Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Colony Road is quite winding. There are sharp curves in the road to the left and to right of the Sherman house. It is quite possible that the neighbour with the CCTV couldn't even see a cop visiting the other neighbour's house, which could be roughly 10 houses down the street.
In the article linked though, wasn't it said that Old Colony is a dead end street.. so assuming only one way in and one way out.. so.. whether the neighboring camera could see exactly where the officer went, one would assume the camera still would have caught the cruiser going down the street, staying a bit, and then leaving the street?

"Given the location of Old Colony Rd., a dead-end street on the east and accessed off Bayview Ave. (a main thoroughfare) from the west, it is likely that a police officer would have passed the car parked in front of the Sherman home that Thursday morning on the way to check out the 911 call."

In the article linked though, wasn't it said that Old Colony is a dead end street.. so assuming only one way in and one way out.. so.. whether the neighboring camera could see exactly where the officer went, one would assume the camera still would have caught the cruiser going down the street, staying a bit, and then leaving the street?

"Given the location of Old Colony Rd., a dead-end street on the east and accessed off Bayview Ave. (a main thoroughfare) from the west, it is likely that a police officer would have passed the car parked in front of the Sherman home that Thursday morning on the way to check out the 911 call."

It does end at a dead end, but there are two streets other than Bayview that access Old Colony Rd. Take a peek at Google Maps, and also click on Satellite. If you drag the little man icon to the Sherman's house, you get the street view and can see how winding it is.

ETA Also, if the cop visited a house near Bayview, he could have driven back to Bayview to exit and would never have been seen by neighbours near 50 Colony Rd.

50 Old Colony Rd. North York

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, I don’t see a post about it, if I missed it, apologies.
The 911 call did bring something to mind, about cutting off a call before the system could identify it.
It may strike some as fanciful, but everything about the Sherman case shouts professional murder; very professional murder.
A tactical jammer, turned on at the time of the call attempt, (perhaps made from an unsecured bathroom phone/hidden phone/pool phone) could be what caused the inability to identify the precise location of the call, but it was an error on the part of the killers that allowed even the dialling and momentary connection at all.
It’s not like the police to confirm or deny anything related to an open case, but we know they do have many, many sealed warrants having to do with communication electronics in this case. MOO.
EDIT: A word.

Would a tactical jammer prevent police from tracing the 911 call? They can do traces even if a caller hangs up.

It does end at a dead end, but there are two streets other than Bayview that access Old Colony Rd. Take a peek at Google Maps, and also click on Satellite. If you drag the little man icon to the Sherman's house, you get the street view and can see how winding it is.

ETA Also, if the cop visited a house near Bayview, he could have driven back to Bayview to exit and would never have been seen by neighbours near 50 Colony Rd.

50 Old Colony Rd. North York
Seems like the other streets accessing Old Colony would have been less thoroughfare.. also just going by what the reporter (who knows to which house the officer attended) reported when saying, "it is likely that a police officer would have passed the car parked in front of the Sherman home that Thursday morning on the way to check out the 911 call."

Seems like the other streets accessing Old Colony would have been less thoroughfare.. also just going by what the reporter (who knows to which house the officer attended) reported when saying, "it is likely that a police officer would have passed the car parked in front of the Sherman home that Thursday morning on the way to check out the 911 call."

Sorry I missed what the report said. I can't access the the Star and that quote wasn't included in the Hamilton Spectator. Thanks.

Would a tactical jammer prevent police from tracing the 911 call? They can do traces even if a caller hangs up.
If they disrupted the call, I don’t think it ever properly connected, as in “911, What is your emergency?”
The phone itself made the complete dial, (a cell phone is like a two way radio) the signal hits a tower, normally, a signal relay sends the signal through a network of towers, to the receiving number, then sending the reply back the same way. If a jammer was used, I think it was jammed before a relay took place, blocking the frequency to the initiating tower; all the system logged was initial momentary contact. That sent police to an area served by that tower, essentially looking for the caller. If, and I’m happy to admit it’s just “if”, that happened, I think the police would want to pull the records for surrounding devices, looking for sudden brief, unexplained disruption. There are a wide variety of military jammers which can block a narrow area, a large area, as many frequencies as the operator wants, etc. I’d think though the most important thing would be making it a momentary disruption, so you don’t end up with half the street mad at Bell and causing a ruckus.

This whole thing seems *wild* to me. If a 911 call was made, presumably sometime just before the 9:15am police visit to the neighbor's home... police show up to the neighbor home from where they believe the call originated.. the homeowner there knows nothing and didn't make the call.. but yet there is a car parked on the street with some man either sitting in the car, or walking up to the door, or knocking on the door of the S home. One would presume in such a case, the officer sent about the 911 call would have noticed this car/man at the S home and perhaps questioned him. At that point in time, LE would only know there had been a 911 call from somewhere near.. wouldn't that officer be looking for something/anything out of the ordinary.. and if there was a man and a vehicle who seemed not to belong (parked on street), wouldn't they question and make a report?
Just a wild theory, but.... what if the killer took BS's phone, after all was said and done and staged and finalized.. and made that 911 call from it while either leaving the scene, or even while returning to the street in the morning after.. (I'm assuming it was a 'hang-up' and no words were spoken, otherwise the first thing the dispatcher would have asked for, would have been the location of the caller)

Police would perhaps have known the number from which the call came in, and the area (which may not have been exact at that time).

Then the killer just simply drove away with the phone, or possibly even returned it to the home before leaving (although that would have been VERY risky). (Would like to know if both phones were found inside the home.)

Could that 'visitor' to the S home possibly have been an undercover officer checking out the 911 call, finding nobody home, finding the door unlocked, and perhaps even potentially entering and having a quick look around to find nothing much of notice? (Remember the cleaning lady and 'gardener' person also entered the home on the Friday and seemingly noticed nothing of interest.) Or.. could that be why the man in the car was waiting - possibly to hear back from the realtor as to the code for the lockbox so he could have a look around, and then once he got it, he had a quick look, found nothing (because he never went all the way down to the pool/garage level)?

Could B's cellphone have been what police were looking for in the sewer grates and/or rooftop?

Could that be why LE seemed determined that it was M/S in the beginning? Instead of a 'suicide note', they had a 911 hangup which they believed came from B, and they figured he may have been attempting to report his wife dead, but then he went and killed himself too?

Last edited:
Sorry I missed what the report said. I can't access the the Star and that quote wasn't included in the Hamilton Spectator. Thanks.

If that’s so, then the house number of the person who was approached by the police officer about the mysterious 911 call would’ve been higher than #50.

Thank you Deugirtni. I just realized that I thought the article was finished, but you have to scroll down past advertising and the list of prior articles. I hate it when they do that! lol I was wondering why some people were upset that household effects weren't donated. Thanks again. :)

If they disrupted the call, I don’t think it ever properly connected, as in “911, What is your emergency?”
The phone itself made the complete dial, (a cell phone is like a two way radio) the signal hits a tower, normally, a signal relay sends the signal through a network of towers, to the receiving number, then sending the reply back the same way. If a jammer was used, I think it was jammed before a relay took place, blocking the frequency to the initiating tower; all the system logged was initial momentary contact. That sent police to an area served by that tower, essentially looking for the caller. If, and I’m happy to admit it’s just “if”, that happened, I think the police would want to pull the records for surrounding devices, looking for sudden brief, unexplained disruption. There are a wide variety of military jammers which can block a narrow area, a large area, as many frequencies as the operator wants, etc. I’d think though the most important thing would be making it a momentary disruption, so you don’t end up with half the street mad at Bell and causing a ruckus.

Thank you for the info. TPS couldn’t even find an earring, so them figuring this out seems most unlikely!

