OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly Bruce doesn't strike me as having sound judgement. You're free to disagree, of course, but any way you look at it, hosting a podcast doesn't make someone much of an authority.

You can agree or disagree with her own feelings about the case. However, I don't think she's lying about what Hurst told her.

You're misstating the known facts. We've never been told when tracking dogs or cadaver dogs were taken in to search the area. The initial search likely did not include cadaver dogs. The search with cadaver dogs may have been weeks or even months later

I'm not misstating anything actually. We know that dogs were used multiple times within the first 7-10 days or so thanks to the reporting at the time. This included police dogs more than once, search dogs of a family friend, and I believe Randy's own dog. This is also how we know about one of the dogs tracking his scent from the alley to Wendy's very very early on. NBC4i.com had numerous articles on it at the time though sadly they've been taken down over time. Some are preserved in the discussion here and on other sites

You can agree or disagree with her own feelings about the case. However, I don't think she's lying about what Hurst told her.

I'm not misstating anything actually. We know that dogs were used multiple times within the first 7-10 days or so thanks to the reporting at the time. This included police dogs more than once, search dogs of a family friend, and I believe Randy's own dog. This is also how we know about one of the dogs tracking his scent from the alley to Wendy's very very early on. NBC4i.com had numerous articles on it at the time though sadly they've been taken down over time. Some are preserved in the discussion here and on other sites
Regardless of when dogs went in - dogs aren't reliable. Better than nuthin, but not reliable. Mans' best friend, but not reliable. Great sense of smell, but not reliable. Worth a try, but not reliable. If they were reliable, you wouldn't have to run them in more than once.

Regardless of when dogs went in - dogs aren't reliable. Better than nuthin, but not reliable. Mans' best friend, but not reliable. Great sense of smell, but not reliable. Worth a try, but not reliable. If they were reliable, you wouldn't have to run them in more than once.

So it's good thing that a multitude of people went in and thoroughly investigated everything, right? ;-)

I look forward to hearing Hurst say he mis-spoke and that he meant to say there was just a small hole in the construction area when he said it was 'completely dug up'. Just a brain fart.

Hurst didn't misspeak, he elaborated. You continue to ignore that "dug up" can just as easily apply to a flat, hard-packed ground as much as it can piles of dirt and holes. You equate "dug up" to trenches and holes but that's NOT a fact. I went to the effort to try and get clarification and got it. I'd certainly love more, even pics.

I've asked you to provide any other statements made by those involved and you can't produce any. I've yet to see any statement from anyone involved that seems to think he's still there or could have been missed. It's unrealistic.

That's just false, unserious. Maybe take it up with the lead detective, who has suggested that Brian may well have entered the construction area. So Brian is not on video entering the construction area. So what. He's not on video leaving the building - does that prove he didn't leave? Of course not. Though it does suggest he may not have.

LOL Nothing I said in that section was false at all actually. Hurst said it's speculation that Brian exited the building via the construction area, yes. That doesn't help you however since the lead detective that you frequently reference thinks that Brian EXITED the building.

Brian is not on video, from that camera, entering the construction area or leaving. The lack of his appearance on video does not support either theory. It most certainly can not "suggest" he entered the construction area and remains there. Now if you were to say you think he may be somewhere else in the building and that he never even made it to the hall that connects to the construction area then that might be open for a different discussion.

"And none of the people who searched it think he could still be there." Your last statement is a statement of fact. It is not speculation. You cannot prove your statement of fact. Unserious.

I'll be happy to modify my statement: I can find no record that any of the people who searched the construction area think he could still be there. Can provide one quote or statement from any article indicating any professional involved in the investigation seriously thinks he could still be there in the construction area?

Would have been a good thing had any results been produced. Instead, nuthin. A failed investigation. A mystery that, sadly, persists.

Yes it is sad... I find it hard to fault the investigators, however. It seems to be a very in-depth, serious, and thorough investigation. One of the articles stated that as many as 50 LEO combed that immediate area at one time. They went over many locations repeatedly. ...and unlike in some cases, LE were swift to react. Brian goes missing very early Saturday, family members are searching by late Sunday and it was said that LE began investigating Monday. Some cases it seems to take weeks before LE take it seriously but they were on it from the getgo for Brian.

Hurst didn't misspeak, he elaborated. You continue to ignore that "dug up" can just as easily apply to a flat, hard-packed ground as much as it can piles of dirt and holes. You equate "dug up" to trenches and holes but that's NOT a fact. I went to the effort to try and get clarification and got it. I'd certainly love more, even pics.

I've asked you to provide any other statements made by those involved and you can't produce any. I've yet to see any statement from anyone involved that seems to think he's still there or could have been missed. It's unrealistic.

LOL Nothing I said in that section was false at all actually. Hurst said it's speculation that Brian exited the building via the construction area, yes. That doesn't help you however since the lead detective that you frequently reference thinks that Brian EXITED the building.

Brian is not on video, from that camera, entering the construction area or leaving. The lack of his appearance on video does not support either theory. It most certainly can not "suggest" he entered the construction area and remains there. Now if you were to say you think he may be somewhere else in the building and that he never even made it to the hall that connects to the construction area then that might be open for a different discussion.

I'll be happy to modify my statement: I can find no record that any of the people who searched the construction area think he could still be there. Can provide one quote or statement from any article indicating any professional involved in the investigation seriously thinks he could still be there in the construction area?

Yes it is sad... I find it hard to fault the investigators, however. It seems to be a very in-depth, serious, and thorough investigation. One of the articles stated that as many as 50 LEO combed that immediate area at one time. They went over many locations repeatedly. ...and unlike in some cases, LE were swift to react. Brian goes missing very early Saturday, family members are searching by late Sunday and it was said that LE began investigating Monday. Some cases it seems to take weeks before LE take it seriously but they were on it from the getgo for Brian.
Who is 'faulting the investigators'? They worked their butts off. A detective spent many many hours to determine that one person captured on vid entering the building that evening was not captured on vid departing. Many many hours. The crime lab searched the professor's home and several vehicles. CPD and others ran dogs through the building. LE looked into Brian's Cingular account records in concluding that a systems glitch may have been behind his phone seeming to ring and seeming to ping a Hilliard area tower. And Sgt. Hurst was gracious in consenting to an interview last year, the one in which he is on record stating that the 'construction area' area in the building where Brian was last seen had been in a 'completely dug up' state at the time Brian is surmised to have entered it. LE and private citizens made a good effort. The end result was an investigation that failed to find what happened to Brian or to find his remains. Unfortunate, but no one bats 1.000. Perhaps the case will yet be solved. There is one place on the planet a new search of which would have a > zero chance of finding Brian's remains - the premises where he was last seen...

By April Johnston Posted Apr 22, 2019
From the Archives: What Happened to Brian Shaffer?
"Randy Shaffer died in a freak accident in 2008 before he could unravel the mystery that had consumed his life for nearly three years—the disappearance of his son.

Editor’s note: As friends and family of Brian Shaffer continue to focus attention on his 2006 disappearance, Columbus Monthly is republishing former associate editor April Johnston’s 2009 deep dive into the case.

"The poster is still taped to the window in the sixth-floor lobby, where all who have business with the Special Victims Bureau can see it. In one photograph, Brian Shaffer is bearded. In another, cleanshaven. Detectives change the pictures every once in a while because, if Brian is still alive, it’s likely he’s changed, too."
"The details of that Friday night in 2006 have been reported and repeated, sifted and scrutinized, examined and re-examined by the family, the police and the web-based sleuths who love a good mystery.

But what hasn’t changed, not in three long years, are the words: Missing. OSU medical student. Last seen at the Ugly Tuna Saloona on April 1, 2006. Reward. If the poster could speak, its pleas would be getting desperate, its voice higher pitched."
"Hurst and his detectives began their investigation where they believe Brian ended his night at the Ugly Tuna. It’s one of those quintessential college bars, with a spring break attitude, plenty of drink specials and constant entertainment (think “Naughty School Girl” night). But it also was trendy enough to be located in Gateway, the city and Ohio State’s upscale answer to the increasingly dangerous and deteriorating south end of campus. That meant one thing to detectives: surveillance cameras. They are indispensable to investigations. The silent and often incontrovertible witnesses to crime can crack a case open faster and more reliably than humans, who are prone to faulty memories and misled loyalties.

