Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

Just some fluids, Mommy and Daddy, many kisses, maybe some ice cream(!), a warm bath, a long sleep in a soft bed, and he'll be good as new. And maybe a fenced-in yard!! :)
Still smiling!

Nah, this kid would just scale the fence. :) Though door alarms and a GPS chip might not be a bad idea.

That poor baby is covered in dirt and small scratches. I believe he was really out there the entire time. MOO.

I agree. I highly doubt someone had him and then dropped him off. At least for now I'm just going to enjoy the happy ending and hope it all remains that way.

Remember, the case is not closed. Previous msm reports
The child was “possibly” outside for nearly three days & no criminality “currently”, per KSP Trooper Petry.

I think you're combining "words" from two different stories and sources and combining them to infer one, or at least emphasize, a possibility of nefariousness.

IMO, neither one of the quoted words from either makes that so, or infers so based upon the original context they were each used separately in.

"Possibly" came in the context of the official sources saying the child had been lost for three days and possibly out in the elements for all three of those. IMO, that doesn't mean they need to rule out kidnapping etc, it means the child was lost for three days and possibly out in the elements for all three (IE: had not found shelter to hide in for any of those for example).

"Currently" means there is no reason to doubt the story as of now (yet you obviously do by your postings). As to "No criminality currently" - that doesn't mean there was a crime involved in this child disappearing or that anyone was involved, it just means that in this case, just as in every other case of missing children (both safely recovered and not so) that the guardian(s) of the child are going to be looked at (investigated) for possible negligence. If found to be so, then criminal charges can be laid. That's a standard investigative follow-up with missing kids and IMO in no way hints at nefarious or criminal activity being involved in the actual initial disappearance.

Same for the multitudes of comments on Dad's story changing and the inferences being made by some in that manner; sure, no breaking of TOS there, but some ensured their inferences were very obvious. Meanwhile, they were writings from papers -none with direct quotation marks around the dad's supposed words like this, "blah blah": Rule one in reading print media is "If it isn't in direct quotation marks, then it is not a direct quote from the source" it's someone else's words talking about what someone else said - it's heresy. It's also from initial media reports -very famously known for their INaccuracy as shown time after time after time after time after time ….

Likewise for the commentary in here regarding mom's SM and her apparent relationship issues. Not a word 'directly' against TOS, but certain as heck to be obvious to this little guy one day when he grows up and reads his name and thread here. Ironic then that the TOS are written in a way hoping to avoid exactly that kind of speculative stuff about the family - (the victims until official source statements indicate otherwise).

IMO, those that chose to sit on their hands until/if any evidence or statements from official sources came along to actually indicate something nefarious had occurred did the right thing.

Last edited:
littke K needs a diaper commercial. I’ve never heard of a diaper lasting for three days.
After the first 23 hours, he may not have had a need to "go" very often if he was low on food and fluids. But I am amazed and glad that he still had it on.
And yes, that diaper was about as tuff as that little boy!!

I took it to mean he was near a drop-off area. Like if he was at the top of a ravine and he could have fallen down had he walked that way. I don't think they meant he was on a small piece of land high up somewhere, but I could be wrong. Either way, thank goodness he was found and not seriously harmed! MOO.
My impression was, when MSM said that they had to use a bucket-type thing to get him, was that he had fallen down a hill and it was too steep for them to go and get him without the bucket. He may not have had to walk up much of an incline to fall down where he was found. I could be totally out of whack on this because I don't know what a strip mine area is like.
I'm hoping he slept most of the time he was down there in what had to be a scary place to him, so that his memory of it -- if there is one in his little head -- will fade away.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

Whew, what a day! First we heard they were gonna call off the search today, if nothing turned up again. Then we heard the dogs hit on something last night! Sure enough, he led them to the area the baby was found in. The folks from Rough Terrain Rescue posted this today:

We have had several comments and questions about our efforts last night. Our oldest hound Hank along with Handler Bill Reed and support Jacob Preece was able to establish a direction of travel last night, this information promoted search managers to concentrate on a specific area. This information ultimately lead searchers to Kenneth's location

A local fireman was the one who actually found him. They heard him cry, and kept looking. Thank God he was strong enough still to cry. My entire office burst into tears when we heard the news. He's with his mom and dad at the hospital now.
Folks wonder how he could make it in the hills so long? He's a hillbilly. We are born and raised in these hills. I spent my childhood wandering up and down these hills and hollers, barefoot half the time. He's a little mountain man! lol. Seriously, though, I believe that baby had angels with him.

