ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great that Lynne DiSanto is keeping Serenity's name out there and appreciate her efforts.

However, I think it's extremely important for her not to give out misinformation.

I listened to her update from last night and 3 things caught my attention.

1.) She claims that if an Amber Alert had been issued when Serenity went missing, more people would have been alerted and would have been looking for her at gas stations, etc. She claims that was an option. No, it wasn't. She did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert to be issued. Here are the criteria for an Amber Alert specific to SD:
The criteria for declaring an Amber Alert is as follows:
  • The request to declare an Amber Alert must come from a Law Enforcement Agency.
  • There must be credible evidence that a child under 18 years old has been abducted.
  • There must be evidence that the child is in danger of bodily harm or death.
  • There must be enough credible and useful information from eyewitnesses or other sources that could assist in the safe recovery of the child and arrest of the suspect.
There was no evidence of an abduction and there was no suspect.

2.) She claimed Serenity may have run outside not realizing that bad weather was forecast for later that day and because it was in the 40s or 50s, it seemed nice outside.
It was not in the 40s or 50s that day. The low in Rockerville on Saturday night was 29, the high on Sunday (the day she went missing) was 38. So the temp when she went missing was in the low to mid 30s. That's a lot different than being in the 50s and she would have realized how cold it was outside as soon as she went out.

3.) She claimed a statement was made by the Children's Home that this has never happened before and that wasn't true.

However, this is the statement that was made:
"Our job is to work with young kids that need help and we’re very careful about keeping track of them and where they are at all times. Unfortunately once in a while they get away from us. It’s very, very rare. I don’t remember another situation like this one where a child has been gone this long," he said.

So the Home never claimed it has never happened before.

Last edited:
I think it's great that Lynne DiSanto is keeping Serenity's name out there and appreciate her efforts.

However, I think it's extremely important for her not to give out misinformation.

I listened to her update from last night and 3 things caught my attention.

1.) She claims that if an Amber Alert had been issued when Serenity went missing, more people would have been alerted and would have been looking for her at gas stations, etc. She claims that was an option. No, it wasn't. She did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert to be issued. Here are the criteria for an Amber Alert specific to SD:
The criteria for declaring an Amber Alert is as follows:
  • The request to declare an Amber Alert must come from a Law Enforcement Agency.
  • There must be credible evidence that a child under 18 years old has been abducted.
  • There must be evidence that the child is in danger of bodily harm or death.
  • There must be enough credible and useful information from eyewitnesses or other sources that could assist in the safe recovery of the child and arrest of the suspect.
There was no evidence of an abduction and there was no suspect.

2.) She claimed Serenity may have run outside not realizing that bad weather was forecast for later that day and because it was in the 40s or 50s, it seemed nice outside.
It was not in the 40s or 50s that day. The low in Rockerville on Saturday night was 29, the high on Sunday (the day she went missing) was 38. So the temp when she went missing was in the low to mid 30s. That's a lot different than being in the 50s and she would have realized how cold it was outside as soon as she went out.

3.) She claimed a statement was made by the Children's Home that this has never happened before and that wasn't true.

However, this is the statement that was made:
"Our job is to work with young kids that need help and we’re very careful about keeping track of them and where they are at all times. Unfortunately once in a while they get away from us. It’s very, very rare. I don’t remember another situation like this one where a child has been gone this long," he said.

So the Home never claimed it has never happened before.

(Sigh) I agree, Rocco.

While I still believe that her heart is in the right place, as you have pointed out, some of her statements are just plain wrong. LE has said over and over SINCE THE BEGINNING that they are investigating all possibilities. However, we have learned very few details about that part of the investigation and instead, have heard so much about the ground searches that people think an investigation involving “other possibilities” isn’t happening.

It is STANDARD PROCEDURE in these cases for LE to keep the details of the investigation to themselves unless it is helpful to them to share details with the public. For example, LE needed help locating the couple who were cutting wood in the area and appealed to the public for help with that. Pennington County Sheriff's Office It was initially thought that the couple had seen Serenity and LE was able to speak to the couple and confirm they did not. But still, that helped them with their timeline.

FEBRUARY 3: No, the weather was not as Ms. DiSanto described on the day Serenity ran away. Weather History Rapid City indicates a high of 41 degrees, however, THAT WAS AT 12 A.M. Serenity did not run away at midnight. At 12 p.m., that website shows a high of 12 degrees and a low of 5 degrees which is more in line with the actual weather data posted here in Thread 1, post #8 on the day she disappeared.

These are some of the very first photos of the initial search from Thread 1, post #8:

No, an Amber Alert was not an option. No, they have not focused solely on Serenity being in the woods. Once again, LE has said since the beginning that they are investigating all possibilities. From thread #1:

FEBRUARY 4: UPDATE: Sheriff's Office looking for couple who last saw missing girl
Thom said while no situation is being ruled out, such as Dennard being picked up by someone driving on the road, there is no evidence she was taken by anyone. Amber Alerts require a suspect or suspect vehicle. "We don't have that in this case, indicating that she was abducted or anything," he said.

I could go on and on but it has all been discussed in prior threads. I’ll just add one last thing; you don’t send hundreds and hundreds of people out on searches because it can interfere with the dogs’ ability to track a scent…weather affects the ability of the dogs to track a scent, and so on and so on… MOO

Last edited:
I believe I first posted the plan to mark Serenity's 10th Birthday at the square. Serenity's mom was there, as well as the longtime Senate supporter.

