CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange Co, 27 Jul 2009 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a comment posted by a reporter for the OC Register under an article he wrote about Mr. Harrod's disappearance.

He said, per officials, there was a phone call to Bob earlier the morning of his disappearance, which is the last time anyone other than SIL JeM verified he was at the house.

If true, I have always thought it was either the housekeeper or Fontelle.
Two daughters called that morning. Julie called, and spoke with Jeff, and I forget if the other was Paula/Roberta, called later. I'd have to go back to timeline notes to find the times on these calls.

Two daughters called that morning. Julie called, and spoke with Jeff, and I forget if the other was Paula/Roberta, called later. I'd have to go back to timeline notes to find the times on these calls.

Yes. Daughter PB posted she called and spoke to Mr. Harrod between 11-12. She said she heard SIL in the background say he was going to the hardware store and her father “responded in a favorable way.”

PB later said the call was after 11:30 am. Another sister, RB said PB's call was at 11:45am.

The housekeeper arrived around noon. JeM arrived back from his "pricing" trip about 15 minutes later.

If this call and conversation really happened that would really narrow down the timeline.

Yes. Daughter PB posted she called and spoke to Mr. Harrod between 11-12. She said she heard SIL in the background say he was going to the hardware store and her father “responded in a favorable way.”

PB later said the call was after 11:30 am. Another sister, RB said PB's call was at 11:45am.

The housekeeper arrived around noon. JeM arrived back from his "pricing" trip about 15 minutes later.

If this call and conversation really happened that would really narrow down the timeline.
Yes, we called it "the floating timeline".

Jeff stated that he'd seen a vehicle, resembling that of the barber (who was cleared by police) driving around the neighborhood. Assuming that the driver of that vehicle was the killer, they'd have seen that Jeff was in and out. He'd gone to CVS for paper plates, and returned. If the killer was staking out the house, wouldn't they have seen him come and go?

Jeff leaves again to go to the Home Depot. The killer chooses the most narrow window of time to strike, and is incredibly LUCKY that he/she misses the cleaning woman, and Jeff's return. (How could they know that Jeff wasn't coming right back, as he had after the CVS trip?) No one in the neighborhood is coming home for lunch, or walking their dog. It's the time period where someone may have been coming home for lunch. They are so smooth they don't leave any evidence behind. They'd have had to have worn gloves, and left no DNA behind.

Bob is skirted off by someone who has nothing to gain, and does so in the riskiest of manners, yet doesn't leave a trace? If this time period is correct, then this killer is incredibly lucky, and skilled. Or, this happened overnight, possibly early morning, and someone isn't telling the truth.

Glasses off: did Mr. Harrod have a condition that was treated with eye drops?

My Grandmother had (at one point) 2 different eye-drop prescriptions, one on a 4 hour dosing schedule, the other on 6 hours. Mr. Harrod would likely be in his usual bathroom will his glasses on the counter to put in any eye-drops.

Continuing to speculate, Mr. Harrod, with his head tipped back, may have lost his balance & fallen?

Don't know why this just occurred to me. If Mr. Harrod fell, cut his head, he may have made it to his bed & stained the sheets?

JMHO YMMV LRR

Fontelle, here's to a Happy Mother's Day for you from all of us at WS!

Yes, we called it "the floating timeline".

Jeff stated that he'd seen a vehicle, resembling that of the barber (who was cleared by police) driving around the neighborhood. Assuming that the driver of that vehicle was the killer, they'd have seen that Jeff was in and out. He'd gone to CVS for paper plates, and returned. If the killer was staking out the house, wouldn't they have seen him come and go?

Jeff leaves again to go to the Home Depot. The killer chooses the most narrow window of time to strike, and is incredibly LUCKY that he/she misses the cleaning woman, and Jeff's return. (How could they know that Jeff wasn't coming right back, as he had after the CVS trip?) No one in the neighborhood is coming home for lunch, or walking their dog. It's the time period where someone may have been coming home for lunch. They are so smooth they don't leave any evidence behind. They'd have had to have worn gloves, and left no DNA behind.

