Found Deceased TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Houston, 5 May 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been reading about depressive craniectomy, and the follow up craniotomy, and I am sadder than ever for her.
She had a major head injury where she was put under and a piece of her skull was removed, and she survived, and continued to survive for months - with a piece of her skull missing.
Then she goes back to surgery to have her skull flap replaced, and again, she survived.

And then... poof! She's gone. All that trauma and from the looks of it, she fought it out with a sweet smile on her face. And then some *expletives deleted* comes along and more likely than not, takes her out of the world.

It's heartbreaking. :(

It takes a lot of force to cause an injury like that in the first place, IMO. Knowing the mechanism of injury, cause of injury can be very helpful in determining a diagnosis and is a part of a comprehensive medical examination, IMO.

CPS has had temporary custody of Maleah since August. But a judge in February ordered a “monitored return” home to Bowens, where “the caseworker could go at least once a month to check on the family,” according to CPS spokeswoman Tiffani Butler.

Thanks for reposting article with named CPS spokeswoman, and confirming children ordered a "monitored return home" to BB.

I believe KHOU reporter confused the issue last night stating children were on court awarded to paternal aunt, and BB had visitation. I believe those conditions probably existed Aug - February, but not after February and/or the current court arrangement.

MOO

Last edited:
BREAKING: Mom, stepdad of Maleah Davis banned from contact with all their children, court rules

Breaking 5/9/19

KHOU 11 Investigates learned that CPS took temporary custody of Maleah last August after a head injury and seizure sent her to the hospital.

Maleah was living with her grandmother, mother Brittany Bowens, and Bowens’ and Vence, and was only taken to the hospital at the urging of her grandmother, who was at work at the time of Maleah's injury, according to court records uncovered by KHOU’s Cheryl Mercedes.

Doctors said the injury and explanation that she “fell off a chair” didn’t add up and they suspected abuse, records show.

Even so, a judge returned Maleah to Bowen and Vence a few months later. **bbm

The court order removing all children from Vence and Bowen’s custody is the outcome of the separate motions by grandma Brenda Bowens and the Department of Family and Protective Services. The court did not place the kids with Brenda, but are allowing her to attend sibling visits.

** ETA: I'm taking KHOU's earlier details with a grain of salt.

It was previously understood that court removed children last August, and returned them Feb 2019 under monitored custody to BB and DV, and a hearing to determine permanent custody scheduled on 5/22/19 (typical for hearing 180 days after reunited/monitored care). Technically, children are still under temp custody of DFSS until 5/22/19.

KHOU began reporting last night that that children were NOT living with parents but had supervised visits. I think that applied during Aug - Feb, and not post Feb.

Also, public records indicate intervention was filed Feb 2019 (by BB2?) for children not to be returned to BB/DV but Judge denied.

KHOU currently reporting BB2 filed intervention / no contact with BB and DV which was granted, and BB2 to attend sibling visits.

MOO

I've read the court case on the Harris County Court site, but not the 300 pages of documents.

BB filed a motion to return the kids to the home.
GMA filed an intervention which objected to BB's motion.
CPS filed a motion to strike GMA's intervention, they prevailed in that action.
The kids were ordered returned with restrictions.

We should probably give G the link and let her give us an interpretation of the filings. There are two pages.

I've read the court case on the Harris County Court site, but not the 300 pages of documents.

We should probably give G the link and let her give us an interpretation of the filings. There are two pages.

Please do. I'd love to see it.

Not that this really matters, but I wanted to point out that the car wasn't found exactly in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The Dollar Tree where the person that reported it was coming out of is in front of the Wal-Mart with many other businesses including dentist. The parking lots are very much separate and it looks like you can get to the DT without going into the Wal-Mart parking lot. /www.google.com/maps/dir/Dollar+Tree,+Highway+6,+Missouri+City,+TX/Walmart+Supercenter,+Highway+6,+Missouri+City,+TX/@29.5734058,-95.572262,409m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8640e5e4ab8de57b:0x6fddfc861d1f1932!2m2!1d-95.5715054!2d29.5736029!1m5!1m1!1s0x8640e5fbf06c7145:0x9c3416bbc7e13753!2m2!1d-95.5679631!2d29.5736584

Don't know Texas law. But wouldn't grandma only have standing to file a motion if she had temporary custody/guardianship of the kids? I can't think of another way she'd have standing. Perhaps that's why CPS filed a motion to strike.

I may need to make an account and read myself.

I’m not sure why police would bring her there if they’re trying to process a scene,

Perhaps to verify that this was her car. They would have the license plate, but perhaps still needed to hear from her that they had the right vehicle and that the plates hadn't been put on some random grey Nissan.

Not that this really matters, but I wanted to point out that the car wasn't found exactly in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The Dollar Tree where the person that reported it was coming out of is in front of the Wal-Mart with many other businesses including dentist. The parking lots are very much separate and it looks like you can get to the DT without going into the Wal-Mart parking lot. /www.google.com/maps/dir/Dollar+Tree,+Highway+6,+Missouri+City,+TX/Walmart+Supercenter,+Highway+6,+Missouri+City,+TX/@29.5734058,-95.572262,409m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8640e5e4ab8de57b:0x6fddfc861d1f1932!2m2!1d-95.5715054!2d29.5736029!1m5!1m1!1s0x8640e5fbf06c7145:0x9c3416bbc7e13753!2m2!1d-95.5679631!2d29.5736584

It might matter. Depending on whether Dollar Tree parking lot has cameras.

It takes a lot of force to cause an injury like that in the first place, IMO. Knowing the mechanism of injury, cause of injury can be very helpful in determining a diagnosis and is a part of a comprehensive medical examination, IMO.
BBM, Right? I'm thinking of all the people I've known all my life who knocked their head really good from car accidents to football injuries to falling out of trees and off of diving boards and on and on it goes and not ONE ever had such a serious outcome as little M did from her fall.

Don't know Texas law. But wouldn't grandma only have standing to file a motion if she had temporary custody/guardianship of the kids? I can't think of another way she'd have standing. Perhaps that's why CPS filed a motion to strike.

I may need to make an account and read myself.

Grandparents and aunts and uncles or former guardians can file motions to intervene and for custody.

Maleah was in daycare...

VIDEO: Jason Miles on Twitter
.. “The kids really miss Maleah.” @KHOU exclusive at 6:00: #MaleahDavis’s daycare lets me in to talk about missing 4 year-old. Staff last saw her in April.. But say stepdad was here the day he claims she was kidnapped. That’s Maleah’s cubby awaiting her return #khou11 #htownrush
4:09 PM - 9 May 2019 from Missouri City, TX
I am not comfortable with this.Meaning the reporter going to the preschool and reporting.

Last edited:
So when you said "she'd be be afraid as hell" because of "past incidents" you were referring to the head injuries and nothing else?
Ok, lets remove the head injury for a second. Why would a family member (I believe the grandmother) intervene when they went back home. I suspect she was afraid of something. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam