Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re referring to this below. It’s very confusing too, why hold a PC if they already have the information. It sort of makes me question if the senior officers who are authorized to publicly speak on the case have good knowledge of the facts because what Riley says is different than what Carter has said. But here he’s not actually quoted saying the driver and the suspect are connected. It’d be interesting to see the actual interview because it could also be the reporter’s mistaken assumption drawn from the previous PC, in the form of adding background information to this report.

“Police are still hoping for fresh tips about one piece of information released in the news conference.

"We're still looking for the car that was parked in the lot," Riley told News 18. "If somebody can give us that information, we want that information as quickly as possible."

The importance of the car also ties into why police now believe the killer is local. Riley said after reviewing many tips, investigators determined he was able to get around quickly on the day the girls were killed, and seemed to know the area.

The car would have been seen between noon and five on Feb. 13, 2017 at the old DCS parking lot, according to police. The office is on County Road 300 North near the Hoosier Heartland Highway. The building has since been demolished and the lot is vacant.

Since police believe the killer is local, and because the case has received so much of their focus over the last two years, News 18 also asked Riley if there was a chance the killer could be someone police have already interviewed.

"Somebody may have already interviewed him," said Riley. "I'm not going to say they have or have not, but there's a possibility that has happened. The person apparently gave the investigating officers the information they were looking for. We have to try to go back and check on the information that we have received."...”
ISP on Delphi killer: 'Somebody may have already interviewed him'
Yes, that's it. Thank you! Like many other things, it is somewhat convoluted.

The importance of the car also ties into why police now believe the killer is local. Riley said after reviewing many tips, investigators determined he was able to get around quickly on the day the girls were killed, and seemed to know the area.

I wonder if witnesses spotted the car in more than one location that afternoon.

Last edited:

Yeah convoluted it is. I don’t know what “get around” is supposed to mean because a car parked from noon to 5pm isn’t dashing anywhere, in or out, quickly.

I thought the suspect was considered local because of his knowledge of the trails? But if so, LE should’ve known that from the beginning. My only other guess is it comes from what this witness noticed, whatever it was they thought LE should know at the time the tip was initially made.

Yeah convoluted it is. I don’t know what “get around” is supposed to mean because a car parked from noon to 5pm isn’t dashing anywhere, in or out, quickly.

I thought the suspect was considered local because of his knowledge of the trails? But if so, LE should’ve known that from the beginning. My only other guess is it comes from what this witness noticed, whatever it was they thought LE should know at the time the tip was initially made.
Yeah, that could be read more than one way. I guess since he mentions the car (and does this mean we can assume it was a car, vs. any other type of vehicle) being tied in the first sentence, I thought the part about getting around also meant the car. But that 12-5 time frame, even if extended as a precaution...It is confusing.

One year after the murders, Doug Carter stated unequivocally that LE had no information about a vehicle. So, it seems there were no witnesses who spotted a car. DC was left to guess that BG had a vehicle somewhere in the vicinity.

One year after the murders, Doug Carter stated unequivocally that LE had no information about a vehicle. So, it seems there were no witnesses who spotted a car. DC was left to guess that BG had a vehicle somewhere in the vicinity.
That's interesting. Something must have happened, because after another year goes by, they're looking for the driver of a vehicle, say the vehicle ties into the case, they think BG is local based on tips, and are reassessing evidence. They could have footage of the car driving by several locations in town, but didn't know they had it until they got a more recent tip about that same car at the DCS lot? Just a guess.

Yeah, that could be read more than one way. I guess since he mentions the car (and does this mean we can assume it was a car, vs. any other type of vehicle) being tied in the first sentence, I thought the part about getting around also meant the car. But that 12-5 time frame, even if extended as a precaution...It is confusing.

Even this statement, take away the car, and it doesn’t say the latest suspect was seen during the time of the murders. Just that the person “saw something” they felt needed to reported a few days later. Maybe they saw something that morning or evening of the murders or a day or two later.

