Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

Well I just rabbit holed over on FB groups.. I only follow the larger ones. There is some tea being spilled and photos of characters. I’m convinced we yet again will not have the hopeful outcome.

“It’s like he just disappeared. Like he’s just gone. He was outside with his dad and we see he just went around the back of the house, and when he went around after, he was just gone,” said Samantha Moore, mother of 22-month-old Kenneth Neil Howard.

“I just feel like I’m in a daze. Like it’s just a nightmare,” said Moore.

Mother of missing Magoffin County toddler speaks out - ABC 36 News

I was wondering if any bear had been seen in the area.... We've had them on our place, so I keep a watch out for them.

In watching the video of the father, and seeing the view above his home, it looks as if there's some clearing there around his home. It's not up against the side of a mountain. K's probably walked up in there, with his parents sometimes. Mine love to walk in the woods.

He could have started out playing his own brand of hide and seek too, seeing how they described him. I know folks who've done that as kids. Their parents were hysterical and their child had fallen asleep in their hiding place.

Little K may have been doing something much the same, only woke up and was disoriented in the woods, and walked further into the woods instead of toward home. It's also different in the woods. The canopy of the trees, makes the lighting different, and sounds are even different, at least it is for me. The color of his clothing might make him harder to see, too.

It doesn't happen everyday but it does happen. The most recent, famous ones are the Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, KY., and the Louisville Zoo. They seem to happen closer to rivers and underground springs after heavy rains.
Oh, yes, I do remember the Corvette Museum event -- now I understand it better -- here and then gone. That sounds like it could happen to anyone or anything if in the wrong area. Scary.
I'm still stuck on the dog search -- even if they didn't go out as far as was needed, certainly due to fatigue, etc., they still should have been able to locate a scent from around the house.
(Please excuse my hang-up with the dogs -- I know I sound like a broken record -- I just don't understand that part of the investigation.)

deleted -- duplicate post

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the dogs have been able to track that?

They wouldn't be looking for a bear scent though. If he'd run up on a mother black bear it could explain why he vanished so quickly. They are faster than they look. This is mid-May, so they're caring for cubs, still, and are protective. We had cubs and a mother pass through our place, and in surrounding places in the county. I warned everyone I knew on our road. Bears normally don't pose a problem unless people have been feeding them, or they get nervous about their cubs.

My husband was over there with Magoffin County SAR most of the day yesterday, but then they suddenly stopped everyone and sent them home. He thought it was just in the one area that he was in, but others said that the whole thing was suspended. They didn't give him the call this morning. My family comes from Magoffin County. My cousin Betty Jo helps run the historical society and she knows the family well (I do not). We were just there 2 week ago to visit (and the Dairy Queen has literally not changed in 30 years...I think it may even have the same employees). It's a nice town right there off the Mountain Parkway. I grew up in Hazel Green in nearby Wolfe County and it was one of the places where we'd go to shop. They don't usually see things like this.

This is not going to have a good outcome, I'm afraid. I think at this point the best outcome would be that he is with other people who are seeing to his needs. At least then he'd be alive. Mountains are high and woods thick over there. And it's been freezing cold and rainy for the past 2 days (today looks nice, though). I don't see how he could have survived overnight.
I believe this is what the Sheriff is talking about when he's referencing circumstances he needs to keep under wraps. I don't know if there are large wild animals in the area, but I do know that it's been cold enough to cause death, especially if you've gotten wet from muddy swampy areas and puddles. I wouldn't want to say that outloud to anyone that is searching for him and definitely not to the parents.

IMO, because LE has info that would deem a search fruitless.

I'm trying very hard to sit on my hands.
I'm hoping that you're talking about a family member taking him. Haven't heard anything about a mother being in the home. I really hope they think that the mom came and took him, if she doesn't live in the home with him & his dad.

They wouldn't be looking for a bear scent though. If he'd run up on a mother black bear it could explain why he vanished so quickly. They are faster than they look. This is mid-May, so they're caring for cubs, still, and are protective. We had cubs and a mother pass through our place, and in surrounding places in the county. I warned everyone I knew on our road. Bears normally don't pose a problem unless people have been feeding them, or they get nervous about their cubs.

But if the bear takes a toddler I think it would stand to reason that the dogs could track the toddlers scent towards where the bear was taking him.....

According to search and rescue , the dogs were never able to pickup a scent

Jmo

But if the bear takes a toddler I think it would stand to reason that the dogs could track the toddlers scent towards where the bear was taking him.....

It's according to the dogs and their training. I don't know which kinds they have used thus far.

Air-scent dogs work with their nose in the air. They pick up human scent anywhere in the vicinity -- they don't need a "last seen" starting point, an article to work from or a scent trail, and time is not an issue.

Tracking dogs work with their nose to the ground. They follow a trail of human scent -- typically heavy skin particles that fall quickly to the ground or onto bushes -- through any type of terrain. These dogs are not searching, they're following: Tracking dogs need a "last seen" starting point, an article with the person's scent on it to work from and an uncontaminated trail."

Cadaver and water-search dogs are the only types specifically trained to scent for human remains, although all SAR dogs will alert to remains if they find them."

How Search-and-rescue Dogs Work

ETA: Sometimes dogs just miss a scent. Like humans, they are fallible.

