CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like an easy-target scapegoat.
An "easy-target scapegoat"?? Where's the look of confusion and disbelief that should be on the face of a man who is in shock at what is happening to him?

That is the posture of a man who knows that the jig is up, the game is over, and he has been caught dead to rights.

I have followed this case for years but haven't been able to keep up recently with the trial. Does anyone know if there is a summary of facts of the case? For instance, in the past, there was a question about whether EIP was legitimate. Was that ever ascertained? There were also many other mysteries surrounding this case. Like the purchases at Ross, the children's medicine prescription and whether the lunch at Chick Filet ever took place. Have those issues been resolved. Does it seem like beyond a reasonable doubt that Chase is guilty? Thanks.

I have followed this case for years but haven't been able to keep up recently with the trial. Does anyone know if there is a summary of facts of the case? For instance, in the past, there was a question about whether EIP was legitimate. Was that ever ascertained? There were also many other mysteries surrounding this case. Like the purchases at Ross, the children's medicine prescription and whether the lunch at Chick Filet ever took place. Have those issues been resolved. Does it seem like beyond a reasonable doubt that Chase is guilty? Thanks.
I don't have a place to direct you for a quick summary or breakdown of things. But yes, EIP was very legit, purchase at Ross was never brought up at trial (or Summer's call to sister), no confirmation if either Joseph or Chase were at the restaurant. Nothing about any prescription whatsoever.

For your last question, you should determine that for yourself reading the general consensus here.

I think it depends on who you ask...

I think the majority (here on WS's) believe the Chase is guilty.
I think some of that majority question whether the State proved it beyond a reasonable doubt although they still believe that Chase is 100% guilty.
I think there are some that were not sure and are still not sure because they don't believe the State proved it BARD.
I think there are some that believe it was Dan.
I think there are some that believe it was someone else, not even Dan or Chase.

I personally, don't feel any more sure of anything now than I did before. But that's JMO. I was expecting to hear more evidence than what the State presented. I had hoped to get some answers that I had always wondered as well, but I'm guessing some of the things we are/were curious about, just were not relevant enough (like Summer's last few days).

As for your questions.
Does anyone know if there is a summary of facts of the case? I do not, and IMO, any list of "facts" at this point would only be the facts that support the above position that the person falls into. :confused:

about whether EIP was legitimate - there has been no information stating that it wasn't and there is no indication from either the State or the defense that was not a legitimate business.

Purchase at Ross - I think it came up once but was objected to ... very little about Summer and what she did those last few days.

Children's medication - nope, nothing about this.

Chik-Fil-A meeting - nope, still no confirmation of whether it happened or not.

Probably not the answers you wanted LOL But I hope it helps :)

The problem here is, as I see it.
That the defense is allowed to throw out to the jury, ANY outrageous theories, without backing up any of them with evidence.
The first time I saw this, was with the Casey Anthony trial.
I realize Ocean Blue Eyes that you think that the jury is smarter then the defense team, and able to see through their lies.

I do not agree with you.

It only takes one person, without life experience to be baffled and confused into not being able to make a decision.

Hell. This goes on in politics every single minute of every single day.

Fake news, Fake theories, it doesn't matter. Just throw it out there and see what sticks!

It certainly worked for Casey Anthony and probably many more trials that we don't even know about.

It makes me down right sick.

Professions that I used to look up to, now have my utter contempt. IMO

whether the lunch at Chick Filet ever took place
RSBM

Around 39:00-42:00 of the following testimony supports Chase's account of having lunch with JM and discussing the new business deal during/after lunch. JM continued to make phone calls to CM on his way home from the lunch and they seemed to be working with the Google Sketch stuff:

4 months later, the 3-member PT has yet to provide a single irrefutable proof that actually links Chase Merritt to the murder of 4. Zero such proof. Full of reasonable doubts.

It's likely the real killers will never be prosecuted. They probably feel safe and protected. Justice for the family may never be served if prosecutors, present and future, stick to tunnel vision and refuse to have an open mind.

Professions that I used to look up to, now have my utter contempt.

Those three prosecutors, for sure. I used to have good opinion for Daugherty for his work in the Erin Corwin murder case.

whether the lunch at Chick Filet ever took place.

RSBM

If only the defence would produce the witness who claimed there was a lunch at Chick-fil-A ....

Unfortunately it's become a theme that the defence claims many things happened without producing any testimony from the person(s) who have personal knowledge of events.

Sad.