I dont think there is ANY question of any type of foul play. A POSSIBILITY of maybe negligence, maybe, if that. There's rumors and some facts, but this was never nothing intentional or evil.

OH, how happy we are tonight!

A big hand for ole Hank!

60347239_2282937678452858_1016171502543831040_n.jpg
Thanks much for that great update, P-Z -- and a dog did help the searchers! Bravo Hank! My faith is restored. Look at that beautiful bloodhound -- typical slobber and all! This four-legged pro helped many two-legged heroes to know where to go looking. Lots of champions on this one!

I believe this case was exactly what it looks like it was-a little boy wandered off and wound up further from home than anyone thought. I don't think there was foul play involved. I DID think that, before he was found, but I don't now. I hope those rumors are put to rest soon.

I've never taken offence to being called a "hillbilly." It's always felt a bit like a badge of honor. Good for the little guy for hanging in there.

Im a proud hillbilly, too. If you've never been to our local "Hillbilly Days" festival, I suggest you come! Its awesome.

I think the same as you. Its easy for us to be jaded, and think the worst, as so many of these stories do. We hear time after time "missing baby" and then find out parents or someone family killed it. It makes this story even better, that it didn't turn out that way.

I've been watching this one from the beginning. WS has all of us jaded because we know what the outcome usually is. I'm SOOOOO happy that this one turned out so well!! What a sweet boy!

Speaking of how long before they reported him missing, well, I tend to give a little leeway here because of our experience with our own son.

We live in the country, a doctor owns 400 acres behind us. Now, eventually a mile or so away it leads to more houses, but it's heavily wooded and hilly. My son was around 2 and we were working in the yard. He was RIGHT by me playing. I went to plant something, turned around and he was gone. Vanished. I watched him like a hawk. I hollered for him, checked with my husband around back, we went through the house, back outside again and still could not find him!! Panic started setting in, but you don't really believe your child could get away from you that fast so you keep searching. We searched and searched and I decided to go through the house one more time looking in and under everything (even though he wasn't the kind of child to hide like that). I walk back to the master bath and flip on the light. There he sat going potty :O We had been hollering at him and he never answered. He just sat there in the dark doing what he needed to do. Funny now, but we were just getting ready to call the police and report him missing. But....the timeframe, probably 20-30 minutes. Like I said, you keep thinking they are just hiding somewhere. Or went to lay down and are hidden. You just don't think your child will walk off into the woods, especially when they are raised there and know better. So, I always tend to give the benefit of the doubt when I hear about someone's delay in reporting something. We don't ever want to think our "person" is missing, they will be right back, surely.

I really hope there isn't negligence in this one. I'm soooooo happy he survived! What a tough little cookie!

Poor baby. Must have been very cold.

Missing toddler found on 50-foot ledge told rescuers he was 'here all night'

A massive search for a missing 1-year-old boy ended with tears of joy from his parents Wednesday after he remarkably survived with only dehydration following nearly three days outside in the Kentucky hills near his home.

Rescuers told NBC News affiliate WSAZ that when they found 22-month-old Kenneth Howard sitting on a 50-foot rock ledge a quarter mile from his home in Magoffin County, the brave little boy kept repeating, "Here all night."

Howard spent more than 60 hours alone and outside after wandering off from his family's home on Mother's Day. A search involving the state police and more than 300 volunteers ultimately returned him safely to his parents.

@zecats today, the torrid heat & humidity KY is so blessed with begins rollling in. So glad he’s not out there, I think the intense sun would be much worse than the cooler weather. Plus, snakes are abundant in that area & will surely re-emerge for some warmth.

