Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

That poor baby is covered in dirt and small scratches. I believe he was really out there the entire time. MOO.
I agree 100%. I am now trying to wrap my brain on how he could have gotten onto a 50 ft cliff? Did he fall onto the cliff, I'm not envisioning the situation yet, if he moved could he have fallen from that "cliff". Can't get my head around it. Either way, he's safe, I couldn't be more thrilled.

I agree 100%. I am now trying to wrap my brain on how he could have gotten onto a 50 ft cliff? Did he fall onto the cliff, I'm not envisioning the situation yet, if he moved could he have fallen from that "cliff". Can't get my head around it. Either way, he's safe, I couldn't be more thrilled.

I took it to mean he was near a drop-off area. Like if he was at the top of a ravine and he could have fallen down had he walked that way. I don't think they meant he was on a small piece of land high up somewhere, but I could be wrong. Either way, thank goodness he was found and not seriously harmed! MOO.

Sometimes search dogs will have issues in weather. I've also seen them have problems if there are lots of overlapping scents of the same person. It's possible that with the rainy weather we had Saturday and Sunday that they had issues figuring out which scent was the newest. If Kenneth played outside a lot, and last week was really nice so he probably did. there could've been lots of overlaps in and around his yard and possibly even up into the woods if his family had gone hiking or anything recently. They may have just missed it. We've seen it happen before. Search dogs can be great, but they're a lot like people and can be prone to error.

The searchers knew that they'd be going to that area this morning. Word had spread that they were going to be close to the Magoffin/Floyd County line. Could someone have overheard the info and gotten there before the searchers? Possible. The place where he was found isn't difficult to get to, you can get in and out quickly, although he was down in a kind of ravine and had to be lifted out. Could he have gotten there himself without any major injuries? Probably.

This same thing happened in November to a little girl who lives just 2 miles down the road from us. Big search, national news, and everyone thought she was abducted. Nope, she'd just wandered off and was eventually found huddled under a tree. So it DOES happen. Considering the weather, the terrain, his lack of footwear, and lack of solid trail for the dogs, though, it's kind of peculiar. Maybe that friendly bear DID come over here and hang out. :)

It’s wild to think how he was able to drink water during this time. He is a BABY! How did he know to even look for it? Wow! He’s going to be an outdoorsman for sure!

Wow! Such wonderful, terrific, awesome news! I heard when it was breaking because something told me to check in on him!

To survive the conditions he faced, at his age--WOW! What a tough cookie!

I was hoping this would be like the toddler girl that was found in the woods in Kentucky not long ago. But from the start this was suspicious. Who waits an hour to call 911....maybe it doesn't sound that long until you have young children. When my kids have gone "missing" briefly around the house/yard my heart is pounding, my mind is racing, I am a total wreck. It's the worst feeling in the world. Even not seeing one at school pick up immediately I get that panicky feeling. An hour just blows my mind.
But they did call the fire and rescue people before an hour had passed. Right? Weren't they called shortly after he was missed? Didn't they come and help dad & his brother search & then called 911 when he wasn't found within the area that they believed he would be? I would think that I'd do the same thing. It's fire & rescue. Isn't that who 911 calls to come in to search? Maybe the parents assumed fire & rescue had called 911 when they received the call. I don't know what the procedures are, but I would assume the fire & rescue people would contact 911 when they received a rescue call directly to their facility. The parents should have thought to ask if they had contacted 911. I'd like to think that I would have been alert enough to ensure that everyone who could help search was contacted. However, I don't really know what I would do in that situation. Am I going to be in a state of shock because I can't find my baby and be unable to think of anything, or am I going to be on alert and ensure that I do everything that I need to do to make sure everyone I can contact is there to help me? I really don't know how I'd react.

But they did call the fire and rescue people before an hour had passed.

Reportedly, yes.
I don’t think an hour is terribly long, personally. We’ve all had a dog wander off (I know a child is dif) and we start looking, thinking we will find it, only he’s moving as we move, so we aren’t progressing. In the heat of the moment time slips away. Jmo
Also, they probably looked in buildings, the house and close to the house areas , not thinking he was out of the yard.

But they did call the fire and rescue people before an hour had passed. Right? Weren't they called shortly after he was missed? Didn't they come and help dad & his brother search & then called 911 when he wasn't found within the area that they believed he would be? I would think that I'd do the same thing. It's fire & rescue. Isn't that who 911 calls to come in to search? Maybe the parents assumed fire & rescue had called 911 when they received the call. I don't know what the procedures are, but I would assume the fire & rescue people would contact 911 when they received a rescue call directly to their facility. The parents should have thought to ask if they had contacted 911. I'd like to think that I would have been alert enough to ensure that everyone who could help search was contacted. However, I don't really know what I would do in that situation. Am I going to be in a state of shock because I can't find my baby and be unable to think of anything, or am I going to be on alert and ensure that I do everything that I need to do to make sure everyone I can contact is there to help me? I really don't know how I'd react.

Yes they did - I apologized for that comment! Sorry again!

7pm news update: KH is in pretty good shape for “possibly”being in the area since Sunday. Wlex

(No link up yet)

Also: Authorities are continuing to investigate how Kenneth became lost, but there is no evidence currently to suggest any criminal activity, Petry said.

So, a couple of key words here, from previously linked articles.
I think the investigation is going to take a bit of time.
Moo

Also: Authorities are continuing to investigate how Kenneth became lost, but there is no evidence currently to suggest any criminal activity, Petry said.

So, a couple of key words here, from previously linked articles.
I think the investigation is going to take a bit of time.
Moo
I agree. I like to know how he was able to get into the spot he actually ended up. Maybe now that he's been found, backtracking can be done to follow any trail he left. I'd just be curious to know where he was the entire time and what precautions a parent would need to watch for in this little adventurer. Don't want this to happen again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back