RSBM

If only the defence would produce the witness who claimed there was a lunch at Chick-fil-A ....

Unfortunately it's become a theme that the defence claims many things happened without producing any testimony from the person(s) who have personal knowledge of events.

Sad.

To be honest i have not closely followed this trial: I just haven't had the patience for it. if it was on court TV i probably would be watching it. From what I am reading here, the judge is allowing all kinds of defense BS to be presented in this trial: reminds me of Casey Anthony. I don't understand how a judge can allow all kinds of unproven (without evidence) theories to be thrown out there; the judge has to know that some juries might believe any or all of it---even though there is no evidence to back these allegations up. For me, Casey Anthony was the most painful trial i have ever watched; i watched it all of it and it made me physically ill. The worst part of it was all those horrible lies told by Baez actually worked and as we know the jury acquitted her. We know that many criminal defense attorneys will attempt to get away with all kinds of garbage: it is up to the judge to rein in the defense attorney, but sounds like in this case, that is not happening. Sigh.

To be honest i have not closely followed this trial: I just haven't had the patience for it. if it was on court TV i probably would be watching it. From what I am reading here, the judge is allowing all kinds of defense BS to be presented in this trial: reminds me of Casey Anthony. I don't understand how a judge can allow all kinds of unproven (without evidence) theories to be thrown out there; the judge has to know that some juries might believe any or all of it---even though there is no evidence to back these allegations up. For me, Casey Anthony was the most painful trial i have ever watched; i watched it all of it and it made me physically ill. The worst part of it was all those horrible lies told by Baez actually worked and as we know the jury acquitted her. We know that many criminal defense attorneys will attempt to get away with all kinds of garbage: it is up to the judge to rein in the defense attorney, but sounds like in this case, that is not happening. Sigh.

It's a strange situation - which technically IMO should lead to a mistrial. But of course neither the Court or the State wants that

I wonder what the Judge will do.

In a UK court its clear the Judge could give detailed evidential directions to the Jury but I am not sure how it gets fixed in this case.

Obviously the State will rip the defense in its closing for failing to call the logical witnesses that the defence raved on about in opening

Is this trial almost over??

I am reluctant to say this because of the delays..... but yes lol They are supposed to be back on Tuesday the 21st, that will be Dr. Rudin testifying for the defense, they said it should only be 1 day (I could see it going into the next day). Last I heard, the prosecution only had a few rebuttal witnesses (can't recall if that was said in court or if it was from Cathy Russon on L&C, or both). I do think that the lawyers and judge have been or did work on the exhibits and jury instructions this week, who knows how much or if they will get all of that done before next week. My guess would be that they should do closings either late next week or maybe the 28th? I am not sure if the jurors can deliberate on Friday's there? They can't have court days on Fridays lol And not sure about weekends either...

I am reluctant to say this because of the delays..... but yes lol They are supposed to be back on Tuesday the 21st, that will be Dr. Rudin testifying for the defense, they said it should only be 1 day (I could see it going into the next day). Last I heard, the prosecution only had a few rebuttal witnesses (can't recall if that was said in court or if it was from Cathy Russon on L&C, or both). I do think that the lawyers and judge have been or did work on the exhibits and jury instructions this week, who knows how much or if they will get all of that done before next week. My guess would be that they should do closings either late next week or maybe the 28th? I am not sure if the jurors can deliberate on Friday's there? They can't have court days on Fridays lol And not sure about weekends either...

Thanks for the info: very much appreciated

An "easy-target scapegoat"?? Where's the look of confusion and disbelief that should be on the face of a man who is in shock at what is happening to him?

That is the posture of a man who knows that the jig is up, the game is over, and he has been caught dead to rights.

"The look of confusion and disbelief" could only be caught at the first moment when being told you are arrested for a murder (even that is questionable, if one had sensed and prepared in advance he could become a scapegoat from what had been happening). After that, you feel anger and powerlessness, which I did see from CM's face in several pictures. I've never seen a sign on his face indicative of guilt (that is, if you want to make judgment of guilt/innocence just from facial expressions).

And I think the judge mentioned one of the jurors could only make it to May 30th.

Fog lights are usually yellow/amber and to the side or under the headlights.
Just went out checked, DH's truck has round running lights below the grill like the Dodge.
Those are fog lights or driving lights under the bumper, not running lights. The lights under the bumper don't come on by default with the headlights like a running light would. You can turn the fog (or driving) lights on once and they will be on the next time the headlights are activated. But they are not running lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong