Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than 3,000 tips since new sketch, footage in Delphi case
ISP encourage tips 'no matter how insignificant'
May 13, 2019

“More than 3,000 tips have been given to investigators about a 2017 Delphi double homicide after never-before-seen video footage and a new sketch were released in late April.

Since a news briefing on April 22, a multi-agency task force has received more than 2,600 emails, 506 calls to the tip line and an additional 145 calls and/or walk-ins to local police departments and state police posts across Indiana, the Indiana State Police announced Monday.“

I agree. A real downer of an interview this morning, after all the excitement and energy from the PC. Whatever compelled LE to “change direction” seems to have still left them looking for that “that one tip” that they’ve been looking for for over two years.
There is not one new thing presented at that press conference that could not have been released two years ago.
....LE did not, in my opinion, just find out about the car at the CPS building. I do believe they got a tip about it recently but who is going to remember it now?
....The new sketch from four days after the murders may have been the first sketch that was made of a possible suspect or POI. Why do you not release it then? Two years later, this is the guy, without a doubt. Two years later.
....How many times were we told that grainy, blurry, pixelated mess of a picture of BG on the bridge was the best they had. But two years later they release a tiny video portion that for a brief moment clears just a tad and appears to show BG is actually much slimmer and younger than we thought. LE had that video for two years, but let us, encouraged us, to look for a dumpy old guy. Why would they do that? The old sketch even looked younger but LE still insisted he was old.
....LE released the “down the hill” audio which was virtually worthless in my opinion. Two years later they add ONE word that changes BG from an old guy to a much younger guy. They just now noticed this?
The sum of it all is for two years LE has allowed the public, even fed information to the public, that the suspect was older and out of shape, when they had information that BG was younger and fitter. Why would you do that? It’s hard not to feel a little deceived. Their previous strategy defies logic.
I don’t usually use bad language but I will now...cold case.
What I wonder is with all the energy, excitement, drama and hope with the PC, why would they go on GMA to say we have nothing? Another strategy? I’m baffled.

First I want to say, I had quite an "awakening" today, and so much of what I strongly believed, I don't anymore. Other things I still feel are probable, such as BG living in the area and being very familiar with the terrain, not living directly in Delphi, but not too far away. I no longer believe they know or even have a suspicion of who did it. JMO

Another poster brought something up today that made me consider another possibility as well and I wonder if LE have even considered it, or if a tip has come in since the new sketch was released, being of course, the very first sketch produced 3 days after the murders. What if the killer is dead? If someone looks at that sketch and has an AH HAA moment and submits a tip, how would LE go about investigating it if it is solely based on the sketch. How do they achieve probable cause to get a SW for cell data or DNA?

What I wonder is with all the energy, excitement, drama and hope with the PC, why would they go on GMA to say we have nothing? Another strategy? I’m baffled.

I’m behind and catching up but my guess would be to get as much exposure and publicity about this case as they can get. That’s a lot of new potential viewers. I haven’t seen the GMA segment yet; thanks to those who provided updates.

ETA:
“Through August 19 -- broadcast season-to-date -- ABC' s “Good Morning America” claims top numbers when it comes to overall viewers -- but just barely with an average Nielsen 3.780 million viewers. This is just ahead of NBC's “Today,” which has 3.778 million. “CBS This Morning” comes in at 2.8 million viewers.”

'Today,' 'GMA' In Tight Race For Viewers
Aug 24, 2018

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone could feel safer by NOT turning in a killer of little girls. Besides, why would anyone be afraid of him ? He's not a tough guy, he's a killer of little girls !! Like the police said : "he's a coward" so the story of someone too afraid to turn him in doesn't hold water with me.

I don’t quite understand it either. This same message was also expressed regarding the lack of a tip from somebody who knows sketch #1. If the suspect was indeed older he could be an abuser of a woman too scared to speak out or someone supporting a dependent senior, something like that, but the younger the suspect the less chance somebody is afraid to come forward.

But there is one possibility I can think of where fear could be involved - the suspect is a gang member and the murders were motiveless aside from a maniacal dare in order to prove himself and elevate his standing in the organization.

Well I do have to admit the GMA interview today didn't leave me much to dissect because I didn't learn much.

I have held off on posting my developing theory because I was really reluctant to 'go there' for many reasons, but now I am going to put some of my theory out there....hypothetically speaking so it hopefully does not get deleted.

Sorry...its long. Feel free to scroll and roll....

So...hypothetically speaking, if someone was parked at the DCS building early that day because they were there under the guise of 'working' then others may not have readily realized that this could be a 'real' tip at the time, or even today.

For example, if a LE vehicle was there on a regular basis to ticket for speeding, it may not register to people that because a police car was there occasionally, one may also have been there that day.

Hypothetically, if someone caught a blurry glimpse of a police car there on their dashboard camera from that day and submitted footage, or a person who was interviewed mentioned seeing a police car....it may have been followed-up on with some questions at the time but dismissed immediately if an officer denied doing speeding traffic stops that day or said that they had been there the day before, or yes they were there on the 13th but left before noon. (One caveat is that I have no knowledge as to whether or not police cars have GPS in them in Delphi.)

Perhaps the sketch that was provided just a few days after the murders was a sketch of a LE officer who had been spotted doing speeding stops that day but it was dismissed immediately because it didn't fit with what they thought could be possible....and now they know better.

Maybe they don't have DNA to tie him to the crime, or perhaps he was a part of the chain of custody at the crime scene and a piece of evidence went missing before it was logged and looking back at their records they now have now realized this based on discussions, but can't prove it. (In no way, shape or form do I think that they screwed up...i am basing this scenario on the premise that the suspect was always on step ahead.)

"You made mistakes"....

JMO....Can they be trying to put the pressure on one of their own to confess because they now know it had to be him? Maybe he has changed so much since then (physically, work performance, temperment, etc. that's why Carter mentioned it?)

JMO. They know who it is... but they can't tie him to the crime because he had a reason for being parked where he was in an official capacity and nobody ID'd him on the trail?

That guy on the bridge was so covered up....its tough to reconcile his build and walk with the dude in sketch #2. But JMO, he could be walking with the mannerisms of a cop.

JMO, It sure does look like he has a gun in that right pocket....as well as a long flashlight or baton stuffed in the right pant leg. If he had his uniform on underneath....it could account for how 'layered' he looks on top as well as what he could have on under those jeans.

Maybe the sketch closely matches the cop doing routine speeding stops but he says he was not on the bridge or trail and there's nothing to tie that same person to the crime scene. No DNA and no witness stating that they saw the cop in the uniform stopping Joe Blow for speeding at the highway dressed in something else on the trail later on.

Perhaps the 'tip' they are looking for is someone to say they saw a cop on the trail earlier that day. That places him where he shouldn't have been!

I'm aware of theory is 'out there' and it can be poked with holes, but I thought I would try it out anyhow.

JMO, my own speculations, hypothetically speaking etc.
MOO If it was a cop, it would have been a dirty cop that was worried the girls caught him doing something illegal. That might have also been the motive for a non-cop. It's not necessarily someone with blood lust. I guess the COD, any abuse, and placements of the bodies might show differently, but we wouldn't know that evidence.
I wonder if any homes in that area had cameras that would have observed a car, or even someone on foot or bike, not belonging to someone inside that area, coming and going during those times. I wonder if anyone else that went to those trails that day could have inadvertently caught the guy on their camera. I feel like they know someone was parking at the building that day and this person is the only one who hasn't come in and said they were there that day. They can't clear this person because they don't know who this person is. Was this person the unsub, or is this person just someone who doesn't live in Indiana even and doesn't even remember what town they were in when they decided to take a nap or stretch their legs. Maybe he didn't even drive. Maybe he is a hitchhiker or has a dirt bike. I also think too much is being made out of "guys". There aren't that many ways to say "you plural" in our language. Options are "girls", "guys", "yall", "you guys", "you two", "people". Honestly, "guys" is the most colloquial of all of them. It's the tone that seems odd for someone possibly getting ready to pull a gun. It sounds very casual, but that could be because the recording became muffled inside the girls coat.

Yes, that is the question, isn't it? Why was it never released, put aside in favour of a sketch involving a few people 5 months later. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
I keep wondering if maybe the sketch got misfiled and just recently turned up while going through files for another case, or someone cleaned their desk. Those are the only reasons I can think of unless someone recognized the sketch and dismissed it due to that person having another reason to be there.

Attacking them in broad daylight, coupled with the risk of discovery, was not only “high risk” on his part, it was flat out stupid.

I think your characterization of him being “desperate,” is accurate. He clearly doesn’t have a great deal of self control.

RSBM

I agree with most of what you said here, but have to disagree with your last paragraph (and with the op post you reference re the perp being desperate). A person can be reckless, foolish, and/or a risk-taker, etc. without being desperate.

Perhaps he is fatalistic, nihilistic, or again, just reckless. "Desperation" conjures up a picture of someone who seems hunted, like a caged animal, to me. He may not be that. He may be cavalier, arrogant, detached. It would seem not, but who knows.

Now that I've typed this it suddenly seems to me a terribly inconsequential distinction. I just felt the need to point it out since all these words and descriptions create their own particular "sketch," if you will, and of course the more precise and accurate the better.

This is all MOO and could be all wrong!

Yes I think they did fear they had fallen and were severely injured and in an area that was difficult to access or perhaps even in the creek. They may have thought they were lost but the risk was pretty good they were injured. I can't understand waiting to go in after them past the crack of dawn.

By watching those videos, I can understand why a thorough grid search could never have been conducted in every direction, under the bridge, around and away from the trails during the middle of the night....not to mention the risk of accident to the searchers, including probably going all night with no sleep and then searching again in daylight.

“By 5 p.m. a full-blown search party was combing the woods. The whole time, the families thought their girls were just hurt, cold and lost.

“Somebody has fallen and gotten hurt. They have a terrible sense of direction. Something has happened we just did not know what,” said Abby’s mom, Anna Williams....”
Delphi families take CBS4 through Abby and Libby’s last hours

I don't understand how anyone could feel safer by NOT turning in a killer of little girls. Besides, why would anyone be afraid of him ? He's not a tough guy, he's a killer of little girls !! Like the police said : "he's a coward" so the story of someone too afraid to turn him in doesn't hold water with me.
Being a pathetic coward, who has been hunted for 2 years now and certainly is afraid of "loss of honor" and of course afraid of going to prison for the rest of his life, he has probably become even more dangerous than he ever was. IMO

I found some additional information pertaining to the girl's discovery (contained in the media thread), while our Mods were reviewing posts:

2 bodies found positively ID'd as missing teens

Two bodies were found by volunteers on Tuesday less than a mile from where the girls were originally dropped off. The bodies were found on private property, about 50 feet from the shore of Deer Creek. Sources tell Call 6 Investigates that a set of footprints are what led volunteers to the area the bodies were found.

And the following information about who/and again how discovery was made:

The Delphi Murders — Unresolved

The search crews gathered near the Monon High Bridge at around 10:00 AM, hoping to expand outwards in separate directions and cover a good plot of land during daylight hours.

This search only last a couple of hours, however, as a discovery was made by the Delphi Fire Department shortly after noon. At around 12:45 PM, officials with the fire department had followed a set of footprints to a location roughly 50 feet away from the north bank of Deer Creek - roughly half-a-mile east of the bridge. The Delphi Fire Chief reported the discovery as "not good," and indicated that it was the missing girls' bodies.

Well if any good came from it, I suppose somebody who has that “one tip” LE is waiting for isn’t sitting back thinking why bother because LE already knows who he is. That’s my best (and only) semi-optimistic guess.

Has LE ever said something along the lines of, “we believe there’s a killer or on the loose” or, “we believe this person will strike again?”

I haven’t seen it if so, and am genuinely curious if I missed it.

If not, to me, there’s a reason for that. They know way more than we do.

All JMO, and not trying to cause an uproar.
I don't think it means anything. MOO No police department wants to be responsible for causing a panic.

I keep wondering if maybe the sketch got misfiled and just recently turned up while going through files for another case, or someone cleaned their desk. Those are the only reasons I can think of unless someone recognized the sketch and dismissed it due to that person having another reason to be there.
I have a hard time believing they could be that sloppy in such a huge investigation. If they didn't believe the witness was credible why even bother calling in a sketch artist?
Another thought on that. Is it just me, but the OBG sketch appears to be a much more detailed sketch and of superior skill. Almost too good compared to the other :) Too bad they didn't have that artist do the first one. JMO

Yup, and that witness/those witnesses will likely take their knowledge of this heinous crime to their graves with them. Are they likely worried sick that, to offer the information that they do have to LE, it would mean an instant loss of job/income, as well as respect in a very small community (where they have likely lived a long-ish time, to establish such a "good name")? Guessing the answer to that question would be a shaking, upset, nervous "Yes".

Might they also be worried for their own lives, were they to actually reveal the "missing puzzle pieces" (known only to them)? Yes, absolutely. Their lives have changed dramatically since Feb. 13, 2017 -- but they have been doing their best at trying to just "carry on" as if nothing earth-shaking had just unglued their world(s).

Maybe someone in the Delphi area/general small towns nearby Delphi could make a list of the various families/couples they know in the area, and ponder whether or not they've seen/noticed key changes in someone/several individuals who may be the suspect's parents or grandparents.

Another indication of a dramatic event may be the appearance of depression or of a new need to spend time alone or away/removed from people (a very tough thing to accomplish when working in a people-type occupation -- MOO). Thinking in particular right now not so much of the suspect, but of his family member(s) with whom he may live (or at least with whom he may "check in" from time to time).

Who knows? Maybe the suspect's parents/grandparents themselves needed a "quick fishing trip" to be away, and to "get out of Dodge" due to the "heat" of having to field many questions (and not at all "easy" questions, either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46