GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
You go DG....It was easy to understand, thanks for trying to clarify to those who don't get it .

From the first screenshot posted, it says, "At least one neighbor's security camera is now in the hands of the FBI.

"We discovered some cameras that are pointing out towards the lake...one of them we've already gone through. It had a great picture of their dock, but not the area in question," Sills said."

This suggests that at *least* one neighbor's security cam was at that time in the hands of the FBI, but not necessarily the *only* one that would have been handed over to FBI. Also, in the second paragraph, it states that 'some cameras' (definitely plural) were discovered which were pointing out towards the lake, not just the one which SS had already gone through by the time he made the statement in this article.

In the second screenshot posted, wherein it states 'security or surveillance cameras may not be attached to the exterior of residences or accessory buildings or structures', this specifically refers to 'land owned by GP', which the Dermonds' property was *not* owned by Georgia Power. There was no mention of any such leases on any of their various property listings which can still be found online from when their home was for sale.

The Dermonds purchased their property/built their home some 14+ years prior to their demise.. I'm assuming many of the others in the GW community did also. Whatever laws/rules/regs were in effect at that time, would likely be grandfathered for those earlier owners, at least until such time as their properties might sell to different owners. The screenshot posted refers to rules for new construction today. So rules might very well be different in that regard.

I don't think anyone said anything specifically or exclusively about security cams which were installed ON the docks, but rather perhaps, pointing OUT to the docks/lake. When I posted saying I hoped that any existing security footage was viewed for activity, I meant like out on the water, not specifically pointing AT the Ds' dock. Such as sometimes a security cam might happen to inadvertently catch a certain vehicle on a public roadway, even though the owner of the camera had it pointed at their own property - the roadway, or waterway in this case, could have been caught in the footage, and ended up catching something very important.

“Even though video surveillance cameras were just as popular five years ago as they are today when many homeowners, the Dermonds did not have any installed inside or outside their home. [My note: we know this is false, because it has been spoken about that the Ds' had a security system inside their home, and their son mentioned that his parents were religious about setting arming it.]

And neither did any of their closest neighbors. [My note – even if the neighbors with cameras were NOT 'closest' to the Ds, their cams still may have caught boats going by, like on their way to the Ds’ house? Imo.]

“We pulled video from people who had it pointed on their docks and things of that nature, but they had their cameras pointed toward their boats,” Sills said.”

‘Somebody knows. And there’s more than one person involved in this’

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiN0POh6ZviAhUCIqwKHbuUAcQQFjABegQIABAC&url=http://georgiapowerlakes.com/oconeesinclair/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/shoreline_oconee.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0qKe5NXVBEh638iwmSGoh4

back in FLorida investigating??

just came through on FB

The DOCK 103.9 WDDK/FM Lake Oconee, GA
2 hrs ·
“This case is not absolutely stone cold, but it is cool.”

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills talking about the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond.

Her body was found in Lake Oconee five years ago today. His decapitated body was found at the couple’s home.

Sheriff Sills talks about the case with News Anchor Rahul Bali.

(Image Credit: WXIA-TV Atlanta)

SS mentions he PERSONALLY pulled her decomposing body out of the lake

Somewhere else I saw that he did NOT PERSONALLY and I do know there is a certain protocol used to pull a body out of the water so not to contaminate.

IF HE DID, then that would concern me the he has not handled this case properly

5 Years Later: Putnam County Sheriff Talks About the Dermond Murder Case

check out the newest on the Dermonds from SS

back in FLorida investigating??

just came through on FB

The DOCK 103.9 WDDK/FM Lake Oconee, GA
2 hrs ·
“This case is not absolutely stone cold, but it is cool.”

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills talking about the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond.

Her body was found in Lake Oconee five years ago today. His decapitated body was found at the couple’s home.

Sheriff Sills talks about the case with News Anchor Rahul Bali.

(Image Credit: WXIA-TV Atlanta)

SS mentions he PERSONALLY pulled her decomposing body out of the lake

Somewhere else I saw that he did NOT PERSONALLY and I do know there is a certain protocol used to pull a body out of the water so not to contaminate.

