Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

I have read on a FB page, people moaning and groaning about Jayme’s fundraisers.

Jealousy because of something no one would wish upon their worst enemy.

The amount of therapy she will need. Wow! And there may not be one very close.

A house designed in which to feel as safe s possible such as bullet proof windows which is what I would have.

Who knows what else that will cost huge money.

Sad that people have to be so small
WTF is wrong with these people?? :mad:

MAY 4, 2019
Jayme Closs attends benefit, receives national award
At a benefit in her honor Saturday, Jayme Closs was given a national award.

**Jayme was in the crowd**in Barron High School's gymnasium as the American Legion Auxiliary gave her their Youth Hero Award, citing her bravery.

Her aunt and uncle, Bob and Jennifer Smith, accepted the award on her behalf on a stage in the gym.

KARE 11 did not take photos or video of Jayme, as her family requested.

[...]
Awww ...** that just made my day!

MAY 8, 2019
Jayme family event raises $40,000; Between 1,000 and 1,300 people attended, including Jayme
5cd2dd11bb85b.image.jpg

Live and silent auctions took place during the May 4 fundraiser for Bob and Jennifer Smith, aunt and uncle of Jayme Closs. Bidders visited auction tables in the Barron High School gymnasium.

Barron contractor BB stepped to a microphone early Saturday afternoon, May 4, 2019, at Barron High School, to announce that “a special young lady was coming” to a community benefit that drew well over 1,000 people to the school gymnasium and commons.

He was right.

Shortly before a 2 p.m. ceremony, Jayme Closs accompanied her aunt and uncle, rural Barron residents Bob and Jennifer Smith, into the gym.

[...]

Jayme has been in counseling since her escape, and BB said that had to be kept in mind as the May 4 event drew nearer on the calendar.

“Some of her counselors said yes, it was OK for her to come,” he said. “Some said no. Bob and Jennifer made the final decision.”

[...]

Although a complete accounting hadn’t been finished by press time Tuesday, BB estimated some $40,000 in proceeds was raised at the May 4 celebration.

“My estimate was that we had between 1,000 and 1,300 people,” he said.

[...]

VIDEO: Fundraiser for Jayme Closs family surpasses goal
Organizers say that they received calls from all around the country asking how they can help and what to donate for the benefit.

Man pleads guilty to Closs burglary
A Cameron man who was arrested after entering the home of kidnap victim Jayme Closs in late October 2018 will be sentenced June 26, 2019, after pleading guilty to a single felony count of burglary during a May 3 hearing in Barron County Circuit Court.

Last edited:
Kidnapped teen Jayme Closs is honored with local hero award | Daily Mail Online

• Jayme Closs, 13, was presented with a Wisconsin Hometown Hero award at the State Capitol on Wednesday
  • It is the most public appearance to date for Jayme after she escaped her kidnapper in January after being held captive for 88 days
  • Jayme smiled as she was given a standing ovation by members of the Wisconsin State Assembly after being honored for her bravery and strong will
  • A nationwide search was launched for Jayme last year after her parents -James Closs, 56, and Denise Closs, 46 - were found shot dead in their family home
  • She was miraculously found alive on January 10 after managing to escape a remote cabin where she was being held
  • Her abductor, 21-year-old Jake Patterson, has pleaded guilty to kidnapping Jayme and killing her parents
13540552-7033457-Kidnapped_teenager_Jayme_Closs_was_presented_with_a_Wisconsin_Ho-m-52_1557945264133.jpg

wire-13543050-1557947882-931_634x472.jpg

13541132-7033457-image-m-42_1557944181104.jpg

ETA: Great to see JC looking like a normal teen. :):):D:D

Kidnapped teen Jayme Closs is honored with local hero award | Daily Mail Online

• Jayme Closs, 13, was presented with a Wisconsin Hometown Hero award at the State Capitol on Wednesday
  • It is the most public appearance to date for Jayme after she escaped her kidnapper in January after being held captive for 88 days
  • Jayme smiled as she was given a standing ovation by members of the Wisconsin State Assembly after being honored for her bravery and strong will
  • A nationwide search was launched for Jayme last year after her parents -James Closs, 56, and Denise Closs, 46 - were found shot dead in their family home
  • She was miraculously found alive on January 10 after managing to escape a remote cabin where she was being held
  • Her abductor, 21-year-old Jake Patterson, has pleaded guilty to kidnapping Jayme and killing her parents
13540552-7033457-Kidnapped_teenager_Jayme_Closs_was_presented_with_a_Wisconsin_Ho-m-52_1557945264133.jpg

wire-13543050-1557947882-931_634x472.jpg

13541132-7033457-image-m-42_1557944181104.jpg

ETA: Great to see JC looking like a normal teen. :):):D:D
She definitely looks healthier than the pics taken right after she escaped. So happy she’s safe!

I've got mixed feeling about the fund raiser. I don't begrudge any monies that JC receives but if the family wants the media to back off and give JC the opportunity for as much of a normal childhood going forward as possible; this is not helping IMO. After sentencing of JP I hope JC's name drops off media attention till she is ready to tell her story after reaching adulthood. She needs the next five years to grow up as a child as much is possible.

Does anyone know how the monies she has received in her name is held and allowed to be spent by JC and her guardian? At a minimum she receives monthly SS survivor benefits till she is 18, any company insurance for her parents, any 401k from her parents, the company reward, previous donations, sale of her parents house, state victims funds.

Granted none of the monies make up for the loss of her parents or the trauma JC endured.

Best wishes for you JC.

@Ragnarok, I understand your mixed feelings, however...

give or take, she is an orphan. And life is long; she wants to graduate, eventually, go to college, date, have a wedding. All of it costs money. There will be no parents to help her financially at that point, she is on her own. :(

Horrible as it may sound, whatever money she can make for her future plans, she can make only now. As you have said, after sentencing, her story will drop off media attention.

Here is how I would look at it. It is a complicated situation, but I see no push to donate to her cause. If people who are moved by her story want to help her, there is nothing wrong with this, either.

It will take her years in therapy to sort things out. And maybe not as much now as when she grows up.

I understand there are very evil people in this world but they normally have red flags growing up and I don't mean anti-social behavior. I think I was shocked that the length he went to, to get what he wanted, like he was entitled, was purely about selfishness and not a mental disorder. I knew he knew right from wrong so I knew it wasn't a defense.

He was obsessed with her. Not unlike much younger kids get obsessed with planes, trains, or Lego sets; they can’t think of anything else. In his delusional imaginary world, she wanted the same as he did, and he was removing all obstacles, including her parents. It is a mental disorder in the way that he does not think like most people. Not a defense, of course. Obsession.

I’m so very happy to see Jayme is doing so good! (Well, she appears to be, but she’s got a lot to deal with. Bless her, I hate even thinking about it.) I think about her and all that happened quite often. I stay off this thread for the most part because I just want this precious soul to be able to have as private a life as possible. (I’m not judging at all: that’s just my own personal decision as to what feels right for only me.) I’m so grateful she has an amazing family and community supporting her. I check in from time to time to make sure all’s as well as it can be right now. Way to go, Jayme! You’re so very strong and brave, just like your family. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back