“But this sketch is not new. The sketch released Monday was drawn on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported, according to the sketch artist.”
Delphi murders: Investigators have had newly released suspect sketch for 2 years

Last edited:
I wonder if biking in Delphi is a normal thing. The past two cities I have lived in you throw on 2 layers (which BG looks to be wearing at least 2) and you grab your bike and go. No matter what time of the year. A bike would be easy to stash behind a tree or brush without it
I think you’re referring to this below. It’s very confusing too, why hold a PC if they already have the information. It sort of makes me question if the senior officers who are authorized to publicly speak on the case have good knowledge of the facts because what Riley says is different than what Carter has said. But here he’s not actually quoted saying the driver and the suspect are connected. It’d be interesting to see the actual interview because it could also be the reporter’s mistaken assumption drawn from the previous PC, in the form of adding background information to this report.

“Police are still hoping for fresh tips about one piece of information released in the news conference.

"We're still looking for the car that was parked in the lot," Riley told News 18. "If somebody can give us that information, we want that information as quickly as possible."

The car would have been seen between noon and five on Feb. 13, 2017 at the old DCS parking lot, according to police. The office is on County Road 300 North near the Hoosier Heartland Highway. The building has since been demolished and the lot is vacant.

Since police believe the killer is local, and because the case has received so much of their focus over the last two years, News 18 also asked Riley if there was a chance the killer could be someone police have already interviewed.

"Somebody may have already interviewed him," said Riley. "I'm not going to say they have or have not, but there's a possibility that has happened. The person apparently gave the investigating officers the information they were looking for. We have to try to go back and check on the information that we have received."...”

Even this statement, take away the car, and it doesn’t say the latest suspect was seen during the time of the murders. Just that the person “saw something” they felt needed to reported a few days days. Maybe they saw something that morning or evening of the murders or a day or two later.

“But this sketch is not new. The sketch released Monday was drawn on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported, according to the sketch artist.”
Delphi murders: Investigators have had newly released suspect sketch for 2 years
That's a really good point.

MOO "gave the investigating officers tbe information they were looking for"

I don't understand what this means, my guess is the police were told a lie that sounded plausible at the time.

MOO "gave the investigating officers tbe information they were looking for"

I don't understand what this means, my guess is the police were told a lie that sounded plausible at the time.
BBM

An alibi that was fake?
JMO

That's interesting. Something must have happened, because after another year goes by, they're looking for the driver of a vehicle, say the vehicle ties into the case, they think BG is local based on tips, and are reassessing evidence. They could have footage of the car driving by several locations in town, but didn't know they had it until they got a more recent tip about that same car at the DCS lot? Just a guess.

There must be a reason information about the driver of the parked vehicle is no longer of interest to LE because they’ve removed any mention of a vehicle whatsoever in the recent requests for tips.

“State police also remind tipsters to remember the following when submitting tips:

• Be specific as possible to a description
  • Name and age if possible
  • A connection to Delphi and that person’s location or address at this time
  • Leaving information on how we can contact you for possible clarification of your tip is helpful but not required
"Please remember that we are looking for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who committed this crime," Indiana State Police said in their release...”
Delphi: Over 3k tips received since new sketch released

There must be a reason information about the driver of the parked vehicle is no longer of interest to LE because they’ve removed any mention of a vehicle whatsoever in the recent requests for tips.

“State police also remind tipsters to remember the following when submitting tips:

• Be specific as possible to a description
  • Name and age if possible
  • A connection to Delphi and that person’s location or address at this time
  • Leaving information on how we can contact you for possible clarification of your tip is helpful but not required
"Please remember that we are looking for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who committed this crime," Indiana State Police said in their release...”
Delphi: Over 3k tips received since new sketch released
Oh, just one more thing. You might almost be convincing me that the vehicle belonged to the witness...

That's a really good point.

It might explain why sketch one who was sighted near the trails around the time of the murders rose to greater significance than sketch two, a person who somebody “saw something” regarding him that appeared suspicious maybe even before or after the murders.

LE has never said they believe the suspected murderer was sighted on the trail by anyone and so I think he wasn’t. And if nobody saw him, it’s likely he didn’t walk the public trail in order to get to the bridge.