I think you're combining "words" from two different stories and sources and combining them to infer one, or at least emphasize, a possibility of nefariousness.

IMO, neither one of the quoted words from either makes that so, or infers so based upon the original context they were each used separately in.

"Possibly" came in the context of the official sources saying the child had been lost for three days and possibly out in the elements for all three of those. IMO, that doesn't mean they need to rule out kidnapping etc, it means the child was lost for three days and possibly out in the elements for all three (IE: had not found shelter to hide in for any of those for example).

"Currently" means there is no reason to doubt the story as of now (yet you obviously do by your postings). As to "No criminality currently" - that doesn't mean there was a crime involved in this child disappearing or that anyone was involved, it just means that in this case, just as in every other case of missing children (both safely recovered and not so) that the guardian(s) of the child are going to be looked at (investigated) for possible negligence. If found to be so, then criminal charges can be laid. That's a standard investigative follow-up with missing kids and IMO in no way hints at nefarious or criminal activity being involved in the actual initial disappearance.

Same for the multitudes of comments on Dad's story changing and the inferences being made by some in that manner; sure, no breaking of TOS there, but some ensured their inferences were very obvious. Meanwhile, they were writings from papers -none with direct quotation marks around the dad's supposed words like this, "blah blah": Rule one in reading print media is "If it isn't in direct quotation marks, then it is not a direct quote from the source" it's someone else's words talking about what someone else said - it's heresy. It's also from initial media reports -very famously known for their INaccuracy as shown time after time after time after time after time ….

Likewise for the commentary in here regarding mom's SM and her apparent relationship issues. Not a word 'directly' against TOS, but certain as heck to be obvious to this little guy one day when he grows up and reads his name and thread here. Ironic then that the TOS are written in a way hoping to avoid exactly that kind of speculative stuff about the family - (the victims until official source statements indicate otherwise).

IMO, those that chose to sit on their hands until/if any evidence or statements from official sources came along to actually indicate something nefarious had occurred did the right thing.
Agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said.

I am just catching up on a lot of what happened over the last few days due to being away and busy getting back but I am SO happy to see this turn out so well!! He reminds me of my youngest son who could climb rock walls at 18 months (literally). If I had lived in that wooded area when he was that age I would have had to put a tracking device on him along with bolts on every door. I was most nervous about water or animals out there with KH, gosh what a sigh of relief to see this ends so well!

After the first 23 hours, he may not have had a need to "go" very often if he was low on food and fluids. But I am amazed and glad that he still had it on.
And yes, that diaper was about as tuff as that little boy!!

One of the member's whose husband was involved in the rescue pointed out that the group on the ledge with the child were equipped with water, supplies and … pull-ups. I'm pretty certain that awesome photo of this little warrior was taken after they had tended to his immediate needs … having had 4 little ones of my own - a diaper change was probably pretty high on the list (whether or not he still had one on when found).

This little man was meant to be here - of that I am certain.

One of the member's whose husband was involved in the rescue pointed out that the group on the ledge with the child were equipped with water, supplies and … pull-ups. I'm pretty certain that awesome photo of this little warrior was taken after they had tended to his immediate needs … having had 4 little ones of my own - a diaper change was probably pretty high on the list (whether or not he still had one on when found).

This little man was meant to be here - of that I am certain.

Yes, they were equipped with some of the basic needs that he may have had. Groups were spread out so many of the small groups (I hesitate to say "all" because I don't know) had just some basic supplies with them-pull ups, water, bandages, blankets.

Im a proud hillbilly, too. If you've never been to our local "Hillbilly Days" festival, I suggest you come! Its awesome.

I think the same as you. Its easy for us to be jaded, and think the worst, as so many of these stories do. We hear time after time "missing baby" and then find out parents or someone family killed it. It makes this story even better, that it didn't turn out that way.

Ha ha, I set up there almost every year as a vendor! It's one of my favorite festivals.

And yes, this can definitely make you jaded. Always happy when there's a good outcome.

I've been watching this one from the beginning. WS has all of us jaded because we know what the outcome usually is. I'm SOOOOO happy that this one turned out so well!! What a sweet boy!

Speaking of how long before they reported him missing, well, I tend to give a little leeway here because of our experience with our own son.

We live in the country, a doctor owns 400 acres behind us. Now, eventually a mile or so away it leads to more houses, but it's heavily wooded and hilly. My son was around 2 and we were working in the yard. He was RIGHT by me playing. I went to plant something, turned around and he was gone. Vanished. I watched him like a hawk. I hollered for him, checked with my husband around back, we went through the house, back outside again and still could not find him!! Panic started setting in, but you don't really believe your child could get away from you that fast so you keep searching. We searched and searched and I decided to go through the house one more time looking in and under everything (even though he wasn't the kind of child to hide like that). I walk back to the master bath and flip on the light. There he sat going potty :O We had been hollering at him and he never answered. He just sat there in the dark doing what he needed to do. Funny now, but we were just getting ready to call the police and report him missing. But....the timeframe, probably 20-30 minutes. Like I said, you keep thinking they are just hiding somewhere. Or went to lay down and are hidden. You just don't think your child will walk off into the woods, especially when they are raised there and know better. So, I always tend to give the benefit of the doubt when I hear about someone's delay in reporting something. We don't ever want to think our "person" is missing, they will be right back, surely.

I really hope there isn't negligence in this one. I'm soooooo happy he survived! What a tough little cookie!

I wrote a really similar thing on here a few days ago. When ours have "disappeared" we've always checked the regular places (hiding places in house, yard, vehicles, etc.) first and then start checking outbuildings and the perimeter. I grew up on a farm in Eastern Kentucky and we live on one now. One of the reasons we continue to live this way is so that we can leave doors unlocked and allow the kids to run in and out as they want. When they were toddlers our first assumption would NOT have been that they'd taken up the side of the mountain. The vegetation right now is really bad on the mountain floors. It's thick, tangly, spiky, and everywhere. Wasps and snakes tend to be the worst in the spring and fall because they're just starting to come out here. Parts of our mountains here don't look that much different from the way they did when the first settlers came through. I swear there are mountains in Martin and Floyd that people haven't been on in years. I wouldn't have called emergency services right away because I would've assumed that the kids were someplace close by, probably in the house asleep, especially if they'd never tried to take off on their own before.

I've seen a lot of people criticize the parents not calling emergency right away, but I totally get that part. When we lived in downtown Lexington we kept our doors locked and the security gate closed. If we couldn't find our child and one of those two things were open then we'd have called 911 immediately-probably before even looking. Out here, though, our experience has shown that they're most likely still inside somewhere.

ETA because "years" and "days" are not the same thing, although this week really has kind of dragged by...

Last edited:
Yes I'm glad he is found but to not have a concern abt this repeated phrase seemes foolhardy to me. Said he was repeating "here all night" when they found him? "here all night", "here all night" is that a concept a child of 22 months knows how to articulate and express verbally? They have 0 concept of time & some don't understand night from morning yet. They may know the sun from the moon & sleep. Was this a question of him initially? I'm a little thrown off by that. Anybody here that can help us work through that?

PRESTONSBURG, Ky, (LEX 18) – Kentucky State Police and the Prestonsburg Fire Department held a news conference on the rescue of a toddler from Magoffin County Thursday.

Prestonsburg Fire was one of many agencies who assisted in the search for 22-month-old Kenneth Neil Howard. Howard went missing last Sunday near the Floyd and Magoffin County line. He was found less than 2,000 feet from his home near a strip mine.

Rescuers say they heard the boy crying and found him on a cliff area. A Prestonsburg firefighter said the boy was barefoot, in a t-shirt and sweatpants when he was rescued.

Magoffin County Emergency Management official Carter Conley said that the mother of the toddler told him her son no longer needs an IV and is eating. They are not sure when he will be released from the hospital, but a full recovery is expected.

Prestonsburg Fire, KSP Hold News Conference On Toddler Rescue

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back