But the cameras at Ugly Tuna only caused more confusion, because while they caught Brian entering the bar that night, they never caught him actually leaving. Detectives were perplexed: If Brian left the way he arrived—on the escalator—he surely would have been taped by one of the cameras. But they soon learned there were other ways out. He might have changed his clothes or donned a hat and kept his head down and face obscured. He could have left through an exit that led directly to a construction site. It would have been difficult to navigate, especially if Brian were intoxicated, but not impossible. Or, the worst scenario of all—maybe the cameras simply missed him. One panned the area constantly; another operated manually. What if Brian had slipped out in the anonymous space between them?

In those first few days, and on the heels of that theory, as many as 50 police officers searched for Brian at a time, scouring the streets, pawing through dumpsters and knocking on doors. They moved in an orderly, concentric pattern, beginning at the Ugly Tuna or Brian’s campus-area apartment and working their way out, marking distance in blocks and then miles. They questioned Brian’s friends and family and asked them all the hard questions you do when someone disappears, questions about drugs and enemies and difficult times. They checked hospitals and homeless shelters. They followed tips and hunches to landfills and riverbanks. They even persuaded the city to check nearby sewer lines. But no one found anything, not even the K-9 units.

Police began to wonder if Brian’s disappearance was a crime or a setup."

I've been thinking about the two Columbus police officers at the top of the stairs that night. I wonder if it was routine for them to stay until everyone was gone? Maybe even do a walk through before the bar and building are locked for the rest of the night? I have never heard much about them - whether they were spoken to or exactly how long they were there and how they exited.

I've been thinking about the two Columbus police officers at the top of the stairs that night. I wonder if it was routine for them to stay until everyone was gone? Maybe even do a walk through before the bar and building are locked for the rest of the night? I have never heard much about them - whether they were spoken to or exactly how long they were there and how they exited.

I've previously wondered about them, as well. I'm sure they gave statements.

I *am* curious though - they are standing right there and you can see them look toward the area where Brian was which ALSO is the area where the elevator and back stairs are located. Surely, one would think they would take note of anyone using those exits - especially all by themselves.

Hello everyone. I’ve been spending some time today catching up on this discussion and would like to address a couple of things. I began this investigation as a fellow sleuth and I’m in no way a member of LE or an authority figure. During this time I have developed a close relationship with Lori, who was a close personal friend of Randy Shaffer. She has shared with me numerous conversations she had with Randy, and his opinions on Brian’s Disappearance. She has even shared their personal email communication with me. Lori put me in contact with Don Corbett and Kevin Miles. Sadly Kevin passed away a month after speaking to us, but our conversations with him were very insightful. Kevin also shared His own professional opinion as well as his conversations with Randy. I continue a close relationship with Don Corbett and speak to him frequently. In recent months I have developed a close working relationship with John Hurst and he has helped me greatly with my investigation. My point in saying all this is to show that I may not be a an authority figure or LE, but I do know what I’m talking about when it comes to Brian’s disappearance. The only reason I want to do this is to take away as many false theories as I can so we can find Brian. If I release any information it is 100% true and has been verified. The investigation has now gotten deeper than I ever imagined and there is going to be a lot of Brian Shaffer coverage in the coming months. I always answer as many questions as I’m able to on the Find Brian Shaffer fb page, so feel free to communicate with me there. To answer another question from earlier....Brian’s fb page was removed because it was originally started as a page for an individual. When the Group pages came out on fb it had to be created that way and the original fb page had to be deleted. Find Brian Shaffer is the Group that stemmed from the original fb page.

To add to my previous statement...all the information I have released will be confirmed soon, and everyone will get to hear it with their own ears from authority figures. I’ll answer a few more questions in this post. Sorry it’s easier than replying to each individually. Sam Provenzano is a former journalist and friend that has joined the investigative team we have established. We are still working on the email ping, but unfortunately we have to have warrants for each proxy and there are 3 in 3 different locations. I am convinced the phone ping was not a glitch! We have created a new podcast that will be released this summer. It’s going to be called Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive? It will be similar to Comeback, but with a twist. I make no secret of The theories I lean towards on Brian’s Disappearance. Either he met foul play at the hands of someone he knows, or he is out there somewhere living a new life. This podcast is going to follow our investigation, along with a couple of new searches we will do (based on very new tips) to hopefully once and for all find out what happened to Brian.