Bob is skirted off by someone who has nothing to gain, and does so in the riskiest of manners, yet doesn't leave a trace? If this time period is correct, then this killer is incredibly lucky, and skilled. Or, this happened overnight, possibly early morning, and someone isn't telling the truth.
I think it would mean that several people are not telling the truth. So what would that be telling us therefore? ie if B 'disappeared' in the night, then it would have been impossible for him to have spoken on the phone to *anyone* the next morning.. but yet if *both* P and Ju say they spoke to B on the phone that morning.... that would be impossible. So that could only mean that 2 out of 3 offspring were deceiving. But why?

Being new to this case, it is interesting to me, that IF B disappeared in the night, but the 2 other sisters say they spoke on the phone to B that morning.. and it is only R by herself that is offering the reward monies..

It is also very interesting that when Je and the housekeeper entered the home, and Je went upstairs by himself upon housekeeper's request - but he spent a little too long up there... what was he doing exactly?

And then Ju changes the bedsheets after the housekeeper had already been there?? Why wouldn't one assume the housekeeper would do this? Or if not, then why not ask her to do it, seeing as they knew she was there, and obviously thought it pertinent that it get done?

It is also worthy of note that Je's Home Depot receipt was something like 3:15pm, but yet there are all these time discrepancies around when exactly B was 'last seen', and/or 'last heard from', and what time exactly the cleaning lady showed up. ... in combination with.. Je being said to have been doing 'pricing', as opposed to just getting her done and 'purchasing'. To say 'pricing', would have to mean another trip in there, wouldn't it? Because the one trip was confirmed by a receipt... much later than when B was last heard from, by some accounts..

There seem to be two enormous 'coincidences' here. One is that this happened just hours after the family meeting regarding finances and B sharing that he would be adding his new bride onto his assets; two is the tiny window of opportunity that existed for anyone other than Je to come to the home and 'take' B.

How did Je even know what type/model/color/year of vehicle the barber drove?

Why on earth would Je take time out of his limited reno/repair schedule to make a trip to a store to fetch paper plates, of all things? I believe I read somewhere that he had gone to a pharmacy to pick up a prescription? I wonder if LE followed up on this earlier trip to the store and checked out the receipt as to time and what exact items were purchased? Or did it not seem important at the time, since Je was admitting to having done so?

I'm wondering if perhaps some kind of over-the-counter medication was purchased which would have rendered B groggy... such as Benadryl or Nyquil or something.

I'm thinking the fam likely never thought for a minute that Fontelle would have still made the trip back to Placentia, knowing that B had gone missing. Much easier and simpler to get someone out of a home you do not want them to be in, if they never arrive at all. That could explain the timing of a couple of days prior to Fontelle's expected arrival. I wonder if any of the sisters were shocked that Fontelle went ahead and proceeded with her plans to arrive to Placentia and move into the home, regardless that B had 'disappeared'?

Glasses off: did Mr. Harrod have a condition that was treated with eye drops?

My Grandmother had (at one point) 2 different eye-drop prescriptions, one on a 4 hour dosing schedule, the other on 6 hours. Mr. Harrod would lik forely be in his usual bathroom will his glasses on the counter to put in any eye-drops.

Continuing to speculate, Mr. Harrod, with his head tipped back, may have lost his balance & fallen?

Don't know why this just occurred to me. If Mr. Harrod fell, cut his head, he may have made it to his bed & stained the sheets?

JMHO YMMV LRR

Fontelle, here's to a Happy Mother's Day for you from all of us at WS!
It's possible. The morning after Bob disappeared, Julie changed the linens, in preparation for Fontelle's return. I never heard if forensics were done on the sheets she took off.

I think it would mean that several people are not telling the truth. So what would that be telling us therefore? ie if B 'disappeared' in the night, then it would have been impossible for him to have spoken on the phone to *anyone* the next morning.. but yet if *both* P and Ju say they spoke to B on the phone that morning.... that would be impossible. So that could only mean that 2 out of 3 offspring were deceiving. But why?

Being new to this case, it is interesting to me, that IF B disappeared in the night, but the 2 other sisters say they spoke on the phone to B that morning.. and it is only R by herself that is offering the reward monies..

It is also very interesting that when Je and the housekeeper entered the home, and Je went upstairs by himself upon housekeeper's request - but he spent a little too long up there... what was he doing exactly?