Thank you for the info. TPS couldn’t even find an earring, so them figuring this out seems most unlikely!
I can't help thinking TPS is just not as incompetent as they appear, but yet they are not in a position to explain things to the public. What if........ all along, they have known the killers had attempted to dupe police by staging this thing in a number of ways.. and TPS played along, not wanting to disclose in the earlier days, that they were onto things? I'm just having a real hard time believing TPS could be as incompetent as they appear to be. On the other hand, I seem to have proof that they may just be THAT incompetent, from other cases. Hopefully one day we will find out via a trial.

Could that be why LE seemed determined that it was M/S in the beginning? Instead of a 'suicide note', they had a 911 hangup which they believed came from B, and they figured he may have been attempting to report his wife dead, but then he went and killed himself too?

I just can’t imagine how a hangup 911 call would ever be perceived as an automatic indication of m/s. But then we still don’t really know if TPS ever truly believed that or if it was an unofficial leak or if it was a early investigative tactic considering that’s how the bodies were staged.

One thing I was thinking regarding the mystery man who went to the S house - I’d be really surprised any one single plainclothes officer in an unmarked vehicle would ever respond to 911 calls alone, whether it was a hangup or not. And as the neighbour had a video it should be obvious if that person was a police officer. Unless he was and this information was held back, as LE did indicate they’d spoken to this person.

The more tiny bits of unexpected information that are revealed, the greater twisted and confusing this case becomes.

I just can’t imagine how a hangup 911 call would ever be perceived as an automatic indication of m/s. But then we still don’t really know if TPS ever truly believed that or if it was an unofficial leak or if it was a early investigative tactic considering that’s how the bodies were staged.

One thing I was thinking regarding the mystery man who went to the S house - I’d be really surprised any one single plainclothes officer in an unmarked vehicle would ever respond to 911 calls alone, whether it was a hangup or not. And as the neighbour had a video it should be obvious if that person was a police officer. Unless he was and this information was held back, as LE did indicate they’d spoken to this person.

The more tiny bits of unexpected information that are revealed, the greater twisted and confusing this case becomes.
A 911 hangup call would not be perceived to be an indication of M/S in and of itself.. but it may have been by the following day, along with other things, such as the staging of the bodies (although I'm still not getting how the appearance of the bodies would lend itself to a M/S theory in the first place).

I'm not sure if it's protocol for officers to attend 911 hangup calls singularly, or if they must respond with two officers... and further, what if the person at the S house, and the officer at the neighbor's door re the 911 call, were from the same vehicle/call?

The neighbor's video would not make it obvious if the person was a police officer, if the officer was a plainclothed officer in an unmarked vehicle.

And yes, I could see this info being 'hold-back' info.

A 911 hangup call would not be perceived to be an indication of M/S in and of itself.. but it may have been by the following day, along with other things, such as the staging of the bodies (although I'm still not getting how the appearance of the bodies would lend itself to a M/S theory in the first place).

I'm not sure if it's protocol for officers to attend 911 hangup calls singularly, or if they must respond with two officers... and further, what if the person at the S house, and the officer at the neighbor's door re the 911 call, were from the same vehicle/call?

The neighbor's video would not make it obvious if the person was a police officer, if the officer was a plainclothed officer in an unmarked vehicle.

And yes, I could see this info being 'hold-back' info.

From what I have read imo the video perhaps wasn’t clear enough to identify the car as being a squad car or a non marked car.
When the police came to my office for false 911 calls both times 2 police officers attended the call. I’m not sure if this is regular procedure or not, or whether they came in one car or two cars.

We know that the car and gentleman was at the Sherman home between 9:00 am and 11:00 am Thursday, have the TPS said at what time they had the 911 call?
I am trying hard to connect the 911 call with the Sherman's deaths. Is it possibly there is no connection. The 911 call was just a mis-dial or a pocket dial? It is not that rare of an occurrence.

I cannot see any reason the perpetrators would make the call on purpose.

Now if the 911 call was from Barry or Honey's phone, and it occurred sometime after the Shermans arrived home Wednesday evening, and before the estimated time of deaths, then possibly it was one of the Shermans calling for help as they were aware they were in mortal danger. The TPS could likely identify the source phone in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46