To add to my previous statement...all the information I have released will be confirmed soon, and everyone will get to hear it with their own ears from authority figures. I’ll answer a few more questions in this post. Sorry it’s easier than replying to each individually. Sam Provenzano is a former journalist and friend that has joined the investigative team we have established. We are still working on the email ping, but unfortunately we have to have warrants for each proxy and there are 3 in 3 different locations. I am convinced the phone ping was not a glitch! We have created a new podcast that will be released this summer. It’s going to be called Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive? It will be similar to Comeback, but with a twist. I make no secret of The theories I lean towards on Brian’s Disappearance. Either he met foul play at the hands of someone he knows, or he is out there somewhere living a new life. This podcast is going to follow our investigation, along with a couple of new searches we will do (based on very new tips) to hopefully once and for all find out what happened to Brian.
This is great news, so glad you’re continuing this investigation. Sure would love to hear everything you’ve learned thus far, don’t know if I can wait!

ETA: I can’t believe LE didn’t already thoroughly investigate the phone ping said... :gaah:

This is great news, so glad you’re continuing this investigation. Sure would love to hear everything you’ve learned thus far, don’t know if I can wait!

ETA: I can’t believe LE didn’t already thoroughly investigate the phone ping said... :gaah:

I think they did investigate it. I think John Hurst is a very good detective that was restrained by the laws of CPD on everything he could investigate. I may have more to release after my end of May meeting on this case. I think everyone will appreciate the way this investigation is going, and the things they will learn, and the reasons I have the the theories I do. I will say as I’ve always said, when starting this I 100% believed Brian would be located deceased. In the past 2 years my opinion has changed and I believe it’s more likely he is alive. There has been nothing I’ve learned that has swayed that opinion, and actually in some ways it has furthered my belief.

Honestly we heard this last year too. I’m getting tired of “teasers” and then nothing happening, again. I hope I’m wrong about this but it seems like you’re trying to stir interest for something that doesn’t actually exist.

We have created a new podcast that will be released this summer. It’s going to be called Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive?

As soon as you made the announcement about this on FB, and asked for people to join the podcast's group page, I did... but no one will accept my join request. I actually tagged admin in a post on one of the pages, asking that my request be accepted (at the time thinking that it had to just be an oversight). Now that my request has been pending for weeks, and the group's numbers are still increasing... I can't help but wonder if there is an effort to exclude those known to post about theories that are less popular with the podcast creators. I really hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't know how my request could have been missed all this time when others have been actioned. I also apologise if I am wrong about this, but I know that the division between those who ascribe to different theories is getting pretty deep, so the thought crept into my mind.

All the best with the podcast, I will definitely be listening to it. I hope that you will consider allowing me to actively engage in discussions. I always try to be a thoughtful and honest poster about this case.

Are you referring to the Comeback podcasts? They were unable to continue with them due to other obligations. :-(

Kelly Bruce did cover him again in this podcast though:

Yes,
Thank you for the clarification! It is good to see that other Social Media platforms are still interested in the case!

Satch

As soon as you made the announcement about this on FB, and asked for people to join the podcast's group page, I did... but no one will accept my join request. I actually tagged admin in a post on one of the pages, asking that my request be accepted (at the time thinking that it had to just be an oversight). Now that my request has been pending for weeks, and the group's numbers are still increasing... I can't help but wonder if there is an effort to exclude those known to post about theories that are less popular with the podcast creators. I really hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't know how my request could have been missed all this time when others have been actioned. I also apologise if I am wrong about this, but I know that the division between those who ascribe to different theories is getting pretty deep, so the thought crept into my mind.

All the best with the podcast, I will definitely be listening to it. I hope that you will consider allowing me to actively engage in discussions. I always try to be a thoughtful and honest poster about this case.

Hello. I’m so sorry your request was not approved. For some reason I was not receiving notifications for that group. I fixed that and approved all pending requests. I welcome all civil discussions, and quite enjoy hearing everyone’s opinions. Even though I have my opinions I keep an open mind to all possibilities. I look forward to communicating with you in the group.

Honestly we heard this last year too. I’m getting tired of “teasers” and then nothing happening, again. I hope I’m wrong about this but it seems like you’re trying to stir interest for something that doesn’t actually exist.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I feel that in the past year I have released a lot of never before known information. Nothing I do is to stir interest and trust me the interest is already there. My hands are tied on when I can release certain information, but I post here to let everyone know I’m still at it and that I’ve uncovered new things. This definitely isn’t meant as a teaser...just an update. I would share everything I have if I could. I see no point in withholding facts in a case that is 13 years old, but the people I interview stipulate what I can and can’t release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member