IF HE DID, then that would concern me the he has not handled this case properly

5 Years Later: Putnam County Sheriff Talks About the Dermond Murder Case

check out the newest on the Dermonds from SS
Interesting. Wonder what he was doing in Florida on this case??

If they showed up on a fri NIGHT< saturday or sunday, banks were likely closed but not ATM only........didnt have an atm card so they didnt make it our of the driveway, cuz they'd have had to come by car if the perps thought they were going to the bank with the D's

but if that's the case, just kill them and leave..........

they hauled her off

cut his head off

something else is happening here it appears to me

I think so, too. This is such an off the grid and sad murder story. I go back to the lake and who might have had access to a boat and used the dock to come up to the house that way.

The thing I ponder is why this house was chosen.

There are crimes that occur simply for the thrill of it and not revenge or robbery. Maybe it’s something like that.

It would be hard to imagine a lone boater, to be fair.

It’s been a while since I looked into the case, but is there a consensus on the means the killer(s) used to access the home?

seems it more murders in these areas than usual.......IDK.........this was an odd case........probalby not connected but interesting this guy in the area basically was capable of murder, they just dont know yet which one, the other one that was on scene went inside and shot himself dead

Definitely something odd bout the case with the GA professor, and odd is what we have with the Dermond murders. Honestly, I don’t see a connection for now, but it will only be through a connection this particular case is solved. IMO.

I really dont think they are certain how they approached, could have been car or boat, could have left by car and had a boat at a launch ready to haul her off

I just know how dark lakes are at night, so easy to get in and out without being seen

definitley more than one, someone was constraining HER while RD was being constrained as well probalby when he lunged for her and got her hair in both hands

ATLEAST 2

IF it was for the thrill, i dont think they would have hauled her off

I keep pondering what it would be like had both bodies been left behind at the house........where would the investigation have gone with that?

Well for one there may have been some foreign DNA

SS stated in 2 podcasts it could be due to DNA or bullet lodge the reason for the beheading

One thing I feel certain about is that the beheading was not planned and I think the killers dna was in RD mouth, he fought hard and if an arm was around his throat preventing him from getting to SD, he could have certainly bit the guy, certain it was a guy if constraints used on RD

SO if you removed the crazy........what the heck is left? And we know it was someone they knew, atleast somewhat

I think so, too. This is such an off the grid and sad murder story. I go back to the lake and who might have had access to a boat and used the dock to come up to the house that way.

The thing I ponder is why this house was chosen.

There are crimes that occur simply for the thrill of it and not revenge or robbery. Maybe it’s something like that.

It would be hard to imagine a lone boater, to be fair.

It’s been a while since I looked into the case, but is there a consensus on the means the killer(s) used to access the home?

Definitely something odd bout the case with the GA professor, and odd is what we have with the Dermond murders. Honestly, I don’t see a connection for now, but it will only be through a connection this particular case is solved. IMO.
I think so too Jabarn, why I look closely at all these weird local deaths/murders

All docks are owned by the Georgia Power or Corps Engineers in Georgia. That’s the way it is in Georgia. Some people are grandfathered into a 99 year lease. Others are a 4 or 15 year lease. So the Dermond’s didn’t own their dock since nobody owns their dock. Georgia has some weird laws. Security cameras aren’t on docks here. The only lake that has gotten a law passed is Lake Lanier in 2017 which is 1.5-2 hours north of Atlanta.

You can have a security camera attach to the back of the house but the average house is over 50 feet from the lake. My house is going to be 78 feet to the dock.

The lake is owned by Georgia Power and they don’t like having security cameras pointed at the lake it’s an invasion of privacy. While enjoining a boat ride with your family on the lake they determined that you shouldn’t feel like security cameras are watching you the entire time. Lake Lanier is the only lake to get this overturned in 2017. If they found a security camera on a dock, near your property edge or within a certain distance to the water Georgia Power or the Corps of Engineers will remove it without notice anytime they please.

From the first screenshot posted, it says, "At least one neighbor's security camera is now in the hands of the FBI.

"We discovered some cameras that are pointing out towards the lake...one of them we've already gone through. It had a great picture of their dock, but not the area in question," Sills said."

