Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

MAGOFFIN COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - Vigils were held in Eastern Kentucky Tuesday night to show support for the family of a missing Magoffin County toddler.

vigil+for+kenneth+howard+web.jpg

Investigators are looking for 22-month-old Kenneth Howard. Search leaders say they were contacted approximately one hour after Howard went missing Sunday night. Kentucky State Police is leading the investigation, and it is being considered a missing person case.

A big crowd gathered at Ramey Memorial Park in Salyersville to lift each other with prayer and song, hoping for the boy's safe return.

"We've all been devastated about it. We've all worried. We've lost sleep."

"A 22-month-old beautiful child somewhere tonight is in some kind of trouble."

Folks also gathered at the Ramada in Paintsville to pray for Kenneth and his family.

"I know the pain I feel inside; I just can't even [begin to] imagine how they're feeling right now."

They want the family to know they have the community's support.

"Whether you're their neighbor or just someone in the community, everyone wants to see this little boy brought home."

"If there's one miracle from God left out there, just please let it be for him."

Pastors at one vigil urged gatherers to pray for Kenneth every hour on the hour until he's found.

Given the described terrain etc. I cannot imagine that a 22 month old was able to get away so fast and so far in such a short amount of time that he cannot now be located. I am aware anything is possible and there is always that exception but I just do not see it, especially once darkness set in, hopefully I will be proven wrong. I still am concerned about the statement made earlier today suggesting there are circumstances that just cannot be talked about right now...something like that.

If a 22 month old clearly and surely wandered off what would there be that "cannot be talked about"? And like others here have mentioned, why call off a search so early in the game, although I do know they have resumed searching from the sounds of it.

I think possibly the search has resumed so that it can be confirmed and demonstrated that a thorough search did take place and that a huge effort was put into attempting to locate the little boy and that he simply is/was not in the surrounding woods and therefore one of two things happened, an abduction or something more nefarious.

I am sitting on both hands. I truly, moo, believe that if this little guy had wandered off into the woods at the time he reportedly did searchers would have located him by now, that first night. One may think about how fast this little boy perhaps ran off and "got away" but I am of the opinion that searchers are much faster and smarter and diligent than a two year old and that first night, if truly he had only been gone for one hour, he would have been found in those woods.

In watching the video of the father, and seeing the view above his home, it looks as if there's some clearing there around his home. It's not up against the side of a mountain. K's probably walked up in there, with his parents sometimes. Mine love to walk in the woods.

He could have started out playing his own brand of hide and seek too, seeing how they described him. I know folks who've done that as kids. Their parents were hysterical and their child had fallen asleep in their hiding place.

Little K may have been doing something much the same, only woke up and was disoriented in the woods, and walked further into the woods instead of toward home. The color of his clothing might make him harder to see, too.

Given the described terrain etc. I cannot imagine that a 22 month old was able to get away so fast and so far in such a short amount of time that he cannot now be located. I am aware anything is possible and there is always that exception but I just do not see it, especially once darkness set in, hopefully I will be proven wrong. I still am concerned about the statement made earlier today suggesting there are circumstances that just cannot be talked about right now...something like that.

If a 22 month old clearly and surely wandered off what would there be that "cannot be talked about"? And like others here have mentioned, why call off a search so early in the game, although I do know they have resumed searching from the sounds of it.

I think possibly the search has resumed so that it can be confirmed and demonstrated that a thorough search did take place and that a huge effort was put into attempting to locate the little boy and that he simply is/was not in the surrounding woods and therefore one of two things happened, an abduction or something more nefarious.

I am sitting on both hands. I truly, moo, believe that if this little guy had wandered off into the woods at the time he reportedly did searchers would have located him by now, that first night. One may think about how fast this little boy perhaps ran off and "got away" but I am of the opinion that searchers are much faster and smarter and diligent than a two year old and that first night, if truly he had only been gone for one hour, he would have been found in those woods.

In watching the video of the father, and seeing the view above his home, it looks as if there's some clearing there around his home. It's not up against the side of a mountain. K's probably walked up in there, with his parents sometimes. Mine love to walk in the woods.

He could have started out playing his own brand of hide and seek too, seeing how they described him. I know folks who've done that as kids. Their parents were hysterical and their child had fallen asleep in their hiding place.

Little K may have been doing something much the same, only woke up and was disoriented in the woods, and walked further into the woods instead of toward home. It's also different in the woods. The canopy of the trees, makes the lighting different, and sounds are even different, at least it is for me. The color of his clothing might make him harder to see, too.
Oh, that makes me shake. I was not aware of that kind of dynamic in that area.
Please, not that. If so, he may well never be found. But still, why stop looking -- has this ever happened in that area before?

It doesn't happen everyday but it does happen. The most recent, famous ones are the Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, KY., and the Louisville Zoo. They seem to happen closer to rivers and underground springs after heavy rains.

Little K may have been doing something much the same, only woke up and was disoriented in the woods, and walked further into the woods instead of toward home. It's also different in the woods. The canopy of the trees, makes the lighting different, and sounds are even different, at least it is for me. The color of his clothing might make him harder to see, too.

It doesn't happen everyday but it does happen. The most recent, famous ones are the Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, KY., and the Louisville Zoo. They seem to happen closer to rivers and underground springs after heavy rains.

Idk it gets fairly steep , and fairly quickly on 3 sides of that hollow area. I'm fairly confident if searchers said they had a hard time even searching that area, a less than 2 yr old toddler was not walking or even climbing up those steep hillsides.

I think their belief is that because of the topography of the 1/2 mile radius and coupled with the scent dogs not finding a trail that he did not infact travel through that area

I think they may now either be searching areas that he may have gotten to based on walking down the driveway and down the road, or they have information to lead them to a specific location

JMO

I agree. It's extremely rugged terrain in that area, and they could walk near him and not know. If he's afraid he may not even cry out to answer them, or come toward them. The population is not huge either. Have to keep dogs and humans rested and ready to go out again. I'd be leaving out light solar lights along the edges of the woods in case he might see them. Sit in one spot and call to him. Voice carries further in the night.
That's what I've been thinking as each night has passed. Play his favorite music, or have mom and dad's voice call over a loud speaker. He may be able to try to get to the sound.

I don’t see him going out of the yard in sandals or barefoot.
Little feet are tender.
Cajun S & R will be here Thursday.
Kenneth Howard is described as having blonde hair and blue eyes and was last seen wearing red jogging pants, sandals and a gray Avengers t-shirt.

Red pants should stand out against the green grass.

She's in pretty bad shape too, she'd tore all to pieces. It's just not knowing what to do. We've searched everywhere we can think of they've had dog teams in here nothings showing up.

When asked about what he thinks happened, Elden said, "yeah, it's just like he disappeared. No sign, no nothing. That's the reason I'm started to think, if we can't find him, somebody's picked him up."

"I want him home safe"; Father offers $5,000 reward for missing Magoffin County toddler

I wanted to highlight this full statement. When I first saw it it wasn't complete and it sounded really bad. This in context sounds much better.

If he is found in the surrounding area at some point, it won’t be good for the person making the call to suspend the search.

Unless he didn't die from natural causes. That will just prove they were correct that he wasn't wandering around out there.

Anyone think there’s significance to this occurring on Mothers Day?

My first thought was if Dad was "watching" him so Mom could have a day off. Lots of families do that. My Mom only did that her first 2 Mother's Days... when she came home and found me in the street she decided against it the following year.

It did say family allowed volunteers to continue.

ALLOWED them to continue?
Um... shouldn't that say BEGGED AND PLEADED for them to continue?
Does that mean the family did NOT allow the others to continue? It's probably just worded badly but I don't like it. Almost makes it sound like the parents don't want the search.

Last edited:
“It’s like he just disappeared. Like he’s just gone. He was outside with his dad and we see he just went around the back of the house, and when he went around after, he was just gone,” said Samantha Moore, mother of 22-month-old Kenneth Neil Howard.

“I just feel like I’m in a daze. Like it’s just a nightmare,” said Moore.

Mother of missing Magoffin County toddler speaks out - ABC 36 News

I don't recall a search for a lost baby being called off for more INFO before unless it had been days and days with nothing found and you assume it's because fatigue has set into searchers and they've already looked ' everywhere'. So what gives here? Is this a tiny, poor, rural area that maybe cannot afford to spend anymore on this search? Nothing else makes sense, except a suspicion of foul play. Even with foul play, the baby has to be found. Head scratcher.
Beats me why things were stopped -- maybe some idea that didn't "turn out." I think even in this sparsely populated area, people would have continued to search, and others would have joined. Somebody would have to direct them, but that wouldn't have been that big a deal. Even if the search was scattered, some areas would have been covered -- people want to help.
Maybe there was a mix-up with the handing over of the case from the county to KSP.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back