And then Ju changes the bedsheets after the housekeeper had already been there?? Why wouldn't one assume the housekeeper would do this? Or if not, then why not ask her to do it, seeing as they knew she was there, and obviously thought it pertinent that it get done?

It is also worthy of note that Je's Home Depot receipt was something like 3:15pm, but yet there are all these time discrepancies around when exactly B was 'last seen', and/or 'last heard from', and what time exactly the cleaning lady showed up. ... in combination with.. Je being said to have been doing 'pricing', as opposed to just getting her done and 'purchasing'. To say 'pricing', would have to mean another trip in there, wouldn't it? Because the one trip was confirmed by a receipt... much later than when B was last heard from, by some accounts..

There seem to be two enormous 'coincidences' here. One is that this happened just hours after the family meeting regarding finances and B sharing that he would be adding his new bride onto his assets; two is the tiny window of opportunity that existed for anyone other than Je to come to the home and 'take' B.

How did Je even know what type/model/color/year of vehicle the barber drove?

CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

A member received the CVS trip from police through email, and I don't remember the source of what he bought on the trip. That may have been from
a different email with the same WS member.

The barber helped out with Bob after his first wife died. She could have possibly had the same vehicle, at that time, as the vehicle driving through the neighborhood the day he went missing.

It's possible. The morning after Bob disappeared, Julie changed the linens, in preparation for Fontelle's return. I never heard if forensics were done on the sheets she took off.
That would be interesting to know if forensics were done on them, because from following other cases, I believe trace evidence can still sometimes be found on washed items. I wonder if the linens were washed at B's home, or if they were taken to Ju's home to wash?

CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

A member received the CVS trip from police through email, and I don't remember the source of what he bought on the trip. That may have been from
a different email with the same WS member.

The barber helped out with Bob after his first wife died. She could have possibly had the same vehicle, at that time, as the vehicle driving through the neighborhood the day he went missing.
But still, if the barber was helping B.. why would anyone other than B necessarily know what the woman drove? ie if the fam was that present to know what the barber friend was up to and what she was driving, why not help their own father out, rather than allowing/expecting the barber friend to do whatever.

But still, if the barber was helping B.. why would anyone other than B necessarily know what the woman drove? ie if the fam was that present to know what the barber friend was up to and what she was driving, why not help their own father out, rather than allowing/expecting the barber friend to do whatever.
It's my understanding they all know each other. They knew Bob was giving her money. They could very well know what vehicle she drove through their encounters with her at the house. OR, when Jeff described the vehicle he witnessed slowly driving through the neighborhood, it was a coincidence that it resembled hers.

IIRC, this person is a barber/stylist & came to the home for the first Mrs. Harrod, Georgia and provided barber/stylist services for both. IIRC, for a period of years as that lady's health declined. Within that time frame, many people would know what sort of vehicle was driven.

Apologies, not interested in wading through to find a link.

JMHO YMMV LRR

The hairdresser did both Mr. Harrod's hair, and Georgia Harrod's hair before she died. The shop where she worked was in Placentia.

JeM and JuM lived in Placentia right next to Bob and Georgia Harrod before moving, a few years before Mr. Harrod disappeared, to where they currently live.

The hairdresser was also at the memorial for Georgia Harrod.

http://www.allreadable.com/12636i3p

Does anyone know the source of the claim that family members, other than Fontelle, were cleared in this case?

The only time I have seen the word "cleared" used in this case is in regard to the hairdresser and her husband.

"The three daughters told police initially they suspected Bob Harrod’s barber – a woman who attended their mother’s funeral in 2008 – of some connection with the disappearance. Police have cleared the barber and her husband of any connection with the case."

A few things from the Disappeared episode.

The police report, which has been posted, states that JeM saw a black Chevy Tahoe (the kind of vehicle the hairdresser owned) drive slowly past Mr. Harrod's house a few times over a 10 minute period.

The Disappeared episode did not use a black Chevy Tahoe to depict the drive-by. They used a white SUV.

Also said in the Disappeared episode, "the hairdresser (real name) states she did not drive by Bob's house that day, and police are able to confirm her alibi."

Vanished: Millionaire newlywed, 81, still missing – Orange County Register
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7KZDWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members