This suggests that at *least* one neighbor's security cam was at that time in the hands of the FBI, but not necessarily the *only* one that would have been handed over to FBI. Also, in the second paragraph, it states that 'some cameras' (definitely plural) were discovered which were pointing out towards the lake, not just the one which SS had already gone through by the time he made the statement in this article.

In the second screenshot posted, wherein it states 'security or surveillance cameras may not be attached to the exterior of residences or accessory buildings or structures', this specifically refers to 'land owned by GP', which the Dermonds' property was *not* owned by Georgia Power. There was no mention of any such leases on any of their various property listings which can still be found online from when their home was for sale.

The Dermonds purchased their property/built their home some 14+ years prior to their demise.. I'm assuming many of the others in the GW community did also. Whatever laws/rules/regs were in effect at that time, would likely be grandfathered for those earlier owners, at least until such time as their properties might sell to different owners. The screenshot posted refers to rules for new construction today. So rules might very well be different in that regard.

I don't think anyone said anything specifically or exclusively about security cams which were installed ON the docks, but rather perhaps, pointing OUT to the docks/lake. When I posted saying I hoped that any existing security footage was viewed for activity, I meant like out on the water, not specifically pointing AT the Ds' dock. Such as sometimes a security cam might happen to inadvertently catch a certain vehicle on a public roadway, even though the owner of the camera had it pointed at their own property - the roadway, or waterway in this case, could have been caught in the footage, and ended up catching something very important.

“Even though video surveillance cameras were just as popular five years ago as they are today when many homeowners, the Dermonds did not have any installed inside or outside their home. [My note: we know this is false, because it has been spoken about that the Ds' had a security system inside their home, and their son mentioned that his parents were religious about setting arming it.]

And neither did any of their closest neighbors. [My note – even if the neighbors with cameras were NOT 'closest' to the Ds, their cams still may have caught boats going by, like on their way to the Ds’ house? Imo.]

“We pulled video from people who had it pointed on their docks and things of that nature, but they had their cameras pointed toward their boats,” Sills said.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiN0POh6ZviAhUCIqwKHbuUAcQQFjABegQIABAC&url=http://georgiapowerlakes.com/oconeesinclair/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/shoreline_oconee.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0qKe5NXVBEh638iwmSGoh4

Last edited:
Also 14 years doesn’t get you grandfathered into anything. Now if that house was built in the 70’s maybe. Great Waters won’t have many houses if any grandfathered in plus they still would lease their dock regardless.

I’ll put it this way I don’t know a single lake owner in Georgia that doesn’t lease their dock that’s on the lake with direct access. All docks must be 50 feet apart from one another. They’ve got so many rules I I don’t have time to list them all.

A security camera at 75 feet away will give you nothing of evidentiary value and you can’t zoom in.

In May 2014, Russell Dermond was found decapitated at the couple's Lake Oconee home. Days later, Shirley Dermond’s body was found floating in the lake. Sills said she had been beaten to death.

Lake Oconee
is a reservoir in central Georgia, United States, on the Oconee River near Greensboro and Eatonton. It was created in 1979 when Georgia Power completed the construction of the Wallace Dam on the Oconee River.

Lake Oconee runs through Georgia's Morgan, Greene, and Putnam counties and is separated from its sister lake, Sinclair, by Wallace Dam.

Oconee is the name of an ancient Creek town.[1]

Lake Oconee serves as a reservoir for Georgia Power Company's Wallace Hydroelectric Plant. The lake has 374 miles of shoreline with a surface area of 19,971 acres. It is formed by the Oconee River and Apalachee River (Georgia)

Lake Oconee - Wikipedia

Why is the camera thing a major topic, SS has surveillance footage of the docks nearby the dermonds, you have to get aproval from GA power to build a dock whether you have a GA power leased lot or not, maybe even the seawall can't remember bit definitley permit

I had a jetski ramp home made we never got approval for, we had lights and electrical power on the dock we never needed approvsl for, and a satellite dish on the so k we neve needed approval for, they'd never know if you had a dang video surveillance on the blasted dock and no approvaL is required only the construction of the dock, it can't be over a certain width or length and 15 ft from the property line ,that's it, that's all we had approval for

Lake Burton and rabun
are irrelevant, they have certain boat restrictions and some don't allow jetski, Whole DIFFERENT BALL GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998