ETA - That he knew he wasn’t sighted might’ve been the reason he committed murder.

Last edited:
If he did have all that planned out, than why didn't he park in the cemetery?

I've wondered if he didn't park there... but, I think parking in the CPS lot was a better choice for several reasons.
The CPS parking lot was less noticeable imo, and people driving by to park in the front entrance parking lot might hardly notice the car there. If I had seen it there that day, I would have a quick thought of;

"Must have been more people earlier and all the parking spots by the entrance were filled. I'm glad I came later... don't like the park when there's too many people here..."
(ask me about the car in 5 minutes and I'd know nothing more than the color of it... and even that would be a maybe)

Anyone going to the cemetery, on the other hand, provides parking along the rows for cemetery parking only. Anyone going to the cemetery to place flowers or "remember" a loved one that day would notice a car just sitting there empty with no driver in sight anywhere, imo. People often spend a little time in cemeteries when they go to "visit" so there would be a longer period of exposure to the car... more of a thought process involved concerning the empty car... no sign of a driver visiting in the cemetery. I'm not the most observant person because I tend to mind my own business but I know I would be able to describe the car that was there the whole time I was.

LE have stated the two sketches are of two different people. After the PC, there were several “ updates”.....aka clarifications.

Here’s the complete list, just for reference.

BBM

Indiana State Police release new sketch of Delphi murder suspect | Carroll County Calendar
UPDATE FROM INDIANA STATE POLICE ON APRIL 23, 2019:

Delphi, IN – The Multi-Agency Task Force is providing the below points of clarification after yesterday’s informational news conference.

• A car was parked in the abandoned CPS building parking lot between the hours of noon and 5:00 p.m. on February 13, 2017
    • We are looking for anyone who could give a description of vehicles that were in the parking lot during the time
  • The location of the abandoned CPS building was 6931 West 300 North, Delphi, IN
    • The building has since been demolished and the lot is vacant
  • The Multi-Agency Task Force is seeking tips and information about how the subject depicted in the sketch is linked to the Delphi area.
    • The Task Force is not asking for investigative suggestions
    • Tips on the suspect sketch are our main interest
  • When sending a tip to the abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com email address, please do not leave just a name and number to call
    • Provide specific tip information in your email
    • Please include your name and contact phone number
      • This is for investigators to follow up if they need clarification on your tip
      • Your contact information will remain confidential

UPDATE FROM INDIANA STATE POLICE ON APRIL 24, 2019:

Delphi, Indiana – In the early days and months of the Delphi Murder investigation information was developed about suspect descriptions. It was initially believed the sketch that has been in public view over the last two years of a person in the age range of his 40’s to 50’s was a person of interest in this murder investigation. Now, as the investigation has matured and past information has been reassessed, it is the belief of investigators with the Multi-Agency Task Force that the person depicted in the sketch released on April 22nd more accurately represents the person wanted for the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

It is important to distinguish these points about the two sketches:

• They are not the same person
  • The person depicted in the originally released sketch is not presently a person of interest in this investigation
  • The sketch released on April 22nd is representative of the face of the person captured in the video on Liberty German’s cell phone as he was walking on the high bridge
  • The person in the sketch released April 22nd is described as having a youthful appearance, but could fall in the age range from his 20’s to late 30’s
  • This person’s appearance could look different today if he has grown a mustache, beard or let his hair grow longer or cut his hair shorter than depicted in the sketch
Members of the Delphi community should reflect back on people they know in the community that look similar to the sketch released on April 22nd, especially if that person has changed their appearance since the murders occurred in February of 2017.

So for LE to know this, they have to know who the person depicted in the first sketch actually is right? Or they would not be able to say this, IMO.

If you’re referring to the two different sketches, what would be the reason for LE to state the sketches are of different people if there was reason to believe the murderer was disguised?

I'm not referring to two different sketches. It's clear if you read the comment I was replying to. My comment is a comparison of the actual photograph of BG on the bridge which was taken from Libby's video... and how I think the man in that photo has disguised himself so the photo cannot be expected to look like the sketch #2 that was released in April 2019, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member