I don't believe people think it ghoulish to gather and show support for her family on a date that must be very painful for them (i.e., Mother's Day and missing child's birthday). People mark anniversary's all the time.

I also think the Senator was taken back that 20 times more people took time to voice their concern over balloons, than show support for the searchers, LE, family, etc. that have worked for months trying to recover this special child.

If just half that complained showed up bringing bubbles, flags, streamers, etc. that would have been 500 showing support for this child that vanished in a matter of hours.

MOO

ITA. It has been this way since the beginning for this child, no vigils, no nothing.

I think that Serenity was gone for much longer than originally reported. Either the staff didn't realize she was gone, or when she ran off, they shrugged, and assumed she would come back when she was cold enough or hungry enough. Which means she ran away with the intent of going home, following the road. When it was cold and dark, and started snowing, she looked for shelter, probably under a large pine tree, or bushes. That is probably where she will be found someday. Unless coyotes finished it up.

However, to give credit where credit is due, that vigil was organized by Lynne DiSanto. MOO
Yes it was, and only 20 people attended. Why would that be? I don't think it was because people in the area just don't care about Serenity.

She has 6 parents, a bio, adoptive, and step mother and a bio, adoptive, and step father. Were any of them there?

It appears that only one parent attended the birthday celebration that was organized by LD.

4,800 people follow her on her social media page and yet only 21 people have donated to her online fundraiser for Serenity.

Compare that to the fundraiser for little Landen, where almost 29,000 people have donated and there isn't even a social media page asking for donations.

People care about kids but it doesn't appear to be happening here like one would expect. I can't figure it out.

Yes it was, and only 20 people attended. Why would that be? I don't think it was because people in the area just don't care about Serenity.

She has 6 parents, a bio, adoptive, and step mother and a bio, adoptive, and step father. Were any of them there?

It appears that only one parent attended the birthday celebration that was organized by LD.

4,800 people follow her on her social media page and yet only 21 people have donated to her online fundraiser for Serenity.

Compare that to the fundraiser for little Landen, where almost 29,000 people have donated and there isn't even a social media page asking for donations.

People care about kids but it doesn't appear to be happening here like one would expect. I can't figure it out.
I don't know either, Rocco.

I think that Serenity was gone for much longer than originally reported. Either the staff didn't realize she was gone, or when she ran off, they shrugged, and assumed she would come back when she was cold enough or hungry enough. Which means she ran away with the intent of going home, following the road. When it was cold and dark, and started snowing, she looked for shelter, probably under a large pine tree, or bushes. That is probably where she will be found someday. Unless coyotes finished it up.

With the reported temp, how long could she have survived?

With the reported temp, how long could she have survived?

I don't know. Probably not long, I remember how cold it was, especially with the wind chill. She didn't have a coat. Go under a pine tree for shelter, fall asleep, I believe it snowed/blizzard for three days straight after that...

This article is interesting, it states that some people who didn't work at the center saw Serenity in the parking lot, and told the workers that a little girl was outside. That is a different story than the workers told initially.
New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

Last edited:
I don't know. Probably not long, I remember how cold it was, especially with the wind chill. She didn't have a coat. Go under a pine tree for shelter, fall asleep, I believe it snowed/blizzard for three days straight after that...

This article is interesting, it states that some people who didn't work at the center saw Serenity in the parking lot, and told the workers that a little girl was outside. That is a different story than the workers told initially.
New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

What was the original story?

Reading the original article about how she may have been trying to reach her family - there must be something to that. She probably was talking about them or threatening to run to them. I still wonder if she hitch hiked (do kids today even know about that?) or at least told somebody that pulled over that she wanted to get away...apparently the wrong person if that actually was the case.

I also know for a fact people that work around kids often do so for the wrong reasons. She was pretty and it does not seem like she had much contact with her family - a pretty good target. Not hard to guess that there wouldn't be the same family media push and vigils and privately funded investigations. I know she apparently ran so I don't exactly know what could have happened, but not ruling anything out. The home is so remote it gives me the creeps.

I am going to have to bite my tongue and temper my words.

From day one, this appeared to be a case they hoped would just go away and no one would notice a girl with issues who went running from a home.

Where I do not doubt Senator DiSanto knows the political effects and is conscious of them, if people think she is in it for praise, one has to also consider she also has stepped in and brought much needed attention to Serenity's case that did not seem to be there and despite a big presence and big $$ amount and long term status of the home in South Dakota and their umbrella private non profit. People in the beginning, myself included, and for a long time, wanted to know more about Serenity, her life, why she was there, etc., what happened and we knew little. The senator was able to talk to three of the four parents who I think for the most part came forward and talked to her to bring attention to Serenity missing despite the fact the choices of all and their lives were far from rosy and she did it I think in a decent way with respect for all. I think they came forward for Serenity and because everyone on this site and elsewhere were trying to get attention for this child and wanted to know more about this little girl.

Regardless of what happened, the home made mistakes, that much is clear. The article above seems to place the blame on Serenity for running farther than others?? This is what burns me even though it is readily admitted runaways are common. Even when admitting things were not done right he still states it likely would not have made a difference where she was concerned.

What???

This is where I have to stop and bite my tongue...

All jmo.
SMH. How did he ever that job in the first place?

But another part of the quote referenced them running into another room or hiding under a bed. I feel like people generally want to make sure a situation is serious before calling 911. I know they didn’t follow protocol and this sucks, but I can also see how you might not think a kid is gone forever for running outside.
It takes two hours to search under beds,etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021