key, 7 May 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A 73-year old diver went missing in the Florida Keys on Tuesday. Ships and aircraft from the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy and Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission were all trying to find her.

The woman’s husband reported her missing about 12:30 p.m. from the vessel Mai Tai and said she vanished in the Atlantic Ocean while about seven miles south of Summerland Key.

The Coast Guard did not release the woman’s name or where she is from.

Woman, 73, vanishes while diving off Florida Keys

Crews searching for missing 73-year-old off Florida Keys

Last edited:
It was just the two of them diving together? Who was manning the boat? Were they seasoned divers and boaters?

"KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard and several other agencies are searching for a 73-year-old woman who went missing while diving.

In a news release, the agency said they got a call from the woman's husband Tuesday afternoon. He told officials they'd been diving in the Florida Keys on a vessel called Mai Tai.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and a Naval aircraft crew are assisting in the search"

Last edited:
I used to live in the Florida Keys. It is really really common for people to die while diving or snorkeling - usually those who were diving suffered some kind of equipment problem, which those snorkeling often pass away from a heart attack. When I was there I'd go out with a friend of mine on his boat and we'd salvage - dive gear that sank to the bottom, like dive weights, and propellers from boats, etc. We'd also collect dead sea life, like sea biscuits and empty horse conch shells to sell to the tourists. When we dove, we used a 'hookah' system - an air compressor on the boat that has an air hose connected to it that went to the regulator. We always felt that this was much safer than using dive tanks, and we never had a problem. Also, please remember that these islands are small, and resources are limited - especially news sources. Summerland key is tiny! There's also the 'these islands are our home, and we'll deal with our own issues - if we need your help we'll call you - don't call us'. That mentality is part of which made me feel so safe and secure there; I knew I could always count on my community no matter what happened. People had no secrets there; if you had a problem, you tell the bartender at the Brass Monkey, and he tells everybody on the island. Then everyone knows what you're dealing with and they'll help you through it. Suffice to say people there are honest, and very hard-working. I suspect this poor woman is on the bottom of the sea someplace, and honestly, the currents there can be strong so it may have been taken quite a ways away. Also, just after the reef the ocean gets very, very deep quickly; but as I always say, if the water is over your head that's all that matters. Always remember that when you're in the ocean you're not at the top of the food chain anymore - you're at the very bottom. Well, I know people are looking for her and if they can possibly save her, they will certainly try. My feeling though is that she is deceased, and that her body will probably float to the surface in a week or so, and a fisherman will most likely find it.

Coast Guard continues search for missing diver 7 miles south of Summerland Key | Coast Guard News
Coast Guard continues search for missing diver 7 miles south of Summerland Key
May 8th, 2019
KEY WEST, Fla. — The Coast Guard and partner agencies continue searching for a 73-year-old female diver who was reported missing approximately seven miles south of Summerland Key on Tuesday afternoon.

Coast Guard Sector Key West watchstanders received a call at approximately 12:30 p.m. Tuesday from the woman’s husband aboard the vessel, Mai Tai, stating that his wife went missing while diving with him. Watchstanders launched a Coast Guard Station Marathon 33-foot Special Purpose Craft—Law Enforcement crew, Coast Guard Station Key West 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew, Coast Guard Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew and diverted the Coast Guard Cutter Raymond Evans (WPC-1110) crew to the scene to assist.

“This is a multi-agency effort and crews are searching diligently to locate the missing diver,” said Capt. Adam Chamie, commander of Sector Key West. “We have been searching around the clock with a truly all-hands on deck effort.”

Assets currently searching include Coast Guard small boats from Station Key West, Coast Guard Cutters Raymond Evans and Tarpon, Coast Guard and Navy helicopters, fixed-wing Coast Guard aircraft, as well as dive teams from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, and Army Special Forces Underwater Operations School.

In total, assets have searched an area spanning 187 square miles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back