I am like many WSers. Why did they suspend the search less than 24 hrs in? That is so bizarre to me volunteers are not professionals. So my ideas: Remember the kidnappings where a child would be abducted from their room. Kidnapper would either walk right in the door or go through their bedroom window, pick them up & walk away. 24 hours later they'd be found down the road from home, alive but...abused. If I'm not mistaken this was on FBI site or the culprit was on video on their site? Anyway, I'd call off a search if I thought a kidnapper might bring a child back and drop him nearby if I blvd they were scared of the searchers or crowd etc. Then there is always a family member thT runs LE off the property in a raging fit for implying their family's involvement in a disappearance....then there's the possibilty no scent to track etc or the wrong type of scent dog, regroup & come back with a different type scent dog at this stage? Are they using cadaver dogs yet?

I'm just catching up with this one but I think I became aware of little Kenneth missing because I read Toney Wade and his Cajun search and rescue are headed there!
I'm confused. Is the search on or off?

I'm just catching up with this one but I think I became aware of little Kenneth missing because I read Toney Wade and his Cajun search and rescue are headed there!
I'm confused. Is the search on or off?

This site has several updates. News 11p.m. said they were still searching. They did stop for awhile and then resumed. I personally think they needed fresh SAR dogs, and people. It's a small community.

Search for Kenneth Howard

I'm from Salyersville, Ky. Grew up there, still have lots of family & friends there. I agree. One of 2 things has happened, imo. My brother is a member of the Rescue Squad. He was sleeping when I called to ask him if he knew anything new. But, I have spoke to others, includings friends that are related to this family & this has almost all I spoke with scratching their heads. And I was told (hear-say) the mother, Samantha Martin, & the father, Elden Howard, are divorced, or in the process, but are still living together.
Unfortunately, imo- this isnt going to end well. When I was first told about this, I just had an atrocious feeling. Is it because of so many lurid stories we hear more & more on the news? Maybe, but at the end of the day, 1+1 will always equal two. If it doesnt, somethings wrong.
Ive had a terrible, gut wrenching feeling, and as each hour goes by, the unwanted outcome appears to be forcing through to reality. I hope with everything in me that Im wrong. I hope, like many, that this repugnant feeling is wrong. I hope this beautiful, sweet, innocent child is brought to safety--alive. If the unfathomable has happened,,, at least let his little body be found and laid to rest.
*Also--Not sure what page # I saw the link someone posted,(Im sorry,having issues w/ lagging & not able to click pages on this thread) but "Combs Branch", is not the same road as "Kenneth Combs Branch", where little Kenneths parents live. Thats the total opposite side of the County. Combs Branch is "sorta" toward Morgan County. The Howard's live near the Floyd County line.

Oh, that makes me shake. I was not aware of that kind of dynamic in that area.
Please, not that. If so, he may well never be found. But still, why stop looking -- has this ever happened in that area before?
Imo- I believe when its being said they "were called off", that doesnt mean all the agencies stop looking. Perhaps the local Rescue Squad, for time being. I previously read that they had been called off, but I spoke to a neighbor that said that wasnt true(at that time).She drove past several cars from different surrounding counties, and there was several still looking.
Imo, it just doesnt make sense to stop searching, until he is found--and hopefully alive(surely there would be something to show signs of animal incident, ---if that were the case) There are coyotes, bears, and have also been bobcat sightings in the County.
I hope this is allowed: The local news station is called "Our News Today with Ritt Mortimer". Can be watched on FB. Comes in at 7pm,EST. Also, the larger news Stations are WKYT and WYMT (Both Eastern KY) as well as WSAZ (Huntington WV)
Please keep this little boy, his loved ones, & all those searching in your thoughts.
Thank You

Last edited:
I watched the Mother’s interview. I do sympathize with her because she does appear to be grieving.

She doesn’t call “Kenny” by name, she just says she feels dazed and she can’t eat or sleep.

No mention of her concern that her 22 mo old baby is out in the night, all alone, cold, wet and hungry.

IMHO, sadly, I think an accident happened to little Kenny and this is a cover up by the parents to make it appear that he just wandered away.

Very sad.

JMHO

Last edited:
I watched the Mother’s interview. I do sympathize with her because she does appear to be grieving.

She doesn't call “Kenny” by name, she just says she feels dazed and she can’t eat or sleep.

No mention of her concern that her 22 mo old baby is out in the night, all alone, cold, wet and hungry.

IMHO, sadly, I think an accident happened to little Kenny and this is a cover-up to make it appear that he just wandered away.

Very sad.

JMHO

I can't help but agree. I almost felt that she was acting in that video and talked more about how she was feeling than what might be happening to her son.

I know it's easy to be suspiscious of the parents in these cases but I do feel a bit odd about the mother in this one. Haven't made my mind up about the father yet.

Last edited:
“It’s like he just disappeared. Like he’s just gone. He was outside with his dad and we see he just went around the back of the house, and when he went around after, he was just gone,” said Samantha Moore, mother of 22-month-old Kenneth Neil Howard.

“I just feel like I’m in a daze. Like it’s just a nightmare,” said Moore.

Mother of missing Magoffin County toddler speaks out - ABC 36 News
So in this case, Kenneth either fell into a hole and was swallowed up by the earth. Or someone was lying in wait to snatch him and run uphill into the woods. Or...what else? Because he's a little boy and he didn't just go poof' and vanish. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back